BMS Course Details
Bachelor of Management Studies or BMS Course is a 3-year undergraduate course, involving an advance study of the management practices used in business and corporate firms, along with studying basic concepts in human resource, economics and business studies.
BMS course duration of 3-years consist of 6 semesters, at an interval of 6 months between each semester. As for BMS minimum eligibility, aspiring candidates need to attain a minimum aggregate score of 50% in Class 12, for applying to this course.
BMS Course Top Colleges Fees in India
|College Name||Fees (INR)|
|St Xaviers College, Kolkata||78,200|
|Deen Dayal Upadhyaya College, New Delhi||23,345|
|Shaheed Sukhdev College of Business Studies, New Delhi||14,025|
|Ramanujan College, New Delhi||27,740|
|Shri Guru Gobind Singh College of Commerce, New Delhi||45,000|
|St Francis College for Women, Hyderabad||10,000|
|Keshav Mahavidyalaya, New Delhi||14,836|
|St Xavier’s College, Mumbai||36,000|
BMS Admission is offered on the basis of the candidate’s performance in Class 12 as well as entrance exams. Esteemed universities like Delhi University admit students through their entrance exam, DU JAT, followed by subsequent rounds of counseling.
Check: BMS Admission 2021
Government university course fee for BMS course is under INR 1.5 Lakhs. In private universities BMS course fees can go up to INR 3 Lakhs. After BMS, candisates can expect lucrative employment opportunities in leading public and private sector organizations in various job roles such as Bankers, Budget Planners, Quality Specialists, etc.
The initial salary after BMS can be expected around INR 15,000-50,000, depending upon the scale of the organization and the candidate’s expertise. After BMS, students are eligible to pursue many master courses such as PGDM, MBA and other professional courses.
BMS Course Highlights
|BMS Full Form||Bachelor of Management Studies|
|BMS Course Duration||3 years|
|BMS Course Eligibility||Class 12 with a minimum of 45% to 50%|
|BMS Admission Process||Merit and/or Entrance Exams|
|BMS Examination Type||Semester Type|
|BMS Course Fees||Under 1.5 Lakhs|
|BMS Course Salary||INR 3-8 LPA|
|BMS Course Job Positions||Banker, Quality Specialist, Business Development Manager, Teacher & Lecturer, Business Analyst, Finance Officer, Assistant Professor, and such.|
|BMS Course Top Recruiting Areas||Business Firms, Academic Institutions, Marketing and Sales, Banks, Finance and Retailing, Self-Employment, Consultancy, etc.|
BMS Course Admission 2021
Most of the colleges admit students on the basis of their performance in class 12. Some institutes conduct entrance exams to admit prospective students, like Delhi University, Mumbai University, among others.
Admission process generally varies across colleges, but the main process involves one of the following:
- Direct Admission, based on Merit.
- Through Performance in the Entrance Exams, followed by subsequent rounds of interview and counselling conducted by the concerned university/institute.
The round of counseling comprises 2 additional rounds of Group Discussion and Personal Interview, wherein the candidate’s general aptitude for the course is tested. A merit list is then released by the institute, allocating seats to the qualifying candidates.
BMS Course Eligibility
Listed below is the minimum criteria of eligibility that interested candidates need to fulfill in order to apply for the course.
- A Higher Secondary (Class 12) qualification from a recognized educational Board.
- A minimum aggregate score of 50%(General) and 45%(SC/ST) at the 10+2 level.
- Students who opted for the Commerce stream are generally given preference, although students from Science or Arts streams are also welcome to apply for the course.
BMS Course Entrance Exams
Entrance exams are conducted either by the university or separately by the colleges or institutes to screen students for the admission process. Class 12 marks are also considered.
- DU JAT: DU JAT is conducted by Delhi University for admission into various courses, including BMS course.
- AIMA UGAT: AIMA UGAT is conducted by All India Management Association (AIMA) to screen the capable candidates for admission in various courses, including BMS course.
- MUCMET: Mumbai University Common Management Entrance Test (MUCMET) is conducted every year for admission to the Integrated BMS+MBA course offered at Mumbai’s Thane Sub Campus.
BMS Entrance Exams: Best Preperation Tips
Students should focus on the syllabus and practice more of the topics in which you are weaker.
The syllabus of most of the entrance exams usually consist of:
- Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension
- Quantitative Aptitude
- Logical / Abstract Reasoning
- General Awareness
- General English
BMS Course: What is it About?
- This is the undergraduate course in Management Studies which has been designed to offer to eligible students specialization in a wide range of managerial skills, and training in management efficiency and productivity.
- It also builds competence in a particular area of business management in the corporate world.
Aims & Objectives of Bachelor of Management Studies:
- The program aims to educate enrolled students about the basic concepts of the academic discipline of Human Resource Management, such as employee retention, labor relations, etc. and the application of such knowledge in the field for improving management efficiency.
- One of the principal objectives of the program is to expose students practically to the behavioral aspects of an organization and on the hierarchy-based interaction of the same.
- The course offers candidates the opportunity to acquire leadership qualities essential in managing and working in a team, and also to improve the presentation and problem-solving skills that can help prepare students for prospective managerial roles.
- Such effective management skills are essential to building and maintaining productive and innovative work and corporate environments.
BMS Course: Why Should You Pursue It?
BMS course is considered a perfect course for students who wants to make themselves comfortable in the corporate and business management field because graduates are gone through the required training and gain the required skill set to work efficiently.
BMS Degree Skills Required
- Students are taught different learning management techniques and are able to communicate effectively with diverse audiences, using a variety of technological/non- technological formats.
- They become proficient in implementing appropriate practices, encouraging team building, and mentoring junior members of the group.
- They are interested in researching, planning, and developing procedures and processes in order to ensure optimal organizational performance.
BMS Degree Career Growth and Personal Growth:
- BMS course opens the path towards the management field in various sectors, which could be private or government. You will get good opportunities to work in project management, finance, product management, business development and many more.
- The average starting salary of BMS graduates is around INR 3-6 Lakhs, and after getting enough experience and skills, you can earn more than INR 10 LPA.
- Your personality development also takes place while working on different projects, handling everything from the management scenario, and you attain skills like time management, team building which directly or indirectly will help you in your personal growth.
BMS Course vs BBA: Which is Better?
Both these courses are management courses and is widely provided by many universities across India. They are somewhat similar but the brand name of BBA is much higher as compared to BMS. Below table lists the basic differences between them:
|Parameters||Bachelor of Management Studies (BMS)||Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)|
|Orientation||Analytical and logic-oriented studies||Study and application of basic management core subjects|
|Course Overview||BMS course subjects impart management skills and knowledge with the help of classroom training and practicals.||BBA course is one of the common management courses which provides essential knowledge of the fields like Marketing, Operations, Finance, Human Resources, and others.|
|Average Fees||INR 1-2 Lakhs||INR 1-3 Lakhs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2-4 LPA||INR 3-5 LPA|
|Top Colleges||St. Xavier’s, Narsee Monjee College of Commerce & Economics, Shaheed Sukhdev College of Business Studies, etc.||Loyola College, Christ University, Madras Christian College, etc|
Both BBA and BMS are considered the same course with different names, which opens same career prospects and career options.
BMS Course vs BCom: Which is Better?
Both these are undergraduate degrees, having different domains. Check out the table below to know more:
|Course Overview||BMS course is more focussed on the subjects related to general management and business administration studies.||BCom course mainly focuses on Accounting and Finance subjects, and impart knowledge in these subjects.|
|Subjects offered||Principles of Management, Marketing studies, HR Management, Cost Accounting, Environment Management, etc.||Accounting & Finance management Cost management Auditing Economics, etc.|
|Average Fees||INR 1-2 Lakhs||Under 1.2 Lakhs|
|Average Salary||INR 2-5 Lakhs||INR 2-4 Lakhs|
|Career Prospects||Financial Analyst, Business Development Executive, Project Manager (IT), Human Resources Manager, etc.||Accountant, Tax consultant, Bookkeeper,|
|Top Colleges||Shaheed Sukhdev College of Business Studies, Jai Hind College, Madras Christian College, etc.||SRCC, Hindi College, Kirori Mal, Christ University, Mithibai College of Arts, etc.|
BMS Course Top Colleges in India
A number of institutes in India offer the course, out of which, some of the top colleges and institutes are listed below, along with the corresponding locations and average annual course fees charged by each.
|College Name||Average Total Fees|
|Jai Hind College, Mumbai||INR 56,515|
|St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai||INR 92,378|
|Shaheed Sukhdev College of Business Studies (SSCBS), New Delhi||INR 42,075|
|Deen Dayal Upadhyay College, New Delhi||INR 61,275|
|Sri Guru Govind Singh College of Commerce, New Delhi||INR 78,200|
|Keshav Mahavidyalaya, New Delhi||INR 43,758|
|College of Vocational Studies, New Delhi||INR 30,450|
|Narsee Monjee College of Commerce & Economics, Mumbai||INR 19,653|
|KJ Somaiya College of Arts & Commerce, Mumbai||INR 71,755|
|HR College of Commerce & Economics, Mumbai||INR 53,586|
|St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata||INR 2,23,000|
BMS Colleges in Pune
BMS Colleges in Mumbai
|College Name||Fees (INR)|
|Alkesh Dinesh Mody Institute for Financial and Management Studies||16,890|
|Narsee Monjee College of Commerce and Economics||4,941|
|Usha Praveen Gandhi College of Management||17,390|
|Whistling Woods International||5,00,000|
|Oriental College of Commerce and Management||29,500|
|St Xaviers College, Mumbai||36,000|
|HR College of Commerce and Economics||17,862|
|St Andrews College of Arts, Science and Commerce||17,787|
|RA Podar College of Commerce and Economics||24,775|
|Kirti M Doongursee College of Arts Science and Commerce||19,531|
|Sydenham College of Commerce and Economics||17,185|
|Nagindas Khandwala College||16,871|
|Jai Hind College||20,730|
|Sri Guru Gobind Singh College of Commerce||44,200|
BMS Colleges in DU
|College Name||Fees (INR)|
|Deen Dayal Upadhyaya College||16,280|
|Shaheed Sukhdev College of Business Studies||540|
|Sri Guru Gobind Singh College of Commerce||44,200|
|Sri Guru Teg Bahadur Khalsa College||20,000|
|College of Vocational Studies||10,150|
|B. R. Ambedkar College||13,797|
|Maharaja Agrasen College||11,000|
BMS College Comparison
|Parameters||St. Xavier’s, Mumbai||SSCBS, New Delhi||Narsee Monjee College of Commerce & Economics, Mumbai|
|College Overview||St. Xavier College is a private college affiliated to University of Mumbai offering many UG, PG and diploma courses in Arts, Commerce & Business studies.||Shaheed Sukhdev College of Business Studies or SSCBS is situated in New Delhi and offers many UG & PG courses in Management, Commerce, Cyber Security, Computer Science etc.||NMCCE was established in 1964. It is affiliated to the University of Mumbai and offers BSc, BCom, BMS courses.|
|Average Fees||INR 92,378||INR 42,075||INR 19,653|
|Average Salary||INR 8-12 LPA||INR 5-16 LPA||INR 3.5-9 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Companies||JP Morgan, Visa, Brain, Accenture, Zilingo, AT Kearney, Citibank, Chase, Wipro, Deloitte, etc.||Google, Brain Capability Center, DE Shaw, Deloitte, BlackRock, EY, Birla, Brain Capability Center, E&Y, CBRE, KPMG, etc.|
BMS SyllabusBMS course syllabus is divided into 6 semesters, teaching subjects like Business Law, Marketing, Finance, and much more.
Tabulated below is a semester-wise breakup of the course’s syllabus.
|BMS Subjects Sem 1||BMS Subjects Sem 2|
|Foundation of Human Skill-l||Foundation of Human Skill-ll|
|Finance and Cost Accounting||Industrial Law|
|Business Law||Computer Application in Business;|
|Quantitative Methods for Business-1||Business Environment|
|Effective Communication-l||Managerial Economics-l|
|Principles of Management-l||Production Management|
|Introduction to Computers||Environmental Management|
|BMS Subjects Sem 3||BMS Subjects Sem 4|
|Management Accounting||International Marketing|
|Managerial Economics-2||Elements of Direct and Indirect Taxes|
|Marketing Management||Export-Import Procedures and Documentation|
|Materials Management||Management of Small Scale Industries|
|Effective Communication-2||Productivity and Quality Management|
|Principles of Management- 2||Public Relations Management|
|Management Accounting||International Marketing|
|BMS Subjects Sem 5||BMS Subjects Sem 6|
|Human Resource Management||Entrepreneurship|
|Service Sector Management||Quantitative Method of Business-2|
|Financial Management||Marketing Research|
|Elements of Logistics Management||Indian Management Thought and Practices|
|Management of Co-operatives||Econometrics or International Finance (Elective Paper – 1)|
|Rural Marketing||Special Study in Finance or Special Study in Marketing (Elective Paper – 2)|
|Project Work 1||Project Work-2|
Read More: BMS Syllabus & Course Structure
BMS Degree Subjects
|Introduction to management||It provides a brief introduction to the critical management skills It helps students understand the relationship between managing and being managed. It helps them to become a more effective contributor to organizations that they join.|
|Human Resource Management||It explores the principles of leading and managing people efficiently. In this field, students access HR policy and practice in the areas of employment law, job analysis, employee relations and international HRM.|
|Organizational Behavior||It combines different arguments and debates by discussing different elements of organizational structure. It introduces theoretical and research on individual, interpersonal and group effectiveness at work. Course topics can be extended from decision making, leadership, motivation to teamwork|
|Economics for Management||The objective of the course is to show the relation between economics and relations of managerial decision making and how resources are allocated and coordinated to achieve the organizations' objective.|
|Law and Policy||The primary aim of the course is to make students aware of the basic legal concepts and implications affecting business transactions.|
BMS Career and Jobs
Management Studies is a broad field covering areas such as Marketing, HR, Finance, etc., offering eligible candidates diverse job opportunities in business organizations, corporate houses, educational institutes, banks, financial and retailing services, etc.
BMS Top Recruiters
|Phillips India Ltd||Lendingkart|
Upon successful completion of the course, such graduates may even get self-employed, open consultancies, go for entrepreneurial ventures, and can earn an average yearly income ranging between INR 2 to 7 Lakhs initially, which would gradually increase with experience and skillset.
Listed below are some of the popular job avenues open to such graduates, along with the corresponding job duties and the corresponding salaries associated with each role.
- Business Consultants: They typically specialize in a specific area of business management, such as Healthcare or Human Resource, and apply strong research and analytical skills in the profession, as consultants are often hired to help clients improve or fix upon an area of business.
- Finance Manager: They provide and interpret financial information, monitor, interpret cash flows, predict future trends, analyze finance-related change, and advise organizations accordingly.
- Human Resource Manager: They maintain and manage the Human Resource of the organization by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees, and also counseling and disciplining employees, planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
- Teacher: They create lesson plans and teach those plans to the entire class, individually to students or in small groups, track student progress, create and reinforce classroom rules, create tests, work with the school administration, and prepare students for standardized tests.
- Market Research Analyst: While projects are still in the planning stage, Research Officers and Managers work with team members to identify research methods, project goals, variables, and other test parameters, and also choose how to collect data and offer recommendations on evaluating the project.
- Budget Analyst: They work with Program and Project Managers to develop the organization's budget, review managers' budget proposals for completeness, accuracy, and compliance with laws and other regulations, and monitor organizational spending to ensure that it is within budget, and such.
- Marketing Manager: Marketing Manager oversees the marketing scenario of a particular project or multiple projects, making sure that relevant marketing strategies are applied in order to successfully market the product(s).
- Project Manager: Project Manager is responsible for overseeing a particular project and making sure its meeting its targets with respect to wither sales, operations or marketing, etc.
|BMS Job Profile||Average Annual Salary|
|Business Consultants||INR 9.8 LPA|
|Finance Manager||INR 9.99 LPA|
|Human Resource Manager||INR 7.15 LPA|
|Teacher||INR 3.01 LPA|
|Market Research Analyst||INR 3.65 LPA|
|Budget Analyst||INR 6.5 LPA|
|Marketing Manager||INR 7.15 LPA|
|Project Manager||INR 12.54 LPA|
Check: BMS Career, Jobs & Salary
BMS Course Scope
Students after completing their BMS course are exposed to the basics of the corporate world. They acquire team building, problem-solving and strategic thinking skills, target completion, and other skills which are highly appreciated in the corporate world.
Apart from working and growing your career in different files like Finance, Banking, Marketing, Operations, Business Analytics, among others, students have the option of going for higher education as well.
Many students like to study after BMS course to increase their knowledge and employment opportunities. Graduates with master’s and postgraduate degrees and diplomas get better career opportunities comparatively.
You can study further in this domain, or change your domain to pursue something else in fields like commerce, banking, etc.
- PGDM or MBA:
These are the common management courses that BMS graduates prefer to study for greater care prospects and higher salaries. These courses offer various specializations like Supply Chain Management, Marketing, Business Analytics, Operations, etc.
MBA After BMS Students have the option of going for MBA after BMS course. It is of great help for the student to do a master in business management course after BMS Course. While BMS deals with Management Studies, Business Administration trains students with proper market oriented training.
|MBA Duration||2 years|
|MBA Eligibility||More than 50% in any Bachelor Course|
|MBA Fees||INR 5,00,000 - INR 15,00,000|
|MBA Top Recruiters||TCS, TATA, Reliance, Cognizant, Standard Chartered etc|
Master of Management Studies (MMS) provides deeper knowledge and increases the skillset required to work in the corporate world. MMS is commonly pursued by BMS graduates, than other course graduates.
- Certificate Courses:
If you wish to change your domain, you can pursue one of the many certificate courses in fields like Banking, Stock Market, Accounting, Computer Applications, etc. The course duration is around 6 months to 1 year maximum, and you can pursue either full time or part time, as per your convenience.
|Certificate Course in Stock Market||Certificate Course in Financial Accounting & Taxation|
|Certificate Course in Computer Application||Certificate Course in Banking|
- Professional Diploma Courses:
There are many diploma courses also which you can refer to like Business Manager, HR Management, etc. to specialize yourself and become an expert in that field.
Apart from above mentioned courses, you can also go for MCA (Master of Computer Applications) if you have a strong interest in computer programming and languages. You can also get into the government sector, after qualifying relevant examinations.
BMS Course FAQs
Ques. What is the scope of BMS?
Ans. BMS has a huge scope in India because every company prefer professionals from a management background. Therefore, you can grow your career in the corporate world very efficiently after completing your BMS degree. In terms of higher education, you can go for courses like PGDM, MBA, MMS, and other professional certificate and diploma courses.
Ques. What is BMS course fees?
Ans. BMS course can be pursued under INR 1.2 Lakhs from government universities, and under INR 3 Lakhs from private universities. Check BMS Colleges to know full details.
Ques. What are the subjects in BMS?
Ans. BMS course includes subjects such as:
- Strategic management
- Managerial Economics
- Bank Strategy and Management
- Introduction to International Business
- Leadership, and others
Check BMS course Syllabus to know more.
Ques. What is BMS course eligibility?
Ans. Students can pursue BMS course if they have completed their Class 12 from a recognized board with a minimum of 45-50%.
Ques. How can I pursue BMS course from DU?
Ans. You can pursue BMS from Delhi University after meeting the essential eligibility, i.e. a minimum of 50% in Class 12 from a recognized board.
You should appear for DU JAT Exam, followed by Group Discussion & Personal Interview.
Ques. Can I do BMS course from BHU?
Ans. As of now, BHU does not offer a BMS course.
Ques. Is BMS difficult?
Ans. BMS is a professional specialized course in management which takes you to all the studies related to the management practices used in business and corporate firms, and basic concepts in human resource education, economics, and business studies.
Ques. Is there Maths in BMS?
Ans. BMS is a management based course, not a Maths based course. But Maths may be taught as a common subject in the first year.