Auxiliary Nursing Midwifery or ANM for short, is a 2 year undergraduate diploma course in nursing.
The minimum eligibility criteria to get admitted into Auxiliary Nursing Midwifery course is to be a minimum 10+2 level pass out with a minimum aggregate score of at least 50%.
Some institutes admit students on merit-basis of the state or national level entrance examination. For admission through entrance exams, a counselling round is also held for the candidates.
Check: ANM Nursing Admission 2021
ANM students are educated on maternity care and providing assistance to new mothers during pregnancy and post-delivery. Candidates are also taught on various aspects of medicare that aim at improving the health of patients, families and society in large.
ANM: Course Highlights
Some essential course details of the ANM course are as below.
|Full-Form||Auxiliary Nursing Midwifery|
|Examination type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||10+2 level with minimum 50% aggregate score from Science stream|
|Admission Process||Merit or Entrance based|
|Course Fee||INR 10,000 to INR 5,00,000|
|ANM Salary||INR 3,00,000 to INR 8,00,000 lac p.a.|
|ANM Job Positions||Clinical Nurse Specialist, Legal Nurse Consultant, Forensic Nursing, Madam, In-charge & Helper, Teacher & Junior Lecturer, Travelling Nurse, Receptionist & Entry Operator, Brand Representative & Hyper, Sale-purchase Assistant, Emergency Room Nurse & Midwife Nurse, among others.|
|Employment Areas||Medical Colleges, Medical Content Writing, Community Healthcare Centres, Nursing Homes, Self-Clinic, Medical Labs, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Indian Red Cross Society, Indian Nursing Council, State Nursing Councils, Kailash Hospital, Metro Hospital, AIIMS, Fortis Hospital, Orphanage, etc.|
Tabulated below are some of top colleges offering ANM nursing in India
|College Name||City||Duration||Average Annual Fees|
|NIMS University||Jaipur||2 years||INR 50,000|
|Arrdekta Institute of Technology||Sabarkantha||2 years||INR 1,13,000|
|Tilak Maharashtra Vidyapeeth||Pune||1 year||INR 76,000|
|Assam Down Town University||Guwahati||2 years||INR 1.7 lakhs|
|Swami Vivekanand Subharti University||Meerut||2 years||INR 70,000|
|Teerthanker Mahaveer University||Moradabad||2 years||INR 61,200|
|Noida International University||Gautam Budh Nagar||2 years||INR 72,000|
|Parul University||Vadodara||2 years||INR 25,000|
|UP Rural Institute of Medical Sciences and Research||Etawah||2 years||INR 24,000|
|Rama University||kanpur||2 years||INR 75,000|
What is the ANM Eligibility Criteria?
To take admissions in any institute in the ANM Nursing course, one has to meet certain eligibility criteria. The criteria may differ from college to college but the following general criteria can be applied to all institutes.
- The candidates must have successfully completed the 10+2 level of education, from a recognized educational Board.
- A minimum aggregate score of 50% (40% for SC/ST candidates) at the 10+2 level must have been scored.
- Candidates must have science subjects in their 10+2 level of education.
What is the ANM Admission Process?
Admission to the ANM course is done through both merit basis and through an entrance examination. Parul University,NIMS University,Rama University, etc are some of the colleges offering ANM admission on the basis of merit.
For admission through an entrance examination, a round of counselling is also held. Details on both forms of admission are outlined below.
Institutes that offer admission to ANM program through merit release lists of cut-off marks on the basis of which students are admitted.
The step-by-step guide to apply through merit-based ANM admission process 2021 is as follows.
- Registration: Registration can be done online or offline. Once the cut off lists are displayed, the application form can be filled up using the institute’s admission portal. Most portals will require candidates to create a profile and then fill up details pertaining to admission like past educational details, name, address, contact details etc.
- Scanning and uploading documents: Mark sheets and other documents to support the admission must be submitted with the application form. Scan all necessary documents in the format specified and upload them to the application portal.
- Payment of application fee: A nominal application fee is also required to be paid while submitting the application form. This is required so as to help process the application. Payment can be done using online payment methods and through debit and credit cards. Once payment is done, download the receipt and submit the application.
- Results: Institutes will take from anywhere between 1 to 2 weeks to process applications. The final list of candidates will be uploaded online to the institute’s website.
- Admission: If a candidate is successful in securing a seat, they can then proceed to take admission in the college. An admission fee is to be paid to secure the seat in the college.
Most universities and colleges offering ANM courses admit students on the basis of an entrance examination. The entrances are either college based CET or state entrances.
The step by step process to apply through entrance exams ANM admission process 2021 is as follows.
- Registration: Like in merit-based admission, the first step is to register for the examinations. Application portals open up and the application dates are announced on the institute’s website. Registration should be done soon to prevent delay.
- Documentation upload: Fill up the application form with all essential details. Documents like mark sheets and date birth proof need to be scanned and uploaded in a certain format. The application portal can be used to do the same.
- Application fee: A minimal application fee is required to be paid to process the application. Payment can be done using all major online payment modes like e-wallets, credit and debit card payments and online payment.
- Issue and download of admit card: Once all applications are received, the eligible candidates are shortlisted. Admit cards are uploaded on the website which can be downloaded and printed.
- Exams: Examination dates are announced well before time. It is important to take all essential documents including admit card and identification documents on the exam day.
- Results: Within a week or so of the examinations, the results will be announced on the website or on-campus bulletin boards. A counselling round will be held for the students who are eligible for admissions.
- Admissions: If the candidate has done all the due process, admission can be taken. The admission fee has to be paid to secure a seat in the programme.
What are the Top ANM Entrance Exams?
ANM Entrance Exams are conducted by the states by various state governing bodies. Some states also take admissions through merit.
Given below are the important dates of some of the state level ANM entrance exams.
|Exam Name||Conducting Body||Exam Date||Exam Mode|
|UP ANM||Uttar Pradesh University of Medical Science||To be announced||Offline|
|Andhra Pradesh ANM||Commissionerate of Health Family Welfare||To be announced||Offline|
|Punjab ANM||Department of Health and Family Welfare Punjab||To be announced||Offline|
|Maharashtra ANM||Department of Health and Family Welfare Maharashtra||To be announced||Offline|
|West Bengal ANM||West Bengal Health Department||To be announced||Offline|
|Karnataka ANM||Karnataka Health Department||To be announced||Offline|
|Kerala ANM||Kerala Health Department||To be announced||Offline|
How to get admission in a good ANM college?
Gaining admission into a top ANM college, the following points will be useful:
- The first step towards securing a seat in any institute is to ensure a good aggregate score at the 12th class examinations. A minimum score of 55% and above is sufficient to gain admission in an average institute.
- The next step is to crack the entrances, if any. Mentioned below are some of the points to be kept in mind while appearing for the entrances:
- The syllabus for ANM exams contains the science subjects material taught in the 10+2 level examinations. Since the material covered is large, preparation should be started well in advance.
- Entrance examinations may also contain an English grammar and comprehension section. The section tests the candidate’s basic knowledge of English grammar. Comprehension is also checked.
- There is also a logical and quantitative reasoning section too. The type of questions covered in this section needs to be checked from past papers.
- Most institutes upload past papers from previous year’s examinations. They must be downloaded and practised during the practice sessions.
- The practice of model papers must be done in a timed manner. This is useful during the actual examination day so as to make sure there is no time lost during the paper.
- The latest news and current affairs pertaining to the industry and the country at large must be read every day.
Note: All the latest admission news regarding cut-offs, application deadlines, examination dates etc. must be noted as soon as they are posted up.
The year wise breakup of the ANM syllabus is given below:
|Biological Science||Anatomy & Physiology|
|Fundamental of Nursing||Psychology|
|Personal Hygiene||Environment Hygiene|
|Health Education & Communication Skill||Community Health Nursing|
|Medical Surgical Nursing I (Including Pharmacology)||Medical Surgical Nursing II (Specialties)|
|Mental Health & Psychiatric Nursing||Computer Education|
ANM vs BSc Nursing: What is the Difference?
The table below shows a comparison of ANM and B.Sc Nursing courses.
|Overview||It is a two-three year undergraduate diploma course in midwifery and maternity care.||It is a four-year undergraduate level professional course in multiple aspects of healthcare.|
|Admission criteria||Merit-based or entrance examination||Entrance Examination|
|Average fee||INR 10,000 to INR 5,00,000||INR 8,500 to INR 1,20,000|
|Average placement package||INR 3 to INR 8 Lacs per annum||INR 2 to 5 INR Lacs per annum|
Source: College Website and Payscale
ANM vs GNM: What is the Difference?
The table below gives a comparison between ANM and GNM nursing courses.
|Full Form||Auxiliary Nursing Midwifery||General Nursing and Midwifery|
|Overview||Auxiliary Nursing and Midwifery is a two-year diploma course in nursing with a specialisation in maternal care.||It is a three and a half year long diploma course dealing in general nursing and healthcare.|
|Focus area||Focus is wider and involves care of families, communities etc.||Focus is more on pregnancy care and care of mothers.|
|Average fee||INR 10,000 to INR 5,00,000||INR 20,000 to INR 1.5 lacs p.a.|
|Average placement package||INR 3 to INR 8 Lacs per annum||INR 2 to INR 5 Lacs per annum|
Source: College Website and Payscale
ANM Jobs and Scope
Upon completion of the ANM Nursing course, most graduates chose to go for employment or for higher studies. ANM nurses are hired in many areas of healthcare like private and government hospitals, industries, orphanages, nursing homes, old age homes, sanatoriums, and the Armed Forces medical services etc.
ANM salary ranges between INR 3,00,000 to INR 10,00,000 lac p.a. ANM vacancy comes out popularly in Indian Red Cross Society, Indian Nursing Council etc.
Some of the ANM Job profiles with descriptions are listed below:
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary in INR|
|Clinical Nurse Specialist||Clinical Nurse Specialists work in doctor's facilities, hospitals, clinics, medical centres, and other healthcare centres. They are typically specialists in a particular territory, for example, gerontology, cardiovascular health, or public policy.||4,50,553|
|Legal Nurse Consultant||Legal Nurse Consultants are registered nurse attendants who offer medical data to legal entities and experts about relevant cases. The expert counsel of such professionals may constitute arranging medical care, surveying medical records, or preparing reports and outlines about the ailing.||5,30,989|
|Forensic Nurse||Nurses perform duties that are significantly more specific than nurses commonly perform. They perform an assortment of roles, including assessing and caring for victims of assault, child and adult abuse, domestic abuse, neglect, and sexual crimes. As they treat casualties, forensic nurses gather and secure evidence.||4,94,720|
|Travelling Nurse||Travelling Nurse is a healthcare professional who helps constantly sick or homebound patients or helps in medical offices with staffing deficiencies. Some travel nurses move between hospitals, schools, and clinics too.||2,37,186|
After graduating with an ANM diploma, there are many programmes and courses one can choose to do. If one does not wish to seek employment there are plenty of higher studies options in India and abroad.
Some of the courses one can opt to do after ANM Nursing course are as follows.
BSc Nursing: BSc Nursing is a four-year long undergraduate nurse in healthcare. BSc Nursing graduates are hired as a nurse in different professional areas and roles. Eligibility criteria for admission is through 10+2 level examinations and candidates who have a diploma in nursing like ANM or GNM can also apply to the programme.
Management programmes: Management programmes are popular among students who aspire to build a professional career as managers and in the management department.Most students follow the undergraduate degree in management with a masters in management programme like MBA. Job opportunities increase tenfold for students following a management degree.
Higher studies degrees will not only enhance and add value to a graduate’s resume but also open up more career opportunities.
Ques. What is the ANM full form ?
Ans. ANM full form stands for Auxiliary Nursing Midwifery.
Ques. What is the average fee range for ANM?
Ans. ANM courses charge around INR 10,000 to INR 1,50,000 annually.
Ques. What is the duration of an ANM course?
Ans. ANM course is completed in 2 to 3 years.
Ques. What is the admission process for ANM Nursing 2020?
Ans. Admissions is conducted on both merit-basis and through entrance examinations for ANM.
Ques. What is the admissions season for ANM?
Ans. ANM entrance examinations are conducted in the months of April to May every year.
Ques. What is the ANM college list ?
Ans. The top three institutes for ANM in India are King’s George Medical University Lucknow and Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College Aligarh Muslim University, UP.
Ques. What are some ANM job profiles?
Ans. Some of the ANM job profiles are Clinical Nurse Specialist, Legal Nurse Consultant, Forensic Nursing, Madam, In-charge & Helper, Teacher & Junior Lecturer, Travelling Nurse, Receptionist & Entry Operator, Brand Representative & Hyper, Sale-purchase Assistant, Emergency Room Nurse & Midwife Nurse, among other.
Ques. What is the average ANM Nursing salary ?
Ans. ANM course passouts earn an average placement package of INR 3,00,000 to INR 10,00,000 lac p.a.
Ques. What is the eligibility criteria for ANM Nursing?
Ans. The basic eligibility criteria for ANM is 10+2 level pass out from science stream with at least 55% scored in aggregate score.
Ques. What are some organizations where ANM nurses are hired in?
Ans. ANM nurses have been hired in Indian Red Cross Society, Indian Nursing Council, State Nursing Councils, Kailash Hospital, Metro Hospital, AIIMS, Fortis Hospital, Orphanage, etc.