The Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) is set up by the Government of India in Pune. The institute provides PG Diploma and Certificate courses in various disciplines of film and television. Established as ‘Film Institute of India’ in 1960, it was renamed as ‘Film and Television Institute of India’ in 1971. The frequent visits of renowned professionals from television, film and media industries allow students to get knowledge and experience of this sector.
The admission procedure is administered by the Joint Entrance Test (JET) followed by rounds of orientation and Interviews. The candidates are shortlisted for the interview on the basis of the scores secured in the entrance exam.
Check FTII Admissions
FTII Courses and Eligibility
There are three types of courses offered by the institute. A brief about them all is given below
Film Wing: P.G. Diploma and Certificate Course
The eligibility and the total seats available in every specialization are mentioned below
|Course Name||Eligibility||Total Seats|
|Direction & Screenplay Writing||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline||10|
|Feature Film Screenplay Writing||12|
|Sound Recording & Sound Design||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline with Physics as a subject at 10+2 level.||10|
|Art Direction & Production Design||Bachelor’s degree in applied arts, architecture, painting, sculpture, interior design or related fields in fine arts or equivalent diploma from a recognized institute in any of the above.||10|
Television Wing: P.G. Certificate Courses
The eligibility and the total seat allocation for the courses are tabulated below
|Course Name||Eligibility||Total Seats|
|Direction||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline||10|
|Sound Recording & Television Engineering||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline with Physics as a subject at senior secondary (10+2) level||10|
FTII provides various short courses of foundation level (course duration ranging from 5 days to 3 weeks). These courses are conducted throughout the country in association with the State Government, Universities, Educational Institutes, and others. Tabulated below are the brief highlights of the same:
|Writing for Television Fiction & Web series||24 weeks||Degree of a UGC recognized university or equivalent in any field|
|Appreciation of Documentary Films||05 days||HSC (12th pass), in exceptional cases 10th pass will also be considered|
|Screen Acting||20 Days||First – Come – First – Served basis|
|Smartphone Filmmaking at New Delhi||10 days||First-Come-First-Served basis|
|Screenplay Writing||20 days||First – Come – First – Served basis|
|Fiction Writing for Television||20 days||First – Come – First – Served basis|
|Comic Acting||20 days||First – Come – First – Served basis|
|Digital Cinematography||20 Days||First – Come – First – Served basis|
Also, Check FTII Fees Structure
The institute offers scholarships to deserving candidates in the three-year Diploma courses in Film and Television and One Year Certificate Course in Television. The scholarships are awarded on the basis of the performance at the time of admission and later based on the performance in the annual examination in theory, practical and projects.
|FTII Scholarships||Criteria||Amount (INR)|
|Entrance Exam Merit||Toppers in each of the Film Wing Courses||12,500|
|1st Semester Merit
(Based on CGPA & earned credit)
|Common Module (Editing, Sound Recording & Sound Design,
Art Direction & Production Design and
Screenplay Writing) first three toppers
1st – 24,000
|Screenplay||Screenplay Writing Topper||24,000|
II to V Semester Merit
|First and Second topper of each course||
1st – 13,500
Read about FTII Scholarships
The Film and Television Institute of India has a lot of facilities that make it stand out from the other media institutes. A brief about the same are listed below:
- FTII library houses total collection of 3100+ resources which include books covering various subject areas of cinema and related subjects like Indian cinema, direction, cinematography, sound recording, acting, screenplay writing, theatre, visual art, paintings, etc.
- There is a vast collection of films and videos and also has access to the collection of the National Film Archive of India located near the FTII Campus.
- Video documentaries made by students are also available in the Video Library. The Video Library also curates audio-visual material like Disc Records, Video Cassettes and DVDs/VCDs.
- The “Daily Screening” is a unique part of the institute. Every evening from Monday to Friday the screening takes place at the main theatre or National Film Archive of India.
- Classroom theatre is available for all theory classes.
- Also, the IT infrastructure meets the need of IT, Internet, Wi-Fi, and multimedia for the students and the Departments.
- FTII also provides hostel facilities for the out-station candidates with all the required necessities.
- The hostels are Wi-Fi enabled.
- The first semester fees for hostel facility in Post Graduate and certificate course in feature film screenplay writing is INR 32,978.
- From the second semester, the charges for the courses scale down to INR 10,281.
- Hostel rent deposits and other charges for Post Graduate Certificate in Television (Direction, Electronic Cinematography, Video Editing, Sound Recording & Television Engineering) is INR 43,259.
Note: The data mentioned above is of 2018 and do not include extra expenses.
- Sports are also given equal importance in FTII, the modern gymnasium is open 8 hrs free of cost for students, staff, faculty.
- FTII houses a large playground for sports like cricket, football, and a separate basketball court. The one-day cricket between the alumni and students is a long-standing tradition.
- FTII has a swimming pool that is utilized by students, staff, faculty including others.