Bachelor of Education (BEd) English is a 2 to 4-year degree course that is primarily focused on training students to become teachers in schools. The Bachelor of Education degree is aimed to prepare students in their endeavour towards becoming teachers in secondary schools.
This course can be taken by aspiring students after their 10+2 graduation from any stream or any other equivalent examination from a recognized board of education. Candidates must have at least 50% for General Category candidates and 45% for Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe candidates.
For admission into most B. Ed Colleges, interested students need to pass the particular University’s Entrance exams or a national level entrance exam that is conducted throughout the country. Different entrance exams in both country-level and state-level are conducted for admissions to the course.
See more: BEd English Top Colleges
The main subjects that are studied in this course include Communication Skills, Creative Writing, Educational Psychology, English Phonology, Reading Skills, Distance and Holistic Education, Fundamentals of Education and Pedagogy. It also includes topics like Methods of Teaching English, Application of Educational Psychology, Teaching Reading Skills, Teaching Writing Skills, and Holistic Education etc.
This course has a tremendous scope in various fields of the public sector and the private sector. Graduates of this field can even choose to study further up to a higher level like MEd, and many others. After graduation, a student is also eligible for opening teaching institutions.
Some of the top recruiting bodies of BEd graduates are NCERT, NUEPA, NUEPA, Educomp Solutions, Everonn Education, BYJU’s, UDEMY, Coursera etc. They offer salary packages ranging from about INR 3 lakhs – 5 lakhs per annum
BEd English: Course Highlights
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Education (English)|
|Examination Type||Semester type|
|Eligibility||10+2 from a recognized board|
|Admission Process||Merit-based / State level, National level or University level entrance exams|
|Course Fee||INR 50,000 to 150,000|
|Average Salary||INR 60,000 to 2,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT), National University of Educational Planning and Administration (NUEPA), National University of Educational Planning and Administration (NUEPA), Educomp Solutions, Everonn Education, BYJU’s, UDEMY, Coursera|
|Job Positions||Education Researcher, Assistant Professor-cum-Junior Scientist, Content Writer, Primary Teacher, Librarian, Associate Professor-cum-Senior scientist, Program Assistant, Lecturer, Vocational Assistant, Special Education Teacher, Teacher, Administrator, Assistant Dean, Counselor.|
BEd English: Admission Process
The institutes offering Bachelor of Education programs admissions are mainly based on their performance in the entrance examination conducted by the admission authorities followed by subsequent admission rounds such as Group Discussion or Personal Interviews
- Interested candidates must check the eligibility and apply for either combined level examinations or different universities examinations.
- Students are required to crack the respective exam of a college/university in order to get admission to the course.
- After the test, a merit list of the shortlisted candidates is released online or on the University bulletin board
- Shortlisted students then need to go through the college wise admission process.
- Allotment of seats to the candidate is the final step, and after that, the candidate is required to deposit the fee for the course and enrol on the specific academic session.
BEd English: Eligibility
- Aspiring candidates must have at least 50% in Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Arts, Science, Commerce or Engineering, or.
- Candidates who have completed a teacher education program recognized by NCTE
- Individuals trained in in-service teachers in elementary schools
- Individuals who have a minimum of 2 years of experience in primary or secondary schools.
BEd English: Entrance Exams
Most of the colleges and universities offer admissions for BEd English on the basis of the entrance test and release their own cut-off. Admission for the Bed English depends on the merit-list, entrance-exam and sometimes personal interviews. Some of the entrance exams are mentioned below:
|Exam Name||Exam Date||Exam Mode|
|DU BEd||Closed||Written Test|
|IGNOU BEd||N/A||Online Exam|
|CG Pre BEd||N/A||Written Exam|
|MP Pre BEd||N/A||Written Exam|
|BHU BEd||N/A||Written Exam/ Online N/A Exam|
|VMOU BEd||N/A||Written Test|
|HPU BEd||N/A||Online Exam|
|MAH BEd CET||N/A||Online Exam|
|Guwahati University B.Ed Entrance Test (GUBEDCET)||N/A||Written Exam|
|UP BED JEE||May 19, 2021||Written Exam|
How to get Admission to Top BEd English Colleges?
- Admission into most B. Ed Colleges takes place through Entrance exams that are conducted through National level or State level Entrance Exams.
- Good thorough preparation for B. Ed exams should be done months before the date of the Entrance Test.
- Make sure to read and get proper knowledge about which college to apply to
- Check to make sure that all the eligibility requirements are met before applying.
- Submission of all the required details and paper works should be done carefully with all the correct details
BEd English: What is it About?
- A Bachelor of Education (BEd) is a graduate professional degree that prepares students for work as a teacher in schools.
- A degree in Engljsh Education is for students who are looking to work within the school system, public or private whether as a teacher, school counsellor, or school administrator.
- An education degree not only prepares the holder to teach students but also meet curriculum standards over time.
Why study BEd English?
- The present need for trained teachers is very high as a lot of schools are coming up from day today. In order to become a successful professional in the teaching field, one should have the required and minimum qualifications.
- After completing B.Ed., there are a lot of scopes to get a job in private as well as government schools with a good salary package. The salary depends upon the post held in the school. After graduating, it is also possible to open a school.
- Interested candidates can also pursue higher studies in this field. Master of Education (MEd) is the postgraduate higher specialized course that students can pursue after the completion of B.Ed. Master Graduates can also do a PhD after the completion of an MEd.
- A student undergoing this course will have an opportunity to gain skills such as Good communication skills, Confidence, Good organizational skills, Critical thinking ability, Enthusiasm, Patience, Empathy, and Quick Learning.
BEd English: Top Colleges
|IGNOU, New Delhi||INR 50,000|
|Annamalai University, Tamil Nadu||INR 90,000|
|Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi||INR 5670|
|Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, New Delhi||-|
|Tamil Nadu National Open University, Chennai||INR 50,000|
|St. Xavier’s College of Education, Patna||INR 80,000|
|Netaji Subhas Open University, Kolkata||INR 40,000|
BEd English: College Comparison
|Parameter||Lady Shri Ram College for Women||Annamalai University|
|Overview||Lady Shri Ram College for Women is one of the foremost colleges of the University of Delhi, established in the year 1956. It is ranked 5th among the colleges in Delhi in Arts and Social Sciences, Commerce and Journalism.||Annamalai University is one of Asia's largest public residential universities located in Annamalai Nagar, Chidambaram, Tamil Nadu, India. It was founded in 1929 and spread across 1,500 acres of land.|
|Ranking||4 (India Today for Arts)||151 (NIRF)|
|Location||New Delhi||Tamil Nadu|
|Admission Process||Merit||Merit, Entrance, Personal Interview|
|Average Fees||INR 76,120||N/A|
|Average Placement Salary||INR 9.4||INR 15,000|
|Top Recruiters||Bain & Co., Kepler Cannon, IDInsights, Bank of America, McKinsey, Boston Consulting Group, Indian Express, Tower Watson, Price Waterhouse Coopers||-|
BEd English: Distance Education
Generally, the BEd distance/correspondence course is of two years but that may range and candidates are given a maximum of 2 years to complete the course.
Some colleges offering the course in distance learning mode is given below:
|College Name||Average Fees|
|Lady Shri Ram College of Commerce, New Delhi||INR 60,000|
|Satyam College of Education, Noida||INR 70,000|
|Indira Gandhi National Open University, New Delhi||INR 50,000|
BEd English: Course Syllabus
Given below are the syllabus taught during the course.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Education in Contemporary India||Pedagogy I (any one of the 5 disciplinary streams)|
|Human Development, Diversity and Learning||Language|
|Conceptual Foundations of Education||Science|
|Gender, School and Society||Mathematics|
|Knowledge, Disciplines and School Subjects||Social Science|
|The Inclusive School||Commerce|
|Assessment for Learning||Pedagogy II (any one subject)|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Education and Mental Health||Art, Craft and Aesthetics|
|Art Education||Critical Understanding in Education|
|Computer and Web Technologies||Understanding Communication|
|Education and Technology||Yoga|
|Environment Education||Peace Education|
|Human Rights in Education||Adolescence Education|
BEd English: Recommended Books
|Methods and Techniques of Teaching||SK Kochhar|
|Principals and Methods of Teaching||JC Agarniai|
|The Philosophical Bases of Education||Rusk|
BEd English: Course Comparison
|Parameters||BEd English||BA English|
|Duration||4 years||3 Years|
|Course Type||Undergraduate degree||Undergraduate degree|
|Overview||BEd in English is a 2-year full-time graduate certificate-level course in education. The program imparts advanced lessons in education, cultural values, academic, evaluation and assessment, educational psychology, holistic education, philosophy of education, etc||BA English is a 3-year undergraduate course dealing with the various nuances of English as a language, both written and spoken. It is excellent preparation for careers in teaching, media, and advertising, writing, and publishing.|
|Admission Criteria||Merit-based / Entrance Based||Merit-based / Entrance based|
|Eligibility criteria||10+2 or equivalent qualification from a recognized school board.||10+2 or equivalent qualification from a recognized school board.|
|Average course fees||INR 6000 to 1 lakh per annum||INR 15,000 to 1,00,000 per annum.|
|Job Roles||School Teachers, Private Tutor, Online Tutor, Education Consultant, Principal, Vice Principal, Counsellor, Content Writer, Instructor, Education Researcher||Teaching, Journalism & mass communication, Public Relations & Advertising in Corporate Houses and Public Sector Undertakings, Language Expert & Translation Services. Marketing / Strategic Communication Positions in Corporate Houses. Media Services & Event Management.|
|Average Salary||INR 3 lakhs – 5 lakhs per annum||INR 4.49 L per annum|
BEd English: Scope
Both professional and academic options are available to students who graduate with a B.El.Ed. degree. After B.Ed., students can pursue Master of Education (M.Ed.) in any Indian university or teacher-training institutes offering the course. The National Council for Teacher Education is the statutory body regulating teacher training courses in the country of India.
There are many career options available after doing B. Ed course:
- Teacher in Upper Primary schools (Class VI-VIII)
- Teacher in Secondary Schools (class IX-XII)
- Teacher in both government and private sectors
- A B. Ed graduate can establish their own school
- A B. Ed graduate Can establish their own coaching institute
- Interested graduates go for further studies like M.ed
BEd English: Job Profiles
|Job Roles||Job Description||Average Salary|
|Teacher||Evaluating students, lecturing, assigning homework, supervising and grading exams||INR 20,000 to 40,000|
|Principal||Oversees all higher-level operations in a school.||INR 50,000-65,000|
|Private Tutor||Personally assisting a student individually or in a group with their studies||INR 300-500 (per hour)|
|Online Tutor||Tutoring students via online platforms||INR 10,000 – 20,000|
|Counsellor||A qualified individual certified in counselling people regarding mental, social or emotional issues||INR 20,000 to 40,000|
BEd English: FAQs
Ques. Is it possible to pursue a BEd (Bachelor of education) after completing 12th?
Ans. No, it is not possible to directly go for B. Ed after your 12th. The last qualification for pursuing B. Ed must be a graduation degree, so one can go for an integrated B.A - B.Ed. which will be of 4 years. Eligibility criteria for integrated BA - BEd in most of the top universities is a 10+2with 50% aggregate marks in Senior Secondary or 10+2, the rest may vary with the university one opts for.
Ques. How is a Bachelor of Elementary Education (B. El. Ed.) program different from a B.Ed. program?
Ans. El. Ed. is a four-year integrated professional degree program offered after the higher secondary stage of school. B. El. Ed. is designed to integrate the study of subject knowledge, human development, pedagogical knowledge, and communication skills. Both professional and academic options are available to students who graduate with a B. El. Ed. degree. But this course is available at few institutions, not all B. Ed institutions.
Ques. Is there any scholarship available for BEd students?
Ans. This depends from college to college. If a student is are form SC/ST category then there would be 100% fee waiver and if a student is from another category like Minority/ OBC/ Gen then he can get 25% to 30 %. For example, if the college fee is 80,000 and a student is from SC/ST category then the scholarship would be 100% refund and if the student is from other cast Minority/ OBC then he can get 25,000 to 40,000.
Ques. Is the B. Ed. course 1 year from 2020 for PG students according to the new education policy?
Ans. No, the B. Ed. course is not of 1 year from 2020 for PG students according to the new education policy. It will be for 2 years. But many colleges and universities will be offering integrated B. Ed. meaning a student can complete their bachelor degree and B. Ed. course together in 4 years.
Ques. Is it necessary to do a B. Ed. after post-graduation for teaching in a government school?
Ans. Ed. is mandatory for teaching at High School. Even with a PhD one requires a B Ed to teach in schools in India. It is mandatory. B Ed is a method of teaching. PG is not a substitute for B Ed. In addition, one needs to pass some government exams if he/she wants to teach in a government school. They also need to qualify the eligibility criteria of that exam like TET, TGT, PGT and PRT, etc. After completing these exams he will be appointed as a government teacher in a government-operated school.
Ques. What is the maximum age limit for BEd?
Ans. The eligible candidate should have completed Graduation in particularly Arts, Science and Commerce with 50% marks from a recognized University and should be within the age of 21 to 35 years to be eligible to apply for B. Ed.