Government Medical College and Hospital is one of the most preferred institutions for UG and PG medical education medical studies aspirants The college was founded by the former Prime Minister of India, Shri Chandra Shekhar, in 1991. It is ranked among the elite medical institutions in the country.
- It was started with a minimum intake of 50 students, and now has been increased to 100
- The priority of GMCH is to provide teaching and training facilities of outstanding standard to the medical students
- It has set new standards in healthcare and attracts a large number of patients both regionally and nationally.\
- The College is affiliated by the Punjab University for the MBBS course.
- Admissions to this Medical College are purely made on merit basis.
- GMCH has nearly 250 teaching staff including both the basic and clinical departments and an addition of 70 junior residents.
- College has been recognized for the award of MBBS degree by Government of India, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare
- GMCH offers UG courses in various allied health sciences. It also provides post-doctoral training in mostly all clinical specialties. The faculty is extremely qualified and is selected directly through UPSC
- Besides the academic excellence, students of this College have consistently performed well at different cultural, literary and sports activities
- The Institute offers several facilities to its students so that they can pursue their courses without any obstruction and achieve the goal of their life through the education offered by it. The facilities offered by the university include Health Care, Hostel, Library, Guest House & several others
- The college has been consistently ranked among top 25 medical institutions in India.
- Students of this College have consistently performed well at various University examinations which are conducted by the Punjab University form time to time.They have also performed extremely well at the interviews conducted by the UPSC, Armed Forces Medical Services and the interviews conducted by other State Public Service Commissions. A huge number of students have been placed abroad, in countries like USA
It is a place in which literary and artistic materials, like books, newspapers, periodicals, pamphlets, records, prints, and tapes, are kept for reading & reference. GMC Library is high tech and fully automated. It has an huge collection of books and around 2700 online journals
The college has 4 well-furnished hostel:
No. of Rooms