Bachelor of Dental Surgery is a 4-year graduation programme or science course to become a dental surgeon.The course duration can be extended up to 5 years, in case a student applies for an internship. BDS prioritizes dental hygiene and health. The programme covers various aspects of problems, hygiene, surgery, and more related to dental health. BDS is the most populous medical course that comes after MBBS.
Bachelor of Dental Surgery is the only professional course of dental surgery in India. The degree is under regulation by the Dental Council of India. Students who want to practise need to get themselves registered under the council.
Regarding the eligibility criteria, one must have passed the 10+2 qualifying exam or an equivalent degree with a minimum of 50% aggregate from a recognised institute. The concerned student must have studied Physics, Chemistry, and Biology compulsorily in their 10+2.
BDS seats in India have increased to 26,773 in 313 colleges and 23,260 in private colleges or universities and are deemed to be universities that can be availed by the students by qualifying for the NEET exam.
A student needs to get more than 480 marks to get a government seat and needs to qualify NEET in order to get a private college for doing BDS.
Bachelor of Dental Science (BDS) Orthodontics course includes a large number of important topics and the subjects included are Human anatomy and physiology, Biochemistry, Dental material, Prosthodontics, Microbiology, Embryology and histology, General dental pharmacology and pathology, Periodontics, Pedodontics, and Orthodontics and dentistry.
Subjects and topics in detail can change and vary from college to college. Some other subjects that are commonly included other than the ones listed above are nutrition, dietetics,oral histology, general medicine, dental therapeutics, etc. other than that the crux remains the same.
BDS Orthodontics: Course Highlights
|Full-form||Bachelor of Dental Surgery|
|Duration||4-year undergraduate program +(1-year internship depending on the college)|
|Eligibility||Qualified 10+2 with 50% and NEET.|
|Admission Process||Qualifying NEET followed by the individual entrance of the concerned college if any followed by counselling sessions|
|Course Fee||INR1,00,000 -10,00,000 PA|
|Average Salary||INR 40,000 - 1,00,000 PM|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Hospitals,Clinics, Research institutes, and Colleges|
|Job Positions||Ranging between government and private jobs, self- practise,opening a clinic to research, and also teaching.|
BDS Orthodontics: Admission Process
- Qualifying National Eligibility Entrance Test (NEET) will help you get admission in BDS.
- Appearing NEET has been made compulsory in order to get admitted to medical courses. Other than that the cut-off marks vary from college to college.
- Once a candidate qualifies for the exam and meets all the criteria, he/she can proceed with the documentation, counseling, and further proceedings according to the requirements.
- As per the previous year’s record, the minimum marks required for admission in bds was 147-150.
BDS Orthodontics: Eligibility Criteria
- The aspiring candidate must have passed the 10+2 qualifying exam or an equivalent degree with a minimum of 50% aggregate from a recognized institute.
- HE/SHE must have studied the subjects of Physics, Chemistry, and Biology compulsorily in their higher education.
- The student is required to qualify NEET exam or at least appear for the exam. If a student manages to qualify for the entrance i.e. 50%(for general category students) and 40%(for reserved category students), he/she needs to appear for the counseling sessions.
BDS Orthodontics: Entrance Exams
Admission to BDS courses is based on the NEET exam that is conducted on a national level.
- The national level exam NEET is the only exam that is conducted for admission to BDS courses in India.
- NEET is a national-level exam conducted for admissions to undergraduate and postgraduate medical courses like MBBS, BDS, BAMS, MD, MS, MDS, etc.
- The candidates need to register themselves on the official website and fill in their personal details followed by filling up the application form.
- The issued admit cards are sent to applicants via their mail along with other details including the date of examination.
- If the student manages to clear the cut-off for the exam they may proceed to the counselling sessions held for admissions to a college.
- BDS admissions are entirely done through NEET, followed by individual entrance examinations by colleges if there are any.
- Qualifying NEET is important to get into recognized dental colleges because it is conducted nationwide.
|Exam Name||Registration Date||Exam Date|
|NEET||4rth Week of March, 2021||1st/ 2nd Week of July, 2021|
Tips To Prepare For The Entrance Exam
- NEET, being nationally conducted, stands as one of the most difficult entrance exams to crack.
- Complete dedication and hard work can help one qualify or score well in the exam.
- Aspiring students need to have a good grip over all the three subjects namely:Physics, Chemistry, and Biology. Besides scoring well in the 10+2 exam students need to dedicatedly work towards acing the fundamentals.
- There will be 180 questions in total(45+45+90 from physics chemistry and biology) respectively. Each answer carries 4 marks.
- For every wrong answer, there will be a negative marking i.e.one mark would be deducted.
- The exam in total is 720 marks and the qualifying marks stand at 150.
- Other than working really hard, aspirants need to solve papers, questionnaires, and questions from various aspects, giving importance to the previous year's questions.
- One needs to read the NCERT books thoroughly and also work according to a particular schedule.
- Along with hard work, students need to understand the need of the hour and crack the pattern of questions and find out the importance of chapters and courses likewise from an exam point of view.
How to get admission to a good college?
In case you want to get admitted into a recognizable institution, offering a wide range of courses, work really hard to achieve it. There are several good colleges and universities that provide really good facilities. Required steps are as follows:
- The aspiring candidate must have a strong academic background, including 10+2, and should also clear the entrance exam in order to get into a good college.
- To qualify for the entrances, one must start preparing a year prior to the exam. Dedication and hard work can help you crack the entrance in a year.
- In case you qualify for the entrance exam, attend the counselling sessions that are usually held in 3 rounds. Counselling sessions provide an insight into the admission procedures and the course development along with other details.
- Before taking admission to your desired college, do enough research regarding the curriculum, additional courses, double degrees, and other such facilities that would, later on, prove beneficial for you.
- Go through the fee structure and available scholarships or fee deduction on the basis of merit and avail of the facilities if there are any!
- Lastly, have detailed and helpful research on hand regarding the placements, internships, payment, and criteria for placement.
BDS Orthodontics: What is it about?
BDS is the second most populous and only professional dental course.
- BDS is a 4-year undergraduate course in some cases 5( if there are internships), depending on the college for the students.
- It is a compulsory course for the students if they wish to work as dentists at government or private hospitals.
- BDS is the second most popular medical course after MBBS.
- Subjects like Oral Pathology, Dental Hygiene, Dental Histology, Public Health Dentistry, etc .are taught to the students during the span of 4 years of the course.
- The study of these subjects provides them with knowledge and skill to practice dentistry as their profession after completion of the course.
- After the completion of graduation, students usually practice their skills in the field of dentistry in government or private hospitals, sometimes in their own clinic, only if they have the license to do so.
- Those not willing to take up a job of the profession can further enhance their academic background by opting for MDS ( Masters of Dental Surgery).
- Completing a master's in the field or completing another degree will help students build their careers in ascending order.
- Apart from the above-listed details, BDS offers the students a variety of opportunities in terms of employment as well as higher education.
Why Study BDS Orthodontics?
There are several reasons due to which students opt for this course and take it up for higher studies and as a profession.
- Due to the increasing awareness about dental health, there has been a significant rise in people visiting dentists. In order to treat patients having dental problems, one needs to have a degree in BDS along with a license.
- Students who complete their BDS and are freshly out of the program can avail internships offered either by the college or from private sectors, which will help them earn between 15,000 INR-35,000 INR
- The initial stipend ranges between 15,000 INR-40,000 INR which increases with experience. Graduates and postgraduates also earn handsome amounts as salary.
- Students can also avail career options in foreign countries. Canada, the USA, and the UK provide really good exposure along with good salary and career options.
- It is an incredible course for students who want to go for dentistry as their career option and profession.
BDS Orthodontics: Top Colleges
|Name Of The College||Average Annual Fees|
|Maulana Azad Institute Of Dental Sciences, New Delhi||INR 25,000 - 30,000|
|Manipal College Of Dental Sciences, Manipal||INR 28,00,000(FY)|
|Dr.D.Y.Patil Vidyapeeth, Pune||INR 5,00,000(FY)|
|Saveetha Institute Of Medical And Technical Sciences, Chennai||INR 8,50,000PA|
|A.B.S.M Institute Of Medical Sciences, Mangalore||INR 5,07,000 (FY)|
|Manipal College Of Dental Sciences, Mangalore||INR 7,00,000 PA|
|Nair Hospital Dental College, Mumbai||INR 70,900 (FY)|
|King George’s Medical University, Lucknow||INR 3,00,000|
|Institute Of Medical Sciences, Varanasi||INR 1,20,000|
|Government Dental College And Hospital, Mumbai||NR 4,00,000|
|Christian Dental College, Ludhiana||INR 8,50,000|
|Pt. Bhagwat Dayal Sharma Post Graduate Institute Of Medical Courses, Rohtak||INR 2,00,000|
BDS Orthodontics: College Comparison
|Parameters||Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences||Manipal College of Dental Sciences|
|Overview||Established in the year 2003, MAIDS emerges as regional and global excellence. Ranks at number 1 under the NIRF ranking. The first medical college to have received the FICCI award for excellence.||Popularly known as the MCODS, the college was established in 1965. Established as the first private dental college, MCODS provides the best facilities and ranks number 2 in the NIRF ranking.|
|Admission Process||Qualifying NEET||Qualifying NEET along with MUOET|
|Average Fees||Inr 1-1.5 Lacs||Inr 22-26 Lacs|
|Duration||4-year+1year Internship||5year (Course+1 Year Compulsory Internship)|
|Top Recruiters||Oddolite Etc.||Government And Private Hospitals (Internships)|
|Placement And Salary||Inr 6-7 Lacs||Inr 4-8 Lacs|
BDS V/s MBBS: Course Comparison
|Degree And Level||Bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery- UG||Bachelor of Dental Surgery- UG|
|Eligibility||Must have completed 10+2 with 50% and physics, chemistry, and biology as the compulsory subjects and qualified NEET||Must have completed 10+2 with 50% and physics, chemistry, and biology as the compulsory subjects and qualified NEET|
|Fees Structure||INR 15,000-7,00,000 PA (In Govt. Institutions) INR 20 LPA-80 LPA(Private Institutions)||INR 50,000-15 LPA|
|Career Options||One can go for higher studies or degrees i.e. MS or MD. Set up your own clinic Complete post-graduation and go for teaching. Research scientist||Can go for MDS or any other higher degree. Can set up own clinic. Go for teachership. Dentist, a dental surgeon|
BDS Orthodontics: Course Syllabus
|Year 1||Year 2|
|General Human Anatomy including Embryology and Histology||General Pathology and Microbiology|
|General Human Physiology and Biochemistry, Nutrition and Dietetics||General and Dental Pharmacology and Therapeutics|
|Dental Anatomy, embryology, and Oral Histology||Preclinical Conservative Dentistry|
|Dental Material||Preclinical Prosthodontics and Crown & Bridge|
|Preclinical Prosthodontics and Crown and Bridge||Oral Pathology & Oral Microbiology|
|Year 3||Year 4|
|General Surgery||Public Health|
|Oral Pathology & Microbiology||Dentistry|
|Conservative Dentistry And Endodontics||Orthodontics|
|Oral And Maxillofacial Surgery||Oral Medicine|
|Oral Medicine And Radiology||Oral Surgery|
|Pediatric & Preventive Dentistry||Periodontics|
BDS Orthodontics: Important Books
|Phillips Science of Dental Materials 10th Edition||Kenneth J Anusavice|
|Functional Histology||Weather, Burkitt & Daniels|
|Concise Medical Physiology||Choudhari|
|Human Physiology for BDS Students||A.K.Jain|
BDS Orthodontics: Job Profiles
Several sectors including government and private ones are hiring dental graduates. BDS graduates have a wider range of job profiles ranging from teaching to practicing as dental professions.
|Job Profiles||Job Description||Average Salary|
|Dentist||A dentist is one who specializes in dentistry, the diagnosis, and treatment of diseases along with their prevention.||INR 3 Lacs|
|Researcher||Graduates who want to go for research can avail research in the advanced dental space||INR 3 Lacs|
|Lecturer||Graduates can also go for higher studies and then take teaching as their profession.||INR 7 Lacs|
|Dentist In Indian Railways||BDS graduates can also apply in the Indian Railways for the post of dentist when they have vacancies||INR 8 Lacs|
Therefore BDS graduates can have varied opportunities including jobs in government sectors, private sectors, and gulf countries.
Gulf countries have a good career for BDS graduates along with a good source of income.
BDS Orthodontics: Future Scope
There has been a significant increase in the number of people visiting a dentist. There are several aspects of being a dentist and also the government and private sectors have opened up and are increasing accommodation for bds graduates.
- Seats in dental colleges are increasing thereby opening up new scopes and increased employment of bds graduates as dentists.
- There has been a significant transfer of dentistry from urban to semi-urban areas which will be another reason behind the growing stream.
- BDS graduates are moving out of the country and in fact, earning well as packages in a foreign land is really good.
- Other than practicing dentistry students can also go for higher degrees and explore other fields such as research, teaching, cosmetology, etc.
BDS Orthodontics: FAQs
Ques: What is BDS?
Ques: Is MBBS better than BDS?
Ques: Is BDS expensive?
Ques: Is BDS easy?
Ques: Does BDS have good job prospects?