Established in 1964, St. Xavier’s College for Women is located in Aluva, Kerala. The college is affiliated to Mahatma Gandhi University and currently conducts 13 UG and 6 PG programs along with M. Phil and PhD. degree programs. The college also offers various add-on programs and computer courses. B.A, B.Sc and B.Com courses are offered at the undergraduate level and M.A, M.Sc and M.Com programs at the postgraduate level. Applicants are required to register online through UG-CAP and PG-CAP facilities at MGU. UG Admission for the various reserved categories is done online via the official college website. Application for admission is an online process managed by MGU and the college.
St. Xavier’s College for Women Highlights
|Established | Type||1964 | Private|
|Approved by | Accredited by||UGC | NAAC|
|Courses Offered||B.A, B. Sc., B.Com, M.A., M.Sc., M.Com.|
|Popular Courses||B. Com (Taxation), B.A. (English), B.Sc. (Zoology, Chemistry, Botany)|
|Admission Criteria||As per university guidelines|
|Facilities Available||ICT-enabled classrooms, Library, Sports Facilities, etc.|
St. Xavier’s College for Women Courses
Affiliated to the Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, St. Xavier’s College for Women offers the following programs at its campus:
|B.A||Malayalam/ English/ Economics/ Geography/Communicative English||10+2 or equivalent examination recognized by MGU having studied subject relevant to the program planning to pursue in the UG level.|
|B. Sc.||Botany/ Zoology/Chemistry/Mathematics/ Physics.||10+2 or equivalent examination recognized by MGU having studied subject relevant to the program planning to pursue in the UG level.|
|B.Com||Taxation/Travel & Tourism/Computer Application/||A minimum score of 45% in 10+2 or equivalent examination recognized by MGU having studied Book-Keeping and Accountancy along with two more subjects from the University-specified list. SC/ST and ST candidates from Lakshadweep who have scored a minimum pass percentage are considered eligible.|
|M.A.||Malayalam/English||Qualified corresponding Degree program or an equivalent Vocational/ Specialized program from MGU or any university in Kerala, with 45% aggregate in general.|
|M.Sc.||Physics/Microbiology||For Physics: A qualified undergraduate Degree program in Physics or Electronic Equipment maintenance, with 50% aggregate in general. For Microbiology: Qualified graduation in Biological Sciences, with 50% aggregate in general.|
|M.Com.||Finance and Taxation||Graduation in Commerce/ BBA/ BBM, with 45% aggregate in general.|
St. Xavier’s College for Women Admissions
St. Xavier’s College for Women offers a number of courses in the UG and PG level. All admissions to the college are in accordance with the enrollment guidelines of the Mahatma Gandhi University. Both aided and self-financed courses are offered by the college.
For self-financing courses, 50% of seats are allotted for general category students, and the remaining 50% is reserved for management quota. Seat Reservation percentage for all other aided programs, as followed by the college is tabulated below:
How to apply?
- General category candidates are shortlisted for admission via the Central Allotment Process (CAP) of MGU. Such students need to apply through the MGU website.
- Candidates seeking reservation (Community, Management, Cultural, Sports, and Physically Disabled Quota) need to apply online through the St. Xavier’s College for Women website.
- Except for Management quota admission which is at the discretion of the college authorities, all other reserved category admissions are as per MGU regulations.
- Applicants are shortlisted on the basis of merit, conduct, and character.
- The Merit lists will be released either on the College notice board or on the College website. Shortlisted applicants will receive Interview letters via post.
- St. Xavier’s College for Women has provision for bonus marks to deserving candidates to facilitate the selection.
- After final shortlisting, accepted candidates are required to make payment of admission fees and submit necessary documents.
St. Xavier’s College for Women Placements
St. Xavier’s College for Women, Aluva has a full-fledged Placement cell that apart from providing a platform for the graduates to get recruited, also equips them with crucial employability skills.
Details of campus placement during AY 2018 – 19 is presented in the table below:
|Organizations that visited||No. of participating students||No. of students placed||No. Recruiting Organizations||No. of participating students||No. of students placed|
The table below summarizes the AY 2019 – 20 Campus Placement:
|Companies visited||No. of students participated||No. of Students recruited|
According to NIRF 2020 data, in the AY 2018 – 19, 24 UG and 13 PG students were placed with a median salary of INR 1.5 LPA. CTC offered to students recruited through the college’s placement drive is on an average in the range of INR 60,000 p.a. – INR 1.2 LPA. The highest package recorded was INR 4.08 LPA offered to a Communicative English student during an off-campus placement opportunity.
St. Xavier’s College for Women Scholarships
Approximately INR 8.31 lacs is distributed among 275+ deserving students annually in the form of institutional scholarships at St. Xavier’s College for Women. Several Financial assistance options are available from the state and central governments as well as other national agencies for deserving students. As per NIRF 2020 data, 866 UG and 70 PG students have received 100% tuition fee reimbursement from the State and Central Government. Some of the major scholarship provisions at the college are listed below:
- Merit-based Higher Education Scholarship: Year I – INR 10,000, Year II – INR 12,000, Year III – INR 18,000
- Single Girl Child Scholarship for PG students: INR 20,000 annually
- Merit-based Inspire Scholarship for science group students: INR 60,000 (INR 20,000 for project work)
- Full fees concession to OBC category students and Socially and Educationally Backward Class (KPCR) with Annual Family Income of INR 1,00,000.
- College Co-operative Society Scholarship, for deserving UG and PG Students.
St. Xavier’s College for Women Facilities
Spread over 7.5 acres, the St. Xavier’s College for Women campus maintains facilities that foster research and academic excellence. Presented below is a list of the college’s infrastructure and facilities:
- ICT-enabled classrooms
- Seminar halls and auditorium
- Wi-Fi connectivity across campus
- Fully automated library with 60,000+ titles and subscriptions to scholarly journals and online resources
- Botany and Zoology Museums, multifunctional Physics Lab, Spectroscopy Lab, and Microbiology Lab
- Well-equipped computer lab
- Power backup
- Reprographic equipment
- Sports ground
- Health facilities
- Student hostel and staff quarters
- An on-campus Co-operative store takes care of miscellaneous needs of staff and students