Established in 1966, Indira Gandhi Medical College was set up in Shimla to provide education in the field of medicine to local students, eventually, the college grew and now it admits nearly 300+ students in its various undergraduate and postgraduate courses with nearly 20 specializations for the students. The college is affiliated to Himachal Pradesh University and all the admissions are carried out under its guidelines. The college welcomes students based on their performance in NEET UG and NEET PG examinations.
IGMC Shimla Highlights
|Established in | Institution type||1966 | Government|
|Affiliated to||Himachal Pradesh University|
|Admissions through||Merit-based list|
|Entrance exam||NEET U.G, NEET P.G|
|Courses offered||MBBS, MD, MS, DM, Nursing|
|Facilities||Hostel, library, and sports clubs|
IGMC Shimla Courses
IGMC Shimla provides assistance in 3 undergraduate courses and 5 postgraduate courses with nearly 20 specializations in the field of medicine and surgery. Some of the courses are tabulated below:
|B.Sc Paramedical courses||Anesthesia and OT techniques Laboratory Radiology and imaging Renal Dialysis techniques||Eligibility: Intermediate graduate and CET merit rank
Duration: 3 years
|MBBS||Medical||Eligibility: Intermediate graduate and NEET U.G. merit rank
Duration: 5.5 years
|MD/MS||Anesthesiology Anatomy Community medicine||Eligibility: MBBS and NEET P.G merit rank
Duration: 3 years
|M.Sc Nursing||Nursing||Eligibility: B.Sc Nursing
Duration: 2 years
Click here IGMC Shimla Courses and Fees
IGMC Shimla Admissions
Indira Gandhi Medical College at Shimla offers an array of courses to help students specialize in the medical fraternity. The college offers B.Sc and M.Sc. in Nursing, MBBS, MD, MS, and DNB courses in medical courses. There are also technical courses Anesthesia, Operation Theatre, and Laboratory Science.
How to Apply?
To apply for the courses at IGMC, the following steps should be followed:
- Apply for respective entrance exams according to the desired course. The different entrance exams are CET, NEET UG, NEET PG.
- Await for results and merit rank of the exam. After receiving results, apply for the counseling process.
- If the process is cleared, then an application to college is possible.
- Report to college with payment of fees, documents, and mark sheets.
Check IGMC Shimla Admission
IGMC Shimla Placement
Indira Gandhi Medical College does not have placement facilities. But the college provides a lot of opportunities for a paid internship and higher education with a stipend. And yet, there are a lot of hospitals and places where there is a good demand for doctors in the field. Thus doctors would usually get medical jobs quite easily.
Know more IGMC Shimla Placement
IGMC Shimla Scholarship
The college has a scholarship for its finest students. The top three scorers of each batch, each year get the stipend of INR 200 per month which is INR 2400 per annum. The college also assists in gaining government scholarships. There are scholarships for economically weaker students and scholarships for SC, ST and OBC candidates. The state government also has meritorious students scholarships.
Read more IGMC Shimla Scholarship
IGMC Shimla Facilities
The college has a number of facilities to aid learning in the institution:
- Hostel: The college has a separate girls and boys hostel in the premises itself. With common rooms, T.V rooms and indoor play areas.
- Mess: The college has a mess facility for the hostel students. It is hygienic and follows all the safety measures.
- Library: The college has a library and a separate reading room for studying. The library has an excellent collection of books for all the bookworms and also, a great collection of reference books related to the courses for enhancing the knowledge of the students.
- Gym: The college focuses on the overall development of its students and hence it encourages physical activities too. The gym has a trainer and is fully equipped.
- Sports clubs: The college has a sports ground for students to encourage physical activities amongst themselves.
- Computer lab: The college has a completely equipped computer lab for providing students an access to the virtual learning experience.
- Laboratories: The college has well equipped laboratories to help students gain practical knowledge and apply it in the future.
Click here IGMC Shimla Hostel
IGMC Shimla Faculty
The college is run by 207 doctors from 20 departments of the college, each of them having a minimum experience of 5-10 years. There are numerous departments that are working for a hassle-free stay of the student by these professors like the student grievances cell and the anti-ragging cell.
Check IGMC Shimla Faculty
IGMC Shimla FAQs
Ques. What are the hostel charges?
Ques. Is the hostel available to B.Sc students?
Ques. What is the intake of DM cardiology and MCH CTVS?
Ques. What is the intake of M.Sc Nursing?
Ques. What is the procedure for admission in M.Sc?