National Institute of Foundry and Forge Technology was established in 1966 under the UNDP program. NIFFT ranks 148th best college in the Engineering colleges in NIRF 2020. Every year, the institute admits 120 students to its Undergraduate course and 116 students to the Postgraduate course. The Institute provides technical education through B.Tech., M.Tech., and Ph.D. courses. It also conducts Advanced Diploma courses in Foundry and Forge Technology.
In the past 3 years, the institute has recorded near to 100% placement through campus interviews for graduating students. While 30% of postgraduate students get placed. The median salaries for placed students have been INR 4,50,000 per year. Admissions are conducted through JEE Mains for Undergraduate courses, while postgraduate admissions are conducted through GATE. The JEE Main UG cutoff for General category in 2019 has been around merit rank 58000, while that of GATE PG admission for the General category has been around 570.
NIFFT Ranchi Highlights
|Established | Type||1966 | Public|
|Affiliated to||Ranchi University, Jharkhand|
|Approved by||AICTE, UNDP|
|Entrance exams||JEE Mains / GATE|
|Courses offered||13 courses across 4 streams|
|Popular courses||B.Tech, Ph.D.|
|Application mode||Online through JoSAA and DASA - B.Tech. Online through CCMT - M.Tech.|
|Admission Criteria||Entrance exam merit rank based|
|Top Recruiters||Hindustan Motors, Bajaj Auto, BHEL, JSPL|
|Campus Area||55 acres|
|Facilities available||Centralized Computer Center, Hostels, Guesthouse, Student Gymkhana, Bank, ATM, Health Facilities|
NIFFT Ranchi Courses
The National Institute of Foundry and Forge Technology offers 13 specializations across 4 streams. Some of the specializations are given below:
|B.Tech.||Manufacturing Engineering||Eligibility: Intermediate graduate with a minimum of 75% for general and 65% for reservation categories. JEE Mains merit rank required
Duration: 4 years
|Metallurgy and Materials Engineering|
|M.Tech.||Manufacturing Engineering||Eligibility: B.E./B.Tech/B.Sc. in a relevant field and GATE merit rank
Duration: 2 years
|Material Science and Engineering|
|Ph.D.||Forge Technology||Eligibility: ME/M.Tech with a minimum of 6.5 CGPA B.E./B.Tech./M.Sc. with a minimum of 7.5 CGPA
Duration: 2 to 5 years
|Materials and Metallurgical Engineering|
|Applied Science and Humanities|
|ADC||Foundry Technology||Eligibility: Diploma in Engineering with a minimum of 50% marks for general and 45% for reservation category
Duration: 1.5 years
NIFFT Ranchi Admission
The National Institute of Foundry and Forge Technology in Ranchi offers admission to the courses based on timings of entrance examinations. The courses like B.Tech., M.Tech. are filled on merit rank of the entrance exam like JEE Mains and GATE. Admissions to Ph.D. and ADC are announced on the website of the institute.
How to Apply?
The below mentioned is a summarised process of application for admission to the NIFFT Raipur:
- Apply for JEE Mains for B.Tech. admissions and GATE for M.Tech. Admissions. Get merit rank.
- Apply for admission to the courses at the college by filling the application form through JoSAA or DASA. M.Tech. admission through CCMT counseling.
- Submit all requisite documents for respective admissions.
- Pay application fees either through online payment or e-challan.
- If shortlisted, except for a call to college for final procedures and payment of admission fees.
Know more NIFFT Ranchi Admission
NIFFT Ranchi Cut Off
Below graph shows the cut off of merit rank in GATE 2019-20
Read more NIFFT Ranchi Cut off
NIFFT Ranchi Placement
The National Institute of Foundry and Forge Technology has a good placement record with more than 70 companies visiting the campus for placement interviews. Companies like Hindustan Motors, Bajaj Auto, BHEL, JSPL have visited the campus to conduct interviews for the final year students from all streams.
The table given below describes the placements being conducted at the Institute over the last 3 years:
|Academic Year||Graduation Level||Students placed||Median Salary in INR|
There has been an upward trend in the median starting salaries over the past 3 years.
Click here NIFFT Ranchi Placement
NIFFT Ranchi Scholarship
National Institute of Foundry and Forge Technology collaborates with the government to provide numerous scholarships to the students. In the year 2019-20, 198 admitted students have received full tuition fee reimbursement.
Following are some of the scholarships that are being given to the students:
- Ministry of Steel Scholarship: INR 4,000 to 5,000 per student from the first year to final year on the basis of JEE Mains merit rank. This scholarship is given to the top 5 students taking admission to the MME course.
- GATE Scholarship: All students taking admission to M.Tech courses on the basis of the GATE score receive a monthly scholarship of INR 12,400 every month during the tenure of their course.
- Ph.D. Scholarship: All students are given a stipend of INR 25,000 per month.
Check NIFFT Ranchi Scholarship
NIFFT Ranchi Facilities
The college has created multiple facilities to aid the students to excel in their education and career. Some of the facilities at the campus of the National Institute of Foundry and Forge Technology are mentioned below:
- Centralized Computer Center: The computer center lab has 120 desktop computers liaised with all modern software and technology requisite for un-interrupted learning for the students. The campus has its own ISP facility.
- Hostels: The college has 4 boys hostels and 1 girls hostel. The hostels have single, double, and triple occupancy rooms with 850+ seating capacity for boys and 100 for girls. All hostels have 24 hours of electricity and back up, drinking water facility, good housekeeping, and a common room with TV and DTH connection. The hostel also provides mess, health and sports facilities, and security.
- Student gymkhana: The students’ gymkhana is the student’s representative body. It is responsible to arrange technical programs, cultural activities, and bring up any grievances. It arranges various clubs for Arts, Cricket, Football, and arranges various activities like the NIFFT Premier league.
Read more NIFFT Ranchi Hostel
NIFFT Ranchi Faculty
The National Institute of Foundry and Forge Technology has 5 departments. Each department has Faculty with Professors, Assistant and Associate Professors. Most of the professors are qualified with a doctorate in their field while some are postgraduates.
- Professor: 17
- Associate Professor: 11
- Assistant Professor: 21
Know more NIFFT Ranchi Faculty
NIFFT Ranchi FAQs
Ques. What type of counseling services are available for students?
Ques. Is attendance compulsory at the NIFFT?
Ques. Does the NIFFT organize any events?
Ques. Is there a cut-off score for the GATE exam for NIFFT?
Ques. Does the institute provide an education loan?
Ques. Does the NIFFT require a test to prove proficiency in English?