KJ Somaiya Medical College was established in 1991 by Padmabhushan (late) Pujya Shri.Karamshi Jethabhai Somaiya. The college is affiliated to the Maharashtra University of Health Sciences (MUHS), Nashik. It offers Bachelor, Master and Diploma Courses in various field of Medical Science
- The college is owned and managed by the Somaiya Medical Trust
- The college is associated with KJ Somaiya Hospital & Research Centre offers affordable healthcare services in various disciplines to society and participates in National Health Programmes
- Training Hospital has 500 beds with all modern facilities
- The college has 145 qualified experienced teaching faculty and 104 Resident Doctors working in 21 well equipped departments
- The college enrolled 50 students in MBBS per year
- It is situated in the Somaiya Ayurvihar Complex which is located on a 22.5 acre campus in the heart of city of Mumbai at Sion on Eastern Express Highway
- The college has 21 departments, Class rooms, Labs, Research Labs, Library, OPDs, Wards, Operation Theatres, Casualty, ICU, AKD, Central Pathology Lab, Blood Bank and Canteen etc.
- A separate workshop is situated in the campus for routine repairs and maintenance of equipment. It has 24 skilled workers and providing services of Carpenter, electricians, Motor Mechanic, Technicians, Service Engineer, Foreman, Black Smith, Helper, Plumber etc. A diesel operated 180 KV Generator is used in emergency in case of power breakdown. Workshop is equipped with all necessary machines
- Sports- Students participate in various state and national level competitions and won prizes. College has won gold Medal in Chess Competition held in AIMMS, New Delhi, silver Medal in 100 Mtrs. Running in Vidyavihar etc.
- CME programme: It was held as one of the event of AKARSHAN in collaboration of Dept. of Medicine and the to pic selected this year was on WHO them "Hypertension"
- ICMR project: Final year student has undertaken ICMR project on "The role of Qualitative Urine Analysis in Patients Presenting with abdominal pain of Urological origin in preventing future urolithiasis
- College Magazine: The college publish annual magazine, Darpan, so that students may express their ideas in the form of articles, Poems, jokes and quotes
The college library has an area of 16,000 sq.ft. with seating capacity of 200 students. The Library has 14,620 books and 61 Journals including 37 National and 24 International. Each Department has separate Departmental Library having 100-120 books.
The college has 5 lecture halls. Two Lecture Halls having seating capacity for 150 students. Other two Lecture Halls accommodate 100 students each. There is one Lecture hall/ Auditorium of 400 seats. Each Lecture Hall is equipped with Audio-Visual System and Over Head Projector. LCD Projector is fixed in two Lecture Halls.
The college has 6 demonstration rooms accommodate 60 students in each.
The college has 6 labs in which there are Central Pathology lab for general and specialized investigations, 2 Research Labs, Departmental Labs etc.
Aakarshan- It is annual inter-college festival celebrated in March. Events held during the program include singing, dance competitions, fashion show, antakshari, Mediquiz, G. K. quiz, debate fun-n- fair, and treasure huntn etc. Various sports events are also held as a part of akarshan.