BDS Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery is a 5-year duration (4 Years for Academic Education + 1 Year for Internship) undergraduate degree course. In this course, students are trained to recognize and treat a broad range of disorders, disabilities, and injuries in the oral and maxillofacial areas of the brain, spine, ears, jaws, and hard and soft tissues.
The minimum eligibility criteria required for pursuing this course is Class 12 passed in Science stream from a recognized board with minimum 50% marks or equivalent CGPA.
See More: Dental Exams 2021-22
Admission to BDS Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery is offered on the basis of the score obtained by a candidate in an entrance exam. Only qualified students can appear for a group discussion and a personal interview round.
See More: PhD Course
The key purpose of the initiative is to equip qualifying applicants with procedures used in the diagnosis, surgical care, and control of face and jaw diseases and disorders. They also perform extractions, dental implant insertion, and prescribe dental anesthesia.
BDS Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery: Course Highlights
|Duration||5 Years (4 Years for Academic Education + 1 Year for Internship)|
|Basic Eligibility Criteria||10+2 in the Science stream|
|Admission Procedure||Based On Entrance Exam|
|Major Entrance Exam||AICET, NEET, MU OET, DUMET, COMEDK, MAIDS Entrance Exam, etc.|
|Average Salary||INR 4,00,000-6,00,000|
|Employment sector||Private Clinics, Educational Institutions, Dental Clinics, Hospitals, Dental Products Manufactures, Pharmaceutical Companies etc.|
BDS Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery: Admission Process
NEET, which is required for admission to mainly public universities, is the most common medical entrance examination in the country. Private universities also administer their own tests or depend on entrance assessments at the national/state level. The guidance for applying for entry based on the entrance exam is as follows.
- Registration: Registration dates are declared by the institute days before. With simple information such as email ID, phone number, etc., an account needs to be established.
- Fill in details: Fill out the application form carefully with all the appropriate details. To ensure all data are reliable and correct, caution must be taken.
- Submit documents: Scan and upload all documentation needed, such as mark sheets. Documents must be submitted in a particular format only, as defined by the application portal of the Institute.
- Application fee: After the processing of the application form, a minimum application fee is charged online. Payment can be made across all forms of online payment.
- Download admit card: Admit cards are issued after the fitness of all candidates is determined. The admission card must be downloaded for use on the day of the test and printed out.
- Examination: As per the syllabus and previous documents, prepare for the test. For the test, appear on the date announced.
- Result: If you have crossed the cutoff marks you are eligible for the counseling process for allotment of college.
- Counseling and admission: For students who have cleared the entry tests, counseling is held. The patient will now be accepted to the BDS Course in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
BDS Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery: Eligibility Criteria
Candidates opt to pursue the course are needed to fulfill the minimum eligibility criteria listed below in order to apply for the course:
- Candidates must have passed Class 12 or equivalent from a recognized board with an aggregate of at least 50% marks.
- Candidates must have studied Physics, Chemistry and Biology as compulsory subjects in Class 12.
Popular BDS Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery: Entrance Exams
Admission to BDS Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery program is generally done based on the candidate's performance in the national level entrance exam like NEET.
- NEET: NEET is a national level entrance exam conducted every year for admission into various undergraduate and postgraduate programs offered by the most prestigious medical institutes of India. This entrance-test is conducted by the National Testing Agency
|Entrance Exam||Application Period||Exam Date||Entrance Mode|
|NEET 2021||First Week of March - Last Week of March, 2021||First/ Second Week of July, 2021||Online|
How to prepare for BDS Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery entrance examinations?
The basic preparation tips to score better in entrance exams are.
- Prepare a timetable for studying. Include each topic in every subject and follow the timetable strictly. This will ensure the entire syllabus is covered at least once. Allocate time daily to studies.
- Clear up the basics. A strong understanding of the basics will be useful.
- Practice, practice, practice. Engineering entrance examinations are all about practice. Take mocks and attempt as many as sample papers as possible.
- Allocate time separately for the more difficult topics. If needed, approach a teacher or a tutor to help go over the topics again.
- Many toppers recommend depending on the NCERT books of the 10+2 levels to clear your basics and then go for the books studied at the Bachelor’s degree level. One must be thoroughly clear with the school books before purchasing more books.
How to get admission in a good BDS Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery college?
To secure admission into a top-ranked BDS college, a number of factors given below come into play.
- The admission based on entrance exam, it is very important to perform well and secure a decent rank in the entrance exam in order to get admission in a good college.
- One must be well aware of the latest exam pattern. One must also know the weightage assigned to each section in the exam and prepare accordingly.
- Do keep your target institute in mind.
- Be aware of all dates and deadlines. Examination application dates, exam dates etc. are changed and advertised in all major newspapers. It is important to keep track of any such news.
BDS Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery: Syllabus
A list of topics taught to the students pursuing BDS Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery is tabulated below:
|Year I||Year 2|
|General Anatomy||Dental Materials|
|Embryology and Histology||General Pathology and Microbiology|
|General Human Physiology||General Pharmacology and Therapeutics|
|Dental Anatomy and Embryology||Pre-Clinical Prosthodontics and Crown and Bridge|
|Oral Histology||Preclinical Conservative Dentistry|
|General Biochemistry||Dental Pharmacology and Therapeutics|
|Year 3||Year 4|
|Oral Pathology||Oral Medicine|
|General Medicine||Pediatric and Preventive Dentistry|
|General Surgery||Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery|
|-||Prosthodontics and Crown and Bridge|
|-||Public Health Dentistry|
|-||Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics|
|-||Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics|
BDS Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery: Top Colleges
The table below shows the best BDS Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery program colleges and Institutions that offers the course in Full time mode :
|Name Of Institute/ University||Average Annual Fees|
|MAIDS, New Delhi||INR 15,000|
|KM Shah Dental College And Hospital, Vadodara||INR 3,75,000|
|JSS Dental College and Hospital, Mysore||INR 5,18,000|
|MCODS, Mangalore||INR 12,10,000|
|SDM College of Dental Sciences and Hospitals, Hubli||INR 1,72,000|
|Government Dental College & Hospital, Mumbai||INR 48,400|
|KGMU, Lucknow||INR 39,067|
|Kalka Dental College, Meerut||INR 3,75,000|
|Sibar Institute of Dental Sciences, Guntur||INR 18,000|
|ACDS, Telangana||INR 2,64,500|
Check out top MDS Colleges in India.
BDS Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery: College Comparison
The tabulation below depicts the comparison made between top two BDS Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Colleges in India:
|Parameters||MAIDS, New Delhi||KM Shah Dental College and Hospital, Vadodara|
|Overview||MAIDS, New Delhi is the first medical college to achieve the FICCI excellence award. This is a prestigious institute which offers a large number of medical courses at the undergraduate and the postgraduate level.||KM Shah Dental College and Hospital is a prestigious medical institute in Vadodara, Gujarat which offers a large number of medical courses at various levels.|
|NIRF Ranking 2020||1||__|
|Average Fees||INR 15,000||INR 3,75,000|
|Average Salary||INR 6,35,000||INR 5,45,000|
BDS Vs MBBS: Course Comparison
Both BDS and MBBS are bachelor courses in the field of Medical Sciences However, they are quite different.
The comparison between BDS and MBBS is as follows:
|Course Duration||5.5 Years [Including 1-year internship]||5 Years [Including 1-year Internship]|
|Degree||Bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery MBBS||Bachelor of Dental Surgery BDS|
|Eligibility||Must have completed Class 12th, Mandatory subjects in 12th are Biology, Physics, and Chemistry, Must have scored at least 50% in PCM, Age should not be less than 17 years||Must have completed Class 12th, Mandatory subjects in 12th are Biology, Physics, and Chemistry, Must have scored at least 50% in PCM, Age should not be less than 17 years|
|Average Annual Fees||Government College: 11,000-7,50,000
Private College: 20,00,000-80,00,000
|Career Options||Government or private Hospital, Go for higher studies MD or MS, Setup your own clinic and start the private practice||Government or private Hospital, Go for higher studies MDS, Setup your own clinic and start the private practice|
BDS in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery: Future Scopes
- MDS - A large number of BDS degree holders prefer opting for MDS courses in relative discipline. Admissions are offered through a national level entrance test.
- Pharmacovigilance: Pharmacovigilance is the study of prescription drugs and the prevention of their adverse effects. This is the reason that certain medicines are pulled from the market and the medical industry's safety infrastructure is retained. There is no lack of employment in this sector, as high-quality experience in pharmacovigilance helps to cope well with the industry.
- Clinical Research: As an enterprise, the determination of how effective a new drug, vaccine, medical test, or surgical procedure can be in humans is growing exponentially. India is Asia's second-biggest pharmaceutical industry. As a result, the pharmaceutical industry is outsourced to a wide variety of pharmaceutical consulting providers and is also a lucrative profession.
- Forensic Odontology: Forensic Odontology mainly includes the detection of an intruder by matching a record of their dentition (set of teeth) with a record of a bite mark left on a victim. Forensic Odontology (forensic dentistry) Forensic dentists have now been a very important part of the missing person investigation, emergency relief, and criminal resolution and justice.
- Oral Biology & Sciences: This is a perfect chance for you to extend your range of specialization to the fullest degree and take advantage of the position of assistant professors or researchers at the location of your choosing. Not only can this expand the reach of the clinical experience, but it will also help you consider oral health conditions more holistically.
- Dental product Design: Dentists must deal with advanced dental devices and dental surgery instruments. Today, BDS graduates are able to leverage their skills to collaborate with the product marketing team when it comes to developing such products. Any of the dental appliances you may expect to build are Dental Patient Seats, Procedure Cabinetry, Distribution Devices, Dental Operative Lighting. Many universities overseas offer courses in instrument design and who could come up with modern quality precision instruments other than a dentist.
BDS in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery: Job Prospects
- Over the last decade, the medical industry has grown to include numerous work openings in the private sector as well.
- Many decent colleges provide options for placement in private hospitals and dental health centers. Based on the entrance exam, dentists are also working in government hospitals and other government offices.
- After completing their degree, aspiring applicants can apply for these courses, but after following MDS, some jobs are open.
Some of the most common job profiles that are provided to the postgraduates are mentioned below:
|Job||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Dental Surgeon||Oral and maxillofacial surgeons work in clinics and hospitals. They help patients manage diseases of the teeth and surrounding tissues, restructure bones to correct birth defects or repair wounds, and treat injuries and deformities in other parts of the head and neck.||INR 3,79,800|
|Professor||Their job is to teach a required number of graduate classes, assisting with the development of course material, participating in committees, attending conferences, regularly publishing journal articles, supervising graduate students, write proposals for scholarships,||INR 6,00,000|
|Oral Pathologist||Oral pathology (oral and maxillofacial pathology/head and neck pathology) is a specialized field of pathology that deals with diseases of the oral cavity and its associated structures (i.e. teeth, tongue, bone tissue [maxilla and mandible]; joint [temporomandibular joint]; lymph nodes; nerves; structures in the neck||INR 12,47,959|
|Public Health Specialist||The tasks of public health specialists are to determine the health status of the population, existing and potential health problems, their causes, and the health needs of the community; develop public policies and strategies to solve these problems; to monitor and evaluate the public.||INR 9,31,205|
|Dental Assistant||Receive and greet patients at the dental clinic. Prepare patients for medications, treatments, and check-ups ensuring their comfort. Select and organize equipment and tools as needed. Sterilize all tools, instruments, and materials in accordance with state regulations and instructions.||INR 2,85,600|
|Dental Hygienist||The duties of the dental hygienist revolve around conducting initial examinations of patients, cleaning teeth (eg. removing plaque) and advising patients on oral health and preventive care. It will also help dentists decide on treatments for tooth or gum disease and manage dental emergencies.||INR 3,25,000|
BDS Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery: FAQs
Ques. For taking admission in BDS in oral and Maxillofacial surgery course do I have to pass any exams?
Ans. Yes. You have to appear for NEET to take admission in any government or private college. If you want to take admission in Government college then you have to match the cutoff of previous years at least.
Ques. What Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) courses are offered by the top colleges?
Ans. Any of the top schools offering dental courses are as follows: Guru Nanak Institute of Dental Science & Research (Kolkata) and S.D.M. College of Dental Sciences & Hospital (Dharwad), Pt. Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences (Rohtak) Bhagwat Dayal Sharma, Amrita School of Nursing (Kochi) Shri. The Dental College & Hospital of Yashwantrao Chavan Memorial Medical and Rural Development Foundation. You can also visit the websites of different colleges for detailed information.
Ques. What is the average BDS course fee?
Ans. The average fee for a Bachelor of Dental Surgery is INR 8,00,000 per year
Ques. What is the course duration of Bachelor of Dental Surgery?
Ans. This is a 5 year degree program consisting of one year of internship in last year it is a paid internship which is mandatory for all students.