Balurghat College was started on 8th September 1948, as an intermediate liable arts college, with 96 students in the tin-sheds of the Balurghat high school under the Kolkata University on the initiative of the large hearted educationists of the town who took regular classes in the afternoon. In 1949, the college was shifted to the present site in the vacant muslin hostel of Balurghat high school along with its land that was purchased by the college at a cost of Rupees forty thousand only. The college gained immense popularity and the numbers of students steadily began to increase. In 1950, the college was recognized by the UGC, and it is supported by he West Bengal government as an aided college
- In 1950, the college started courses in intermediate science classes
- In 1953, the college introduced courses in bachelor of arts, and further the courses in bachelor of science, bachelor of commerce were introduced in ther college
- In September 2003, North Bengal University accepted the college as the constituent of the college
- Currently the college is affiliated to University of Gour Banga from the academic year 2008-2009
Vision and Mision:
- To promote education based on values
- To contributed to the transformation of society through being socially conscious and responsible.
- To promote inter-cultural and inter-religious harmony and concern for the human family.
- To facilitate leadership among the students enabling them to proactively involve themselves in social liberation.
- To provide quality, integral, vocational and career oriented education and create a climate for human and educational excellence.
- To work towards the integrity of creation and foster interconnectedness, kinship and eco-justice.
- The College has very rich Historical Museum containing antique collection of great historical importance including Ancient Coins, Stone artifacts, swords, fossils, terracotta, ornamental stones, Old manuscripts, Sculptures etc of the Pali-Sen Period.
- It also features of all 11th century of Nayapala from Gangarampur.
- The museum, for its immense importance, has been included in the tourist map of West Bengal as an important please of visit. The professor in charge of the museum explain implications to the students in the off time to promote interest in history which is affiliated upto post graduate standard n this college
- Apart from the Presently running undergraduate courses P.G. courses in Bengal and Commerce (opened in 2003) and History, Sanskrit (opened in 2009) are successfully running to fulfill the ongoing demands of the students for higher studies
- Open university education in this college is offered through netaji shubas open university Indra Gandhi Open University Study centre the year 1988 and I.G.N.O.U study centre in the year 2004. The purpose of these study centre is to teach, guide and support the students with well designed lecture-scripts, personal contact programme and response sheets
- Prof. Surendra Mujumder Computer Education Centre established in the year 2003 offers three years B.Sc in computer science Honours and General
- The distance education in the college offered through university of North Bengal and study centre has been opened in the year 2002
- It opens privileges to those who have missed chance for getting themselves admitted in conventional section. They can read in this centre according to their needs, scope and capabilities at their convenient time including leisure times
- NCC unit(both Girls and Boys) under 11 Bengal BN has been established in the year 1948 to encourage students for short defence training. Willing students can join the unit after selection by the unit head Dr. Sanjib Kumar Jana
- College has started a U.G.C. sponsored remedial and entry I service centre in 2010. The SC/ST/OBC/Minority students may get a free coaching to appear in the various entry in services as school service commission, W.B.C.S, NET-SET etc
There is a union in the college, of which all the students are members. Its executive body is formed by the regular election in every year. The aim of the students’ union is to develop personality and leadership and to enforce discipline among the students. The principal/Teacher in charge of the college in the ex-officio chairman of the student's union.
- There are more than 30 thousand copies of books in the library including a Text Book library
- The college has two separate well furnished Reading Rooms
- College has two storied hostel
- Boys hostel can accommodate 66 boys
- For girls the college has a newly constructed two-storied hostel close to the quarter’s area under the direct supervision of a superitendent
- Medical Facilities