BArch Interior Design, full form Bachelor of Architecture in Interior Design, is a 5-years undergraduate course in Fashion and Interior Designing. BArch Interior design imparts practical and theoretical knowledge on how to turn an interior space into an effective setting.
BArch Interior Design eligibility criteria require candidates must possess a 10+2 level certificate or equivalent 10+3 years Diploma certificate from any recognized institution/colleges with 50% aggregate marks.
Know More About Interior Design Courses
BArch Interior Design admission are granted on the basis of entrance exam scores followed by counselling and document verification rounds.
A few colleges conduct their own entrance exams for BArch Interior Design course though admission is done on merit basis too. The average BArch Interior Design course fees may range from INR 20,000 to 6,00,000 per annum depending upon the institute.
After BArch Interior Design, candidates can work as Architect, Interior Decorator, Lighting Designer, Set Designer, Project Manager, etc., with an average salary of INR 2 LPA to INR 8 LPA.
Know More: Architecture Courses in India
BArch Interior Design: Course Highlights
|Degree||BArch Interior Design|
|Full Form||Bachelor of Architecture in Interior Design|
|Eligibility||10+2 with a minimum aggregate score of 50%|
|Admission Process||Merit based/ Entrance exam followed by counselling|
|Job Positions||Architect, Interior Decorator, Lighting Designer, Set Designer, Project Manager, etc.|
|Top recruiting companies||Architect Hafeez Contractor, Dar Al Handasah, Arcop, Sobha Developers Ltd, Larsen & Toubro Limited, Gensler, etc.|
|Average salary||INR 2,00,000 to 8,00,000|
What is the BArch Interior Design Admission Process?
Admission to the BArch Interior Design course is usually entrance based in some colleges and universities as well as merit based. The marks obtained in the qualifying examinations are considered for the purpose of offering admission to the students and the entrance exam will be followed by the counselling round.
- Some colleges provide direct admissions to the course on the basis of the marks obtained in their 10+2 examinations.
- NATA is the most preferred entrance exam for BArch Interior Design admissions.
- The institutes release provisional merit lists and the candidates shortlisted will be required to appear for document verification and counselling rounds on the prescribed date and venue.
- Lateral Entry aspirants with a diploma in the field of engineering are also eligible to apply.
Check: BArch Admission 2021
BArch Interior Design: Eligibility Criteria
Students who wish to pursue BArch Interior Design courses must meet up with the following eligibility criteria. The minimum marks required in the 10+2 may vary from college to college.
- Aspiring students should have qualified 10+2 or equivalent examination.
- The candidates should have passed their 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as compulsory subjects with a reasonably high percentage of marks (minimum 50% and 45% for SC/ST in aggregate).
BArch Interior Design: Entrance Exams
Admission to BArch Interior Design is either entrance based or merit based. Some of the top entrance exams conducted for admissions to BArch Interior Design course is given below:
|Entrance Exams||Application Form Last Date||Exam Date|
|JEE Advanced||1st week of June, 2021||July 3, 2021|
|JEE Mains||January 23, 2021||February 23 – 26, 2021
March 15 – 18, 2021
April 27 – 30, 2021
May 24 – 28, 2021
|NATA||Phase I - March 2021 Phase II - April 2021||Paper 1 - April 2021 Paper 2 - May 2021|
|BITSAT||4th week of March 2021||3rd to 4th week of May 2021|
BArch Interior Design : Entrance Exam Tips
The most important thing for a student is to decide the factors which are responsible for succeeding in any entrance examination. Below are some of the helpful tips for candidates preparing for entrance exams:
- One should go through the previous year's question papers and perform a proper analysis of the entrance exam pattern.
- The candidates should know the updated syllabus, marking scheme, pattern etc.of the entrance exam.
- Start with the books of class 11th and 12th NCERT which will help the students with the basic concepts and understanding.
- The candidates can also give online or offline tests to analyse your preparation.
- Effective time management is very essential to qualify any entrance exam. The candidates should have enough time to focus on the revision part as well; focusing only on the stronger sections while leaving the weaker sections might impact the performance greatly
BArch Interior Design: What is it about?
- BArch Interior Design is a creative course study, which mainly focuses on practices of skills needed to designing and constructing the furniture to be used for filling up the interior spaces, construct and apply innovative ideas to the design of malls, houses, commercial buildings, etc, drawing the layouts for efficient usage of the space.
- It mainly covers the study of organizing, managing and planning of the interiors of various establishments. The program often combines the study of aspects of architecture, environmental psychology, product design, traditional decoration, fine arts, liberal arts and science & technology courses.
- The total fee structure of the program ranges INR 2,00,000 - INR 6,00,0000. The fee structure depends upon the type of institute/ university one has opted.
- The average starting salary of the BArch Interior Design ranges INR 2 LPA - INR 8 LPA.
BArch Interior Design: Course Advantages
Most of the students prefer to study BArch Interior Design course because of the following advantages:
- The course seems to be perfect for candidates with interest in architectural drawings and other design related activities.
- Enrolled students would possess many skills such as analytical skills, imagination, creativity, self-motivation, and listening skills.
- BArch Interior Designs graduate's salary on an average is estimated to be INR 5 Lakh per annum.
- Candidates can opt for various private and government sectors jobs both in India and abroad.
BArch Interior Design: Course Comparison
The major differences between BArch Interior Design and BDes Interior Design courses are tabulated below on the basis of various parameters:
|Parameters||BArch Interior Design||B.Des Interior Design|
|Full Name||Bachelor of Architecture in Interior Design||Bachelor of Design in Interior Design|
|Duration||5 years||4 years|
|Course Overview||The aim of the course is to teach students how to turn an interior space into an effective setting for a range of human activities.||B.Des in Interior Design provides a thorough understanding of contemporary professional practice and all facets of project management in the field of Interior Design.|
|Eligibility||10+2 with a minimum aggregate score of 50%||10+2 with business or expressions with a minimum of 45%|
|Admission Process||Merit or Entrance based followed by counselling||Merit or Entrance based followed by PI/ Counselling|
|Average Tuition Fees||INR 20,000 to INR 6,00,000||INR 10,000 to INR 5,00,000|
|Average salary||INR 2,00,000 to INR 8,00,000||INR 5,00,000 to INR 12,00,000|
BArch Interior Design: Top Colleges
|Name of College/ University||Average Fees|
|School of Planning and Architecture, New Delhi||INR 1,20,000|
|Sinhgad College of Architecture||INR 1,25,000|
|Kamla Raheja Vidyanidhi Institute of Architecture and Environmental Studies||INR 1,70,000|
|Kings Cornerstone International College||INR 2,25,000|
|Indian Institute of Technology, Kharapur||INR 82,000|
|Sir JJ College of Architecture||INR 18,000|
|Birla Institute of Technology||INR 2,87,000|
|CEPT University||INR 1,60,000|
BArch Interior Design: College Comparison
|Parameter||Indian Institute of Technology||Birla Institute of Technology|
|Overview||The Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee ranked as the best technological institutions in the whole world. In 1996 the University celebrated its 150th year of existence.||Birla Institute of Technology, Ranchi [BIT Mesra] main Campus is spread over an area of 780 acre and it was founded as a premier Engineering Institution in India.|
|Location||Roorkee, Uttarakhand||Ranchi, Jharkhand|
|Admission process||Entrance exam||Entrance exam|
|Average annual fees||INR 77,280||INR 2,87,000|
|Average annual package||INR 10,00,000||INR 11,76,000|
|Top recruiters||EIL, Transbit Technologies Software Pvt. Ltd, Directi, Triune Energy, Redbee Infrastructure, Unitech etc.||NTPC, Avery Dennison, Visa Steel, Vedanta Group, Tata Power, Essar Ltd, Telcon, Frost & Sullivan etc.|
BArch Interior Design: Syllabus
BArch Interior Design course curriculum is designed to train students to make a career in the Interior Design industry. The BArch Interior Design syllabus is divided into 10 semesters with each semester taking place at 6months duration.
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Architectural Design||Building Technology & Materials|
|Architectural Design and Graphics||Building Sciences|
|Basic Design||Building Management|
|Interior Materials and Products||Interior Drawings and Representation Skills|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Building Services||Design Fundamentals of Architecture|
|Computer Applications||Environmental Sciences|
|Construction, Services & Materials||Environmental Studies|
|History of Furniture||Computer and Software Lab|
|Semester 5||Semester 6|
|Concepts of Estimating||History of Art & Culture|
|Concepts of Costing||Architectural Appreciation|
|Furniture Design||Design Applications|
|History of Architecture||History of Interiors|
|Semester 7||Semester 8|
|Quantity Surveying||Theory of Structures 2|
|Architectural Designing System||Town Planning 1|
|Quantity Estimates||Software for Designing|
|Interior Services||Building Construction 2|
|Semester 9||Semester 10|
|Town Planning||Communication Skills|
|Basics of Sketching||Personality Development|
|Landscape Architecture 2||Advance Interior Services|
|Workshop and Model Making 1||Workshop and Model Making 2|
BArch Interior Design: Job Prospects
|Job Position||Average Salary|
|Interior Designer||INR 4LPA to 9 LPA|
|Architect||INR 3 LPA to 7 LPA|
|Consultant||INR 3 LPA to 5 LPA|
|Exhibition Designer||INR 3 LPA to 8 LPA|
BArch Interior Design: Future Prospects
BArch Interior Design scope is wide as candidates get so many opportunities in different related fields. The career prospects of such graduates are:
- Interior Designer is one of the few professions where one can operate from home with a minimum investment.
- Self employment after the degree course is also one of the future prospects for BArch Interior Design graduates.
- Such candidates can also go for higher studies in the field of Interior Design and Architecture.
- Candidates can work in various private and corporate sectors as well.
Know More: MArch (M.Arch) course details
BArch Interior Design: FAQs
Ques. What are employment opportunities available after BArch Interior Design?
Ques. What skills can be acquired by pursuing BArch. Interior Design course?
Ques. What is taught in BArch. Interior Design course?
Ques. Is qualifying an entrance examination compulsory for joining this course?
Ques. Is it necessary to pursue an M.Arch. course in Interior Design after BArch. Interior Design?
Ques. Why should one pursue a BArch Interior Design course?
Ques. Is it compulsory to study Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics subjects in 10+2 to pursue BArch. Interior Design course?