Directorate of Cashew Research [DCR], Puttur, is also known as ICAR- Directorate of Cashew Research. DCR Puttur is a public (Autonomous) and recognized by ICAR. was established in the year 1986 as a National Research Centre for Cashew (NRCC), Puttur. The institute offers a Ph.D. degree in Agricultural Engineering. Candidates will be shortlisted on the basis of their marks in his/her PG and they will be called for an interview process. To be eligible for admissions candidates need to complete their Post- graduation in a relevant field from a recognized board. The institute has also a dedicated placement cell that helps the students in getting various on and off-campus job opportunities.
Directorate of Cashew Research Highlights
|Established | Type||1986 | Public (Autonomous)|
|Approved by||Indian Council of Agriculture Research (ICAR), Delhi|
|Set by||Government of India|
|Courses offered||Ph.D. (Agriculture Engineering)|
|Facilities Available||Library, Auditorium, Information center, Laboratories, Hostels Boys & Girls, Cafeteria, Sports|
Directorate of Cashew Research Achievements
- Directorate of Cashew Research has the largest germplasm collection of cashews in the country (National Cashew Field Gene Bank) with 527 accessions. About 433 cashew accessions assigned with National Collection numbers. The Conservation Block of Gene Bank has been established with 362 accessions by planting four plants of each accession.
- Three varieties NRCC Sel-1, NRCC Sel-2, and Bhaskara, introduced by DCR. The standard protocol of these varieties and germplasm accession by using the RAPD, ISSR, and SSR markers. That is high yielding and medium nut types for cultivation in the country.
- DCR Laboratory rearing technique for Tea Mosquito Bug (TMB) has been standardized in various host plants. λ-cyhalothrin (0.003%) and fenpropathrin (0.02%) were proved effective in reducing the damage of TMB under the field condition.
- Post-Harvest Technology section of Directorate of Cashew Research has developed radial arm type cashew kernel extracting machine, dual-mode dryer for raw cashew nut, concentric drum type rotary sieve grader for raw cashew nut, mechanized drum roasting machine for raw cashew nut, updraft gasifier for cashew shell cake and hydraulically operated cashew juice extractor.
Directorate of Cashew Research Courses
|Ph.D.||Course Type: Doctoral Stream: Agriculture Engineering
Duration: 3 years
Eligibility: Must have completed their PG in a relevant field from a recognized board.
Selection Criteria: Merit Based
Read More: DCR Puttur Fees
Directorate of Cashew Research Admission
Admission to its Ph.D. program is completely based on the candidate’s performance in his/her post-graduation.
Candidates will be shortlisted on the basis of their marks in his/her PG and they will be called for an interview process.
The application form for admission in DCR is available on the official website of the Directorate of Cashew Research Puttur. Those students who want to take admission can apply and submit the application form on the official website. The selection is done on the basis of the merit list of students.
Directorate of Cashew Research Placement
The placement cell of DCR Puttur is supporting students to make their good career choice and training for students provided by the DCR with national and international agencies in research methodologies and on national research projects.
Directorate of Cashew Research Facilities
DCR, Puttur has some state-of-the-art facilities for its students as well as for its faculties, some of which are listed below:
- Laboratories: The institute has well-equipped laboratories to keep the students engaged in the learning process.
- Sports: The institute puts a great emphasis on sports and other co-curricular activities, the institute has tennis courts, a playground for cricket and football, a Basketball ground, etc.
- Hostel: The institute has separate hostel facilities for boys and girls as well as guest house facilities for other acquaintances
- Wi-Fi: The campus has a central Wi-Fi facility for its students and faculties.
Directorate of Cashew Research FAQs
Ques. Where DCR Puttur is located?
Ans. The institute is located at, Darbe, Puttur, Dakshina Kannada, Karnataka (India). Pin code. -574202. Contact: 08251-230902, 231530, 234350
Ques. What are the documents required to be submitted at the time of admission in DCR Puttur?
Ans. Candidates should keep the following documents handy at the time of admission:
- PG Marks card
- Entrance Scorecard (if appeared)
- ID Proof
- Recent passport size photographs
- Caste Certificate
- Domicile Certificate
Ques. How good are the faculties of DCR Puttur?
Ans. The Directorate of Cashew Research Puttur has very well-trained faculties. Faculty deliver lectures in the best way and motivate or encourage students to do new research. The college has dedicated faculty which makes it very easy to understand the concepts and develop in-depth knowledge of subjects.
Read More: DCR Puttur Faculty
Ques. Does the institute provide scholarship opportunities to the students?
Ans. Students have to appear for entrance examinations such as UGC-NET, CSIR NET, etc, to be eligible for the fellowship. Students clearing the cut off of these entrance tests will be getting a monthly amount as a stipend.
Ques. What is the scope of pursuing a PhD in Agriculture Engineering?
Ans. Students pursuing a Ph.D. in Agriculture Engineering have a wide variety of scope in this field. They can opt for any of the following job profile after the completion of their Ph.D. program:
- Agricultural Scientist
- Land Development Engineer
- Environmental Controls Engineer
Students can also go into the teaching field and work as Assistant Professor in a College or University.