Arya Vidyapeeth College, situated in Guwahati, is one of the premier institutions of higher learning in not only Assam but in the whole of North East India. Arya Vidyapeeth College was established on 29 th July 1958 and has been serving the academic needs of North-Eastern India in general and Assam in particular. The college has grown into a throbbing centre of academic excellence since its establishment.
Arya Vidyapeeth College has been identified by the University Grants Commission as an institution having potential for excellence. Facilities like Wi-Fi, 24 hours power back-up, language laboratory, UV-Vis spectrophotometer, gemological instruments etc are all part of the first phase of implementation.
The College has not confined itself only to the class room teaching and learning but has reached out to the larger masses in the form of distance education. The institution has a full fledged "Study Centre" of the World’s largest Open University, IGNOU. Various courses right from Certificate to Masters Level is offered.
Arya Vidyapeeth College has played a vital role in the upliftment of disadvantaged students of the region. This is clearly reflected in the pass percentage data of the college and that of the Gauhati University.
The College library has a collection of about 50,000 copies of text and reference books. Useful journals, magazines and newspapers are purchased and subscribed regularly. Besides, every department is having a Departmental Library where useful reference books are available for consultation. Students can check the availablability of books they need personally.
Health Centre :
The college provides a health centre which facilitates the neighbourhood also. Vaccination, health awareness campaign etc. are regularly carried out in addition to regular medical assistance. The college’s N.C.C. wing works hand-in-hand in such ventures. A unit of the National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) operates from the Health Centre thereby upgrading the facilities.
A total of 213 N.C.C. cadets comprising one Company of 1 Assam BN and a troop of 60 Assam girls’ BN is functional in the college campus. The cadets have organised many unforgettable camps which makes the college feel proud by representing the North Eastern Region in different national level camps and N.C.C. activities in many parts of the country.
The college has a strong and vibrant N.S.S. unit which has been rendering various community services. The Volunteers play an active part in keeping the college campus clean and pollution free. Under the banner of the N.S.S. Unit of the College campus are organized in nearby rural areas to carry out Community Development activities.
CLUBS AND FORUMS :
There are different common forums of students and teachers :
- Science Club : The college has a science club. Scientific Seminars and exhibitions are held from time to time.
- Debators’ Club : Debates are a regular part of activities of the students. Besides the annual college debating event in College Week, All Assam Banikanta Memorial Debating. Competition is held yearly. Moreover, student debators are sent to participate in the competitions held in different institutions of the State.
- Literary Club : The college has a literary club. Literary activities are held from time to time, besides, the annual literary competitions held during the College Week.
- Mountaineering Club : The Arya Mountaineers’ and Adventurers’ Circle (AMAC), is an enlisted organization of the Indian Mountaineering Foundation, New Delhi which is giving the flavour of different types of adventure sports to its members by organizing different activities like white water rafting, high altitude trekking, rock climbing, parasailing, mountaineering, canoeing, kayaking etc. time to time. The motto is to introduce the students of the college with adventurism which prepares them to face the challenges of real life. The AMAC is proud to announce that the circle has produced a large numbers of well established mountaineers of national repute from its inception since 1984.
- Entrepreneurship Development Cell : The college has a Cell to create awareness about self-employment and entrepreneurship among students of the college by regularly aranging seminars, exhibitions and awareness programme etc.
- Hobby Club : The college has a hobby club which is a platform for the students to cultivate their various fields of interest.
College Magazine :
The college magazine ‘Aryan’ is the medium for developing literary and other potentials of the students. It publishes articles and creative writings contributed by students and teachers. The college has a News Bulletin ‘The Vision’ - wherein news of different activities and achievements of the college students including teaching & Non teaching employees are published.