Loyola College Chennai, established in 1925 and granted the status of autonomy in 1978, is affiliated to the University of Madras. The college offers UG, PG and Doctoral courses in fields of Arts, Science and Commerce. The research program offered by the college is the most popular among students of not only South India but across the whole India. The sprawling campus of Loyola college is one of the best college campuses in Southern India.
Loyola College Highlights
|Affiliation||University of Madras|
|Approvals and Accreditations||UGC and NAAC |
|Courses||23 UG, 19 PG, and Research|
|Mode of Registration||Online|
- Ranked 6th Top College in India by NIRF 2019.
- Elevated to the status of the college of excellence by UGC.
- Reaccredited by NAAC with 3.70 CGPA out of 4.00.
Loyola College Courses
Loyola College has various courses offered through its eight departments and a research center. The departments are mentioned below:
- School of Commerce and Economics
- School of Computational Sciences
- School of Physical Sciences
- School of Vocational Studies
- School of Humanities
- School of Languages
- School of Life Sciences
- School of Media Studies
The courses offered by the college are tabulated below:
|B.A||Economics, English, History, Sociology, Tamil||10+2 passed in any stream.|
|B.Sc||Physics, Biology, Maths, Chemistry, Visual Communications, Food chemistry, and Food processing||10+2 passed in the science stream.|
|B.Com||Accountancy, Mathematics, Statistics, Economics||10+2 passed in commerce stream. |
|M.A||Economics, English, History, Sociology, Tamil, Social Work, Sociology, Philosophy, Psychology, Applied History||Graduation with 50% marks in the relevant stream. For M.Com- BBA or B.Com|
|M.Sc||Physics, Biology, Maths, Chemistry, Visual Communications, Biotech, Data Science, Food Chemistry and Food Processing|
|M.Com||Accountancy, Mathematics, Statistics, Economics|
|M. Phil||Economics, English, History, Tamil, Physics, Biology, Maths, Chemistry, Visual Communications, Philosophy, Psychology||Postgraduate in relevant stream.|
Read More Loyola College Course and Fees
Loyola College Admissions
Admissions at Loyola College is a two-stage process. Loyola College releases the cut off after the submission of application forms on the basis of which merit is prepared and students are called for the personal interviews.
Stage 1: Qualification of Merit
Stage 2: Selection Interview After application, the list of selected students is made merit wise. Those who are in merit are called for the interview process.
It is a minority Roman catholic institution. There are two lists that every department releases at the end of admissions.
- First list: As Loyola is a Catholic institution, they reserve 50% of the seats to Roman Catholic.
- Second list: Out of the remaining 50%, rest all categories can compete including General, SC, ST, OBC and other religious community students.
- Step 1: Registration through Online Application Portal
- Step 2: Filling-in the Basic and Specific details
- Step 3: Attaching the Documents
- Step 4: Payment of Application Fee
- Application Fees:
- General Candidates: INR 150 for UG and INR 200 for PG
- SC/ST Candidates: INR 123 for UG and INR 158 for PG
Read More Loyola College Admissions
Loyola College Placements
There are regular campus recruitment drives conducted on the campus and various companies visit the campus for the same. Different online training programs are organized for further grooming of the students. Few of the recently visited companies are:
- Akshar Arbol Schools
- Real Foundations
- Sutherland and Many more
Recent Placement Summary of the Loyola College Chennai:
- Training Given: 19
- Companies Visited: 100
- Recruited Students: 804 (100%)
- Companies Participated: 47
Read More Loyola College Placements
Loyola College Scholarships
Fee concessions for poor family students, merit scholarship for well-studying students, free food for eligible students, the gold medal for outstanding students, etc they provide a lot of recognition awards to all.
Read More Loyola College Scholarships
Loyola College Facilities
There are numerous facilities offered by the College for the overall development of the students. Few of them are mentioned below:
- Hostels: Hostels are provided for boys and girls separately. Admission into hostels will be considered only after the admission into Loyola College. Only limited seats are available in the hostels. For further details, please contact the Hostel Administration.
- Loyola Hostel for Men: 044-28178352
- The Dean of Women Students processes the admission of girls into the hostel.
- Loyola Women's Hostel: 044-28178452
- Library: Students and Staff who are at present working or studying are eligible to become members of this library. Membership for outsiders is not allowed. In case non-members and past students want to make a short reference they shall meet the Library Director or Librarian for permission.
- Health Center: LHC has dedicated general physicians, staff nurse and lab technicians available on all working days to administer free medical treatments to all staff and students.
- Food Court: There are multiple food vendors offering a variety of cuisines with Local, national and international flavor to cater to the recipe of the students.
Loyola College Faculty
Name: Dr. M. George Johnson
- Designation: HOD, Department of Chemistry
- Qualification - M.Sc., B.Ed., DCA., Ph.D.
Name: Dr. John R. Devadason
- Designation: Professor, Department of Chemistry
- Qualification - M.Sc., Ph.D.
Name: Dr. T. Joseph
- Designation: HOD, Department of Commerce
- Qualification - M.Com.,M.Phil.,M.B.A.,Ph.D.
Name: Dr. Francis Jose
- Designation: Professor, Department of Commerce
- Qualification - M.Com.,M.Phil.,Ph.D.
Loyola College FAQs
Ques. Which is the more superior college, Madras Christian College or Loyola College Chennai?
Ans. It depends on the course you want to study. Some of the courses of Loyola College like Bachelor of Humanities is excellent in terms of faculty and curriculum while Some courses of Madras Christian College beat Loyola College when it comes to the curriculum, e.g B.Sc.
Ques. Is Loyola College Co-ed?
Ans. Yes, Loyola College is co-ed for all PG Courses and Bachelors in Visual Communication. For rest courses, it is not co-ed.
Ques. Which college is better for BBA Course- MCC or Loyola College?
Ans. It entirely depends on what you want. If you want a wholesome experience of college life. I strongly suggest you join MCC. But if you're looking to study in college. Loyola will be a better option. MCC has a lot of diversity in its students with most of the students coming around from all parts of India. Whereas, you're more likely going to study with a majority of Chennai crowd at Loyola.
Ques. Is there any dress code at Loyola College?
Ans. There is no such thing called dress code, unlike some Engineering or Medical colleges. However, you can't wear torn jeans and a round neck tee shirt. What college wants from the students is that the proper dress.
Ques. How is the Infrastructure of Loyola College?
Ans. Excellent infrastructure and a beautiful looking campus. The canopy of trees covering the pathways protecting you from the scorching sun of Chennai makes you never want to leave the campus once you enter, probably one of the best looking campuses in south India.