The Home Science College and Research Institute offers B.Sc., Post-graduation and P.HD. Courses in Home Science. Developed with the latest features and the modern technology, the institute has 5 well found departments of Food Science and Nutrition, Family Resource Management, Human Development, Apparel Designing and Fashion Technology and Home Science Extension. The college aims to provide the value based knowledge and make the youth of today independent and confident carrying professional proficiency.
Facts & Figures:
Tamilnadu Agricultural University, Madurai
10000 reference books, 3000 text books & 1000 journals
10 km away from Madurai City
On National Highway to Chennai, Melur Road
Why to join the Home Science College and Research Institute?
1. Run by Scholarly Dean: Recipient of the award for 25 meritorious years of service by Tamilnadu Agricultural University, Dr. P. Banumathi, the college Dean has published 5 books, 27 research papers at International and National level, 43 popular articles. She has won many awards and accolades for her performance in this field and has trained 16 M.Sc. students and 9 Ph.D. students for their research.
2. Combination of Research and Academics: The course structure in all fields has been developed in such a manner that both- the theory and the practical activities are covered. Some portion of the curriculum concentrates on the basic studies while the other relates to the research training, giving the students a more realistic view of the topic.
3. Core and Vocational Courses: With the specialization like apparel design and fashion technology, various short term vocational and core courses for the undergraduates are available to provide the knowledge on specific topics.
4. Technological Transfer: The students at the college are trained in such a manner that whatever they learn can be transferred to the original real world. The education is provided so as to develop the technologies related to each sector and then make it tangible for use in the outside world.
5. Job Placements: Students of the college easily find placements in schools, universities or the industries relating to nutrition and dietetics, catering, home science, food sector or textiles. Famous employers at this institution are National Institute of Nutrition (NIN), Defense Food Research Laboratory (DFRL), Central Food Technological Research Institute (CFTRI and many other private industries.