What is BA Malayalam?
BA Malayalam is a 3-year duration non-technical undergraduate language course that actually focuses on the core principles of Malayalam language, its origin, culture, history and more. It’s the main language of Southern India, so it is high in demand.
The aspiring candidates completed their 10+2 level in any stream from any recognized educational board with 50% marks are eligible for this course. For SC/ST/OBC candidates, the qualifying score is 45%. Apart from this the candidates should have the basic proficiency in Malayali.
Most of the colleges in India offer BA Malayalam courses, grants direct admission. The course fee may differ from one college to another. Although the average course fee charged by the top-most colleges' ranges between INR 2,000 - INR 5,00,000.
Some of the top Indian Colleges offering BA Malayalam course are listed below:
|Name of the College||Admission Process||Average Fees||Average Annual Salary|
|Presidency College, Chennai||Merit Based||INR 1,245||INR 3,65,000|
|Government Victoria College, Palakkad||Entrance Based||INR 4,500||INR 6,00,000|
|University of Calicut, Calicut||Merit Based||INR 1,127||INR 4,51,000|
|Christian College, Chengannur||Merit Based||INR 7,050||INR 3,00,000-8,00,000|
|Assumption College, Kottayam||Entrance Based||INR 2,922||INR 4,30,000|
On completion of this course, the graduates can have plenty of career opportunities in various fields, like- Educational Institutes, Business firms, private organizations, TV channels, media houses, advertising agencies, printing companies, translation service, hotel industry, tours and travel industry and much more. The degree holders can have potential job positions in various sectors, like- Teacher, Assistant Professor- Malayalam Journalism, Translator & Interpreter, Sales Coordinator, Personnel Manager, Political Scientist, Customer Service Operator, Relation Executive, Tourist Guide, Tele-caller executive, Economist, Sociologist and more.
They can also work as a freelancing content writer, content editor, interpreter, translator for any news channel, printing company or publishing houses. The salary of a BA Malayalam graduate depends on their job positions and expertise. However, the candidates can easily earn up to INR 4,00,000- INR 10,00,000 per year.
Know more: Top BA Malayalam Colleges
What is the BA Malayalam Admission Process?
The BA Malayalam Language course admission procedure may vary for different colleges/universities.
- Most of the Indian institutes offering this course grant direct admission to the eligible candidates on the basis of merit, performance at the 10+2 level.
- However, some institutes may conduct their own entrance test for selecting the eligible candidates for this course.
- The candidates can apply to this course both online and offline modes.
- Candidates can collect the application form from the college premises or can apply online from college’s official website.
How to Apply for BA Malayalam?
Some colleges offering BA Malayalam conduct their own entrance test but majority of the colleges grant admission on merit basis. So, appearing for the entrance exam the candidates need to follow the below-mentioned criteria-
- Visit the official website of the college and register there for the entrance test. Along with your personal details, make a registration first. It will generate a new user id and password.
- After successful login, must fill the application form carefully with all required details. Upload the necessary documentation mentioned on the website.
- Submit the duly-filled application form with the requisite application fee and keep a print out for future references.
What is Eligibility Criteria for BA Malayalam?
The candidates who are willing to pursue Bachelor’s degree in Malayalam Language course need to fulfill the following eligibility criteria:
- The aspiring candidates need to complete the 10+2 level in any stream from any recognized educational board.
- Must secure minimum 50% aggregate marks at 10+2 standard. There is 5% relaxation available on the aggregate score for the SC/ST/OBC candidates.
- Candidates should have the basic proficiency in Malayali.
How to Prepare for BA Malayalam Entrance Exams?
While preparing for BA Malayalam entrance test, the candidates need to follow the below-mentioned tips:
- The syllabus and pattern of the entrance test may differ from one college to another. So, before starting the preparation, the candidates must have a clear understanding on the subjects, syllabus, exam pattern, topics, question pattern and more.
- Try to develop your reading habit. To crack the entrance test, the candidates should read different Malayali Poetry, Novels, Journals, books and more.
- Time management is very essential to crack any entrance test. Schedule your study time and prepare a time table for regular revision and mock tests.
- Start practicing sample papers, previous years’ question set, mock test papers to improve your skills and knowledge.
- Always remember to ensure that you have clear-concept and try to follow the right ways to solve any question within the time frame.
How to Get Admission in Top BA Malayalam Colleges?
To get admission in the top BA Malayalam Colleges in India, the interested candidates need to keep in mind the following points:
- Most of the colleges shortlisted the eligible candidates on the basis of their score obtained at the 10+2 level. The college admission authority published a merit list according to the candidate’s score. After that, the candidates need to go through a counseling round to secure their admission to the respective colleges.
- Few colleges conduct their own entrance test to find out the most eligible candidates.
- So, try to narrow down the colleges offering BA Malayalam courses according to their eligibility criteria, candidate selection criteria, application process and average annual course fee etc.
- Start applying to your preferable colleges within the deadline. Prepare yourself for the entrance examination and counseling round.
BA Malayalam: What is it About?
BA Malayalam is an undergraduate language course that imparts in-depth knowledge on Malayalam language, its origin, history, cultural development and more.
- The basic aim of this course is to teach the interested candidates on the actual usages of common nouns, verbs for developing effective communication in Malayalam, its verbal structure, Malayali poetry and more.
- The course is specially designed for the candidates who can easily speak as well as understand, read and write Malayalam language.
- During this course study, the students can learn about Malayalam drama, poetry, literary criticism, fiction and more.
- The course is perfect for those students who are interested to impose superior knowledge on Malayalam language, its culture, qualities and more.
BA Malayalam Course Highlights
Highlights for BA Malayalam are mentioned in the following table:
|Eligibility Criteria||10+2 level from any recognized board of education with 50% aggregate score|
|Admission Procedure||Direct Admission/ Entrance Exam Based|
|Examination Type||Semester system|
|Recruiting Areas||Educational Institutes, News Agencies, Advertising Agencies, Private Organizations, TV Channels, Tours & Tourism, Printing Companies, Journals, Translation service etc.|
|Job Profile||Teacher, Consultant, Relation Executive, Customer Service Associate, Personnel Manager, Political Scientist, Economist, Sociologist, Sales Coordinator, Interpreter, Data Entry Operator, Tele-caller Executive, Content Writer, Assistant Professor- Malayalam Journalism, Part Time Trainer- Malayalam etc.|
|Average Course Fees||INR 2,000 - INR 5,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 4,00,000 – INR 10,00,000|
Why Study BA Malayalam?
Malayalam language has high demand in the Southern part of the country as it is the main language in this region. Students with a BA Malayalam degree can have a better career as well as job opportunities.
- Students holding the graduation degree in Malayalam language study may find prospective job opportunities in various fields, like- Academic institutions, International organization, publishing houses, TV channels, advertising & media industry, news and journalism, tours and travel, hotel industry and more.
- There are many different positions available for this degree holders, like- Teacher, Assistant Professor- Malayalam journalism, Sales Coordinator, Relation Executive, Sociologist, Economist, Customer Care operator, Tele-caller executive, Data entry operator, tour guide, Malayalam language trainer and more.
- They can also work as translator, interpreter in several International organizations, foreign language organizations, translation bureaus, research organizations and more.
- Depending upon their positions and expertise in the field, they can easily earn INR 4,00,000 to INR 10,00,000 per year.
Course Comparison: BA Malayalam vs BA Tamil
The below-mentioned table offers the course comparison between BA Malayalam Literature and BA Tamil Literature course.
|Parameter||B.A. Malayalam||B.A. Tamil|
|Overview||This course offers advanced study on Malayalam language, its origin, history, culture, literature etc.||The course imparts in-depth knowledge on Tamil language, its diverse variety, literature, culture and more.|
|Duration||3 Years||3 Years|
|Eligibility Criteria||10+2 level in any stream from any recognized board of education.||10+2 level from any recognized educational board.|
|Admission Procedure||Direct Admission/ Entrance Based||Direct Admission/ Entrance Based|
|Top Colleges||Madras Christian College, University of Calicut, Bharata Mata College, Baselius College, Bishop Kurialacherry College for Women, Christ College Irinjalakuda etc.||Annai Fathima College of Arts and Science, APC Mahalaxmi College for Women, Bharath Women's College, Chikkaiah Naicker College, Karpagam Academy of Higher Education, Dr. RK Shanmugam College of Arts and Science etc.|
|Job Roles||Teacher, Personnel manager, sales coordinator, Relation Executive, Customer Care Operator, Tele-caller, Interpreter and more.||Tamil Teacher, Tamil Linguist, multimedia reporter, Tamil Translator and Interpreter etc.|
|Top Recruiting Fields||Educational Institutes, News channel, media house, publishing companies, private organizations, hotel industry, tours and tourism sectors, printing companies, translation services, advertising companies etc.||Educational Institutes, Business houses, Law Firms, Financial organizations, News Media, Publishing houses, Political Organization, Tourism, export companies, foreign affairs etc.|
|Average Fees||INR 2,000-INR 5,00,000||INR 2,000-8,000|
|Average Salary||INR 4,00,000-INR 10,00,000||INR 2,00,000-INR 5,00,000|
Check out Top B.A. Tamil Colleges in India
BA Malayalam Top Colleges
Here is a list of top colleges offering BA Malayalam in India:
|Name of the College||City||Average Course Fees||Average Annual Salary|
|Presidency College||Chennai||INR 1,245||INR 3,65,000|
|Madras Christian College||Chennai||INR 18,719||INR 2,31,200|
|University of Calicut||Calicut||INR 1,127||INR 4,51,000|
|Assumption College||Kottayam||INR 2,922||INR 4,30,000|
|Bishop Moore College||Mavelikara||INR 3,005||INR 6,50,000|
|CMS College||Kottayam||INR 4,840||INR 7,30,000|
|Christian College||Chengannur||INR 7,050||INR 3,00,000-8,00,000|
|Bharata Mata College||Kochi||INR 15,000||INR 3,60,000|
|Government Victoria College||Palakkad||INR 4,500||INR 6,00,000|
|Baselius College||Kottayam||INR 18,000||INR 4,00,000|
|Christ College Irinjalakuda||Thrissur||INR 2,730||INR 4,80,000|
|Devaswom Board College||Kottayam||INR 18,000||INR 7,83,600|
|Fatima Mata National College||Kollam||INR 18,000||INR 5,56,000|
|Co-operative Arts & Science College||Kannur||INR 1,575||INR 5,00,000|
|Government Brennen College||Thalassery||INR 4,808||INR 5,77,000|
|Ettumanoorappan College||Kottayam||INR 18,000||INR 5,50,000|
|Bishop Kurialacherry College for Women||Kottayam||INR 1,314||INR 6,00,000|
BA Malayalam College Comparison
We have picked the best colleges offering BA Malayalam and compared on different parameters:
|Parameters||Presidency College, Chennai||CU, Calicut||Christian College, Chengannur|
|Overview||It is one of the oldest colleges affiliated to the University of Madras. The college offers B.A., B.Com., B.Sc., M.A., M.Com., M.Phil, MCA, MSW, Ph.D. in various disciplines.||It is the largest affiliating university in the state of Kerala. The university offers UG, PG and Ph.D. Courses in various disciplines.||The college is affiliated to the University of Kerala and famous for offering Undergraduate and postgraduate degree courses in Science, Arts and Commerce streams.|
|Eligibility Criteria||10+2 level from any recognized board of education||Passed HSE or any other equivalent examination from a recognized educational board.||Passed 10+2 level or any other qualifying examination from recognized educational board|
|Admission Process||Merit Based||Merit Based||Merit Based|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 1,245||INR 1,127||INR 7,050|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 3,65,000||INR 4,51,000||INR 3,00,000-8,00,000|
BA Malayalam Syllabus
The syllabus for BA Malayalam language course may differ from college to college, but the subjects and the course structure may remain the same for the entire three-year course duration. The following table consists of the semester-wise breakup of this course syllabus:
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Foundation Course – Language-1 (optional)||Foundation Course – Language-2 (optional)|
|Foundation Course- English 1||Foundation Course- English 2|
|Early Modern Poetry||Modern Poetry|
|Cultural History of Ancient Kerala||Cultural History of Modern Kerala|
|Optional A) Writings for Print Media B) Functional Malayalam||Optional A) Writings for Visual Media B) Comparative Literature|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Foundation Course – Language-3 (optional)||Foundation Course – Language-4 (optional)|
|Foundation Course- English 3||Foundation Course- English|
|History of Ancient Malayalam Literature||History of Modern Malayalam Literature|
|Fiction||Introduction to Malayalam Software|
|Optionals: Sanskrit Visual and Performing Arts||Optionals: General Linguistics ScreenPlay and Film Studies|
|Semester 5||Semester 6|
|Prosody and Poetics||Malayalam Grammar|
|Literary Theories||Literary Criticism|
|Ancient and Medieval Literature||General Prose|
|Special Paper (Optional): Folkloristic Feminist Literary Theory and Criticism||Special Paper (Optional): Introduction to Cultural Studies Eco Aesthetics|
BA Malayalam Important Books
Listed below the most recommended books for BA Malayalam language study course:
|Name of the Book||Author|
|Studies on Malayalam Language||T.B. Venugopala Panicker|
|An Intensive Course in Malayalam||B. Shyamala Kumari|
|Western Influence on Malayalam Language and Literature||K.M. George|
|History of Malayalam Language||K.M. Prabhakara Variar|
BA Malayalam Job Profiles
On completion of BA Malayalam study successfully, the graduates will have potential career opportunities, satisfactory job roles in different sectors, such as- Educational Institutes, Private Organizations, News Agencies, Photography Companies, Printing Companies, Advertising Agencies, TV Channels and more.
Some of the most popular career opportunities available for successful graduates are listed below along with the job description and average annual salary package:
|Job Role||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Teacher||Their responsibility is to teach and guide the students and make proper lesson plans for conveying effective learning. Besides these, they also keep an eye on the student’s progress and prepare them for tests.||INR 3,01,462|
|Professor||Their role is to teach the students at university level. They convey advanced knowledge, scholarly articles to the students and perform effective research works on the field of study to make further improvement.||INR 9,13,657|
|Political Scientist||They make thorough research on different political ideas and try to assess government, agreements, political patterns, policies and other related issues.||INR 3,20,333|
|Content Editor||A content editor is responsible for making proper investigation, assessment, improvement, outline, creation of the written materials. Their main job is to develop quality written materials.||INR 3,72,593|
BA Malayalam Future Scope
After completing this course successfully, the graduates are immediately hired in high-profile job roles. They can easily join as an Assistant Professor or Malayalam Teacher in any educational institute/ college/university. Students who want to pursue further higher education in the field of study can opt for the following degree courses:
Postgraduation: If a student wishes to pursue higher education in the same field, then he/she can opt for MA in Malayalam course. It is a 2-year post-graduation course on Malayalam language and literature study and the minimum eligibility criteria include having a Bachelor’s degree in any discipline from any recognized university.
Check out Top MA Malayalam colleges in India
Competitive Exams: After completing the graduation course, the students can appear in different competitive examinations, like UPSC, IFS for getting potential job roles in various government sectors.
BA Malayalam FAQs
Ques. What is BA Malayalam?
Ques. What is the duration of this course?
Ques. What is the eligibility criteria for this course?
Ques. Is there any entrance test required for this course admission?
Ques. What is the average course fee applicable for this program?
Ques. Which are the top Indian colleges offering this course?
- Presidency College, Chennai
- University of Calicut, Calicut
- Baselius College, Kottayam
- Government Victoria College, Palakkad
- Bishop Moore College, Mavelikara etc.
Ques. What should I do after completing B.A. in Malayalam?
Ques. What are the job positions available for B.A. Malayalam Graduates?