What is BEd Economics?
B.Ed. in Economics is a 2-year full-time graduate certificate-level course in education that lays further foundation for higher professional studies in Economics, communications, or law.
This course is specifically designed for students interested in pursuing a teaching career. This program provides students with knowledge on all aspects of classroom teaching.
The admission procedure may vary from one institution to another. Most institutes offer admission to the BEd Economics course based on the candidate's performance at the entrance test conducted by the respective college/university/institute, often followed by a personal interview.
And few institutes grant direct admission on the basis of merit obtained at graduation level. Applicants can pursue BEd in distance education as well as on a regular basis.
All such professionals are hired in capacities such as:
- Teacher, Economist, Econometrician.
- Public Relations Officer, Business Organization Economists.
- Macroeconomists, Monetary Economists, Political Scientists, etc.
The average school fee charged for the course in India is between INR 25.000 and 1,30,000 over a period of 3 years.
Successful graduates of the course can expect anything between INR 2,00,000 and 10,00,000 to be their annual salary in the industry, increasing with experience and skill set.
BEd Economics: Course Highlights
The following are some of the main highlights of the course:
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||Graduation from a recognized university|
|Admission Process||Merit-based/ Based on counseling after qualification of entrance test.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 25,000 to 1,30,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 2,00,000 to 10,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Media and Journalism, Publishing, Teaching & Research, Advertising & Marketing, HR/ Administration, Hospitality, Translation, Technical Writing, Content Development, Civil Services, etc.|
|Job Positions||Teacher, Economist, Econometricians, Public Relations Officer, Industrial Economists, Macroeconomists, Monetary Economists, Political Scientists, and such.|
BEd Economics: Admission Process
Admission to this course is offered either on the basis of the score obtained by a candidate in an entrance exam or on merit basis. In merit-based selection, marks obtained by a candidate in the qualifying examinations are considered for offering admission into the course. The various steps involved in the admission process are given below.
- Submit the application to the colleges and universities you are interested in for admission.
- Perform well in the Bachelor degree examinations as the scores obtained in these form the basis of the entire admission process.
- In due course of time colleges release their cutoff lists. Check if you are eligible for admission into the desired course.
- If eligible, visit the college and submit all the required documents.
Entrance based Selection
- Submit the application to the colleges and universities you are interested in for admission.
- Register for the entrance exams you will be required to qualify in order to make it the college of your choice.
- In order to be eligible for admission, one must score above the minimum qualifying score set by the respective college or university.
- In due course of time, the colleges and universities declare the result and release a merit list of finally shortlisted candidates on the basis of the score obtained in the written test.
- After the admission process, the final allotment of seats to the candidates take place and the candidate is required to deposit the course fee and register for the respective academic year.
BEd Economics: Eligibility Criteria
Before moving on to the different aspects of BEd Admission 2021, it is very important for applicants to learn about the full eligibility criteria for admission. Under the NCTE rules, the eligibility criteria for the BEd course are the same across all states, universities, and colleges. However, there may be a difference in the combination of subjects offered by these institutes in BEd.
- The candidate must have completed a bachelor's degree in BA (Bachelor of Arts)/BSc (Bachelor of Science)/or equivalent from a recognized institute. The candidate must have acquired a minimum aggregate of 50% for all subjects in the qualifying degree.
- The candidate who has completed a Bachelor's degree in Technology (BTech) with a minimum of 55% are also eligible to apply for admission.
- The candidate must be at least 19 years of age at the time of application.
BEd Economics: Entrance Exams
There are many national and state-level entrance exams to appear for the admission into the BEd Economics program.
Some of the top entrance exams conducted in order to shortlist students for admission into this course are given below.
- UP BEd JEE: UP BEd JEE is a state-level entrance exam organized by Lucknow University to offer admissions in 2 years Bachelor of Education (BEd) courses.
- DU BEd Entrance Exam: DU BEd Entrance Exam is conducted by DU itself for candidates who want to take admission in a two year course of Bachelor in Education.
The dates of application and examination for the above-mentioned examinations are mentioned in the table below.
|Entrance Exam||Application Period||Exam Date||Entrance Mode|
|UP BEd JEE 2021||February 15 - March 18, 2021||May 19, 2021||Offline|
|DU BEd Entrance Exam 2021||To be announced||To be announced||Online|
How to prepare for BEd Economics entrance exam
Scoring well in an entrance exam is not a difficult task if one is well aware of the latest exam pattern. Hence, one should go through the previous year papers and perform a proper analysis of the exam pattern. Apart from this, one should do thorough research about the full syllabus of the entrance exam. Mainly there are four sections in almost all the entrance exams.
- General English
- Basic Maths
- General Aptitude and Logical Reasoning
- General Knowledge and Current Affairs
One can go through the points given below in order to perform well in any entrance exam
- Generally, multiple-choice based questions are asked in the entrance exam. In some of the exams, negative marks are offered for every wrong answer. So, make sure you attempt only those questions which you are sure of.
- The exam pattern incorporates questions which are simple in nature. The questions are of basic 10+2 level. Hence one must focus on revising the basic concepts.
- Some entrance exams also have general knowledge and current affair questions. The questions asked under this section are about National and International Interests, Politics, Current Happening, Indian History etc.
- One must read newspapers and news articles daily to stay updated on the current affairs.
- Giving mock tests forms one of the most important parts of the whole preparation process. Once done with the syllabus, one must start taking mock tests. This helps one to get a taste of the type of questions which are usually asked in the exam. Taking around 10 to 15 mocks can help you perform really well in the entrance exam.
- On the exam day meditate for a while and stay calm and composed. Be confident about whatever you have studied.
How to get admission to a good BEd Economics college?
- The best college or university for a BEd in Economics should cleverly plan their schedule and prepare to complete the entrance exam.
- Good preparation for the entrance examination is always a plus.
- Preparation must be started after notification of completion of the application, which doubles the chances of doing well in the entrance examination.
- Both the interview and the current affairs candidate should read the newspaper on a daily basis and review current global affairs.
- Please refer to the Past Years Question Papers.
BEd Economics: Syllabus
The detailed syllabus of BEd Economics program is provided below:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Philosophical Perspective in Education||Sociological Perspective in Education|
|Understanding the Learner||Educational Policy & Planning in Contemporary India|
|Teaching-Learning Process||Knowledge and Curriculum|
|Pedagogy of a School Subject (Part I)||Pedagogy of a School Subject (Part II)|
|Exploring Library and Other Learning Resources||School Management|
|Art in Education||Enriching Learning Through ICT|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|School Internship- Subject I||Assessment for Learning|
|School Internship- Subject II||Gender, School, and Society|
|Engagement with Community (Experiences for Social and Environmental Sensitivity)||Inclusive School|
|Understanding the Self||Strengthening Language Proficiency|
|Reading and Reflecting on Texts||Health and Physics|
|Optional Courses (Any Two)||-|
|Guidance and Counseling||Life Skills Education|
|Human Rights and Value Education||Special Education|
|Environment Education||Comparative Education|
|Distance and Open Learning||Vocational Education|
BEd Economics: Top Colleges
The table below shows the best BEd Economics colleges and universities that offer the course in a full-time mode.
|Name of Institute/ University||Average Annual Fees|
|Periyar Maniammai University, Tamil Nadu||INR 1,30,000|
|Krishna Bora BEd College, Assam||INR 90,000|
|Anand College of Education, Gujarat||INR 60,500|
|Om College of Education, Tamil Nadu||INR 81,000|
|G.D. Bagaria Teachers Training College, Jharkhand||INR 1,50,000|
|Senthil College of Education, Pondicherry||INR 66,417|
|Jangaon College of Education, Telangana||INR 40,910|
BEd Economics College Comparison
The following table depicts the comparison made among the top three BEd Economics Colleges in India.
|Parameter||Annamalai University||Dhanalakshmi Srinivasan College of Education||CMS College of Education|
|Overview||Annamalai University is one of Asia's largest public residential universities located in Annamalai Nagar, Chidambaram, Tamil Nadu, India. It was founded in 1929 and spread across 1,500 acres of land. AU consists of 10 faculties, 49 departments, and provides undergraduate, postgraduate courses, diplomas, and research programs.||Dhanalakshmi Srinivasan College of Education is known for providing high-quality education in the region of Perambalur, Tamil Nadu. The College strives to impart quality education, through a stimulating and innovative environment.||CMS College of Education, Coimbatore rigorously attempts to formalize colossal educators with values perennial on an enterprising and creative carrier of technologically contemporaneous and experimentally research-oriented in the art of teaching and learning to meet the emerging needs and challenges of the Nation|
|NIRF Ranking 2020||151||-||82|
|Admission Process||Entrance based||Entrance based||Entrance based|
|Average Annual fees||INR 25,000||INR 37,500||INR 45,000|
|Average Annual salary||INR 3,00,000||INR 3,00,000||INR 3,00,000|
|Top Recruiters||TCS, Wipro, BPL Medical, GE Healthcare, Cerner Healthcare, Goldman Sachs, M&M etc.||KPO, Sutherland, Tech Mahindra, Hp, IBM, ORACLE||TCS, IBM, Cognizant etc.|
BEd Economics Vs BEd English
Both BEd Economics and BEd English are Bachelor of Education courses in different disciplines.
Also check top BEd English Colleges here.
The comparison between the above mentioned courses are as follows:
|Course||BEd in Economics||BEd in English|
|Full form||Bachelor of Education in Economics||Bachelor of Education in English|
|Duration||2 years||2 years|
|Course Overview||This course is imparted advanced lessons in education, cultural values, academic, evaluation and assessment, educational psychology, holistic education, philosophy of education||The course lays the further foundation for higher professional studies in Economics, communications, or law|
|Eligibility||Graduation with 50 percent marks from the recognized university||Graduation with 50 percent marks from the recognized university|
|Admission Process||Merit-based/ Based on counseling after qualification of entrance test.||Merit-based/ Based on counseling after qualification of entrance test.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 25,000-1,30,000||INR 17,000 – 2,50,000|
|Job Positions||Teacher, Economist, Econometricians, Public Relations Officer, Industrial Economists, Macroeconomists, Monetary Economists, Political Scientists||Primary Teacher, Associate Professor-cum-Senior scientist, Programme Assistant, Lecturer, Vocational Assistant|
|Top Recruitment Areas||Media and Journalism, Publishing, Teaching & Research, Advertising & Marketing, HR/ Administration, Hospitality, Translation, Technical Writing, Content Development, Civil Services etc.||NCERT, NUEPA, NUEPA, Educomp Solutions, Everonn Education etc.|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 2,00,000 – 10,00,000||INR 60,000 – 2,00,000|
BEd Economics: Future Scopes
Upon completion of the Bachelor of Education, candidates can become primary, secondary, and senior secondary school teachers in schools. In order to be hired as an Assistant Professor or Professor at the college/university level, candidates must appear for Teacher Eligibility Tests such as CTET, APTET, TSTET, or UGC NET.
- Candidates with a BEd degree can apply for employment at all levels of government and private schools.
- Across the government sector, such professionals may find profitable employment across banks, PSUs, and other public sector avenues.
- Apart from teaching in schools, you can also open your own coaching institutions, where you can provide schooling to students. This will only improve your teaching skills and knowledge, but it will also enable you to earn more.
- You can also work as academic content writers or academic consultants.
Some reputable recruiters are:
- Government and Private School
- National Council for Educational Research and Training (NCERT)
- National University of Education Planning and Administration (NUEPA)
- National University of Education Planning and Administration (NUEPA)
- Solutions for Educomp
- Education in Everonn
Development banks, aid agencies, financial consultants hire such professionals in areas such as:
- Accounting, Auditor, Banking and Finance, Insurance Investment.
- Marketing, Stock Broking, Media Analysis, Management, Manufacturing.
- Advertising, Communication, Actuarial, Education and Research
- Retailing, System Analysis, etc.
There are various further fields of economics. Some of the important disciplines include:
- Agriculture, Finance, Labour, Industry.
- International, Business, Banking, Environment.
- Developmental, Rural, and Econometrics.
BEd Economics: Job Prospects
Some of the popular professional avenues open to such professionals are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions:
|Job Profiles||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Professor||Professors teach students in a wide range of disciplines at the post-secondary level. They deliver scholarly articles, perform research, and instruct.||INR 2,95,493|
|Economist||Economists carried out a considerable amount of research towards collecting and analyzing relevant information. They produce forecasts of economic trends, determine the implications of their findings, and make recommendations for improving economic growth||INR 3,92,705|
|Econometrician||Econometricians analyze research projects with internal or external clients, monitor and evaluate the data collection process. They use statistical software to organize and analyze the information thus gathered, and analyze and interpret data. They prepare reports and presentations of such results, make recommendations for clients on how to use such results, and formulate policies or plans to solve economic problems or to interpret markets.||INR 4,78,705|
|Industrial Economist||Industrial Economists examine how antitrust laws, which regulate attempts by companies to restrict competition, affect markets.||INR 8,70,558|
|Macroeconomists and Monetary Economists||Macroeconomists and Monetary Economists study fiscal and monetary policies, which examine the effects of money supply and interest rates on the economy.||INR 3,60,000|
|Political Scientists||Political Scientists research the developmental and organizational aspects of political institutions, including government policies and patterns. While a Bachelor's degree may qualify some candidates for entry-level positions with government entities, nonprofit associations, political campaigns, or research organizations, the successful completion of a Master's program in Political Science or Public Administration is the usual requirement for obtaining such a position.||INR 4,66,071|
BEd Economics: FAQs
Ques. What is the duration of the course of B.Ed in Economics?
Ans. The duration of the BEd in Economics course is two years and is further divided into four semesters.
Ques. Is there any entrance examination for admission to the BEd in Economics course?
Ans. Some of the institutes are admitted to the BEd program on the basis of state-level entrance exams such as MP Pre BEd, Bihar BEd CET, etc. Applicants will have to apply for and qualify for the test. Applicants will be called upon to qualify for the counseling process. Some institutes conduct their own entrance exam to shortlist B.Ed program applicants, such as IGNOU B.Ed, Gauhati University B.Ed Entrance Test (GUBEDCET), etc.
Ques. What kind of educational qualification is required for admission to the BEd in Economics course?
Ans. The candidate must have completed a bachelor's degree in BA (Bachelor of Arts)/ BSc (Bachelor of Science) or equivalent from a recognized institute. The candidate must have acquired a minimum aggregate of 50% for all subjects in the qualifying degree. The candidate who has completed a Bachelor's degree in Technology (BTech) with a minimum of 55% are also eligible to apply for admission. The candidate must be at least 19 years of age at the time of application.
Ques. Name some of the top recruiting companies for BEd in Economics?
Ans. Some of the top recruiting companies are Media and Journalism, Publishing, Teaching & Research, Advertising & Marketing, HR/ Administration, Hospitality, Translation, Technical Writing, Content Development, Civil Services, etc.
Ques. What is the average fee for the BEd in Economics program at Indian Colleges/Universities?
Ans. The average annual fee to pursue this program ranges from INR 40,000 to 1,50,000 depending on the college/ university one is seeking admission to.
Ques. What is the admission procedure for admission to the BEd in Economics program?
Ans. Most institutes offering the course admit students based on performance in a relevant entrance test, often followed by a round of personal interviews, wherein their general aptitude for the course is tested. The admission process generally varies across colleges. A few institutes also provide direct admission based on the candidate’s performance at the level of graduation.
Ques. What's going to happen in a BEd in Economics internship?
Ans. BEd in Economics internship is the most enjoyable period of time; it only brings out an inherent teacher to you. Particularly during the day, you have to teach in allotted classes according to your lesson plans (made before the class or they’ll ask you to prepare them well at your home). Then you have to teach in the class for 35/45 minutes of duration.
Ques. What is the future scope after BEd in Economics?
Ans. After BEd you can work as Secondary school teachers, Educational Counsellors, Educational Entrepreneurs, School Administrators, Freelancers, Freelance Trainers, Instructional Designers, etc. You can go for an academic-related job at NCERT and SCERT.
Ques. Which is better, the BEd in Economics after the PG or the BEd in Economics after the UG?
Ans. In my opinion, BEd in Economics is better than the UG. I say this because a bachelor's degree is needed to meet the eligibility criteria for admission to a B.Ed course. You also need to pass your bachelor's degree with a minimum of 55% marks. You can have relaxation if you belong to a reserved category. Therefore, always check the eligibility criteria before applying to any university or college.
Ques. How many years is a BEd in Economics course after graduation?
Ans. The BEd Course from any institution approved by NCTE (National Council for Teacher Education) is a two-year program. Most universities run a 4-semester pattern while few still have an annual examination pattern. The minimum requirement for this course is the degree of graduation.