SCD Government College Recent Admission Alerts and Updates
Satish Chandra Dhawan Government College, previously known as Imperial College, is located in Ludhiana, Punjab. The institute is affiliated to Punjab University, Chandigarh and has been accredited by NAAC with ‘A’ grade. The college offers various courses in Humanities, Commerce, and Science for graduation and post-graduation level studies. SCD Government college offers B.A in two shifts i.e morning and evening. Admissions to the college are done purely on the basis of the merit. The minimum eligibility criteria for UG courses is HSC and PG courses is graduation in the relevant discipline.
Know more SCD Government College Admissions
SCD Government College Courses
The college cultivates a passion for learning among the students while embracing diversity. With its academic programs, it is aiming to produce competent and confident students. The courses offered by the college are:
At least 33% in the senior secondary examination
History and Culture
At least 40% marks in HSC in aggregate
Passed HSC with atleast 45% marks
|M.Sc||Physics/ IT||Graduation in relevant Discipline |
|MA||Math/ Geography/ English/ Punjabi/ Economics|
Check SCD Government College Courses with Fee
SCD Government College Scholarships
Students can apply for the following scholarships and incentives provided by the college.
- National Loan Scholarship: This scholarship is given to students who score 50% or more marks in the examinations. Also, the annual income of their parents should be less than 2,50,000 INR. The students obtaining this scholarship can pay it back after three years without any additional interest rates.
- Scholarships for Scheduled Castes and Backward Classes given by both state and Indian Government.
- State Scheduled Caste Scheme: The students belonging to scheduled castes, that are a permanent resident of Punjab and are studying in the colleges/institutions of Punjab, can avail of this welfare fund. Such students are given scholarship under this scheme if the family income is less than INR 2,50,000.
- Scholarships by Punjab Education Board: This is presented by the state government on the basis of merit.
- Post Matric Scholarship Scheme: Under this scheme, the state government will provide scholarships to the permanent residents belonging to Scheduled Castes of Punjab. It will provide for the purposes of Post Matric education. Apart from this, their family income must not exceed INR 2,50,000.
- Low income-class Scholarship: This will be given to the students who do not belong to the scheduled castes but their parents' income is less than INR 2,50,000.
- University Scholarships: This scholarship is provided by the university on the basis of merit.
- Book grant for the children of political sufferers, students belonging to SC, Vimukt castes and the low-income group will be provided concession as per University/college terms for education.
Apart from these schemes, the college also provides full fee concession to the children of army officers who were killed during Indo-Pak, Indo-China or Sri Lanka army action.
NOTE: The students who wish to apply for the scholarships or concessions must send their application to the college office within a week of admissions. Their applications must also be accompanied by slips with their bank account and code number.
SCD Government College has a special fee concession for needy students under the following:
- Poor and needy students are provided help from the Student Welfare Fund and Red Cross Fund as well. This aid is provided for a student's fees, books, clothes or medicines at the recommendation of the appointed committee.
- Completely Blind Students belonging to below poverty line, who join a regular degree/post/graduate degree courses in College would be allowed exemption from payment of Fee. Free Hostel Accommodation may also be provided if required by the student.
SCD Government College Awards
The college provides a number of special awards to deserving students under the following categories:
- Student of the Year Award: This award is given to a final who got first division throughout the year. S/he must have been awarded Roll of Honors/ College Color/ University medal in Academic/ Para-Academic Activities.
- Satish Chander Dhawan Award: This will be given to final year students, who will attain the first position in the University and have attained the first three university positions in earlier classes as well.
- Jagdev Singh Olympian Award: This award will be provided to the students who have already achieved roll of honor (sports) and have secured sufficient points in the current session.
- Dr. Dharam Singh Gill Memorial Gold Award: This award is given to the student who stands first in M.A (English) in 1st year.
- Principal Surjit Singh Bhatia Gold Medal and Cash Award: This award is presented to the student who stands first in M.A 1st and M.A 2nd year Geography in the University Examination.
- Prof. Jatinder Mohan Cash Prize: This award is given to the student who stands first in B.Sc 1st and B.Sc.2nd in the subject of Chemistry.
- Prof Satish Kant Memorial Award: This award is given to the student who secures 2nd position in the class of MA (Hindi) st and nd year in University Examination.
- Prof Vishrut Sharma Memorial Award: This award is presented to the student who stands first in the college in MA (Economics) 1st and 2nd year in University Examination.
The college has a special provision of awards to facilitate the students. It includes Roll of Honor, College Color and Merit Certificates.
What are these special provisions?
- Roll of Honor: The students who secure first five positions in the final exam of University are awarded this honor.
- College Color: The students who secure any of the sixth to tenth positions in the final year of the University Examination (UG/PG) OR any student who gets the first position in P.G first year (M.A/M.Sc -I) or in any class of undergraduate level of the University Exam.
- Merit Certificates: The students who stand First/ Second /Third in the college in the final year of all classes are awarded Merit Certificates.
SCD Government College Facilities
The college aims to maintain academic standards by providing the best facilities to its students and faculty members. Below mentioned is a brief of the same.
- Library: There is a collection of 1,07,132 books and 60 magazines in the college library. Free of cost internet facility is available for both teachers and students. They can also get access to 1,30,00 e-books and e-journals on various topics and subjects.
- Career Guidance Bureau: It guides the students regarding the job opportunities and professional courses available in the market. They provide updated information in different fields and conducts seminars for the same.
- Hostel: The government also has a well-equipped hostel for both boys and girls. Airy rooms, healthy food provision, and modern amenities make the hostel a pleasurable place to stay.
Apart from these facilities, the college has also has a Wi-Fi enabled campus, medical aid room, clubs and societies, cafeteria and many others to look after the basic needs of the learners.