Shimoga Institute of Medical Sciences, SIMS, started in 2005 in 25 acres of land. It is a private autonomous university. It is affiliated to Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences and has been approved by the Medical Council of India. It offers MBBS, 12 MD courses, 4 MS programs, and 4 diploma courses. Admissions to the undergraduate and postgraduate courses are done on the basis of the merit received in NEET-UG or PG and its subsequent counseling process.
Shimoga Institute of Medical Sciences Highlights
|Established | Type||2005 | Private|
|Recognized||Medical Council of India|
|Affiliated||Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences|
|Courses||MBBS, MD, MS, and Diploma|
|Selection Criteria||Entrance Examinations|
|Entrance Examinations||NEET and NEET PG|
|Campus Area||25 Acres|
|Facilities||Laboratories, Museums, Examination Hall, Auditorium, Lecture Halls, Library, Gymnasium, Hostel|
Shimoga Institute of Medical Sciences Courses
Shimoga Institute of Medical Science offers MBBS, MD, MS, and Diploma programs. The diplomas come under paramedical courses. The details of the courses are as mentioned below:
Bachelor Of Medicine, Bachelor Of Surgery (MBBS)
Duration: 5 years
Eligibility: 10 + 2 with 50% in Science
Selection Criteria: NEET
Doctorate of Medicine (MD)
Duration: 3 years
Specializations: Anaesthesiology, Anatomy, Biochemistry, DVL, Forensic Medicine, General Medicine, Microbiology, Paediatrics, Pathology, Pharmacology, Physiology, Preventive and Social Medicine
Selection Criteria: NEET PG
Master of Surgery (MS)
Duration: 3 years
Specializations: General Surgery, OBG, Orthopaedics, Otorhinolaryngology (ENT)
Selection Criteria: NEET PG
Duration: 2 year
Specializations: Operation Theatre Technology, Medical Laboratory Technology, Medical Records Technology, and Ophthalmic Technology.
Shimoga Institute of Medical Sciences Admissions
Admissions to the MBBS programs are done on the basis of NEET UG Examination. The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) is the medical common entrance test conducted by NTA. The application process for NEET 2020 has been completed. The steps to apply are:
- Go to the official NTA website and click on New Registration. Read the guidelines and then click on “Proceed to Application.”
- Fill up the form and upload the required signature and photographs.
- Pay the registration fee.
- Print the final page after confirmation.
Post the examination, NTA will release merit lists based on which students will be selected for the counseling process. If or when the candidate is allotted the Shimoga Institute of Medical Science, he can then apply to the college. This can be done online or offline.
The steps to apply to NEET PG are as follows:
- Visit the official website nbe.edu.in. Select NEET-PG, and click on Proceed to Application. Fill in the required details.
- On receiving the application number and password, log in and fill in the details.
- Upload the required documents and images.
- Choose the appropriate exam location, exam test center, and the preferred date and time.
- Pay the application fee via debit card/credit card/ net banking/ e-wallet.
The steps to apply through KEA after giving the respective examination is mentioned below:
- Step 1: Visit the KEA website (www.kea.kar.nic.in) and select “UGET-2020 Online Registration” or “PGET-2020 Online Registration” as applicable. Fill in the application form with the details as required. Once the details are all entered, you will receive an application ID and a password on both messages and emails.
- Step 2: Upload a scanned copy of recent passport size Colour Photograph, Signature, and Left Hand Thumb Impression in JPG / JPEG format separately.
- Step 3: Pay the required fee.
- Step 4: Take a print-out of the final application form. Candidates are advised to keep a print-out as well as a soft-copy saved. The print-out is also required while taking admission to the center.
The documents checklist includes:
- NEET (UG)/ NEET PG admit card & rank letter
- KEA ‘PGET-2020/ UGET-2020’ Registration form duly filled
- SSLC or 10th Standard / equivalent marks card
- Class XII mark sheet & passing certificate
- Graduation mark sheet & degree certificate
- Medical Fitness Certificate
- Caste/ Community certificate, as applicable
- Migration Certificate, as applicable
- Aadhaar card copy
- Any other document deemed necessary
SIMS Shimoga Faculty
SIMS Shimoga faculty is well-educated and highly qualified in its respective fields. The members working at the institute hold various posts such as Professor, Head, Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Tutor, etc. Given-below is the strength of students working currently:
- Professor & Head: 18
- Associate Professor: 42
- Assistant Professor: 60
- Lecturer: 3
- Tutor and PG Cum Tutor: 38
- Senior Resident: 28
- Junior Resident & PG Cum Junior Resident: 45
Read More: SIMS Shimoga Faculty
Shimoga Institute of Medical Sciences FAQ
Ques. What is the application process at SIMS Shimoga?
Ans. Once admission is granted by KEA through the counseling session, the candidate must also take admission in the college itself. This can be done online or offline. To complete the process online, the candidate must download the application form from the official website, fill it in and email it to email@example.com for Postgraduate courses, firstname.lastname@example.org for diploma programs, and to email@example.com for MBBS admission. Along with the form, scanned copies of the below mentioned self-attested documents must also be sent in pdf and/or jpeg format. A scanned copy of the fee receipt must also be sent.
In the offline process, the same can be done at the institute itself. A soft copy of all the documents will also be required in the offline process in the form of a CD/ DVD.
Ques. What are the freeze, float, and withdrawal options in the NEET 2020 counseling form?
Ans. If the candidate is satisfied with the allotted college in the form and does not want to be considered for any more rounds of the counseling can use the Freeze option. This is also known as the Lock option. On the other hand, if the candidate is satisfied but also wants to be considered for other colleges and rounds, he can use the Float option. Lastly, if the student is not satisfied with allotted college, and does not want to appear for the subsequent rounds, he can use the withdraw option.
Ques. What are the general details of the NEET exam?
Ans. The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) exam is an offline test multiple choice question paper that lasts 3 hours. It is conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA). It has 3 sections: Physics, Chemistry, and Biology/ Biotech. For every correct answer, 4 marks are given and for every wrong, 1 mark is cut.
Read More: NEET 2020 Exam Pattern
Ques. What is the Cut off for the MBBS program?
Ans. Over the past three years, the NEET cut-off for the college was:
Read More: SIMS Shimoga Cut off
Ques. What are the facilities provided to students?
Ans. Some of the facilities of the college include:
- Central Library: The central library covers a floor area of 1700 sq. feet on the 2nd and 3rd floor. It houses 200 textbooks, 30 periodicals, 20 audiovisuals, as well as a Digital Library.
- Hostel: Shimoga Institute of Medical Sciences does not provide hostel facilities separately for boys and girls.
- Other facilities also include Laboratories, Museums, an Examination Hall, an Auditorium, Lecture Halls, and a Gymnasium.
Ques. What is the SIMS Shimoga review?
Ans. This college does not seem to have the best of facilities or any exceptional quality. However, it is a decent choice if it has been allotted to the candidate. There is a mixed flurry of reviews towards the college from the existing students. While some consider it to be a highly positive and cheerful experience, others consider it to be an absolute waste of time.