Coimbatore Institute of Technology (CIT) is a Government-aided institution, recognized by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE)
- Coimbatore Institute of Technology was originated in 1956 year by V. Rangaswamy Naidu Educational Trust (VRET) with the moral aim of distributing knowledge in the fields of science, technology and engineering to the student community.
- CIT was affiliated to Madras University from 1956 to 1980. But in 1980, the Institute got associated to Bharathiar University and next to Anna University in 2001.
- The Institute was contracted autonomous prestige in the year 1987 and is attributed by the National Board of Accreditation (NBA).
- CIT offers 12 PG Programs and 9 UG Programs adding to M.S. and Ph.D. Research Programs. 8 Diploma Programs are also provided in various engineering disciplines.
- The National Board of Accreditation has accredited the Mechanical Engineering (Sandwich) and Mechanical Engineering diploma programs.
- The Coimbatore center of the Indian Welding Society (IWS) has been operating in the Institute since 2002 in the department of Mechanical Engineering.
- The Coimbatore Regional Centre of the Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers tasks with its office at the department of Chemical Engineering in the Organization.
Academics: The institute has following departments-
- Electrical & Electronics Engineering
- Electronics & Communication Engineering
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Information Technology
- Chemical Engineering
- Computer Technology
- Computer Applications (MCA)
â€‹Extracurricular: All the branches of Technology, Engineering and Applied Sciences have their own relations which consolidate technical symposia, meetings, etc. in their particular disciplines. Some of main events and activities that take place inside the campus are listed below-
It is a national technical symposium conducted by the Departments of Mechanical, Civil and Chemical Engineering every year in January
An intercollegiate technical symposium conducted by the Electronics and Communication Engineering, Electronics and Electrical Engineering, Computer Science Engineering and Information Technology during every year in January or February
Cyberfest is a national level intercollegiate technical symposium conducted by Department of Computer Applications and Technology during January every year
Facilities: College provides all requisite facilities to the students. The library of the college is one of the best example of such facilities-
Established in 1956, it is a great work place for both the staff and student. Library comprises of
- Book collection to several 59,000 volumes.
- E-journals, datasets, databases, and e-books.
Ranking/Achievements: CIT was awarded with "STAR NEWS” Awards 2011 for Outstanding Engineering Institute.
Scholarship: Scholarships are available for deserving students. A student aspiring for a scholarship should satisfy the regulations stipulated by the institute
- Adi Dravidar Higher Educational special scholarship.
- Backward class Welfare scholarship.
- Beedi workers scholarship.
- Bright Student award.
- Merit cum means scholarship.
- N.C.E.R.T Scholarship.
- National merit scholarship.