BHM or Bachelor of Hospitality Management is a three to four years long undergraduate programme designed to train individuals to be working professionals in the hospitality industry. Candidates get to learn and sharpen their interpersonal skills, communication skills, customer service skills and develop a keen business sense with a meticulous nature.
Check the full list of top Hospitality Management colleges in India.
The minimum eligibility criteria for admission to BHM is 10+2 level from a recognized board of education with at least 50% aggregate score. Candidates from Science and Commerce background are preferred, however, candidates from all the streams are eligible for admission.
Admissions to Bachelor of Hospitality Management programmes are done either through an entrance examination or on merit-basis. The candidates will have to cross the cutoff marks to get admitted to the course. Some of the most popular Entrance Exams for this course are NCHMCT Entrance Exam, AIHMCT WAT, etc.
The average course fee for BHM is around INR 3,00,000. There are many top ranked Hotel and Hospitality Management Colleges in India which offer this course.
The top five Bachelor of Hospitality Management colleges in the country, as per India Today’s 2019 rankings are as follows.
|India Today Rank 2019||College Name||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Package|
|2||Welcomgroup Graduate School of Hotel Administration, Manipal||Entrance Test||INR 1,76,500||INR 6,20,000|
|6||Banarsidas Chandiwala Institute of Hotel Management & Catering Technology, New Delhi||Merit-Based||INR 1,12,000||INR 2,50,000|
|9||Army Institute of Hotel Management & Catering Technology, Bengaluru||Entrance Test||INR 1,81,750||INR 3,60,000|
|11||Department of Hotel Management Christ University, Bengaluru||Entrance Test||INR 1,57,500||INR 6,85,000|
|21||AIMS Institutes, Bengaluru||Merit-Based||INR 1,20,000||INR 4,92,000|
|30||Guru Nanak Institute of Hotel Management (GNIHM), Kolkata||Entrance Test||INR 1,98,000||-|
Some of the important subjects taught in this course include Food Production, Beverage Production, Accommodation Operations, etc. Students get to intern at and train at high rated hotels and resorts in order to graduate from the programme.
Upon graduation, candidates are hired in the positions of Cruise Staff, Hotel and Resort Manager, Event Manager, Travel Counsellor etc. The average starting salary is between INR 3,00,000 to INR 5,00,000.
After Completing BHM, if a candidate wishes to study further, he or she can do a Master's in Hospitality Management. He or She can also opt for an MBA Hospitality degree.
BHM Admission Process
The admission process for BHM is completed either through merit-basis or through an entrance examination. For merit-based admission, the candidate’s 10+2 aggregate score is considered. The details of both methods of admissions along with a step by step guide to go through each method has been described below.
For merit-based admissions to BHM courses, colleges release cut-off lists. Anyone who is able to meet the cut off criteria can apply for admissions. AIMS Institutes in Bengaluru is a top BHM college that offers merit-based admissions. The step by step process for the same has been elaborated below.
- Step 1: Online registration: When the application dates are announced by the college, apply using the college’s online portal or in-person by visiting the campus. An account needs to be created using phone number, email-id etc.
- Step 2: Fill-up details: Fill up the application form with all previous educational details and personal details like address, phone number etc.
- Step 3: Upload documents: Scan and upload documents like mark-sheets to the portal. Documents must be in a specific size and format only to be accepted. Once done, click submit.
- Step 4: Application fee: A nominal application fee is to be paid to process the application. Payment can be done using all online methods.
- Step 5: Admission: Institutes will take a couple of weeks to process and evaluate all applications. Candidates who pass the eligibility criteria are informed of the same who can then take admission at the college.
Entrance Exam Based Admission
Entrance examination based admissions are done in most colleges. Some top Bachelor of Hospitality Management colleges following this method include CIHMCT Chandigarh, Welcomgroup Graduate School of Hotel Administration, etc. The details to take admission through an entrance exam are as follows.
- Step 1: Online registration: Register online for admission when the application window opens up. Provide details like email id and phone number for communication purposes.
- Step 2: Fill-up details: Fill up the application form with care to ensure accuracy. Details of all academic details, projects, diplomas etc. must be entered.
- Step 3: Upload documents: Upload all mark sheets and other relevant documents to the portal. The correct format and size must be looked into. Click submit once done.
- Step 4: Application fee: Colleges require a one-time payment of an application fee/examination fee. Payment can be done using all major online methods of payment.
- Step 5: Admit card: Colleges will evaluate the applications and issue admit cards to the candidates. Admit cards must be downloaded and printed to be taken along on the day of the examination.
- Step 6: Examination: Prepare for the examination and appear for the examination.
- Step 7: Results and admission: Results are announced after a couple of weeks have passed. Successful candidates will be informed through email. They can then take admission in the college.
BHM Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for admission into the BHM is not exhaustive and differs from college to college. The general eligibility criteria are as follows.
- Candidates must be 10+2 level pass out in any stream and subject.
- A minimum aggregate score of 50% must have been scored.
- Candidates who are awaiting results of their examinations can also apply.
- Some institutes have an upper age limit, around 22 years of age, for admission too.
BHM Entrance Exams
Detailed below are some of the entrance exams for admission into Bachelor of Hospitality Management.
- NCHMCT: National Council for Hotel Management and Catering Technology or NCHMCT conducts an annual joint entrance examination together with IGNOU for admission into BHM programmes.
- AIHMCT WAT: Army Institute of Hotel Management & Catering Technology written entrance examination is referred to as AIHMCT WAT.
- WGSHA: The entrance examination for Welcomgroup Graduate School of Hotel Administration is called WGSHA. The annual exam is held in multiple cities all across the country.
- CUET: Christ University’s Department of Hotel Management admits students through its annual entrance examination.
The important dates of application, examination dates and mode of exam for above mentioned examinations are stated below.
|Exam Name||Application Period||Exam Date||Exam Mode|
|NCHMCT||May 15, 2020||Postponed||Online|
|AIHMCT WAT||July 18, 2020||July 25, 2020||Online|
|WGSHA||July 15, 2020||August 7, 2020||Online|
|CUET||April 20, 2020 to May 11, 2020||April 26, 2020 and May 17, 2020||Online|
How to Prepare for BHM Entrance Exams?
Bachelor of Hospitality Management entrance examinations have different syllabi and paper patterns for each exam. Some preparation tips to aid the candidates have been stated below.
- Most BHM entrance tests have a numerical section where basic mathematical knowledge is tested. One needs to brush up on the maths syllabus taught at the 10th standard and 12th standard.
- There is also a reasoning and logical deduction section that will require candidates to practice past year papers to understand the types of questions asked.
- For the general knowledge and current affairs section, newspapers and the latest news must be read daily. General knowledge topics to cover would include history, geography, basic science etc.
- It is recommended for students to practice past papers while timing themselves. In order to answer the questions better and to not miss out on any question, this step is especially important.
- There is also a standard English section. Since BHM requires candidates to have above par communication skills, scoring well in this section is important. Grammar, Sentence Building, etc. must be practised.
Read more on NCHMCT JEE Question Paper Pattern.
How to Get Admission in a Good BHM College?
To gain admission in a high ranking BHM programme, the following pointers can be relied upon.
- For institutes that admit on merit-basis, a high score at the 12th standard is sufficient to bag a seat. A score of at least 60% and above will help candidates stand out from other candidates.
- Similarly, securing a good score at the entrance examinations is necessary for admission through entrance exams.
- Brush up on general knowledge like basic history, geography, science etc. These subjects are asked at the entrance tests as well as in a personal interview round, if held.
- Keeping an eye out for cut-off lists, eligibility criteria, application and examination dates is important. Changes made, if any, are announced through the institute's website.
- Practice must be started as early as possible to ensure there is enough time to cover the entire syllabus.
BHM: What is it About?
Details about the Bachelor of Hospitality Management programme are written below.
- BHM is a professional course where graduates are immediately hired into the industry upon graduation.
- It involves everything about hospitality, hotel administration and tourism. The course involves the study of topics like Food and Beverage Production, Accommodation, Housekeeping, Food and Beverage Supply Management, etc.
- It is a hands-on programme where a lot of physical training and live sessions are held to help learn essential skills pertaining to the hotel and hospitality sector. As such BHM is pursued full-time at colleges.
- The delivery of this programme is through training sessions with industry experts and internships in hotels and resorts. Students get a lot of industry ready skills and experience before getting placed.
- Graduates from this programme are hired in a number of sectors in the hospitality industry like food and beverage, travel and tourism, marketing, hotels, resorts, cruise ships etc.
- If one wishes postgraduate degrees in the same specialization, Master of Hospitality Management or MBA and PGDM courses can also be pursued as post graduation.
BHM Course Highlights
The highlights for the BHM course are as given below.
|Full Form||Bachelor of Hospitality Management|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||10+2 from a recognized Board of education with a minimum aggregate score of 50%|
|Admission Process||Entrance Examination with a round of counselling|
|Course Fee||INR 1,50,000 to INR 5,00,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 3,00,000 to INR 5,00,000.|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Radisson Blu, Taj Hotels, Lemon Tree Hotels, Fairmont, Courtyard by Marriot, ITC|
|Job Positions||Cruise staff, hotel and resort manager, event manager, travel counsellor|
Why Should You Study BHM?
The reasons to pursue a BHM course will depend on the individual’s goals and aims. Some of the general reasons why a Bachelor of Hospitality Management should be pursued are as follows.
- Unlimited career choices: BHM graduates are able to be hired in various different types of job areas from hotels, cruise ships, resorts etc. One can also get hired in the event management sector, travel and tourism sector too. There is no limit to the job opportunities available to an individual with a BHM degree.
- Travel opportunities: Hospitality management offers attractive travel opportunities for work. If one is lucky, employment opportunities can be explored in and gained a satisfactory pay grade. This helps expand the mind and outlook of the individual and resume too.
- High pay: The hospitality industry is a high demand industry that takes a lot of time and effort. Work hours are long but rewarding at the same time in terms of pay. The starting average salary range is from INR 3,00,000 and upwards. The final salary package will depend on the individual’s skills and experience.
- Essential customer care skills: BHM graduates learn many different essential skills like customer care, teamwork, leadership and organizational skills. A lot of soft and hard skills are taught to individuals to survive in the industry. Learning the right skills will in having flexibility and ability to make a difference in the organization.
Two of the closest courses to BHM are Bachelor of Hotel Management and BSc in Hospitality. We have compared these courses one by one below.
BSc in Hospitality vs BHM
A detailed comparison between BSc in Hospitality and Bachelor of Hospitality Management is stated below.
|Parameters||BSc in Hospitality||Bachelor of Hospitality Management|
|Overview||It is a three-year undergraduate course in hospitality and tourism. It is more of an academic course which is mainly concentrated in the theoretical study of the hospitality sector.||It is a three to four years course in various avenues of hospitality management. It is a professional course which is more concentrated on hands-on experience through physical training, live sessions and internship.|
|Focus Area||Focus is on practical skills.||Focus is on practical and personal skills.|
|Admission Criteria||Admission is through entrance exams and merit basis.||Admission is through entrance tests and merit basis.|
|Eligibility Criteria||One must be at least 12th pass out from any stream with 50% aggregate score minimum.||10+2 levels pass out from any stream with at least 50% and above aggregate score.|
|Average Course Fees||INR 60,000 to INR 5,00,000||INR 1,50,000 to INR 5,00,000|
|Areas of employment||Catering, Airlines, Human Resources of Hotels, Tourism etc.||Hotels, Resorts, Cruise Ships, Event Management, Airports etc.|
|Average Placement Package||INR 2,00,000 to INR 10,00,000.||INR 3,00,000 to INR 15,00,000.|
Source: College Websites
Check the full list of BSc Hospitality Colleges in India.
Bachelor of Hotel Management vs Bachelor of Hospitality Management
A side by side comparison for Bachelor of Hotel Management course and Bachelor of Hospitality Management is as follows.
|Parameters||Bachelor of Hotel Management||Bachelor of Hospitality Management|
|Overview||It is a standard UG programme that provides employment to students in the hotel industry. It is concentrated on the study of Hotel Administration and Management only.||It is a three to four years long UG programme that enables students to get employed in the hospitality industry. It includes not only the study of hotels, but the study of the tourism, beverage industry, and hospitality sector as a whole.|
|Focus Area||Focus is on learning strong hospitality skills.||Focus is on developing interpersonal and customer care skills.|
|Admission Criteria||Admission is through entrance exams.||Admission is through entrance tests and merit basis.|
|Eligibility Criteria||Candidates must be 12th pass with a high aggregate score from any stream.||10+2 levels pass out from any stream with at least 50% and above aggregate score.|
|Average Course Fees||INR 3,00,000 to INR 5,00,000||INR 3,00,000 to INR 5,00,000|
|Areas of employment||Hotels, Motels, Resorts, Airlines etc.||Hotels, Resorts, Cruise Ships, Event Management, Airports etc.|
|Average Placement Package||INR 3,00,000 to INR 6,00,000||INR 3,00,000 to INR 5,00,000|
Source: College Websites
Check the full list of top Hotel Management Colleges in India.
BHM Course Specializations
Food and Beverage Management: Food and Beverage management overlooks the quality of food, expenses, managing of the in-house restaurant and bar etc. The manager is also responsible for maintaining sufficient stock levels, budgeting and managing the staff.
|Average Fees||INR 50,000 to INR 1,00,000|
|Average Placement Package||INR 3,00,000|
Tourism Management: Tourism Management specialization allows candidates to work as travel agents, travel managers, operation managers etc. All aspects of travel management are taught and managed by graduates from this programme.
|Average Fees||INR 3,000 to INR 12,000|
|Average Placement Package||INR 4,00,000|
Hospitality Marketing: Hospitality Marketing is a programme that teaches about the application of marketing concepts and its principles in the hospitality industry. Organizations like hotels, restaurants, travel agencies etc. are where candidates are hired in to promote the business and help bring in more customers.
|Average Fees||INR 10,000 to INR 20,000|
|Average Placement Package||INR 3,50,000|
BHM Top Colleges
The top 20 colleges in the country offering a BHM course, as per NIRF’s 2020 Overall rankings, are given below.
|NIRF Rank 2020||College Name||City||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Package|
|14||Welcomgroup Graduate School of Hotel Administration, Manipal||Manipal||INR 1,76,000||INR 6,20,000.|
|19||Savitribai Phule Pune University||Pune||INR 43,448||INR 4,90,000|
|36||Andhra University||Visakhapatnam||INR 98,000||INR 4,45,000|
|38||Siksha `O` Anusandhan||Bhubaneswar||INR 85,000||INR 3,50,000|
|44||Panjab University||Chandigarh||INR 63,132||INR 5,93,000|
|63||Amity University||Noida||INR 95,000||INR 3,60,000|
|92||SVKM`s Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies||Mumbai||INR 2,27,000||INR 4,80,000|
|98||Bharati Vidyapeeth||Pune||INR 1,00,000||INR 3,00,000|
|99||Lovely Professional University||Jalandhar||INR 1,56,000||INR 3,50,000|
|-||Guru Nanak Institute of Hotel Management (GNIHM)||Kolkata||INR 1,98,000||-|
Source: College Websites
BHM College Comparison
For the convenience of candidates for admissions, a comparison between the top three BHM colleges has been done below.
|Parameters||Welcomgroup Graduate School of Hotel Administration, Manipal||Banarsidas Chandiwala Institute of Hotel Management & Catering Technology, New Delhi||Army Institute of Hotel Management & Catering Technology, Bengaluru|
|Overview||WGSHA is a part of the Manipal Academy of Higher Education and the top rated institute by many ranking agencies. It was established in 1986.||BCIHMCT is one of the premier hospitality management institutes located in New Delhi. It was established in 1999.||AIHMCT is located in Bengaluru and is one of the top institutes in its region. The institute has been educating students since 1996.|
|Rank||IndiaToday: 2||IndiaToday: 6||IndiaToday: 9|
|Average Fee||INR 1,76,000||INR 1,12,000||INR 1,81,750|
|Average Placement Package||INR 6,20,000||INR 2,50,000||INR 3,60,000|
|Top Recruiters||ITC Hotels, The Oberoi Group, Marriott, Taj Hotels, Qatar Airways, The Park Hotels, etc.||InterContinental Hotel Group, Taj Hotels, Resorts and Palaces, ITC, Ibibo Group, Madura F&L, Delhi International Airport (GMR) etc.||The Ritz Carlton, The Leela Hotels, Resorts, Palaces, The Oberoi Group, Oakwood Worldwide, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts etc.|
Source: College Websites
The syllabus for the BHM course will be different from institute to institute. The general subjects, however, remain the same more or less. The basic syllabus for the entire BHM course is stated below.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Foundation Course in Food Production I||Foundation Course in Food Production II|
|Foundation Course in Food & Beverage Service I||Foundation Course in Food & Beverage Service II|
|Foundation Course in Front Office - I||Foundation Course in Front Office II|
|Foundation Course in Accommodation Operations I||Foundation Course in Accommodation Operations II|
|Application of Computers||Nutrition|
|Principles of Food Science||Communication|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Food & Beverage Production – III||Additional Language I|
|Food & Beverage Service - III||Additional Language II (Foreign Language)|
|Front Office - II||Food & Beverage Production – IV|
|Housekeeping - II||Food & Beverage Service – IV|
|Fundamentals of Computers||Front Office - III|
|---||Housekeeping – III|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Industrial Practical||Food & Beverage Production Operations|
|Project Report on Operational||Food & Beverage Service Operations|
|Aspects of Star Hotels||Front Office Operations|
|---||Sales & Marketing Operations|
|---||Hotel Economics & Statistics|
|Semester VII||Semester VIII|
|Food and Beverage Production Management||Allied Hospitality Management|
|Food and Beverage Service Management||Accommodations Management|
|Travel & Tourism Management||Marketing of Hospitality Services|
|Hotel Costing||Financial Management in Hotels|
|Organizational Behavior||Project on Marketing Feasibility & Financial Viability|
|Entrepreneurship Development||Computers in Hospitality Services – II|
|Computers in Hospitality Services – I||---|
BHM Job Prospects and Career Options
- After graduating with a Bachelor of Hospitality Management degree the career options are limitless.
- One can either choose to go for employment or enrol in higher education for a Masters degree in the same field or in a different field.
- Some industries where BHM graduates are hired regularly are the airlines and Railways, Travel Agencies, Event Management Companies, Casinos, Cruise Companies, Theme Parks, Concert Venues, Hotels, Resorts etc.
- The average salary range for BHM graduates is in the range of INR 3,00,000 to INR 5,00,000. The final salary package will depend on the skill-set and experience of the candidate.
- The names of some of the popular hiring organizations are Radisson Blu, Taj Hotels, Lemon Tree Hotels, Fairmont, Courtyard by Marriot, ITC etc.
The details of some of the common job profiles for a BHM degree holder along with the average salary of the profile are as follows.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary|
|Cruise Staff||An Assistant Cruise Director helps the host staff upon greeting the passengers each time they arrive on board as well as when they disembark. The position is meant to portray a constant social presence and leadership to passengers onboard.||INR 6,00,000|
|Hotel and Resort Manager||Typical job duties of Resort Managers include reviewing finances, overseeing hiring practices, holding meetings with the facility's various department heads, greeting and interacting with resort guests and checking on necessary supplies in various sectors of the resort.||INR 12,00,000|
|Event Manager||Event Managers identify potential business, research, write, plan and run all aspects of exhibitions on behalf of a client or in their own organization.||INR 3,50,000|
|Travel Counselor||Corporate Travel Counselors work in a variety of settings helping clients plan and book trips. Their job is to ensure that all business trips that employees take are planned out, and that all bookings are made timely.||INR 4,00,000|
BHM Future Scope
- A BHM graduate has numerous options for higher studies, if they wish to do so after graduation. For candidates who choose to work instead, job opportunities are plenty too.
- Some of the popular higher studies options include Masters of Hospitality Management, MBA or PGDM, Law programmes or preparing for competitive examinations.
- Master of Hospitality Management, the two-year postgraduate degree in hospitality or hotel management, is the first choice of higher studies for BHM graduates. The programme is delivered full time and expands on the learnings of the bachelor’s degree. Candidates get to specialize in a hospitality management area of choice. The average placement package is between the range of INR 3 to INR 8 lacs for an MHM degree holder.
- Many candidates choose to go for the management route and opt to get admitted to an MBA Hospitality or a PGDM degree. Admissions are done through a national level entrance examination like CAT or MAT. In terms of specialization choice, one can choose to get an MBA degree in hospitality management or general specializations like Finance, Marketing etc. Job opportunities are endless for a BHM holder with an MBA degree.
- Law: Some candidates choose to delve into the law field and obtain a law degree. BHM graduates are eligible for the shortened programme of 3 to 3-4 Years as opposed to the regular 5 year UG course. One can get hired as judges and lawyers in private or public organizations upon graduation.
Ques. What is the eligibility criteria for BHM?
Ans. A candidate needs to pass a 10+2 pass out with at least 55% aggregate score and above to get admitted in any college.
Ques. What is the average course fee for the programme?
Ans. The average course fees for BHM is between 3 to INR 10 lacs annually.
Ques. What are the popular entrance exams for BHM admissions?
Ans. The popular entrance exams one can prepare for BHM admissions are NCHMCT, AIHMCT WAT, WGSHA and CUET.
Ques. What are the masters courses one can do after a BHM?
Ans. After completing BHM one can study Master of Hospitality Management, MBA or a law degree.
Ques. What are some job profiles a BHM graduate gets hired in?
Ans. A BHM graduate can get hired as cruise staff, hotel and resort manager, event manager, travel counselor etc.
Ques. What are the top colleges to study BHM at?
Ans. Some of the top institutes that offer BHM degree are Welcomgroup Graduate School of Hotel Administration, Banarsidas Chandiwala Institute of Hotel Management & Catering Technology, New Delhi, Army Institute of Hotel Management & Catering Technology, Bengaluru etc.
Ques. What are some specializations of a BHM programme?
Ans. One can choose from event management, food and beverage management, travel and tourism management etc.
Ques. What should the 12th standard stream be for admission into BHM?
Ans. There is no specification for the 12th standard stream for admissions.