What is BFA Applied Arts?
BFA Applied Arts is an undergraduate Fine Arts course. The course is usually 4 years long and the examinations can be either semester wise or yearly. BFA Applied Arts covers topics like Advertising, Calligraphy, Clay Modelling, Animation, Graphic Designing, etc.
The candidates who completed 10+2 in any stream with a minimum 50% aggregate marks are eligible for BFA Applied Arts. The candidates who did Art and Craft courses and studied Art and Craft at school level are given preference.
The admission process for BFA Applied Arts is generally merit based, though some colleges and universities also conduct entrance exams. Mostly, the candidates will have to pass a personal interview and Art Skill Test round before final selection.
Some of the important subjects discussed in BFA Applied Arts include 2D Modelling, 3D Modelling, Advertisement Skills, History of Visual Communication, among others. The course will also include relevant practical papers.
This course is offered by many Fine Arts colleges and also some very reputed universities. Some of these universities are listed in the table given below.
|NIRF University Ranking 2020||College Name||Location||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees||Average Annual Salary|
|10||Jamia Millia Islamia University||New Delhi||Entrance Based||INR 10,550||INR 5,00,000|
|41||KL University||Guntur||Merit Based||INR 1,20,000||INR 5,00,000|
|69||Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University||Aurangabad||Entrance Based||INR 18,136||INR 5,00,000|
|99||Kurukshetra University||Kurukshetra||Merit Based||INR 38,000||INR 3,50,000|
|150-200||Manipal University||Jaipur||Merit Based||INR 1,16,500||INR 5,40,000|
The average annual fees for studying BFA Applied Arts in India ranges between INR 20,000 to 1,20,000. The fees in government colleges is lower than the private colleges.
After completing BFA Applied Arts, a candidate will be able to find jobs as Painters, Calligraphic Designers, Graphic Designers, Animators, and many other roles.
The average salary for BFA Applied Art candidates ranges between INR 4,00,000 to 7,00,000. However, the salary will largely depend on the skills of the candidates.
After completing BFA Applied Arts, the candidates can do further studies like MFA in Applied Arts. They can also go for individual specialisations in streams like Calligraphy, Animation, etc.
See more: Top BFA Applied Arts Colleges in India
What is the BFA Applied Arts Admission Process?
Both Merit Based and Entrance Based admissions are granted to the BFA Applied Arts Course. The detailed admission process is discussed below.
- Step 1: Entrance Exam: For the colleges accepting entrance based admissions, the candidates will have to qualify in these exams first. The entrance exams are conducted either by the colleges themselves or by some other authorities like university or state entrance boards.
- Step 2: Application To the College: The candidates will have to apply in the colleges where they wish to get admission. The candidates must check the eligibility criteria carefully before applying.
- Step 3: Personal Interview and Portfolio Examination: After shortlisting the candidates, the colleges will call the selected candidates for a personal interview and portfolio examination. During this step, the art skills of the candidates will be tested.
- Step 4: Enrollment: After examining the portfolio, if the candidate seems fit for the course, he/she will be granted enrollment to the BFA Applied Arts course.
|BA Colleges In Uttar Pradesh||BA Colleges In Rajasthan||BA Colleges In Madhya Pradesh||BA Colleges In Maharashtra|
What is the BFA Applied Arts Eligibility Criteria?
The general eligibility criteria for BFA Applied Arts Course is discussed below.
- The candidate must complete 10+2 in any stream from a recognized board or university.
- The candidate must obtain minimum 50% aggregate marks in 10+2 level to be eligible for this course.
- The candidates should have basic knowledge of various art forms and should have a good art and design aptitude.
- The candidates should have very good communication skills.
Which are the BFA Applied Arts Entrance Exams?
There is no national level entrance exam for this course. But there are few state level and university level entrance exams for the BFA Applied Arts course. Some of them are discussed below.
- MAH AAC CET: This entrance exam is conducted by the Maharashtra State Entrance Cell for admission to various UG courses in Visual Art, Applied Art and Fine Art streams. All the colleges within the state of Maharashtra follow and accept the scores of this examination.
- JMI Entrance Exam: Jamia Millia Islamia University conducts their own entrance exam for admission to various UG courses including the BFA course. It is largely a MCQ based test with some short and descriptive type questions.
- BHU UET: BHU UET is conducted by Banaras Hindu University for admission to the undergraduate courses. It includes mainly MCQ questions and is held online.
Some important dates regarding these entrance exams have been summed up in the table given below.
|Entrance Exam||Conducted By||Mode of Exam||Forms Released On||Last Date to Apply||Exam Date||Result Date|
|MAH AAC CET||Maharashtra State Entrance Cell||Offline||February 15, 2020||May 30, 2020||November 17-18, 2020||December 02, 2020|
|JMI Entrance Exam||JMI||Offline||January, 2020||September 14, 2020||October 10 - November 22, 2020||In Process|
|BHU UET||BHU||Online||January 30, 2020||March 21, 2020||September 9-14, 2020||October 05, 2020|
How to Prepare for BFA Applied Arts Entrance Exams?
The BFA Applied Arts Entrance Exams usually consist of Theory questions and Aptitude Questions, which is followed by a Practical Exam. The candidates may go through the following points to know more about the preparation techniques for these exams.
- The candidates must work hard for the aptitude test. It will be a combination of Mathematical Aptitude, Designing Aptitude and Art Aptitude. So, the candidates should prepare accordingly.
- The candidates should also increase their general awareness. They should read newspapers regularly for the same.
- The candidates should go through the procedure and Syllabus of the practical exam in detail and then start preparing.
- The candidates should practice the practical tasks like drawing, modelling, designing, etc in a time bound manner.
- The candidates should practice the previous year question papers as much as they can.
- The candidates should work on their speed and try to complete the entire question paper well within the time limit.
How to Get Admission in Top BFA Applied Arts Colleges?
For getting admission in top BFA Applied Arts Colleges, the candidates should keep in mind the following points.
- The cutoffs for BFA Applied Arts in top colleges and universities generally range between 60% to 75%. So, the candidates will need to score above 75% in the 10+2 exam to be on a safer side.
- The candidates must prepare their portfolio and CV properly. These are very important and useful in cracking the personal interview easily.
- The Portfolio should consist of your best works and designs, and CV should clearly highlight your best achievements in Art and Craft.
- The candidate should also be prepared to perform certain tasks on the spot during the personal interview.
- The candidates should work on their communication skills. They should speak fluently and confidently.
- The candidates should select the colleges properly and apply to each college individually.
- While applying, they should be very careful while filling all the details. Any wrong or mismatched information may lead to their cancellation.
BFA Applied Arts: What is it About?
The BFA Applied Arts Course includes Advertising, Calligraphy, Graphic Designing, Drawing, Clay Modelling, Animation, and many other divisions of Arts. The course is discussed in detail below.
- The course covers different types and techniques of drawing, various mediums of paintings and different colouring ways and combinations.
- The course will give a detailed overview of advertisement designing, advertising and persuading skills, and different formats of advertising.
- The students will also get to learn Calligraphy techniques and graphic designing.
- The course will briefly cover the different types of animation. It will also help the students in doing their own animation projects.
- Apart from these, the course will also include Clay Modelling, Art Modelling, Handicrafts, and other forms of objective art.
- In this course, every topic will be dealt in both theoretical and practical means. The course will include multiple practical papers and these will be taken with great importance.
- The main aim of the course is to develop the overall Art, Design and Animation aptitude of the students.
- After completing this course, the candidates will not only have a deep knowledge of every means of applied Arts but they will also be able to practically perform the same with adequate expertise.
BFA Applied Arts: Highlights
The major highlights of the BFA Applied Arts Course have been tabulated below.
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Fine Arts in Applied Arts|
|Level of Study||Undergraduate|
|Course Duration||4 Years|
|Eligibility||10+2 with minimum 50% aggregate marks|
|Admission Process||Merit Based or Entrance Based|
|Examination type||Semester or Annual|
|Average Annual Fee||INR 20,000 to 1,20,000|
|Average Salary||INR 4,00,000 to 7,00,000|
|Job Options||Painters, Calligraphic Designers, Graphic Designers, Animators, etc.|
|Areas of Employment||Art and Craft, Animation, Graphic Designing, among others.|
Why Study BFA Applied Arts?
BFA Applied Arts is a course that offers you multiple streams of specialisations and multiple areas of employment in future. Let us discuss some of the major benefits of the BFA Applied Arts course.
- BFA Applied Arts offers you an Easy Gateway to In-Demand Skills like Graphic Designing, Calligraphy and Animation.
- After learning these skills, the candidates will find work not only as artists, but also in many reputed IT companies, software development companies, and many other places.
- The candidates with good Applied Arts skills are offered very good salary packages ranking between INR 4,00,000 to 7,00,000. The salary generally increases with skills and experience.
- The BFA Applied Arts candidates can choose between jobs and startup. They can establish their own startups in various fields like Designing, Animation and many more.
- The candidates can even go for specialisation in important streams like Graphics and Animation and become professionals in those fields in future.
Course Comparison: BFA Applied Arts vs BFA Animation
BFA Applied Arts covers every part of Applied Arts including Animation itself, while BFA Animation deals mainly with animation. The two courses have been compared below.
|Parameters||BFA Applied Arts||BFA Animation|
|Full Form||Bachelor of Fine Arts in Applied Arts||Bachelor of Fine Arts in Animation|
|Overview||BFA Applied Arts covers topics like Calligraphy, Advertising, Clay Modelling, Animation, Graphic Designing, etc. It also includes different types of drawing, painting, advertising and poster designing, among others.||BFA Animation deals with all the topics related to Animation in great detail. It will cover graphics, various forms of animation, various softwares used for animation, colour combinations, uses of animations and many other topics.|
|Duration||4 years||3-4 years|
|Eligibility||10+2 with minimum 50% aggregate marks||10+2 with minimum 50% aggregate marks|
|Admission Process||Merit Based or Entrance Based||Merit Based or Entrance Based|
|Examination Type||Semester or Annual||Semester|
|Top Colleges||Jamia Millia Islamia, KL University, Kurukshetra University, Manipal University, etc.||Amity University, KL University, Amity School of Fine Arts, Hindustan Institute of Technology and Sciences, etc.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 20,000 to 1,20,000||INR 40,000 to 1,50,000|
|Job Profiles||Painters, Calligraphic Designers, Graphic Designers, Animators, etc.||Animator, Graphic Designer, Video Editor, Advertisement Designer, etc.|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 4,00,000 to 7,00,000||INR 3,00,000 to 7,00,000|
Which are the Top BFA Applied Arts Colleges?
The BFA Applied Arts course is offered by many top universities. Apart from them, this course is also offered by many reputed Fine Arts colleges. Some of the top universities and colleges offering BFA Applied Arts courses are tabulated below.
|College Name||Average Annual Fees||Average Annual Salary|
|Jamia Millia Islamia University||INR 10,550||INR 5,00,000|
|KL University||INR 1,20,000||INR 5,00,000|
|Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University||INR 18,136||INR 5,00,000|
|Kurukshetra University||INR 38,000||INR 3,50,000|
|Manipal University||INR 1,16,500||INR 5,40,000|
|International Institute of Fine Arts||INR 45,000||INR 3,00,000|
|MIT World Peace University||INR 1,20,000||INR 3,20,000|
|Mangalayatan University||INR 25,000||INR 3,50,000|
|RIMT University||INR 59,000||INR 4,05,000|
College Comparison: BFA Applied Arts
The top universities offering BFA Applied Arts have been compared on the basis of Ranking, Fees, Placement Salary, among others.
|Parameters||Jamia Millia Islamia University||KL University||Kurukshetra University|
|Overview||Jamia Millia Islamia is one of the major minority universities in India. It is a multidisciplinary central university which was established in 1920. It is currently one of the best among the central universities and 16th overall in NIRF Rankings.||Koneru Lakshmaiah Education Foundation, now known as KL University, is a private deemed university. It was recognised as a deemed university in the year 2009. The university is particularly famous for its Engineering, Designing and Management courses.||Kurukshetra University is one of the best state owned public universities of Haryana. It was established in 1956. Currently, it offers courses in Engineering, Management, Science, Arts and many other streams. It is a NAAC A graded institute.|
|NIRF University Ranking 2020||10||41||99|
|Admission Process||Entrance Based||Merit Based||Merit Based|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 10,550||INR 1,20,000||INR 38,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 5,00,000||INR 5,00,000||INR 3,50,000|
|Top Recruiters||Byju's, Accenture, TCS, HSBC Technologies, etc.||Deloitte, Cognizant, Wipro, Infosys, HCL, etc.||IBM, Infosys, Wipro, Times of India, Adani Group, etc.|
What is the BFA Applied Arts Syllabus?
The subjects taught in the BFA Applied Arts Course are of two types, theoretical subjects and practical subjects. As it is a skill based course, the main emphasis is given on the practical subjects. The two types of subjects are discussed below.
The following Theory Subjects are included in the BFA Applied Arts Course.
|Year I||Year II|
|History of Visual Communication||History of Art|
|Advertising Art and Ideas I||Copywriting|
|Colour Theory||Computers in Design|
|English and Communication Skills||Advertising Art and Ideas II|
|Year III||Year IV|
|History of Paintings||Advertising Art and Ideas IV|
|Advanced Colour Theory||Philosophy of Art|
|Advertising Art and Ideas III||Project|
Practicals form a very important base of Art Education. The following practical papers are generally included in the BFA Applied Arts Course.
|Year I||Year II|
|Drawing (Nature, Drawing from Cast, Product Drawing)||Study from Life|
|2 Dimensional Design||Calligraphy II|
|3 Dimensional Design||Lettering Typography II|
|Calligraphy I||Corporate Identity|
|Lettering Typography I||Packaging|
|Graphic Designing I||Press Layout|
|Poster Designing||Hoarding Designing|
|Computer Graphics||Graphic Designing II|
|Year III||Year IV|
|Press and Magazine Graphics||Introduction to Coding Systems|
|Story Boards Designing||Communication Designing|
|Computer Graphics||Introduction to Basic Animation|
|Study from Life||---|
What are the BFA Applied Arts Job Profiles?
The candidates completing BFA Applied Arts can work in design studios, art studios, along with industries like gaming industries, graphics and animation industries, etc. The popular job profiles available to BFA Applied Arts candidates along with the average annual salary are tabulated below.
|Job Profiles||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Art Teacher||Art teacher teaches the various kinds of artworks, drawing forms, techniques and painting skills to the students. They can either work. In schools and colleges or open their own art schools.||INR 3,08,000|
|Graphic Designer||Graphic designer designs and produce graphics. The graphics produced can be of different types depending on the need. The graphics can be used as featured images, posters, and many more utilities.||INR 3,00,000|
|Visual Designer||Visual designers work mainly for websites and apps. They design the overall look and sometimes even the User Interface for these applications.||INR 5,00,000|
|3D Artist||3D Artists draw three dimensional paintings, work on 3D artworks, and also design 3D computer graphics.||INR 4,20,000|
|Art Director||Art directors working in advertising, marketing and similar industries head the art and creativity department of their organisation. They supervise all the works of the department.||INR 6,40,000|
|Photographer||The photographers mainly take different types of photos, they also do photo editing and themed photo collections.||INR 3,50,000|
|Design Manager||Design managers manage the functioning of the design department of an organisation. They allocate and approve works, train the workers and guide them through the task.||INR 8,00,000|
What is the BFA Applied Arts Future Scope?
BFA Applied Arts candidates will get multiple higher studies options in different fields and domains. Some of them are discussed below.
- The candidates can go for postgraduate courses like MFA Applied Arts, MA Applied Arts, etc. Most colleges grant admission to these courses on the basis of portfolio and marks of the candidates, but some colleges also conduct entrance exams.
- If the candidates wish to choose a particular specialisation within the Applied Arts stream, then they can go for courses like MFA Painting, MFA Graphics, MA Graphics, and other related courses.
- They can also do various certification courses like Certificate in Animation, Certificate in Graphic Designing, etc. These courses are available in various online platforms like NPTEL, EdX, Coursera, etc.
- If the candidates want to start their own startups, then also they will have multiple options. They can start their own designing studio, art studio, art schools, etc.
BFA Applied Arts: FAQs
Ques. Is BFA Applied Arts a good choice for building a solid career?
Ques. How do I prepare for the JMI BFA Applied Arts Entrance Exam?
Ques. Which one is better: BFA Painting or BFA Applied Arts?
Ques. Which has more scope in India: Graphic Designing or Applied Arts?
Ques. Is there any government job opportunity after BFA Applied Arts in India?
Ques. Can I choose Interior Designing as my career after completing BFA Applied Arts?
Ques. Which government colleges offer BFA Applied Arts in India?
Ques. Can I make a career in cinematography after completing BFA Applied Arts?
Ques. Will it be a good idea to start my own art studio after completing BFA Applied Arts?
Ques. How much salary is offered to a BFA Applied Arts candidate in India?