Updated On - January 29th 2018
Barrackpore Rastraguru Surendranath College, also known as Rastraguru Surendranath College, established in 1953 is a general degree college in Barrackpore. It offers undergraduate courses in arts, commerce, and sciences. There is also postgraduation course in commerce and some of science and arts subject. It is affiliated to West Bengal State University.
- The vision of the college is to make the College a Centre of Excellence and an institution of national acclaim.
- The mission of this college is to ensure and sustain quality in education
- To provide value-based and value-added education with a view to instilling self-confidence among the students
- To inject energy and vigor among the youth and help them to learn, grow and evolve so that their dreams come true
Infosys (Pool campus)
- Department of Bengali
- Department of English
- Department of Hindi
- Department of Urdu
- Department of Political Science
- Department of Philosophy
- Department of History
- Department of Journalism
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Physical Education
National Service Scheme
- Organised a Blood Donation Camp in December 2012
- Organized a programme on 'library Rack Set-up and Cleaning' from 24th September 2012 to 13th October 2012
- NSS Unit had celebrated 'International Peace Day' on 21st September 2012
National Cadet Corps
- Cadet offers NCC facilities to interested students for both boys and girls
- Cadets have a long tradition of different activities of NCC in the State Level as well as International Level
- The central library is equipped with 49000 printed documents and 41 regular journals
- The Library is a part of National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTel), an initiative of IITs & IISc to enhance the quality of education in the country by developing curriculum based video and web courses
- To expedite the curriculum, the college has arranged a good number of digital classrooms in both the campus
- The Digital room has an LCD projector, Internet connectivity, Computer, Laptop and arrangement for visual exhibition of hard copies
- College has a plan to connect these rooms through Wi-Fi connectivity
- There is a healthcare facility for the students in the campus
- Students are entitled to receive services from Barrackpore unit and central unit of the Students’ Health Home
- The auditorium is well equipped with sound system and LCD projector
- Regular Programmes like (annual conference, career fair etc) are being held at this auditorium
- There is a free coaching for cricket, football, and athletics
- Tiffin facilities are being provided to the students attending coaching
Scholarships and Awards:
- Jayanta Chowdhury Memorial Scholarship- It is an annual scholarship of Rs 2000
- Maitri Sangha Janakalyan Ashram- An annual scholarship of Rs. 2,000 (approx).
- Teachers’ Council provides six stipends to the poor and meritorious students.
- Stipends are awarded to eligible students such as Hindi Scholarship, National loan scholarship, National scholarship and stipend for the physically challenged etc.
- The Govt. of India also awards a few scholarships to students belonging to SC, ST, and OBC.
- Nearly 10% of the students are given financial assistance from the students’ Aid Fund yearly. The selection is made on the basis of merit, financial status, and attendance.
- Eight Stipends provided by our Alumni.
- State Govt. is providing the scholarship for both UG & PG students who scored more than 75% & 55% respectively in the previous final examination.