Bachelor of Arts in Kannada, commonly known as B.A. Kannada is an undergraduate course of duration 3 years. It is an advanced study of the history, usage, and culture of Kannada language.
Aspiring candidates must have cleared the 10+2 examinations with a minimum of 50% marks in the corresponding courses to become eligible for admission.
Candidates are admitted to the B.A. in Kannada programme based on their performance in the qualifying examination. In addition, some of the renowned universities publish a cut-off list, and students who meet the college's cut-off may apply for admission to the course.
Some of the top colleges that offer BA in Kannada are Karnataka State Open University, JSS College of Arts Science and Commerce, BMS College for Women, Anjuman Arts and Commerce College, etc. The average fees charged by the Institutes ranges between INR 700- INR 8,300.
See Also: BA Kannada Top Colleges
Some of the subjects taught in the B.A. in Kannada include Cultural History of Karnataka, Old Kannada Literature, Traditional Kannada grammar, Kannada Folk Literature, etc.
For graduates in this area, different career options are open, for instance, one can also become a teacher, translator, or freelancer. Moreover, candidates can go for Master of Arts in Kannada and can further go for M. Phil and Ph. D in Kannada.
A successful graduate of the course should expect to earn between INR 3 and 10 lacs per year on average. Consultancies, educational institutes, fire services, industrial growth, export firms, and international relations are among the top fields that hire the candidates.
BA Kannada: Course Highlights
|BA Full Form||Bachelor of Arts|
|Examination Type||Semester Type|
|Eligibility Criteria||10+2 with 50% marks in aggregate|
|Admission Process||Merit-Based or Direct Admission|
|Average Course Fee||INR 5000 - 50,000 per annum|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 4.2 Lacs per annum|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Consultancies, Educational Institutes, Fire Department, Economic Development, Export Companies, Foreign Affairs, Field Research Firms, Financial Organizations, Industrial Houses, Law Firms,etc.|
|Job Profiles||Translator, Interpreter, News Anchor, Journalist, Freelancer, Teacher, Tourism|
BA Kannada: Eligibility Criteria
For admissions to B.A. in Kannada, the students are required to meet the following eligibility criteria given below:
- Students must have qualified 10+2 or equivalent examination from any recognized education board.
- Students must have secured a minimum aggregate of 50% in the qualifying examination (For the SC/ST/OBC category, the minimum aggregate is 45%).
- Students should have also studied the Kannada language as one of the main subjects in 10+2.
BA Kannada: Admission Process
The admission process of B.A in Kannada differs from one institute to the other. Some provide direct admission based on the candidate’s performance at the 10+2 level and some conduct an entrance exam followed by a round of personal interviews to admit the students based on the applicant’s suitability to join the undergraduate programme. The admission process generally varies across colleges.
BA Kannada: How to Apply?
- Download the application form from the official website of the opted college, if available.
- Fill up the form and submit it to the Institute’s office within the deadline mentioned.
- The applicants must have all of the necessary documentation for the counselling process in the mentioned format.
BA Kannada: How to Get Admission to a Good College?
Securing admission in a college is not a tough job but admitting oneself to a top college is really difficult, Here’s a guide to admission in a good college:
- Students must concentrate on high school academics in order to achieve good grades.
- To improve your skills and your chances of getting into a good college, take as many extracurricular subjects as you can.
- Develop your attitude and body language by working on your personality.
BA Kannada: Syllabus
The latest B.A in Kannada Syllabus is in the table given below:
|Year I||Year II||Year III|
|Cultural History of Karnataka||Modern Kannada Literature||Old and Medieval Kannada Literature|
|Medieval Kannada Literature||Old Kannada Literature||Traditional Kannada grammar|
|History of Kannada Literature||Cultural History of Kannada||Kannada Folk Literature|
BA Kannada: Important Books
Tabulated below are some of the B.A. in Kannada subject books that can help students to have a broader and better understanding of the course:
|Name of the Book||Author|
|Kadaliya Karapura||Dr. H. Tipperudra - Swamy|
|Harakeya Kuri- Drama||Chandraekhar kambar Manohar Grath male Dharwad|
|Vachana kammata||K Marulasiddappa . k r nagaraj|
Why Choose BA Kannada?
There are no particular set skills compulsorily required for students to study B.A. Kannada, though it will certainly be helpful and easier if they posses the following:
- Good Interpersonal Skills
- Great Communication Skills
- Creative Thinking
- Curiosity about the Culture of the Language
- Interpersonal skills
- Ability to integrate and apply knowledge
BA Kannada: What is it About?
Kannada is an Indian language predominantly spoken by people living in the state of Karnataka. It is one of the world's top 30 spoken languages.
Additionally, the language is spoken primarily by Kannada people in India spread in the State of Karnataka, besides linguistic minorities in the States of Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Kerala, Goa, and abroad.
B.A in Kannada is a three-year course which deals with the contemporary and grammatical knowledge of the most ancient language across the globe.
The course will be very much subjective and passive in nature when it comes to the syllabus formed and amendment across the nation.
Why Study BA Kannada?
- Since the regional languages are also slowly gaining their footing in the present times, the need for trained regional language experts is growing and Students who apply for this degree/course will be able to hone their language skills and prepare themselves for the various job opportunities such as that will be introduced to them after graduation.
- B.A. Kannada is one of the steadily evolving undergraduate courses, and the number of students attending the course is increasingly growing.
- Students pursuing a B.A. in Kannada will be covering the following areas:
- Learning the language efficiently.
- Understanding the cultural history of the language
- Studying the literature of ancient, medieval, and modern Kannada.
- Observing linguistics methods to become translators and interpreters.
BA Kannada: Top Colleges
Some of the top B.A. in Kannada colleges are given below:
|Name of the Institute||Average Annual Fee|
|Karnataka State Open University||INR 3,500|
|JSS College of Arts Science and Commerce||INR 8,300|
|Smt. Chinnamma Basappa Patil Arts, Science and Commerce Degree College||INR 2,300|
|BR Tambakad Arts, Commerce and Science First Grade College||INR 4,000|
|BMS College for Women||INR 7,500|
|BESM Arts and Commerce College||INR 700|
|Anjuman Arts and Commerce College||INR 800|
BA Kannada: College Comparison
|Parameters||JSS College of Arts Science and Commerce||Karnataka State Open University|
|Objective||Founded in 1964, JSSCACS, Mysore offers 67 courses across 12 streams, including Commerce and Banking, Research, Management, Arts, IT, Engineering, Agriculture, Hotel Management across 12 degrees.||Karnataka State Open University is a State Public University founded on 1 June 1996. The University offers courses such as M.A., M.Com, B.A., B.Com, M.sc, etc. in various disciplines.|
|Average Annual Fee||INR 8,300||INR 3,500|
|Average Annual Package||INR 2.4 LPA||INR 3 LPA|
BA Kannada: Course Comparison
B.A. (Hons.) Vs. B.A. in Kannada:
|Parameters||B.A. (Hons.)||B.A. in kannada|
|Duration||3 years||3 years|
|Focus Area||The course teaches students about analytical abilities, verbal skills, and science. Specialization is not possible since the emphasis is on a wide range of topics.||Students learn to analyze problems and come up with new ideas. The course is designed to help students gain the knowledge and skills they need to conduct research on a particular topic.|
|Admission Criteria||Merit-Based or Direct||Merit-Based or Direct|
|Eligibility Criteria||10+2 or equivalent||10+2 or equivalent|
|Average Course Fees||Rs. 4,000 - 65,000||Rs. 10,000 to 4 Lacs|
|Job Options||Content Writer, Air Hostess/Flight Steward, translator, Journalist||Translator, Interpreter, News Anchor, Journalist, Freelancer, Teacher, Tourism|
|Areas of Employment||Consultancies, Fire Department, Export Companies, Educational Institutes, Economic Development, Foreign Affairs, Field Research Firms||Consultancies, Fire Department, Export Companies, Economic Development, Educational Institutes, Foreign Affairs, Field Research Firms|
|Average Placement Package||INR 2,75,000 to INR 5,00,000/- per annum||INR 3,00,000 to INR 10,00,000/- per annum|
BA Kannada: Job and Career Prospects
B.A Kannada course as a language makes a way to the prosperous career option that one can choose according to their interest. Based on the interest of the candidate, job openings can be found in:
- Local government, civil service, art schools, NHS and social services.
- Work in which written communication, such as advertisement, journalism, publication and public relations, plays a major role
- Heritage and Museums
- Legal work
- Business, Banking, Retail, Hospitality and Travel sectors
BA Kannada: Job Profiles
Some of the most common job profiles that a B.A in Kannada student can opt for along with job description and salary package are mentioned in the table below.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Translator||Translators transform written materials into another language from one language. A translator's purpose is to make individuals interpret the translation as though it were the original written content.||INR 4,03,759|
|Interpreter||Interpreters translate verbal contact from one language to another and function as a medium in which barriers to language exist. Interpreters are often called upon to translate written communication from one language to another. In education, health care, insurance, legal and other fields, interpreters operate.||INR 4,84,127|
|News Anchor||News Anchor works to collect data, broadcast news and interview guests with the News Reporters. They discuss news stories, national and international current affairs in an informative and impartial way to the audience.||INR 4,06,832|
|Journalist||Journalists write and compile news stories that would cater to their target audience. They keep their viewers aware of developments in their world by collecting a variety of different sources and ensuring that all the points are reflected.||INR 3,70,608|
|Freelancer||The duties of the freelancer include: formulating tasks in compliance with the prescribed requirements. Editing activities to ensure they are detailed and well-presented. Liaising with the line manager, as needed, to explain task-related expectations.||INR 2,68,669|
|Content Writer||A content writer's role is to develop print and digital content for businesses that offers information or highlights their goods or services.||INR 2,88,993|
|Teacher||The responsibilities of a teacher include: delivering lessons in a thorough way and using visual/audio means to promote learning. Providing each student with individualised instruction through the promotion of interactive learning.||INR 3,05,471|
Salary Graph Trend
BA Kannada: Future Scopes
After the completion of B.A in Kannada, 3 years degree course students can either go for M.A. Candidates can further go for M. Phil and Ph. D in Kannada and can take up lectureship as their profession.
They can also go for a B.Ed and M.Ed course if they want to teach in schools.
Graduates in BA in Kannada can choose from a number of career paths like, Translator, Journalist, News Anchor, and Accountant are some of the most common choices.
BA Kannada: FAQs
Ques: What are the job sectors for which professionals may opt post-graduations?
- Call Centers
- Financial Consultant
- HR Solutions
- Equity Dealer
Ques: Is there any special consideration for B.A. Kannada admissions?
Ques: What is the list of documents required for B.A in Kannada admissions?
- Class X or XII mark sheets and pass certificate.
- Proof of date of birth.
- School leaving certificate
- Transfer certificate
- Domicile certificate/ residential proof or certificate
- Provisional certificate
- Character certificate
- Scheduled Caste/ Scheduled Tribe/Other Backward Caste certificates
- Proof of disability (if any)
- Migration Certificate
Ques: Is BA a good degree to pursue?
Ques: What is the scope of Bachelor of Arts?
Ques: Can I do Ph.D after B.A in Kannada?
Ques: Can I get a job in a bank after B.A in Kannada?
Ques: Does a B.A student get a job at Google?
Ques: What are the higher study options after B.A in Kannada?
- Further higher degrees such as Master's degree in Kannada and can further go for M.Phil and Ph.D in Kannada.
- If they would like to teach this language in schools, then they can go for a Bachelor of Education course and Master of Education course.
- Even candidates can go for mass communication and journalism courses as their higher studies option.
Ques: In which fields do translators work?
- publishing and journalism