B.Ed or Bachelor of Education Distance is a 2-5 years degree course which aims to train students to become teachers. It is mandatory for teachers to have this degree if they wish to teach in school.
IGNOU is a widely used University when it comes to studying Distance Education. It provides quality education along with internships which provides experience to the students. Also Check: Top Distance/Correspondence B.Ed Colleges in India
Why Study B.Ed Distance Education?
The reasons for studying B.Ed Distance Education are plenty are mentioned below:
- The student can start his career in the teaching profession while doing his B.Ed distance Education. This will enable the person to teach lower classes gaining experience while also preparing himself to teach higher classes.
- The student may learn more about the subject he wants to teach while completing his qualification requirements for teaching in schools.
- While teaching primary classes and doing his B.Ed Distance Education, the person can provide for himself and his family.
- The Students will get books from the institute which are included in the course fee, this helps the students to save costs.
- B.Ed is more about practical experience rather than theory, and B. Ed Distance Education provides the time to do just that.
Is B.Ed Distance Education Valid?
Candidates who pursues distance education often wonder about the validity of the course. In this segment we will be answering questions about whether the B.Ed Distance offered by the institute is valid or not.
First let us understand one thing. The Eligibility criteria of the B.Ed programs are generally regulated by the National Council of Teacher Education or NCTE. Thus, the candidates must look into the accreditation of the institute’s programs to check whether the B.Ed is valid or not.
The candidates can also check whether the degree is accredited by the distance education board (DEB) and the UGC or not. If the B.Ed course is accredited by either of the following bodies then the candidates can assume their course to be valid for any kind of centre government jobs.
Now let us see the individual validity of the some of the top B.Ed Distance course in India
- IGNOU: The B.Ed Course offered by the IGNOU is recognized by the National Council of Teacher Education (NCTE), thus making the B.Ed Distance course valid.
- NSOU (Netaji Subhas Open University): The B.Ed course offered by the Netaji Subhas Open University is acceptable for the WB SSC examination. The university itself is recognized by the Distance Education Council (DEC) and the UGC, hence bringing validity to the courses.
- Lovely Professional University: The B.Ed course offered by the LPU is recognised by the National Council of Teacher Education (NCTE). Thus , the B.Ed course is valid for central government jobs.
- Annamalai University: Like Lovely Professional University the B.Ed program offered by the Annamalai University is recognized by the National Council of Teacher Education (NCTE), thus the B.Ed Distance Course is valid.
B.Ed Distance Education Admission Process
The admission process for studying B.Ed Distance Education are as follows:
- Every University conducts an Entrance Exam for the admission of new students.
- The students pass the Entrance Exam in order to gain admission in the college.
- The name of the student who has passed the entrance exam will be shown on the Merit List of the Examination and thus only passing would not guarantee admission.
- After declaring the Merit List, the college will take in students with respect to its capacity.
B.Ed Distance Education Eligibility
The common Eligibility criteria for admission for B.Ed Distance Education are mentioned below: a)The Eligibility criteria of different categories :
- Candidates with 50% marks either in the Bachelor’s Degree and/or in the Master’s Degree in Sciences/Social Sciences/Commerce/Humanity.
- Bachelor’s in Engineering or Technology with specialization in Science and Mathematics with 55% marks or any other qualification equivalent thereto
- b) The following categories are eligible to be students of B.Ed. (ODL):
- Trained in-service teachers in elementary education.
- Candidates who have completed a NCTE recognized teacher education programme through face-to-face mode.
- The reservation and relaxation of 5% marks in minimum eligibility will be provided to SC/ST/OBC (Non creamy layer)/PWD candidates as per the rules of the Central Government.
See Also: IGNOU Admission Process
B.Ed Distance Education Top Colleges
B.Ed is also one of the courses that aspirants wish to pursue from distance education mode. Therefore, there are no. of colleges offering B.Ed from distance learning. Given below is the list of few of them.
|Institute Name||Location||Average Fee|
|Lady Shri Ram College of Commerce||New Delhi||INR 60,000|
|Satyam College of Education||Noida||INR 70,000|
|Indira Gandhi National Open University||New Delhi||INR 50,000|
|St. Xavier’s College of Education||Patna||INR 80,000|
|Lovely Professional University||Punjab||INR 38,000|
|Netaji Subhas Open University||Kolkata||INR 40,000|
B.Ed Distance Syllabus
The core subjects of the B.Ed Distance Course Curriculum are mentioned below. The Syllabus of IGNOU is followed in the table below:
|First Year||Second Year|
|Childhood and Growing Up||Pedagogy of Science|
|Contemporary India and Education||Pedagogy of Social Science|
|Learning and Teaching||Pedagogy of Mathematics|
|Languages across the Curriculum||Pedagogy of English|
|Understanding Disciplines and Subjects||Pedagogy of Hindi|
IGNOU is the most widely used University when it comes to distance education. There are Internships provided along with this curriculum.
B.Ed Distance Education FAQs
Ques: Is it worth doing B Ed from Ignou?
Ans: Yes, the IGNOU B.Ed course is approved by the National Council of Teacher Education (NCTE). The eligibility criteria is the same as that of the normal B.Ed course. However, the course fee is moderately high at INR 55,000.
Ques: Can I do B Ed from Ignou?
Ans: Yes, you can do B.Ed from IGNOU. The minimum duration of the course is 2 years and the maximum duration of the course is 5 years. There is no upper age limit for the IGNOU B.Ed. The candidates need to appear for a B.Ed entrance conducted by the university. The course fee is INR 55,000.
Ques: Can I do B.Ed in correspondence?
Ans: Yes, you can do B.Ed Course in correspondence. However, you must see whether the course has been approved by the NCTE or not. Some distance education courses are approved by the Distance Education Board (DEB)-UGC. The top colleges providing B.Ed correspondence courses are IGNOU, NSOU, LPU, Annamalai University, and many more.
Ques: What is the fee of B Ed in Ignou?
Ans: The fee of the B.Ed in IGNOU is INR 55,000. The amount must be paid through a demand draft.
Ques: Is distance education valid?
Ans: Yes. However the course must be recognised by the National Council of Teacher Education (NCTE) or Distance Education Board (DEB)-UGC.
Ques: Is distance education valid for government jobs?
Ans: Yes, if it is recognised by the National Council of Teacher Education (NCTE) or Distance Education Board (DEB)-UGC or Distance Education Council (DEC).
Ques: Who can do B Ed from Ignou?
Ans: The eligibility criteria to do B.Ed from IGNOU are:
- Graduates from Science, arts, social science and commerce fields are required to secure at least 50% marks and graduates from engineering and technology with specialization in science or maths must have 55% marks.
- There is a general 5% relaxation for marks obtained by the candidates in the reserved categories.
- Candidates should be trained in-service teachers or should have completed a NCTE recognized teacher education programme through face-to-face mode.
Ques: How do I become a government teacher?
Ans: First you need to pass the B.Ed course. Then you have to crack a Teacher eligibility test (TET), either national level or state level. If selected then you have to appear for the final interview.
Ques: Is Ignou difficult to pass?
Ans: If the candidates keep notes of their study material and prepare a proper time table according to their subjects, then passing the IGNOU B.Ed course won’t be tough.
Ques: Is Ignou provide M Ed?
Ans: Yes, IGNOU M.Ed course. Candidates need to have a B.Ed degree with 55% marks, along with with two years experience. The course fee is INR 40,000