Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences is a Christian Minority Institution which was founded in 2002 by the Madras Medical Mission. It is made up of two colleges namely Medical College & Nursing College. The college is approved for full recognition by MCI for MBBS Degree granted by the Pondicherry University as it is fully affiliated to Pondicherry University.
- PIMS has also been recognized by the Ministry of the Health.
- It has six health centers functioning now actively, in urban and rural areas.
- The College enrolled about 150 students for undergraduate courses and approx 50 students for postgraduate courses every year.
- The college has 590 bedded hospital with special room facilities and Intensive care units and round the clock trauma services and has a built-up area of nearly 7.5 lakh square feet.
- College of Nursing Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences which is a part of this college was established in 2004 and has an annual intake of approx 110 students in UG & PG Courses.
- College of Nursing Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences is recognized by Indian Nursing Council and Tamilnadu Nurses and Midwives Council, Tamilnadu.
- The college has an urban health center (Muthialpet) and rural health center (Anaichakuppam). The services that are provided at this center have been a great help for the people in the community.
- The Institute spreads across 32 acres of landscaped greenery and a view of the Coromandel Coast. Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences’ excellent state of the art and hi-tech facilities are available for the students so that the students do not face in obstruction in studies and day to day activities and can become world-class professionals.
Check Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences Admission
Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences Highlights
Type of College
Medical Council of India (MCI)
R.V. Nagar, Kalapet, Pondicherry - 605014,
Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences Courses & Admission
The college provides an MBBS Course at Undergraduate level along with 20 postgraduate courses in various specializations with a limited number of student annual intake. Admissions to different courses are subject to change as per the eligibility criteria listed below:
For MBBS, 10+2 with 45% in Physics, Chemistry, Biology (40% for SC/ST aspirants) and a qualifying score in National Eligibility and Entrance Test (NEET) conducted by CBSE.
For PG Degree, an applicant must hold an MBBS degree from a recognized institution along with a qualifying scorecard in NEET PG conducted by National Board of Education (NBE).
The college also offers some quality teaching in the field of Nursing. Those who seek their career in this field can apply to these courses at 3-Year B.Sc.(Nursing), 2-Year Post Basic B.Sc.(Nursing), 2-Year M.Sc.(Nursing) under 5 different specializations. The college provides a Ph.D. course in a part-time and full-time mode having 3 years and 5 years of durations respectively.
Also, Check Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences Fee Structure
Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences Research
Research has been conducted on various fields like Bilateral absence of musculocutaneous nerve report of two cases and Screening for retinopathy, risk factors, adherence to treatment and complications among diabetic and hypertensive individuals, Hepatoprotective activities of picroliv, curcumin, and ellagic acid compared to silymarin on carbon tetrachloride-induced liver toxicity in mice.
Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences Extra-Curricular
College of Nursing students is given an opportunity to participate community activities like immunization programs, school health programs, home visit, street play, role play, projects, health talk, mass health programs, and cooking demonstration are carried out in both rural and urban health centers. Students are involved in various college events such as:
- National Social Service Scheme (NSS)
- Red Ribbon Club
- Intercollegiate sports & cultural festival
- Observation of National & International Health days
- Fresher’s welcome
- Seniors farewell
- Annual Festival
Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences Facilities
The campus houses a 560 bedded teaching hospital along with the various support and ancillary facilities required and has a built-up area of nearly 7.5 lakh square feet.
The College has a library with a good stock of 3,077 textbooks and Indian and International journals on various subjects.
The College provides many gaming facilities.
- Indoor games include Table Tennis, Indoor Shuttle, etc.
- Outdoor games include Football, Basketball, Volleyball, Throw ball, Tennis and a lot more.
There is an auditorium with a capacity of accommodating 700 people.
Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences Festivals
Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences organizes festivals which are managed by the students themselves and they can learn cultural values, management techniques, and leadership skills. Some of the festivals conducted by the college are:
- Aura- It is the annual cultural, literary, sports and medical festival. It has events like music, dance, block and tackle, dumb charades, movie quiz, Mehendi, face painting, collage, rangoli, creative writing, eating contest, photography. etc.
- L’Auro- It is a rock festival. It includes a rock competition and a rock show
Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences Ranking
- Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences is constantly ranked among the top 100 medical colleges in India due to the quality education provided to the students.
- According to www.jobrelease.in the institute is ranked 35th among 100 top medical colleges in India.