Nitte Meenakshi Institute of Technology (NMIT) was established in 2007. It is an Autonomous Institution affiliated to the Visvesvaraya Technological University (VTU), with the approval of UGC and Accredited by National Board of Accreditation(NBA) and National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC-UGC).
- NMIT is the youngest engineering college in the country to be conferred the prestigious Autonomous Status by UGC/Govternment of Karnataka, New-Delhi in 2007.
- NMIT is the only unaided private engineering college in Karnataka State selected by the Government of India for World Bank Funding under TEQIP Phase II- Subcomponent 1.1 in the year 2011.
- NMIT has a strong focus on Excellence in Education, Research & Promotion of Innovation & Entrepreneurship and has Innovation & Entrepreneurship Development Centre funded by the Department of Science and Technology (NSTEDB), New Delhi.
- NMIT has Several Sponsored research Projects amounting to Rs. 4.8 crores sanctioned by different reputed National Funding Agencies such as DST, AICTE, DIT, DRDO Labs, IEEE, VGST, VTU etc.
- NMIT is a unique Institution which has five Multi-Disciplinary Research Centres viz Center for Center for Robotics Research, Small Satellite Research, Center for Nanomaterial & MEMS, Center for Computational Fluid Dynamics & Center for Design Engineering & Process Simulation.
- The Alumni Association was started in the year 2005
- Total Number of Alumni Enrolled : 1561
- Last Alumni Office Bearers Meet : 22nd September 2010
National Cadet Corps: The Institute has raised the NCC Signal Coy in the year 2004. NCC unit at NMIT conducting activities under the leadership of Capt.Rajesh.N, Associate NCC Officer.
Games and sports: Cricket, football, basketball and volleyball courts are available inside the campus. The college hosted SRCA Cricket Tournament in October 2004. The annual inter-collegiate volleyball tournament was held in December 2004. The annual college sports meet was held in June 2005.
- Campus Connect is a programme called by Infosys that helps students during the process of recruitment.
- Kannada Rajyothsava is conducted annually in November as a part of Kannada Cultural Activity organised by BELAKU. Students and staff take part in the programme which showcases the cultural heritage of Kannada and Karnataka.
The institute has a library which collectively support teaching, research & extension activities of the Institute. Central Library has a comprehensive collection of Journals, Books, predominantly related to Engineering, Management, Basic sciences, Allied and General subjects to cater to users needs.
E-Learning course materials
Laboratories:- NMIT has well equipped laboratories with more than 1300 computers and other accessories, advanced software’s, library resources and high speed Internet connectivity 100Mbps (leased line - 1:1).