What is BHM?
Bachelor of Hospital Management or BHM is an undergraduate program of 3 years. The course focuses on aspects of management of healthcare services in hospitals, nursing homes, clinics, diagnostic centres and other institutions related to the healthcare industry. Topics on how hospitals function, administered and the various facilities managed, form the crux of the learning. Some of the important topics of the BHM Syllabus are - Principles of Management, Hospitals Operations, Healthcare Economics, Quality Management, Human Resource Management, Medical Ethics and Financial Management.
Know More About Hospital Management Courses
To get into top BHM Colleges, anyone with a 10+2 qualification from a recognised school or institution is eligible. The candidate can be from any stream, irrespective of science, arts or commerce. It helps, if the candidate has a functional knowledge of the English language, as the programs are all in English medium. Admission to the program can be taken after qualifying in an entrance test. There are however, some colleges which provide admission on the basis of 10+2 marks.
The average fees for a Bachelor of Hospital Management course ranges from INR 42,500 to INR 80,000 annually. After undergoing this course, students will find jobs in the private and government sector in hospitals, healthcare organisations, nursing homes, retirement homes, health insurance companies and other related fields. The average starting salary for a hospital management professional ranges from INR 1.5 to 5 lakh.
After completion of this course, students can take up masters or postgraduate programs. Some of the programs that can be undertaken are MBA in Hospital Management, Masters in Hospital Administration (MHA), PGDM Hospital Management and PG Certificate in Quality Management & Accreditation. There are also scope for undertaking doctorate programs like M.Phil and PhD after post graduation.
Bachelor of Hospital Management: Course Highlights
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Hospital Management|
|Examination type||Semester type|
|Admission Process||Entrance Test|
|Course Fee||INR 42,500 to INR 80,000 annually|
|Average Salary||INR 2 – 5 lakh|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Apollo Hospitals, Fortis Healthcare Ltd., AIIMS, Tata Memorial, Max, Medicare|
|Job Positions||Hospital Manager, Healthcare Administrator, Hospital Dean, Hospital Superintendent, Healthcare Finance Manager, Nursing Director, Healthcare Auditor, Executive Assistant|
What is the Bachelor of Hospital Management Admission Process?
The admission process for the Bachelor of Hospital Management course is mostly an online one. The selection of the candidates is done both on the basis of merit as well as based on entrance tests. The admission process has been discussed as follows.
- The admission process to this undergraduate program depends upon the college. Some colleges admit candidates based on their 10+2 marks.
- To avail such facilities, the candidates will have to download the application form from the college website and submit it to the college after filling it up.
- For admission to colleges, where students have to appear for an entrance test, the candidate can apply for the same by directly visiting the official website for the test or through the website of the college where he/she wants to study.
- At the college/entrance exam website, click on the link for registration. After receiving login id and password through SMS or email, log in to the website and fill the online application form.
- Before final submission, the candidates will have to upload a scanned copy of their signature and photograph.
- Registration fees for the test are to be paid through online mode.
- In case students find it difficult to crack the exam, they may then utilise the facility of direct admission through 10+2 marks and personal interview.
What is the Bachelor of Hospital Management Eligibility Criteria?
The minimum eligibility criteria for this hospital management course is given below.
- The candidate should have passed 10+2 or equivalent qualification from a recognised institution. Most colleges require English as a compulsory subject in 10+2 or up to class 10.
- A score of 50% or more marks in 10+2 is desired by some colleges. Some, however, require only a pass in 10+2.
- Since the classes will be held in English, functional knowledge of the English language is a must.
What are the Bachelor of Hospital Management Entrance Exams?
Admission to this undergraduate program varies from college to college. There are colleges that provide admission to the course on the candidates’ performance in 10+2. Then there are colleges that require the candidate to qualify an entrance test. CET is one of the entrance tests for admission to this program.
CET – CET stands for Common Entrance Test conducted by Maulana Abdul Kalam Azad University of Technology (MAKAUT), West Bengal. The test is conducted for admission to undergraduate and postgraduate non-AICTE professional courses. For applying for the test, the candidate will have to visit the official website of the concerned college or the website of MAKAUT. The test is of 90 minutes duration and the questions are aptitude based. For the year 2020, due to the COVID situation, the test is being conducted online remotely proctored. The test is held at different exam centres all over India.
|Entrance Exam||Application Period||Exam Dates||Exam Mode|
|CET 2021||15 April – 30 May 2021||June 2021 (Tentative)||Online|
How to prepare for the Bachelor of Hospital Management Entrance Exams?
The entrance exam for the hospital management course is a highly competitive one. It requires a good deal of preparation as discussed below to crack this test.
- The common entrance test, tests the candidates on a number of factors. These are mostly related to the candidates’ aptitude.
- The candidates will have to prepare themselves for skills on general knowledge, logical reasoning, numerical ability and English language.
- It requires thorough preparation to clear the test. Practising past questions papers and books on reasoning and numerical ability, will be a lot helpful in preparing for these tests.
- There will be 50 questions to be solved in 90 minutes. The candidates thus need to manage their time so as to finish the paper in time.
- Since the level of the test is easy to moderate, anyone who is familiar with the above aspects will find it easy to qualify.
How to get admission to a top college for Bachelor of Hospital Management?
Good colleges are always in demand, whichever field it may be. So those looking for admission to a top college for a hospital management course, they need to mainly take care of certain things as mentioned below.
- The candidates should score good marks in their 10+2. Most colleges insist on a minimum score of 50% marks in the qualifying exam.
- A good functional knowledge of the English language is also a must. It helps if you had English as one of the subjects in 10+2.
- The candidates should be able to do well in the entrance test. Scoring above a certain minimum cut-off is required to be eligible for selection.
- In case someone does not qualify the entrance test, they can still try for direct admission. Some of the seats are generally reserved for direct admissions. The candidate may be required to attend an interview in such cases.
Why Study Bachelor of Hospital Management?
Hospital management or administration is a growing field. There is an increasing demand for this course. Some of the reasons why one should study Bachelor of Hospital Management have been discussed below.
- Not so long back, hospitals used to be administered by the medical fraternity themselves. However, with hospitals expanding in size, developing into speciality and super speciality domains and more corporate hospitals coming up, the requirement was felt for professionals trained in administrative roles. Ever since, there has been a rapid growth in demand for hospital management professionals.
- The field of hospital management is linked with such a field, where one gets the opportunity to provide care and comfort to human patients. For those who have compassion for human life and want to be involved with such noble work, like doctors and nurses, can very well opt for this profession.
- The best thing is that a student from any stream can study this course. It does not matter, whether you are a science, arts or a commerce student. Nor does one need to be a doctor to make a career in hospital management.
- The course is also good for those who are from families owning hospitals. One need not to hire others for administrative roles as long as family members themselves are trained in the field.
Which are the top Bachelor of Hospital Management Colleges?
Bachelor of Hospital Management is taught in a number of colleges in India. The names of such colleges along with details like average course fees and placement packages have been listed below.
|College Name||City||Average Annual Fees in INR||Average Placement Package|
|George College||Kolkata||INR 75,000||INR 2 – 5 lakh|
|Guru Nanak Institute of Technology (GNIT)||Kolkata||INR 80,000||INR 2 – 5 lakh|
|Haldia Institute of Management||Haldia||INR 60,000||INR 1.5 – 5 lakh|
|Kotibarsha Institute of Technology and Management||Dakshin Dinajpur||INR 42,500||INR 1.5 – 4 lakh|
|Paramedical College||Durgapur||INR 1,04,000||INR 2 – 4 lakh|
|Tripura Institute of Paramedical Sciences||Agartala||INR 65,000||INR 1.5 – 5 lakh|
|Institute of Science and Technology||Paschim Medinipur||INR 60,000||INR 1.5 – 4 lakh|
|Inspiria Knowledge Campus||Siliguri||INR 95,000||INR 2 – 4 lakh|
|Dev Bhoomi Group of Institutions (DGBI)||Dehradun||INR 57,500||INR 2 – 5 lakh|
|UIHMT Group of Colleges||Dehradun||INR 75,000||INR 1.5 – 4 lakh|
|Athar Institute of Health and Management Studies (AIHMS)||New Delhi||INR 84,000||INR 2 – 4 lakh|
Source: College websites
What is the Bachelor of Hospital Management Syllabus?
The semester wise syllabus for the above course has been given below. As can be seen from the syllabus, the course focuses on a number of aspects, including management principles, communication skills, knowledge of medical terminologies, economics, logistics and so on.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Principles of Management||Hospital Operations Management – I|
|English Language and Communication||Biostatistics – I|
|Medical Terminology – I||Medical Terminology – II|
|Hospital and Health System – I (History & Evolution)||Hospital and Health System – II|
|Computing Lab||Public Speaking|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Hospital Operations Management – II||Epidemiology & Analysis of Health Information Data|
|Bio-statistics – II||Support and Utility Services – I|
|Health Economics||Environment and Ecology|
|Medical Record Science – I||Medical Record Science – II|
|Inventory Control & Purchase Management||Management Information System|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Quality in Healthcare||Public Relations|
|Support and Utility Services – II||Medical Ethics|
|Financial Management||Project work|
|Human Resource Management||-|
|Marketing of Healthcare Services – Project Training||-|
Bachelor of Hospital Management: Important Books
Some of the important books on the above topic along with their authors are mentioned below:
|Name of the Book||Author|
|Hospital Administration Principles and Practice||Yashpal Sharma|
|Principles of Hospital Administration and Planning||Saharkar|
|Hospitals: Facilities Planning and Management||GD Kunders|
|Marketing Health Services||Richard K Thomas|
|Quality Management in Hospitals||SK Joshi|
|Standard Operating Procedures: For Hospitals in India||Arun Agarwal|
|Economics for Healthcare||Robert H Lee|
What are the Bachelor of Hospital Management Jobs Prospects?
Find below the various job profiles in the field of hospital management and how they differ in their profile, salary and role. More the experience, more is the salary, even in the same role.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary|
|Hospital Dean||This is a top level post in hospital administration, generally reserved for medicos in some of the top hospitals. However, some hospitals do provide opportunities to non-medicos too for this top post. They ensure that the hospital is efficiently run by its myriad of staff, including, doctors, nurses, paramedic staff, managers and administrators.||INR 15 - 20 lakh|
|Hospital Superintendent||Another top post in hospital administration and management especially in the government hospitals. The post is mostly reserved for medicos. The job role is similar to that of a Hospital Dean.||INR 15 - 20 lakh|
|Hospital Administrator||The most common job profile in any corporate hospital. The job of an administrator varies depending upon the work allotted to him/her. They generally look after the day to day functioning of the hospitals and its services. They have to coordinate with various departments to ensure efficient delivery of services to the patients.||INR 3 – 15 lakh|
|Hospital Billing Executive||As the name suggests, the main role of a billing executive is to manage the billing section at a hospital or healthcare facility.||INR 3 - 5 lakh|
|Executive Assistant||More as an assistant role the Executive Assistant in a hospital manages the reports, correspondences and other related documents. They also arrange for conferences, meetings and other such tasks.||INR 2 - 4 lakh|
What after Bachelor of Hospital Management?
The field of hospital management being a growing field has tremendous potential. One may either decide to go for higher education or go directly for a job. Some of these future scope of this field of study has been discussed below.
- Hospital management is a growing sector. With increased health awareness and the prevalence of ailments and diseases, the healthcare sector in recent times has seen a rapid growth in the number of hospitals and healthcare institutions. All this provides for immense opportunities for jobs in this rapidly growing sector.
- After completing this course, one has the opportunity to undertake various postgraduate programs. There is a Masters in Hospital Administration, MBA in Hospital Management, PG Diploma in Health and Law (PGDHL), PG Diploma in Healthcare Operations & Quality Management (PG DHOOM) and PG Certificate in Quality Management & Accreditation (PGQM AHO). All these postgraduate programs will be very useful while climbing up the ladder in any hospital administration job.
- After post-graduation, there is opportunity to pursue doctorate level courses, like PhD in Health Administration. After undergoing a PhD, one can either work in the field of hospital administration or take up a career in academics as a lecturer or professor in one of the many colleges for hospital management.
- Besides these, the course is also useful for family members of those who run hospitals. Having undergone this course, one can help with the day-to-day functioning of the hospital.
- Other than hospitals, there are numerous opportunities to work with government and non-government organizations that are involved in providing healthcare services to the masses .
Bachelor of Hospital Management: FAQs
Ques. What is the duration of this course?
Ans. The duration of this undergraduate degree course in hospital management is 3 years.
Ques. What is the minimum criteria for applying for Bachelor Hospital Management?
Ans. The minimum eligibility requirement is 10+2 or an equivalent qualification from a recognised school or institution. There is no restriction on streams. Anyone from the arts, commerce or science stream can apply. Some institutes require 50% or more marks in 10+2 and some require only a pass.
Ques. What is the selection procedure for enrolling for Bachelor Hospital Management courses?
Ans. Selections to this course are done mostly based on an entrance test. The candidates will have to qualify in the entrance exam. Some of the institutes however, offer direct admission on the basis of 10+2 marks and proficiency in the English language.
Ques. Which are the entrance exams for applying for a Bachelor Hospital Management program?
Ans. CET or the Common Entrance Test conducted by Maulana Abdul Kalam Azad University of Technology, West Bengal is one of the popular entrance exams for this particular course.
Ques. I am an arts student. Can I pursue this course?
Ans. Yes, arts and even commerce students can apply for this course. All that is required is a functional knowledge of the English language.
Ques. What is the course fee for pursuing Bachelor Hospital Management?
Ans. The average course fees range from INR 42,500 to INR 80,000. The fees vary from college to college.
Ques. What is the role of a Hospital Administrator?
Ans. One of the most common job profiles in hospital management, a Hospital Administrator coordinates with the different departments in a hospital to provide the best medical care to a patient. A Hospital Administrator has to supervise and guide the staff involved in managing the day-to-day running of the different services in the hospitals. They ensure that the resources are utilised most efficiently.
Ques. What are the future prospects of doing Bachelor Hospital Management?
Ans. Bachelor Hospital Management has numerous future prospects. One of the fastest growing fields, one can easily land up a job in the healthcare sector. Beyond jobs, there are numerous postgraduate programs like MBA Hospital Administration, Masters in Hospital Management, PG Diploma in Hospital and Health management, PG Diploma in Health & Law and so on. One may even take up M.Phil or PhD programs and seek a career in academics. Those with family business in running hospitals can also take up this course.
Ques. What are some of the job profiles in this profession?
Ans. Some of the popular job profiles in hospital management are Hospital Manager, Administrator, Hospital Super, Hospital Dean, Patient Relation Executive and Healthcare Auditor.
Ques. Which are the top organizations for a career in hospital management?
Ans. There are numerous hospitals and healthcare institutions where one may seek a career in this field. Some of the reputed hospitals in this field are Apollo Hospitals, Fortis, Wockhardt, Max, Tata Memorial, AIIMS, PGIMER Chandigarh and CMC Vellore.
Ques. What are the average salaries offered to a fresher from this field?
Ans. Depending upon the college, the average placement may vary anywhere from INR 2 lakh to 5 lakh per annum. However, with experience, the salary can rise even up to INR 15 lakh and beyond. Those at the highest level, get salaries in excess of INR 15 lakh.