Founded on 1 February 1881, St. Stephen's is the oldest college in Delhi. It was first affiliated to Calcutta University, and later to Punjab University. Finally with the establishment of Delhi University in 1922, it became one of its three original constituent colleges. It aims at helping its members realize spiritual and moral as well as intellectual and aesthetic values.
- The motto of the college is "To the Glory of God”
- The college is famous for its library, which also houses a collection of rare Sanskrit and Persian manuscripts
- Nation-wide surveys such as those by India Today and The Week have consistently described the college as amongst the best colleges in India for both arts and sciences
- The College has an all-India and all-denomination membership; it has students and teachers from all communities and from all parts of India
- There is provision for nearly 250 gentlemen and 108 ladies to reside in College
- The College awards each year a number of prizes to students for high achievement in academic an extra-curricular activities. Scholarships and other financial aid are given to deserving students on the basis of need-cum-merit
International collaboration –
St. Stephen’s College is offering a twenty one days course on “Introducing Indian Culture through English language” to a group of ten students from Soka University, Japan as part of the St. Stephen’s College—Soka University Academic Partnership Programme 2014.
Admission procedure –
The weightages for admission will be –
Class 12th Marks
The composite merit of the sports candidates, on the basis of which they shall be admitted, comprises the following weightages –
Merit in sports (college trials and certificates )
Class 12th Marks (BFS/PCM)
Sector wise placement details are mentioned below –
Percentage of student placed
Number of Books
Number of Disks
- Harmony - The four-day festival, organized by the Students’ Union of St. Stephen’s College in collaboration with other societies of the college.
- National science fest -The event is being headed by the Students’ Union Society of the college, in collaboration with the Computer Science Society, Chemistry Society, Electronics Society, Photography Society, Environment Society, Debating Society and Quiz Club.
Extracurricular activities –
- Hiking club
- Quiz club
- Fine arts society
- Women’s Development Cell
- Stephanian Prize
- Andrews Memorial Prize
- Mukarji Memorial Prize
- Centenary Prize
- Sanwa Bank Scholarships
- Vikas Dhaka Scholarship
- Sumitomo Scholarships
- KPMG Scholarships.