Faculty of Engineering and Technology, Jadavpur University was converted in 1955. The spirit of national education came from Raja Subodh Chandra Mallik. The road on which Jadavpur University is located is named Brojendra Kishore Roy Choudhury and is dedicated to Raja Subodh Chandra Mallik.
- It is at present a premier internationally recognised university of the country
- The first Principal of the Bengal National College was Sri Aurobindo
- The first teachings were given by eminent personalities like Rabindranath Tagore, Sir Gurudas Banerjee, Ananda Coomaraswamy, Surendra Nath Banerjee, Ramendra Sundar Trivedi, Radha Kumud Mukherjee, Benoy Kumar Sarkar, Sakharam Ganesh Deoskar and others.
- Recognized by the University Grant Commission (UGC).
- Approved by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE).
- Provides quality education in various engineering and technology courses.
- The college provides 17 courses.
- National Council of Education (NCE) was set-up in 1906 to teach literary, scientific and technical education.
- It is the foremost research institute in the nation.
- The placement cell of institute placed every year students in many multi-national companies.
- It provides state-of-the-art facilities like classrooms, library, laboratories and auditorium.
- The main campus at Jadavpur is approximately 12.6 kilometres (7.8 mi) from the city centre
- The University's collaborations are among the best in the country
- University has signed 182 MOUs
There are total 17 Departments which offering different undergraduate and postgraduate engineering courses. A few names of the notable departments are listed below:
- Department of Chemical Engineering
- Department of Food Technology & Bio-Chemical Engineering
- Department of Construction engineering
- Department of Pharmaceutical Technology
- Department of Adult and Continuing Education & Extension
- Department of Metallurgical and Material Engineering
- Department of Agriculture
- Department of Production Engineering
The University is having international collaborations with the following Organizations:
- FERMI LAB, USA & CRN (CRNS), France
- Alexander Von Humboldt Foundation Germany
- Trieste, Italy
- University of Liverpool
- British Council & Manchester University
- University of Yale, U.S.A.
- University of Bonn, Germany
- University of Bochum, Germany
- University of Munster, Germany
Placement Record 2011-2012:
At present, the Central Library has over:
- 6,46,296 volumes of books on record (including the Salt lake Campus Library and those loaned to Departmental Libraries)
- 80,700 bound volumes of journals
- 13000 theses and dissertations
- 37,000 items of non-book materials such as reports pamphlets, maps and micro-forms.
- 633 print and 2794 online journals
- The University also has access to around 9082 online journals more through INFLIBNET and INDEST Consortia.
- The library subscribes to 30 databases which include Scopus, Econlit etc. and also about 10,057 E-books.
- CHEMBridge –The Annual Reunion of Chemical Engineering Department of Jadavpur University is held on the third weekend of February every year.
- Sanskriti - Cultural Fest was started in 1978, by a group of students
- Dr. Anwesha Aditya, a Ph.D. scholar at the Department of Economics, winning the IEDRA Award 2013 of the EXIM Bank of India, for her Ph.D. thesis
- JU Ranks first among top Engineering and Technology Universities and sixth among the Universities and Institutions in India – NISTADS Report
- JU Ranked second in number of publication and fourth in performance index among the Indian Universities – NISTADS Report
- The Faculty of Engneering and Technology, Javadpur University got ranking for the quality education and excellent research works.â€‹
- Ranked 2nd in India for numbers of research papers only by IAS
- Ranked 10th India’s Engineering College in the year 2011