Department of Design, Nirma University (DODNU) was established in the year 2017. The institute is affiliated to Nirma University, one of India’s leading universities based in Ahmedabad (Gujarat). It provides an intellectual platform and opportunities for young aspirants to interact and learn through ‘learning to build and building to learn’ processes. Department of Design offers professional education in two main disciplines:
- B. Des. Industrial Design program
- B. Des. Communication Design program
The 4 years Bachelor of Design Program begins with a common Foundation year. There is an intense 15 weeks of learning in each of the 7 semesters in the studios, classrooms, workshops and through fieldwork. Learning through Apprenticeships and Internships which occurs during the summer vacation period each year. The 8th semester is a 4 months major research in industry project, on the basis of which the final Degree is granted.
Department of Design, Nirma University (DODNU) Highlights
|Entrance Exam||National: UCEED|
Department of Design, Nirma University (DODNU) Courses
The institute offers a UG course in the field of Design. A brief about the same is given below:
Bachelor of Design (B.Des)
- Specialization: Industrial Design and Communication Design
- Passed 10+2 (HSC) with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks or 10+3 Diploma recognized by Central/State government.
- Obtained a valid score in UCEED followed by Situation Test and Personal Interview.
- Duration: 4 years
- Intake: 80
- Fees (INR): 3,19,900
Check: DODNU Courses and Fees
Department of Design, Nirma University (DODNU) Admission
- Visit the official website of the institute and click on the ‘Admission’ tab.
- Go to ‘Apply’ and fill the application form carefully.
- Pay the non-refundable application fee INR 2000 (INR 3000 for NRI/NRI Sponsored) via online mode (Debit/Credit Card/Net Transfer).
- General/NRI sponsored candidates will be considered for admission only on the basis of UCEED scores.
- Candidates must have secured a valid score in Undergraduate Common Entrance Test for Design (UCEED).
- Shortlisted candidates will be called for Situation Test and Personal Interview.
Merit Weightage: For the students applying this year, the following weightage will be given for each component of the selection criteria and composite scores will be computed based on the following:
Step 1: UCEED Score 50%
Step 2: Situation Test 30%
Step 3: Personal Interview 20%
The Situation Test will evaluate the design aptitude of applicants with the objective of measuring skills in 2D and 3D visualization, creativity, handling of materials and dexterity of making.
Personal Interview of candidates will evaluate general awareness, aptitudes and interests, quality of responses to social and cultural issues, etc. Candidate’s ability to articulate thoughts through creative work done by the student (portfolio) may be shown to the Interview panel.
The following documents are to be produced at the time of personal interview:
- 10th and 12th Mark sheet
- School Leaving Certificate or Transfer Certificate
- Diploma Mark sheet (if applicable)
- Latest Passport Size Photograph
Additional Documents to be submitted by NRI/NRI Sponsored Category applicants:
- Proof of Residence of Sponsor (applicable to NRI Sponsored applicant)
- Passport of self and his/her Parents (applicable to NRI applicant)
- Affidavit from Sponsoring person
- Equivalence Certificate from Association of Indian Universities, New Delhi (if an applicant has passed the qualifying examination from outside India)
- Passport of Sponsoring person (having signature of Sponsor) (applicable to NRI Sponsored applicant)
- Any other relevant certificate
Department of Design, Nirma University (DODNU) Placement
The Placement Cell of NU is a working body that counsels and provides training to the job aspirants before appearing for an interview. The cell provides full placement support to its students in all areas of professional education. The Department of Design at Nirma University conducts Industry Training programs such as Design Workshops, Design Labs as well as Design Camps from time to time. DODNU invites Industry to work with the multifaceted faculty member team and student-designers on live working projects. The cell welcomes industry to sponsor classroom projects, summer projects and internships.
Some of the prominent recruiters of the institute are Akash Institute, Adani Logistics, BDO, Care, Coffee Day Beverages, Dabur Ltd., Ford, NBC Bearing, Torrent Power, LNT Limited, Kotak Mahindra Bank Ltd. and many more.
Department of Design, Nirma University (DODNU) Activities
- Mapping design
- Building case studies in technology and design innovations
- Creating new learning and teaching aids
- User experience in products and services that are critical for urban, semi-urban and rural living
- Strategic and sustainable design, issues of concern for citizens and nations in contemporary times
- Documenting and creating visual narratives that motivate and compel viewers to humane actions
Department of Design, Nirma University (DODNU) Facilities
- Computer Laboratories
- Video Conference
- Skype Facility
- Guest House for Corporate Visitors
- Separate Conference and Interview Rooms
- Online Tests