Lady Brabourne College (LBC), established in 1939 by the Government of Bengal, is affiliated to Calcutta University. It offers various Bachelor and Master degree courses and is ranked 3rd among the colleges in West Bengal by Education World Magazine. In 2014, NAAC accredited the college with an A grade.
Lady Brabourne College courses
For Undergraduate Courses:
Lady Brabourne College offers Bachelors of Science and Arts programme under various categories. Admissions will be as per the norms of Calcutta University that is through the entrance exam conducted by the university. Below is the information about courses and their eligibility in tabulated form.
|B.Sc||Physics||10+2 with Physics and Maths as compulsory subjects|
|Chemistry||10+2 in Science stream with Chemistry as a compulsory subject|
|Mathematics||10+2 with Mathematics as a compulsory subject|
|Botany||10+2 with Biology as a compulsory subject|
|Geography||10+2 in Science stream|
|Computer Science||10+2 in Science stream with Maths/ Computer Science as a compulsory subject|
|B.A||Bengali||Passed 10 + 2 in any stream.|
For Postgraduate Courses:
The college offers two Masters programs – M.A and M.Sc
- For M.Sc: B.Sc qualifiers in the concerned disciplines - Geography, Mathematics, Microbiology, Physics, Chemistry, Botany, Zoology, Bengali, Political Science and English.
- For M.A: Bachelor’s in Arts with minimum 50% aggregate marks are eligible to apply. 60% of the total intake will be merit based.For the remaining 40% seats, the college will conduct an entrance exam .
- Note : Candidates can register under faculty members for research guidance towards Ph.D. degrees in Physics, Microbiology, Geography and Zoology departments. In such cases, the degree is awarded by Calcutta University.
Read MoreLBC Courses
Lady Brabourne College Admissions
- Applications for admissions have to be submitted online.
- Admissions to B.Sc courses will be entrance based whereas for B.A program courses will be merit based as per the rules of the university.
- Candidates will be admitted to PG courses through both direct admissions under the Calcutta University and Entrance based admissions by the college.
Read More LBC Admissions
LBC Placement and Career Counselling
Major IT/BPO organizations like Infosys, TCS, IBM, Cognizant (CTS), Tech Mahendra, Accenture and WIPRO conducts campus recruitment programmes for final year undergraduate students. Infosys has also initiated their Campus Ambassador program in our campus. Our Major recruiters are
- Tech Mahendra
- Accenture and many more
Read MoreLBC Placements
LBC Prizes, Certificates and Scholarships
The College awards prizes and certificates for academic and cultural distinctions as well as for excellence in sports activities. All prizes are awarded to the students at the Annual Prize Giving Ceremony held on Foundation Day celebrations of the college. The coveted Roma Chaudhuri Memorial prize is awarded to the most outstanding student of the year while the P.C.Chandra Gold medal adorns the best all-round performer.
Government sponsored Merit scholarships both at the National and State levels can be availed apart from scholarships awarded by some local bodies and organizations.
LBC Awards and Achievements
Number of authoritites have awareded the college time to time for its academic excellence.
- Recieved RUSA grant in 2015.
- Selected for College for potential for excellence in 2010 and second time in 2016.
- Nominated as Star College by Dept of Bio-tech in 2012 and 2017.
- Awarded the Fund for the Improvement of Science and Technology (FIST) by the Department of Science & Technology, Government of India in 2010.
Financial Assistance granted to Students
The Students' Welfare Committee arranges for one time financial assistance to students for which applications are invited annually.
Grievance Redressal Cell
The college has a Grievance Redressal Cell, a Psychological Counselling Cell to see to the problems faced by the students. Being a girls college A Sexual Harassment Cell has been set up in August 2014 which looks after the needs of the students.
The college library with a collection of approximately 100,000 books besides magazines and journals, located on the first floor of the main building, is equipped with a reading room facility for students and teachers. Apart from the general library, each department has a seminar library collection, which the students can access at the discretion of the departmental faculty.
The college canteen has been upgraded to maintain better hygienic standards and is equipped to cope with the mid-break rush efficiently with additional space assigned recently. A canteen has also been opened on the second campus of the college, in the PG building, where hostel students can also enjoy evening snacks.
Outstation students who take admission to the college are extended the facilities of a college Hostel which is situated adjacent to the college premises. Messing in the Hostel is maintained on hygienic standards and students are required to observe the rules. Ragging is strictly prohibited. Fortunately, so far, there has been no untoward incident.