The Delhi School of Economics (DSE) is a center of postgraduate learning of the University of Delhi. The Delhi School of Economics is one of India’s premier institutes of higher learning. The school was launched in 1949 by V.K.R.V. Rao, with the support of the then Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru. It grew out of a vision that a newly independent nation, which aspired to social and economic progress, needed a vibrant center for advanced studies in the social sciences. The Delhi School of Economics is situated in University of Delhi's North Campus in Maurice Nagar.
Click here DSE Admissions
- The department of economics was designated a Centre of Advanced Study by the University Grants Commission
- DSE is affiliated with University of Delhi
- The department of economics, along with its sister departments of geography and sociology, has produced many of the country’s leading academics, educators, administrators, policymakers, corporate leaders, and journalists
- It remains even today the leading center in South Asia for advanced training and research in Economics, Geography, and Sociology
- The name of the library is Ratan Tata Library (RTL)
- The total collection comprises 2.5 lakh volumes of books and bound periodicals. Nearly 1300 current titles are being received in the Library
DSE Courses and Admissions
Ph. D./M. Phil
DSE Undergraduate Admissions
- Admission to BA program is done on the basis of merit scored in class 12th/entrance passed
- Admission to BA Economics is given on the basis of percent scored in 12th/marks scored in the entrance exam.
DSE Postgraduate Admissions
- The M.A. in Economics is a two-year full-time programme, with each year comprising the summer and winter semesters.
- This programme study consists of fifteen courses, of which six are compulsory core courses and nine are elective/optional courses in M.A Economics.
- M.A Economics programme is required to be completed within the span of four years in the initial admission of the student.
- English is the medium of instruction and examination.
DSE M.Phil. / Ph. D. Admissions
- All those admitted to the Ph.D. Programme will be required to do a coursework for two semesters and will be evaluated at the end of each semester.
- Provisional admission of each student to the Ph.D. programme will be confirmed only after successful completion of coursework with a defiance of the thesis topic in a departmental seminar.
- With the same applied to students applying for M. Phil admissions.
Check DSE Fees
DSE graduates have a world of opportunity open up for them. Many are recruited directly from campus by prestigious Indian and multi-national companies, who highly value the analytical and quantitative skills that the program emphasizes on their students. The department’s placement cell assists students in finding suitable employment. The elite companies such as Accenture, AIG, Amazon, American Express, ANZ, Barclays, IBM, Economic Times, CRY, TCS have recruited students from over a decade.
Also, Check DSE Placement
The scholarship is provided to students on the basis of their grades and rank scored while taking admission in the M.A/B.A program.
- A Scholarship is given to students as per the government norms
- Reserved category students get access to the scholarship program.
DSE Notable Alumni
DSE alumni can be found among the faculty of the world’s leading universities such as Harvard, Princeton, LSE, and Oxford, in international agencies like the World Bank, IMF or Asian Development Bank, as well as in the higher echelons of government.
Executive Director, International Monetary Fund
Former Deputy Governor, RBI
Chairperson, Board of Governor, ICRIER
Professor, University of California
Chief Economist, India at Citibank
Professor, Harvard University
- Library: The Ratan Tata library, considered to be housing the best collection in economics in the country, has over 1,80,000 books, subscribes to nearly 1,25,000 bound periodicals and collects numerous publications of governments and international agencies.
- Computer labs: Department’s computer labs are well equipped with new computers and printers, high-speed internet access and advanced software like STATA, GAUSS, EVIEWS, and SCIENTIFIC WORKPLACE.
- Faculty and students: Who have access to electronic resources and databases like JSTOR and ECONLIT.
- Two large lecture theatres and several classrooms are fitted with state-of-the-art audio-visual equipment. The professional support staff is always standing by to help.
- Canteen: For the students and staff member there is an eating place where they can relax and have scrumptious food.