Assumption College is affiliated to Mahatma Gandhi University, Kerala and is among one of the biggest and the most prestigeous women’s colleges in the state accredited by NAAC. For more than half a century, Assumption College has been in providing valuable services in the field of higher education. Dr. I'ma Neerakkal, one of the staff of the college was honoured with “The Young Scientist Award” by the Government of Kerala.
The college was started in the academic year 1950-51, with a strength of 358 women students which has now grown with more than 2000 students in the 16 degree courses, 6 Post graduate courses and other courses in the diverse streams.
Assumption College is best known for their standards of discipline, academics and outstanding culture. The college has achieved the prestigious “R Shankar Award” from the Govt of Kerala for best college in the state in 1996-97. The college was one of the first colleges to be honored so. The college became the first among the all others to receive the “Kerala Sports Council’s Award” for the best college in Sports & Games.
Placement Stats for the past years [2007–14] :
No of Students
South Indian Bank
UST GLOBAL, Kochi
UST Global Solutions
Outsource Partners Internationa
- The library was established in 1953 and inaugurated in 1994.
- Soul software from INFLIBNET and Campus Net are used in the library for doing all transaction.
- The library resources are met mainly from the UGC Grants, Management fund and P.T.A collection.
Electronic Information Centre : It includes:
- 5 computers and a server with 160 GB with double Hard Disc
- CD-Rom facility and Airtel Internet 24 hours connections are also available in the electronic library. In this library students can use CD Rom services, with the help of "Head phone with Mic" in each computer
- OPAC (Online Public Access Catalogue) service available in the Library as well as in all the departments of the college.
The college auditorium has 1000 seat capacity is used for small functions in the campus. The Kavukattu Hall has a capacity of 2000 seats and is used for functions involving the whole College.
The College provides residential facilities to about 600 students in six different hostels attached to the college. The hostels are known for their discipline, cleanliness, and excellent infrastructural facilities.
St. Pius X
Extra Curricular Activities– The college organize various activities under the scheme of UGC like NCC,NSS,CSM, Youth Red Cross, Human Rights Cell and Women’s Cell. There are following extra-curricular activities undertaken recently:
- The college is hosting a Health Club for the local community. It houses a gymnasium and is planning to offer training in yoga and aerobics. Health club is also maintaining a diet clinic run by the Home Science department
- Department of Economics [Center for Socio-Economic Analysis] and Department of Social Work secured a tie up with Changanacherry Municipality for undertaking projects and our students are now working as facilitators in Ward Sabhas
- N.S.S. is undertaking social works in three colonies under ‘Participation Villages’ Scheme
- Assessment of Nutritional Status of women in Changanacherry and Creation of Nutritional awareness programme, conducted by Dept. of Home Science, included diet counselling to patients in District Hospital, Kottayam and nutrition education to Anganwadi Children at Mattom Colony, Changanacherry
- Department of Home Science was selected by Govt. of Kerala to function as an incubation centre for the training of entrepreneurs in food processing industry
Various Competitions are organized in the college:
- Rev Sr Mary Kaithamattom (Former Principal)
- Memorial Voyage
- Golden Jubilee
- Nutritia Quiztime
- Assumption College Golden Jubilee
- Memorial Prof. Bridgitamma John and Prof. Kunjamma Mathew Memorial
Sports Achievements :
No of Medals & Trophies in the various competitions from 2007-2013
Total no. of Medals
All India Inter Uty
Runners up Tropy
Vocational Service Award of District Public Image Committee & Rotary Club Changanacherry to Assumption College for its Meritorious Contributions in the field of Entrepreneurial Development of Women.
The College has been selected as the Best College in Sports and Games by the Government of Kerala for the year 2013 and the Head of the Dept of Physical Education, Prof. Ninamma Thomas has been selected as the Best Physical Education Teacher for her excellent contributions in sports and games.
College is honoured with 'Institutional Excellence Award' by 'All Kerala Catholic Congress, Archdiocesan Committee' for the Meritorious Contributions in the field of Higher Education in Kerala.
P S Job Award-2009 from AIACHE for the most Innovative Programme in Colleges.
College wins the prestigious Sr Hedwige’s National Award for the Best College, instituted by the Xavier Board of Higher Education in India. Winner of National Environmental Awareness Award instituted by Khadi and Village Industries Development agency of India, New Delhi.
Dr. I’ma Neerakal, Dept. of Botany is honored with the Young Scientist Award by the Government of Kerala.
College becomes the recipient of Kerala Governments R. Shankar Award for the Best College in the State.
Assumption College became the first recipient of the Award instituted by Kerala Sports Council for The Best College for Sports & Games.