Updated On - December 12th 2017
Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences is a Christian Minority Institution which was founded in 2002 by the Madras Medical Mission. It is made up of two colleges namely Medical College & Nursing College. The college is approved for full recognition by MCI for MBBS Degree granted by the Pondicherry University
- PIMS has also been recognized by the Ministry of the Health
- It has six health centers functioning now actively, in urban and rural areas
- The College enrolled 100 students for undergraduate courses and 28 students for postgraduate courses every year
- The college has 590 bedded hospital with special room facilities and Intensive care units and round the clock trauma services and has a built up area of nearly 7.5 lakh square feet
- College of Nursing Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences which is a part of this college was established in 2004, and has annual intake of 110 students
- College of Nursing Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences is recognized by Indian Nursing Council and Tamil Nadu Nurses and Midwives Council, Tamil Nadu
- The college has urban health center (Muthialpet) and rural health center (Anaichakuppam). The services that are provided at this centre have been a great help for the people in the community
- The Institute spreads across 32 acres of landscaped greenery and a view of the Coromandel Coast. Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences’ excellent state of the art and hi- tech facilities are available for the students so that the students do not face in obstruction in studies and day to day activities and can become world class professionals
Research has been conducted on various fields like Ejection fraction at the first attack of myocardial infarction and post infarction survival in South Indian population, dermatology prescription, Hepatoprotective activities of picroliv, curcumin, and ellagic acid compared to silymarin on carbon tetrachloride-induced liver toxicity in mice.
College of Nursing students are given an opportunity to participate community activities like immunization programs, school health programs, home visit, street play, role play, projects, health talk, mass health programs and cooking demonstration are carried out in both rural and urban health centers.Students are involved in various college events such as:
- National Social Service scheme (NSS)
- Red Ribbon Club
- Inter collegiate sports & cultural festival
- Observation of National & International Health days
- Fresher’s welcome
- Seniors farewell
- Annual Festival
The campus houses a 560 bedded teaching hospital along with the various support and ancillary facilities required and has a built up area of nearly 7.5 lakh square feet.
The College has library with good stock of 1800 text books and Indian and International journals on various subjects.
The College provides many gaming facilities.
- Indoor games include Table Tennis, Indoor Shuttle, etc.
- Outdoor games include Football, Basketball, Volleyball, Throw ball, Tennis and lot more.
There is an auditorium with capacity of accommodating 700 people
Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences organizes festivals which are managed by the students themselves and they can learn cultural values, management techniques and leadership skills.Some of the festivals conducted by the college are:
- Aura- It is the annual cultural, literary, sports and medical festival. It has events like music, dance, block and tackle, dumb charades, movie quiz, mehendi, face painting, collage, rangoli, creative writing, eating contest, photography. etc.
- L’Auro- It is a rock festival. It includes a rock competition and a rock show
- Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences is constantly ranked among the top 100 medical colleges in India due to the quality education provided to the students
- According to www.jobrelease.in the institute is ranked 35th among 100 top medical colleges in India