B.El.Ed. or Bachelor of Elementary Education is a full-time undergraduate degree program, the duration of which is 4 years. The course trains candidates for teaching in elementary school which deals with students from 6 to 12 years of age.
Know More About Teacher Training Courses
To seek admission to this course, candidates need to fulfil the basic eligibility criteria laid down by the admission authorities. Candidates must have passed Class 12 or equivalent from a recognized board to get admission to this program.
B.El.Ed. admission is done either on the basis of candidate’s marks in the Class 12 examination or on the basis of candidate’s performance in entrance test.
The average annual fee charged in India for B.El.Ed. program ranges between INR 20,000 and INR 1,50,000 depending on the institute offering the program.
The B.El.Ed. course covers disciplines including historical patterns, philosophical theories, current classroom trends, history and evolution of education, education related prior state and federal legislative policies, principles for child development, education practice, pedagogy and role of a teacher in the grooming of students.
Students admitted to the B.El.Ed. course are motivated and trained for a career in elementary education. They are also given lessons to establish and enforce rules for the behaviour and procedures for maintaining order, develop lesson plans and other instructional materials.
Some of the top institutes offering the B.El.Ed. course are provided in the table given below:
|NIRF Ranking||College/University||Admission Process||Annual Fees||ROI|
|1||Miranda House College, New Delhi||Entrance Test||19,000||3|
|5||Lady Shri Ram College for Women, (LSR), New Delhi||Entrance Test||19,030||4|
|12||Gargi College, New Delhi||Entrance Test||16,485||1|
|25||Jesus and Mary College, New Delhi||Entrance Test||20,460||2|
|58||Amity University, Noida||Merit/ Entrance Based||INR 60,000||5|
Students who complete the B.El.Ed. course can apply for jobs such as a Primary Teacher, Content Reviewer, Career Counsellor and many more. The average salary offered in India to successful graduates of this program ranges between INR 2 and 4 lakhs.
B.El.Ed. Admission Process
Most of the private colleges offer admission based on candidate’s marks in Class 12 examination. However, most of the colleges and institutes offer admission to B.El.Ed. courses based on the candidate's performance in the entrance examination conducted by the college authority followed by subsequent rounds of counselling.
In order to get direct admission to the B.El.Ed. course, candidates are required to score high marks in Class 12 and based on marks obtained in Class 12 and personal interview, candidates will be shortlisted for further admission rounds.
B.El.Ed. Online Application Process:
- Search on the homepage and click on the link for Apply online on the official website of the college/institute selected.
- Register by entering the details required (if you are a new user).
- Application form to be filled using personal details and upload the scanned documents required such as signature, photograph, etc. in the prescribed format.
- Application form and receipt to be downloaded after successful submission of the application fee using debit/credit/ net banking.
B.El.Ed. Offline Application Process:
- Candidates should read carefully the admission process for the college/ institute and note the documents required for admission.
- The admission centre of the college should be visited along with all the documents and Photo Id proof.
- The application form should be filled at the admission centre as guided by the admission official.
- Submission of the admission fee to reserve the seat for B.El.Ed. course admission.
Candidates seeking admission to B.El.Ed. course need to fulfil the minimum eligibility criteria provided below:
- Passed Class 12 or equivalent in relevant discipline from a recognized board with an aggregate of at least 50% marks (45% for candidates belonging to SC/ ST/ OBC Category).
- Hold two-year Diploma in Elementary Education.
- Candidates appearing for their Class 12 final examinations are also eligible to apply for the B.El.Ed. course.
B.El.Ed. Entrance Exams
Entrance examinations are an important aspect of the admission process in any B.El.Ed. admission. Some of the top entrance examinations conducted for admission to B.El.Ed. courses are given below:
DU B.El.Ed. : Delhi University B.El.Ed. entrance examination is a computer-based test which is conducted by the Delhi University for admission to its B.El.Ed. course. There will be 120 multiple choice questions in the entrance test and candidate's have to complete the same in two hours.
Important dates of Delhi University B.El.Ed. entrance exam:
|Last date for submission of online application form||2nd week of June 2020|
|Release of Admit Card||Last week of Jun 2020|
|Date for entrance exam of B.El.Ed. course||1st week of Jul 2020|
|Declaration of Final rank-wise result for B.El.Ed. course||3rd week of Jul 2020|
How to prepare for the DU B.El.Ed. Entrance Test?
It is very important to know the detailed syllabus of the B.El.Ed. entrance test that one is planning to appear for. Mainly, there are four sections in the question paper, which are:
- Language Comprehension (English and Hindi)
- Subject Knowledge (Mathematics up to Class 10)
- Subject Knowledge (Science up to Class 10)
- Subject Knowledge (Social Sciences up to Class 10)
You can prepare well for the entrance test if you follow a time table and prepare thoroughly. Points to keep in mind while preparing for B.El.Ed. Entrance Exam:
- Try to give a large number of time-based tests as this will help you in preparing for the exam day. For computer-based tests, manage time for all the sections in such a way that you get a chance to attempt all the questions asked in the question paper.
- Try to solve at least 10-12 timed Mock Tests after completing your preparation.
- Give time for revision as well, and don’t leave anything for the last day of the exam. Be calm and confident, and don’t think anything negative before entering the exam centre.
How to get admission to a good B.El.Ed. College?
- Since most colleges offer admission to B.El.Ed. courses based on the candidate's performance in the entrance test, it is very important to get a good score in the entrance test conducted by the college authority.
- It is also equally important to be mentally and physically prepared for further rounds after the entrance exam i.e. counselling and interview.
- Keep a track of important dates of the entrance exam so that you can register for the exam well in time.
- Students must start preparing for the entrance exam a year before and keep their targeted college in mind.
B.El.Ed. : What is it About?
- The course curriculum of B.El.Ed. course is designed in a way to prepare individuals to make a career in teaching at public and private elementary and middle schools.
- The subjects that candidates need to study while studying B.El.Ed. include theories and practices of elementary education, technological tools of modern classrooms, introductory courses in how children learn, knowledge of child psychology and cognitive development, analysis of popular children’s literature and identification of teaching methods and practices that are most appropriate and effective for youths.
- Students enrolled in B.El.Ed. courses have to undergo a teacher internship that would extend their teaching experience under direct supervision.
- Students opting for this program are offered training in evaluating student’s academic and social growth, maintaining proper records, preparing progress reports, communicating with parents through conferences and other means, discussing child’s progress and many more.
B.El.Ed. Course Highlights
Some of the major highlights of the course are tabulated below:-
|Duration of the Course||4 years|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||10+2 in any stream from a recognized board|
|Admission Process||Entrance Test followed by Counselling.|
|Average Course Fee||INR 20,000 to 1.5 lakhs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2,00,000 to INR 4,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Organizations||Schools, Primary Schools etc.|
|Top Job Areas||Coaching Centers, Education Department, Private Tuitions etc.|
|Top Job Positions||Primary Teacher, Content Reviewer, Career Counsellor etc.|
Why Study B.El.Ed. ?
There are many benefits of pursuing a B.El.Ed. degree course. Some of them are:
- On completion of this course, students easily get jobs as a teacher in educational institutions.
- Students will get to know child psychology and this in turn will help them in understanding a child’s mind.
- Students can opt for jobs in numerous sectors such as publishing houses, schools, Education department, coaching centres etc.
- Handsome salary packages are offered with the average salary of INR 2-4 Lakhs Per Annum.
B.Ed vs B.El.Ed.
Both of these courses will help aspirants get a teaching job, however, the duration of both the courses are different. B.El.Ed. provides eligibility for Elementary education whereas B.Ed provides eligibility for Secondary Education. The basic difference between these two courses are provided in the table given below.
|Qualification||Bachelor of Education||Bachelor of Elementary Education|
|Course Overview||B.Ed is a graduate degree program which prepares candidates to teach at the secondary level.||B.El.Ed. is a full-time undergraduate degree program that prepares candidates to teach at elementary school level.|
|Duration||2 years||4 years|
|Eligibility||Completed graduation in any discipline||Completed class 12 in any stream|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 25,000 to 2,00,000||INR 20,000 to 1,50,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 4 to 8 Lakhs||INR 2 to 4 Lakhs|
|Colleges||Amity University, Noida, Jamia Millia Islamia, Delhi, Lady Irwin College, New Delhi etc.||LSR, New Delhi, Gargi College, Amity University, Noida etc.|
Source: College websites
B.El.Ed. Top Colleges
Some of the top colleges offering B.El.Ed. course are provided in the table given below:
|Miranda House College||New Delhi||NAAC||INR 76,000|
|Lady Shri Ram College for Women, (LSR)||New Delhi||NAAC, UGC||INR 76,120|
|Gargi College||New Delhi||NAAC, UGC||INR 65,940|
|Jesus and Mary College||New Delhi||NAAC||INR 81,840|
|Amity University||Noida||NCTE, COA, BCI, AICTE, NAAC, UGC, AIU||INR 2.4 lakhs|
|Central Women’s College of Education||Lucknow||AICTE, NAAC||INR 1.02 lakhs|
|Bundelkhand University||Jhansi||AICTE, NAAC, UGC||INR 1.4 lakhs|
|Invertis University||Bareilly||NCTE, COA, PCI, BCI, AICTE, UGC, NBA, AIU||INR 1.6 lakhs|
|Mangalayatan University||Aligarh||NCTE, PCI, BCI, UGC||INR 2 lakhs|
|Amity University||Kolkata||UGC||INR 2.4 lakhs|
The table given below depicts basic differences between some of the favourable colleges to pursue B.El.Ed. program:
|Name of the College||The Lady Shri Ram College||Amity University|
|Overview||The Lady Shri Ram College is one of the best colleges among the colleges offering B.El.Ed. . program. Apart from this course, this college also offers numerous programs in the field of Commerce to students.||Amity University is a deemed university which is situated in Noida and offers a wide range of programs at the undergraduate, postgraduate and research level.|
|Average Fees||INR 76,120||INR 2.4 lakhs|
|Average Salary Package||INR 2,50,000||INR 4,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Navodaya Schools, Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan, Sarvodaya Vidyalaya etc.||Navodaya Schools, Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan, Sarvodaya Vidyalaya etc.|
Source: College Websites
B.El.Ed. Syllabus and Course Description
The detailed year-wise syllabus of B.El.Ed. program is provided in the table given below:
|Year I||Year II|
|Child development||English I|
|Contemporary India||Hindi I|
|Nature of language||Mathematics I|
|Core mathematics||Physics I|
|Core natural science||Chemistry I|
|Core social sciences||History I|
|-||Political science I|
|Year III||Year IV|
|Mathematics II||Natural science|
|Physics II||Social science|
|Chemistry II||Computer education|
|History II||Project work|
|Political science II||-|
B.El.Ed. Career Prospects
- On completion of the B.El.Ed. course, students can opt for Elementary School Teacher or a Special Education Teacher. Students can also apply for jobs such as content reviewer, career counsellor etc.
- The job responsibility of a Special Education Teacher are as follows:
- Working with students having any kind of disability including physical, cognitive and emotional.
- Guiding and noting student’s development and preparing detailed reports of student’s progress.
- Focussing on basic subjects such as Mathematics, English, Science and History.
- Impacting a child’s developmental years in which they are exploring the world and making patterns that can affect their future.
- Creating education goals and standards and involved with public relations.
Some of the top job opportunities available to B.El.Ed. graduates are provided below along with the corresponding salaries:
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Primary Teacher||High School Teachers work for schools that offer admission to students from grades 9-12. They instruct students particularly in a single subject, be it English, Science, History, Mathematics, Language or Art. They must plan a curriculum, covering basic topics in Algebra to advanced information on psychology. Teaching can be rewarding, but High School Teachers may have challenging jobs when they are faced with unmotivated or disruptive students.||INR 2,37,000|
|Content Writer||Web content Writers prepare content specifically for online usage. Nowadays, Digital media is growing as new technologies attract users to the web. Such Content Writers can face heavy competition for available positions. Some are usually freelancers and may work for several clients from their home itself. Most of them hold Bachelor's degrees in journalism, English or communications. They need to be familiar with writing for traditional publications as well as for the web also.||INR 2,43,000|
|Career Counsellor||Career counsellors may find potential clients by giving presentations on their services. They also maintain client records, conduct mock interviews, and conduct aptitude and achievement tests to collect the information that assists them in helping clients choose their careers. They also collect information about schools and programs, tuition, costs of books, and schedules for clients interested in pursuing schooling. Career Counsellors help people develop their career plans; they train people in basic job search techniques and inform people about the labour market.||INR 2,41,000|
|Associate Education Developer||An Education Developer is known for working with classroom teachers to order books and materials for instructional use, they also observe teachers to make recommendations on changes that could enhance a student’s performance. They may be involved in the training of teachers. Individuals may also be involved in checking State guidelines, and making admissible changes to school curriculum to ensure that the study material a student is getting is in line with the State's guidelines and standard.||INR 6,80,000|
The salary trends of various posts that B.El.Ed. graduates can opt for are presented graphically:
B.El.Ed. Future Scope
On completion of the B.El.Ed. program, candidates can opt for a wide range of professions.
With the help of a B.El.Ed. degree, students will be able to develop their teaching skills which in turn helps them to get a decent job and enhance their career in the education sector. The scope is rising at a fast pace and will also continue to do so in near future.
There are several areas both in the private as well as in the public sector where a B.El.Ed. graduate may start working. Students can also opt for a career as a govt. teacher in schools and other institutes.
Career Options After B.El.Ed.
After completing B.El.Ed. , there are a plethora of opportunities and career options. Students can choose in accordance to their skills and interests. Some of the topmost career choices after B.El.Ed. are provided below:
- B.Ed.: After pursuing B.El.Ed. , most of the students opt for B.Ed. It is always recommended to go for further studies after pursuing this program as otherwise, it won’t be that fruitful.
- M.El.Ed or M.Ed: Candidates can also opt for M.El.Ed. or M.Ed courses in the area of specialization of their choice.
- Primary Teacher: If you wish to work after doing B.El.Ed. , you can apply for teaching in govt. or private colleges and become a primary teacher.
- Tutor: One can also pursue their career as a tutor to students and help them with their studies.
So, B.El.Ed. has numerous attractive career options and one can choose according to your skills and areas of interest. You can go for higher studies or you can also opt for a teaching job. It all depends on you whether you want to do the job after completing B.El.Ed. or you want to study further.
Some of the most frequently asked questions pertaining to B.El.Ed. course are given below:
Ques. What is the full form of B.El.Ed. ?
Ques. What are the subjects taught in B.El.Ed. ?
Ques. What after B.El.Ed. ?
Ques. Which DU college is best for doing B.El.Ed. ?
Ques. Where can I pursue a B.El.Ed. course in India?
- LSR, New Delhi
- Gargi College, New Delhi
- Miranda House, New Delhi
- Amity University, Noida
Ques. Can I do M.A. after B.El.Ed. ?
Ques. Is B.Ed and B.El.Ed. the same?
Ques. Is there any entrance examination for B.El.Ed. ?