BEd Special Education is a 2-years full time undergraduate program dealing with training teachers to teach students who are differently-abled or physically challenged. Admission to B.Ed Course is usually based on either entrance examination conducted by some universities while for others it is purely based on merit.
A student should have secured a minimum of 50% marks in graduation from a recognized university to apply for a B.Ed in Special Education course. Various specialization offered in B.Ed Special Education namely Visual Impairment, Mental Retardation, Spectrum Disorder, Hearing Impairment etc.
From Education, Culture and Human Values to Teaching Strategies and methods, everything is included in the B.Ed syllabus. The average fee to pursue BEd Special Education course ranges form INR 30,000 to INR 2,00,000.
Know More About Teacher Training Courses
B.Ed Special Education is considered to be a specialized course for students who want to become Tutor, Counsellor and impart the right way of teaching and guiding students who are either mentally or physically challenged.
After completing the B.Ed Special Education course, students get jobs like Primary Teacher, Career Counsellor, Counsellor, Content Writer, and alike in sectors such as Educational institutes, News and Media, NGOs, etc. The average salary for such graduates ranges from INR 2 LPA to INR 5 LPA.
BEd Course Highlights
|Full Form||Bachelor of Education|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||Graduation from a recognized university|
|Admission Process||Entrance/ Merit|
|Average Course Fees||INR 5,000 to 2 lakhs|
|Subjects||Human growth and development, Learning, Teaching and Assessment, Psycho Social and Family Issues etc|
|Average Salary||INR 2 to 20 lakhs|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Divine International Foundation, NIMT Institutions, Empire Foundation etc|
|Job Profiles||Primary School Teacher, Career Counsellor, Social Worker, Content Writer etc|
BEd Special Education: Admission Process
B.Ed in Special Education admission varies from one institute to another. While some institutes offer admission based on merit i.e marks obtained in the last qualifying examination, other institutes conduct their own entrance exam followed by interview and final admission is based on the combined scores in the entrance exam along with performance in the interview.
Entrance examinations which are conducted by various institutes primarily consist of logical questions related to teaching and aptitude. Entrance exams for which you might have to sit are GGSIPU, LP UP-NEST, AIEED, etc.
Read More about: BEd Admissions
Students are required to sit for the entrance exam, and after qualifying for the exam, they are called for the counseling process or Personal Interview Round.Final admission is based on both marks secured in the entrance examination along with performance in the interview round.
Follow the below-mentioned steps that you need to follow while applying for the B.Ed course:
- Visit either the official website of the Institute or the Admission office of the Institute for the B.Ed admission application forms.
- Fill the application form with essential personal and educational details as directed and upload the required documents in the prescribed dimensions, followed by fee payment through debit/ credit card or Internet Banking.
- Following processing of applications, final selection is done after rounds of PI and counselling.
BEd Special Education: Eligibility Criteria
- The basic B.Ed Special Education eligibility criteria are an aggregate of 50% or above in Graduation in any stream (Arts, Science, and Commerce).
- Candidates having Master’s Degree in Sciences/ Social Sciences/ Humanities or having Bachelors in Engineering or Technology with Science and Mathematics as subjects of specialization or Candidates with honours in Bachelors degree are also to apply.
- The minimum age that is considered to join the B.Ed course is 21 years with no upper age limit for B.Ed Admission.
BEd Special Education: Entrance Exams
Many colleges select prospective students on the basis of performance in the Top B.Ed Entrance Exams. Some of these entrance exams are university level and some are state-level examinations are mentioned below.
|Exam Name||Exam Mode||Exam Date|
|UP B.Ed JEE||Offline||February 18, 2021|
|IGNOU B.Ed Entrance Exam||Online||To be announced|
|BHU Entrance Test||Online||To be announced|
|AP-Ed CET Entrance Test||Online||To be announced|
Read More: BHU B.Ed Entrance Examination
B.Ed Special Education: Tips to clear Entrance Exam
- B.Ed Special Education entrance examinations basically cover sections namely General English, Teaching Aptitude and General Knowledge, Subject Knowledge.
- Candidates must go through the entrance exam syllabus thoroughly and follow the time table to complete the full syllabus on time.
- Apart from that, they should have some background or knowledge regarding B.Ed course details, so that these questions are not completely new to you.
- Practice previous years B.Ed entrance exam question papers to keep a check on the exam pattern.
- Figure out your weak points and try to improve them by practicing and regular revision.
- For General English, read an English newspaper daily.
- Develop the habit of reading novels of reputed English authors to increase your vocabulary skill.
- For General Knowledge, stay updated with the daily news and happenings around the world by reading newspapers as well as watching news over the television along with reading general knowledge books.
- For Subject Knowledge, develop conceptual knowledge on the subjects included in the syllabus
Read More Detailed B.Ed Syllabus
BEd Special Education: College Admission Tips
- B.Ed Admission takes place through entrance examinations like BHU Entrance Test, and others.
- Hence, if you want to get into a good B.Ed college, then your preparation for the entrance exams should be extensive.
- Some colleges also select students on the basis of merit, hence your final scores in graduation should be able to meet the cutoff criteria set by the college.
- Enroll in some reputed coaching institute for regular mock tests and improvement in soft skill like communication skill
- Prepare for the Personal Interview Round. Be confident and fluent in your speech.
Check More Top B.Ed Colleges
BEd Special Education: What is it about?
- B.Ed Full Form is Bachelor of Education in Special Education enabling teachers to get acquainted with teaching skills methodologies, teaching pedagogy, and other skills.
- It enables you to get both practical and theoretical hands-on training in teaching specially-abled kids like children with Hearing Impairment/ Mental Retardation/ visual impairment/ locomotor disability/autism/spectrum disorder.
- The course is of 2 years duration offered in a semester based mode with a total of four semesters each of six months duration with written and practical examinations conducted at the end of each semester for student evaluation.
- The course is for those students who are interested in the teaching field and wish to gain knowledge in various aspects of teaching differently abled students like Education, Culture and Human Values, Educational Psychology, Guidance and Counselling, etc.
- Some of the common B.Ed subjects include Human growth and development, Locomotive and multiple disabilities, Teaching Strategies and methods, Family issues and psychosocial, etc.
BEd Special Education: Top Colleges
|Name of the College||Average Fees|
|Sanskriti University||INR 1,20,000|
|Banaras Hindu University||INR 5,670|
|Kurukshetra University||INR 10,860|
|Indian Institute of Health Education and Research||INR 1,70,000|
|Netaji Subhas Open University||INR 30,000|
|National Institute of Mentally Handicapped||INR 20,000|
B.Ed Special Education: College Comparison
|Parameter||Banaras Hindu University||Kurukshetra University|
|Overview||BHU is one of the oldest Indian universities offering B.Ed course admission through entrance examination||Kurukshetra University is one of the premier university located in Haryana offering B.Ed course based on merit|
|Admission Process||Entrance Based||Merit Based|
|Average Fees||INR 5,670||INR 10,860|
|Average Package Offered||Rs 4,00,000||Rs 3, 50,000|
|Seat Availability||24 seats||20-500 across various colleges|
BEd Special Education: Course Advantages
There are plenty of reasons to study B.Ed. Most of the students prefer to study this course because of the following advantages:
- There is an utmost need of skilled teachers to teach students with special needs who get unnoticed and are compelled to leave studies in India.
- It opens a pool of job opportunities in various fields, especially in the education sector.
- Since the teaching profession has always been a respectable profession, there is a rush for students getting enrolled into such a course.
- On the other hand, this course offers job satisfaction coupled with a flexible schedule to educate individuals.
- There is an opportunity for students to go for higher studies too like M.Ed, to add an extra edge and update their skills & experience, which leads to career development.
- A candidate with a B.Ed degree is in huge demand since manpower is continuing to get replaced by the systems and the need for good skillful experts and professionals is there to teach students with special needs like children with Hearing Impairment/ Mental Retardation/ Visual Impairment.
- In terms of salary, B.Ed graduates can earn from INR 2.10.0 LPA in the starting and after getting industry experience and become proficient in advance teaching skills.
Check Out B.Ed Distance Education
BEd Special Education: Course Comparison
B.Ed is a 2 year-long undergraduate course that falls under the guidance of NAAC. BEd and BEd Physical Science, both the courses are highly competitive and are in huge demand. Below given is a comparison about the same.
Also checkout: Top Colleges offering BEd Physical Science Course
|Parameter||B.Ed (Special Education)||BEd Physical Science|
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Education in Special Education||Bachelor of Physical Education|
|Domain||This course deals with teaching differently abled children||This course involves the branches of natural science and science that studies non-living systems, in contrast to Life Sciences.|
|Duration||2 years||2-3 years|
|Eligibility||Graduation with 50% marks||Graduation with 50% marks|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exams or Merit Based||Entrance Exams or Merit|
|Top Colleges||Banaras Hindu University, National Institute of Mentally Handicapped, Kurukshetra University||Maharshi Dayanand University, Mahatma Gandhi University, University of Delhi|
|Job Roles||Primary School Teacher, Career Counsellor, Social Worker||Scientist, Scientific Assistant, Research analyst, Technical Writer/Editor, Lecturers, etc.|
|Average Annual Fee||INR 5,000 to 2 lakhs||INR 10,000 to 60,000|
|Average Salary Offered||INR 2 to 20 lakhs||INR 2.5 Lakhs to INR 5 Lakhs|
B.Ed Special Education Syllabus
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Human growth and development||Teaching, learning and assessment|
|Sensory disabilities||School subjects pedagogy (Mathematics, Science, Social science)|
|Neurodevelopmental disabilities||School subjects pedagogy 2 (English, Hindi)|
|Locomotive and multiple disabilities||Designing, adaptation and evaluation of Curriculum|
|Contemporary India and education||Inclusive education|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Teaching Strategies and methods||Skill-based optional course|
|Family issues and psychosocial||Skill-based optional course through|
|Disabilities and Technology||Statistics and research|
|Visual and performing arts||Inclusive school creation|
|Reading and Reflection on test||Internship|
B.Ed Special Education: Jobs Profiles
|Job Position||Average Annual Salary|
|Primary Teacher||INR 2,37,000|
|Content Writer||INR 2,43,000|
|Content Reviewer||INR 5,00,000|
|Career Counsellor||INR 2,44,000|
|Education Developer Associate||INR 4,01,000|
B.Ed Special Education: Future Scope
- M.Ed: Master of Education or M.Ed is a 2 year PG degree in education. Through this course you can gain an in-depth knowledge of all aspects and fields of education.
- PhD (Education): Doctorate degree in Education or PhD (Education) is the highest degree in the field of education that can be pursued only if you have completed your masters in education. After completing Phd, you are open to various lucrative job sectors with attractive salary packages.
BEd Special Education: FAQs
Ques. What is the examination type for B.Ed special education?
Ans. These days most universities and colleges offer B.Ed in special education is a semester based fashion with both written and practical examinations conducted at the end of each semester, which is usually of six months duration.
Ques. What are the popular specializations related to B.Ed Special Education?
Ans. Popular specializations for B.Ed. (Bachelor of Education) include Philosophy, Curriculum Development, Islamic Studies, Management, and Archaeology.
Ques. Who are the target audience to be provided guidance and help after I complete my B.Ed in special education?
Ans. A B.Ed in special education aims in educating and guiding students with special needs like locomotor disability, visual impairment, hearing impairment, deafblindness, learning disability, autism spectrum disorder etc.
Ques. What are the future scopes after pursuing B.Ed in special education?
Ans. As you must be aware, the Govt of India has made it mandatory to have a B.Ed degree for teaching in higher primary schools and high schools. Besides students completing such a course can work as career counselor, content writer as well as education associate.
Ques. What is Special Education in B.Ed covers?
Ans. This branch of education uses instructional material, special instructional methodology, learning-teaching aids to educate and guide students with special needs.
Ques. Tell us something about the course curriculum covered in the B.Ed special education program?
Ans. Listed below few of the subjects covered under B.Ed special education program-
- Teaching methodologies
- Educational planning
- Communication skills
- Educational psychology
Ques. Can I opt for B.Ed in special education in correspondence?
Ans. Institutes namely IGNOU, National Correspondence College, UP Rajarshi Tandon Open University etc offer admission in B.Ed (special education) in correspondence mode.IGNOU is believed to be the best university offering B.Ed course in distance mode with admission done on the basis of scores obtained in entrance examination.
Ques. What are the opportunities of a Special Educator after completing B.Ed in special education?
Ans. Special Educators can work both in the Government and private sector. They can join schools which enroll children with special needs. Special educators can also work in collaboration with physiotherapists, psychologists apart from working in rehabilitation centres as well.
Ques. Does internship is included as a subject in the B.Ed Special Education program?
Ans. As per UGC guideline, all institutes and universities whether public or private must include internship during the 4th semester curriculum of a 2 year B.Ed Special Education program.