BEd in Home Science is a two year long degree for the candidates who want to become teachers in the field of Home Science.
The course includes the skills required for teaching the Home Science subject like preparing lesson plans, imparting the knowledge of various aspects of Home Science using easily understandable examples, evaluating the performance of the students, etc.
Know More About Teacher Training Courses
To be eligible for the BEd Home Science course, a candidate must complete either Bachelor of Home Science or Bachelor of Science in Home Science degree from a recognized university. Most of the colleges demand for minimum 50% aggregate marks in the qualifying examination.
Admission to BEd Home Science course is mostly granted on the basis of merit. The candidates will be selected on the basis of their performance in the graduation level. The average annual fees ranges between INR 10,000 to 40,000.
After Completing BEd Home Science, the candidates can get jobs in any primary or secondary level schools as both junior and senior level teachers depending on their skills and experience. Both Government and Private school jobs are available for such candidates.
The average salary earned by these candidates ranges between INR 2,00,000 to 4,00,000. It largely depends on the skills and experience of the candidates, and also the type of institution where they are working.
BEd Home Science Course Highlights
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Education in Home Science|
|Level of Study||Graduate|
|Course Duration||2 years|
|Eligibility||Bachelor Degree in Home Science|
|Admission Process||Merit Based or Entrance Based|
|Major Entrance Exams||MAH BEd CET, UP BEd JEE, AP EDCET, etc.|
|Examination type||Semester or Yearly|
|Average Annual Fee||INR 10,000 to 40,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2,00,000 to 4,00,000|
|Job Options||School Teachers (both junior and senior level), Tuition Teachers, Private Tutors, etc.|
|Areas of Employment||Primary Schools, Secondary School, Tuition Classes, etc.|
BEd Home Science: Admission Process
For admission to BEd Home Science Course, most of the colleges will consider your 10+2 and graduation aggregate marks. The basic admission process for BEd Home Science is discussed below.
- Step 1: Application Process: The candidates will first have to apply to the colleges through the online or offline application forms. The colleges will ask for complete details of the candidates like ID proof, academic details and percentages, etc.
- Step 2: Shortlisting of the Candidates: On the basis of the information mentioned by the candidates, the colleges will shortlist the candidates.
- Step 3: Declaration of Cutoffs and Merit Lists: After shortlisting the selected candidates, the colleges will declare a cutoff percentage and merit list of shortlisted candidates. These candidates will be called for further rounds of admission like GD and PI.
- Step 4: Counselling and Document Verification: The selected candidates will be called to report physically to the college / reporting centre along with all the relevant documents. The provided documents will be verified by the officials to check the eligibility of the candidates.
- Step 5: Enrollment: The candidates found eligible during document verification will be enrolled in the BEd Home Science course.
Read More: B.Ed distance education
BEd Home Science: Eligibility Criteria
- Candidates must have successfully completed graduation (B.A./ B.Sc./ B.Com.), from a recognized university.
- A minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST candidates) at the level of graduation is required for BEd Home Science courses.
BEd Home Science: Entrance Exam
Entrance Exam for admission to BEd Home Science course is very rare, and most colleges do not conduct any entrance exam. Occasionally, some states like Maharashtra may conduct a state level written entrance test of the candidates as part of the overall admission process. The details of few of such exams is discussed below.
- MAH BEd CET: It is conducted by the Maharashtra Common Entrance Exam Cell to grant admission to all the BEd courses offered by both private and government institutions in the state. The exam is a MCQ based test conducted in online mode.
- UP BEd JEE: It is conducted by Lucknow University for granting admission to BEd courses in the state of Uttar Pradesh. It is an online exam.
- AP EDCET: Andhra Pradesh Education Common Entrance Test is a common entrance exam for admission to all the teacher training courses. It is an online exam.
The relevant dates related to these exams are tabulated below.
|Entrance Exam||Conducted By||Mode of Exam||Exam Date|
|MAH BEd CET||MHCET Board||Online||June 2021|
|UP BEd JEE||Lucknow University||Online||May 19, 2021|
|AP EDCET||APSCHE||Online||June 2021|
BEd Home Science: Tips to Clear Entrance Exams
- Candidates must know their skills and judge themself for BEd Home Science As per the assessment pattern followed.
- Get the mathematics and science better with in-depth information and daily practice on the same for the entrance exams.
- To improve the time control in the entrance test, practice passage-based questions, aptitude questions and reasoning-based questions daily.
- To complete the syllabus on time, they must split all the parts properly and learn each subject carefully to score well and get the desired college.
- Candidates must create a powerful command at regular intervals on the analysis of data and language segments with regular experience.
BEd Home Science: Tips to get the Best Colleges
The following points should be kept in mind for getting the best college offering a BEd Home Science Course.
- The cutoff for top colleges generally ranges around 70%.
- The competition for BEd Home Science seats are comparatively lesser than the other BEd courses. But if you want a seat in the top 10 colleges, you will have to score at least 80% or more in 10+2 and graduation to be on the safer side.
- Be sure that you fill all the correct details in the application forms. Any mistake will be fatal.
- Appear confident in front of the college authorities, and don't get nervous if they ask you any question.
- Try to be as fluent as you can in teaching the subjects. Sometimes, it really helps in impressing the college professors quickly.
- Keep a good knowledge of common characters in Home Science. Sometimes you may be asked to explain a few of these.
BEd Home Science: What is it All About?
- The BEd Home Science course prepares the candidates to teach all the topics of Home Science in a very student friendly manner.
- The course will discuss the overall philosophy, importance, and applications of the Home Science subject. The course will also discuss some of the important topics covered in the subject.
- The main focus of the course will be on lesson planning and the innovative ways of teaching. The course will discuss planning each lesson in detail.
- Various teaching methods like Practical Demonstration, Simulated Teaching, etc will be discussed. The students will learn to teach Home Science through these methods.
- The candidates will also learn about the various teaching aids like Props, PPT Presentation, Smart Classes, and other Audio Visual Aids to effectively teach Home Science.
- Along with teaching methods, the course will also discuss methods of evaluation in detail. The candidates will also learn about projects and practicals in Home Science.
- At the end of the course, the candidates will have to go through a compulsory live training where they will be able to gain hands-on experience on teaching the subject.
BEd Home Science: Top Colleges
|College Name||Average Annual Fees|
|Avinashilingam Institute for Home Science and Higher Education for Women||INR 25,505|
|Gujarat Vidyapeeth||INR 13,330|
|Baba Ganganath TT College||INR 19,400|
|Sant KE Chavara BEd College||INR 18,538|
|Vasavi College of Education||INR 40,000|
|Kerala University||INR 33,550|
|Idhayam College of Education||INR 41,500|
|Angels College of Education||INR 41,500|
|Girivasan College of Education||INR 37,500|
BEd Home Science: College Comparison
|Parameters||Gujarat Vidyapeeth||Avinashilingam Institute for Home Science and Higher Education for Women|
|College Overview||Gujarat Vidyapeeth was founded by Mahatma Gandhi in 1920 and has been a deemed university since 1963. It is recognised by UGC and approved by AICTE.||AIHSHEW is a woman deemed to be a University established in 1957. It offers courses in the streams of Management, Commerce, Technology, Arts, Social Sciences, Education, etc.|
|Admission Process||Entrance Based||Entrance Based|
|Average Fees||INR 13,330||INR 25,505|
|Average Salary Package||INR 3 LPA||INR 3.6 LPA|
BEd Home Science: Course Advantages
The candidates should consider studying the BEd Home Science course because of the following reasons.
- Nowadays, reputed schools do not recruit teachers without BEd degrees. So, if you wish to teach Home Science subjects in reputed schools, then you must join the BEd Home Science course.
- Teaching profession is often regarded as a relaxing profession as you work for around 6 hours in a day, and also get a considerable amount of paid holidays in a year.
- BEd Home Science course will teach you a lot of important skills of a teacher. So, it will help you become a better teacher overall.
- The BEd Home Science candidates can apply for jobs in government schools also. So, both Private and Government jobs are available for these candidates.
- The candidates can also become self employed by starting their own tuition institution and working as a private tutor.
- Nowadays, the teachers get good salary packages ranging between INR 2,00,000 to 4,00,000 per annum. They can also earn extra through tuition.
Learn More about B.Ed Job Prospects and Scope
Course Comparison: BEd Science vs BEd Home Science
The BEd Home Science and BEd Physical Science courses offer different range of possibilities to the candidates. The difference between the two courses are tabulated below.
Also Checkout, Top Colleges Offering BEd Physical Science
|Parameters||BEd Physical Science||BEd Home Science|
|Full Form||Bachelor of Education in Physical Science||Bachelor of Education in Home Science|
|Overview||BEd Physical Science involves the branches of natural science and science that studies non-living systems, in contrast to Life Sciences.||BEd Home Science teaches about philosophy, importance, and applications of the Home Science subject. The course discusses some of the important methods to teach Home Science.|
|Duration||2 years||2 years|
|Eligibility||Graduation in any one of Physics, Chemistry and Biology.||Graduation in Home Science|
|Admission Process||Merit Based or Entrance Based||Merit Based or Entrance Based|
|Examination Type||Semester or Yearly||Semester or Yearly|
|Top Colleges||Kapi College of Education, Elizabeth College of Education, CMS College of Education, etc.||Gujarat Vidyapeeth, Baba Ganganath TT College, Vasavi College of Education, etc.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 10,000 to 40,000||INR 10,000 to 40,000|
|Job Profiles||School Teachers (both junior and senior level), Tuition Teachers, Private Tutors, etc.||School Teachers (both junior and senior level), Tuition Teachers, Private Tutors, etc.|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 2,00,000 to 4,00,000||INR 2,00,000 to 4,00,000|
BEd Home Science Syllabus
|Year I||Year II|
|Nature and Importance of Home Science||Teaching Aids|
|Role of Home Science in Family and Community||Audio Visual Lesson Planning|
|Curriculum and Pedagogic Issues in Home Science||Curriculum Preparation and Presentation|
|Lesson Planning in Home Science||Laboratory Organization|
|Unit Planning in Home Science||Evaluation Process|
|Methods and Approaches in Teaching Home Science||Projects in Home Science|
|Home Science through Practical Demonstration||Home Science Text Books and Analysis|
|Simulated Teaching||Practical Training|
BEd Home Science Job Profiles
The candidates completing the BEd Home Science course predominantly work in the primary, secondary and Higher secondary level schools. Both Government and Private jobs are available for these candidates.
The major job profiles for BEd Home Science candidates are tabulated below.
|Job Profiles||Average Annual Salary|
|Primary School Teacher||INR 2,00,000|
|Secondary School Teacher||INR 3,00,000|
|Junior College Lectures||INR 4,00,000|
|Senior Secondary School Teacher||INR 6,00,000|
|Certification Course Teacher||INR 2,00,000|
|Coaching Teacher||INR 4,50,000|
BEd Home Science Future Scope
After completing the BEd Home Science course, the candidates will have the following future options available for themselves.
- If the candidates have completed their BEd after graduation, then they can do a MSc in Home Science. The Master's course will widen their area of employment and provide them better Scope in future.
- The candidates can also do an MEd course. This will help them take up research courses in the field of education in future.
- The candidates who wish to get jobs in central government schools must appear and qualify in the CTET exam.
- The candidates who wish to get jobs in state government schools should look for the Teachers Eligibility Test conducted in their states.
BEd Home Science FAQs
Ques. Is there any demand for Home Science Teachers in India, so that I can study BEd Home Science?
Ans. Home Science candidates are usually recruited to teach students from class 1 to 5. However, many schools have Home Science as compulsory subjects and those schools usually recruit these candidates for higher classes as well.
Ques. Will there be any scope for private tutors with a BEd Home Science degree?
Ans. The demand for Home Science Tutors are a little less than the other courses, however, the students who have Home Science in 11-12 will definitely need private tutors.
Ques. Are only Home Science candidates eligible for a BEd course in Home Science?
Ans. Currently, most of the top universities offer admission to only Home Science candidates for the BEd Home Science course.
Ques. What are the average annual fees for studying a BEd Home Science course in India?
Ans. The average annual fees for studying BEd Home Science in India ranges between INR 10,000 to 40,000.
Ques. Can I do an MEd degree after completing BEd Home Science?
Ans. Yes, you will be eligible for MEd courses once you complete the BEd Home Science course.
Ques. What is the average salary received by a Home Science teacher in India?
Ans. The average salary of a home science teacher in India ranges between INR 2,00,000 to 4,00,000, depending on the expertise of the candidates.