B.P.Ed or Bachelor of Physical Education is an undergraduate degree program in the domain of sports and fitness. The course is offered to the students who have qualified their 10+2 examinations with a minimum of 50% marks. The course duration is 3 to 4 years. The same course can be pursued by those students who have completed their graduation in any relevant field. In such a case the course duration reduces to 1 to 2 years.
Know More About Teacher Training Courses
Admission to the course is offered either on the basis of an entrance test or on a merit basis. There may be a physical screening round as well for shortlisting students for admission into the course. In the case of an entrance exam, a cumulative score is formed out of the candidate's test score and score obtained by him/her in the physical screening round. In the case of merit-based admission, the score obtained by the candidate in their 10+2 or bachelor's degree program is considered for the admission process.
The course revolves around one's physical as well as mental well being and fitness. It openly discusses the effects of sports and physical activities in day to day life for improved physical and mental health. The course primarily focuses on one's knowledge of various sports.
|Key Highlights of B.P.Ed Course|
|Course duration||1-4 years|
|Eligibility||Candidates must have passed 10+2 examinations from a recognized board or must possess a bachelor’s degree from a recognized college or university.|
|Admission process||Merit-based or entrance exam|
|Academic Calendar||Semester based|
|Popular entrance exams||BHU UET, ITM NEST, LPUNEST|
|Average course fee per year||INR 10,000 to INR 60,000|
|Average annual salary||INR 2.5 Lakhs to INR 5 Lakhs|
|Job profiles||A physical education teacher, sports trainer, personal trainer, gym trainer, soft skill trainer, yoga trainer, coach commentator, sports journalist, fitness in charge, etc.|
|Top recruiting companies||Narayana, Pathways School, Delhi Public School, Revolution Sports Pvt.Ltd, Sports Focus Investments|
Do I qualify B.P.Ed Eligibility criteria?
Students seeking admission to the course must meet up with the following eligibility criteria. Know that the course is offered for different durations hence the eligibility is different as per the duration of the course.
- For 3 to 4-year duration course students who have qualified their 10+2 examinations with minimum 50% marks from any recognized board are eligible.
- For 1 to 2-year duration courses students who have obtained a bachelor’s degree from a recognized college or university with a minimum aggregate of 50% marks are eligible.
- Apart from the above-mentioned criteria, one needs to qualify the physical screening round and the personal interview round conducted by the college or the university.
- One must also have some prior experience in sports and should have participated in sports competitions at inter-college, inter-school, or individual levels.
What is B.P.Ed Admission Process?
Admission to the course is offered either on the basis of an entrance test or on a merit basis. Banaras Hindu University, Lovely Professional University are some of the universities which conduct their own entrance examination in order to shortlist students for admission into the course. Given below is a brief description of the admission process.
- Candidates are required to submit the application to the colleges or universities they are interested in.
- Usually, the admission process commences in the month of June and July. While some colleges shortlist students on the basis of a common entrance test, several others rely on the marks obtained by the student in the qualifying examination.
- In case of an entrance test, students must score above the minimum qualifying score set by the respective college or university.
- A separate physical screening test may also be conducted by the college authorities. The test is conducted to check the physical fitness and capabilities of the person. The test may include activities like Long Jump, Vaulting Horse, Trench, Hurdle, race, etc
- The colleges or universities then declare the result and release a merit list of finally shortlisted candidates on the basis of the written test and physical efficiency test.
- Further, some colleges or universities conduct personal interview rounds to extend the final offer letter of admission to the students.
- After the admission process, the final allotment of seats to the candidates takes place and the candidate is required to deposit the course fee and register for the respective academic year.
- In the case of merit-based admission, the score obtained by the candidate in the qualifying examination is considered for the purpose of granting admission.
What are the Top B.P.Ed Entrance Exams?
Admission to the course is offered either on the basis of an entrance test or on a merit basis. There may be a physical screening round as well. In the case of an entrance exam, a cumulative score is formed out of the candidate's test score and score obtained by him/her in the physical screening round.
Some of the popular entrance exams conducted for admission into the course are given below.
BHU UET: BHU UET is conducted by Banaras Hindu University for shortlisting candidates for providing admission into BA, B.Sc, B.Com, B.Ed, B.P.Ed, LLB, B.VSc, BPA, BFA and another degree program.
Dibrugarh University entrance exam: This is a state-level entrance test conducted by Dibrugarh University. The test is conducted to offer admission to students for various undergraduate and postgraduate degree programs.
ITM-NEST: ITM-NEST is conducted by ITM University Gwalior for shortlisting students for providing admission into various undergraduate and postgraduate degree programs
LPUNEST: LPUNEST is a university level entrance exam conducted by the Lovely Professional University for shortlisting students for providing admission into various courses like Engineering, Law, and MBA. Besides admission, this exam is also treated as a scholarship test.
|Entrance Exam||Entrance Mode||Application Period||Exam Date|
|BHU UET||Computer-based test (online)||January 30 to March 21, 2020||To be announced|
|Dibrugarh University entrance exam||Pen and paper-based test (offline)||In the month of May, June and July 2020||In the month of June and July 2020|
|ITM-NEST||Online and offline||January 30, to April 15, 2020||April 18, 2020, onwards|
|LPUNEST||Computer-based test (online)||In the month of June( ongoing)||Till June 30, 2020|
One of the most important factors responsible for excelling in any entrance exam is to be well aware of the latest exam pattern. Hence one should do thorough research about it in order to develop a clear idea about the exam pattern. Apart from this, one should know the full syllabus of the entrance exam. Mainly there are four sections in almost all the entrance exams conducted for admission into the B.P.Ed degree program.
- General English
- Basic science
- General aptitude and logical reasoning
- General knowledge and current affairs
One can refer to the tips given below in order to perform well in any entrance exam:
- Generally, the entrance exam paper consists of multiple-choice questions. Most exams refrain themselves from negative marking but there are several exams which offer negative marking for every wrong answer.
- The entrance exam consists of simple and basic 10+2 level questions. Hence one must be thorough with the basics.
- English section generally includes reading comprehension, verbal ability, sentence correction, sentence completion, fill in the blanks, etc. The best way to get acquainted with the language is to do as much reading as possible. Apart from this, one must look out for sectional questions from previous year papers and sample papers.
- The science section usually consists of ninth and tenth level questions. Hence one must do a thorough revision of the science topics studied during these classes.
- The aptitude and reasoning section includes questions based on common mental logic. To begin with, one can start by trying to solve simple puzzles. After gaining some knowledge, one can look out for questions given in sample papers.
The B.P.Ed syllabus is designed in such a way that it incorporates the theoretical as well as the practical aspect of the course. The course follows a semester-based academic calendar for the guidelines issued by UGC. There are 2 semesters in a year. The assessment is based on both theory and practical papers. The weightage assigned to both components may vary from college to college. Since the course is sports-based, a certain weightage of marks is allocated for sports activities as well.
The paper name and topics covered under the course are tabulated below:
|Paper name||Topics covered|
|History of physical education||Vedic period, Indus valley civilization, Rome, Greece|
|Culture of Games||Commonwealth Games, Asian Games, Olympic Games, SAF Games, history|
|Anatomy||Growth, principles, factors related to it, the difference between male and female|
|Sports psychology||Body types, aggression, anxiety, and attention|
|Elective course||Any game like Badminton, tennis, cricket, hockey, etc|
The major subjects studied under the course are tabulated below:
|History and foundation of Physical Education||Anatomy, Physiology, and Kinesiology in Physical Education||Motor Learning & Sports Psychology|
|Management in Physical Education||Coaching and Officiating in Sports and Games||Recreation, Camping, Play, and Leadership Training|
|Health Education and Recreation in Physical Education||Statistics and Computer Application in Physical Education||Teaching Practice|
|English and Communication Skills||Educational Psychology, Guidance, and Counselling||Kinesiology and Biomechanics|
|Applied Anatomy and Physiology||Educational Methodology||Sports Management|
|Teaching Methodology in Physical Education||Physiology of Exercise||Measurement and Evaluation|
|Health Education||Applied Computer Education and Statistics in Physical Education||Principles of Sports Training & Yoga|
|Sociology of Sports||Organization and Administration||Contemporary issues in physical education, fitness, and wellness/ Sports Nutrition and Weight|
There are a number of course books that one can refer to the course study. Few of those good reads and course books are listed below:
|Name of the Book||Author’s Name|
|Organization and Administration of Physical Education Recreation and Supervision||Dr. Neeraj Pratap Singh and Dr. Ajay Dubey|
|Officiating and Coaching||Dr. Balwinder Kaur|
|Sports Management||Prof. V. Satyanarayana|
|Sports Nutrition and Weight Management||Dr. Sandeep Bhatia|
|Yoga Education||Dr. Tarak Nath Pramamik|
Read More Detailed B.P.Ed Syllabus
What are the Top B.P.Ed Colleges?
There are various colleges that offer B.P.Ed degree programs across the country. The admission to the course is offered either on the basis of the score obtained in an entrance examination and the physical screening test or on the basis of the marks obtained by the candidate in the qualifying exam.
Some of the top colleges offering the course are given below.
|Name of the institute||Location||Admission Process||Average Fee|
|Lovely Professional University||Jalandhar||LPUNEST||INR 1.06 Lakhs|
|Banaras Hindu University||Varanasi||BHU UET||INR 10,846|
|Chaudhary Charan Singh university||Meerut||Merit-based||INR 1.17 Lakhs|
|Amity university||Noida||Merit-based||INR 1.52 Lakhs|
|University Of Lucknow||Lucknow||Merit-based||INR 1.02 Lakhs|
|Aligarh Muslim University||Aligarh||AMU CET||INR 1.9 Lakhs|
|Vinayaka missions university||Salem||Merit-based||INR 48,200|
|SGGS Khalsa college||Hoshiarpur||Merit-based||INR 95,000|
|Chandigarh university||Chandigarh||CUCET||INR 1.1 Lakhs|
|Lakshmibai national institute of physical education(LNIPE)||Gwalior||CET||INR 86,200|
Quick Look into more B.P.Ed Colleges
Sometimes, due to various reasons, one can not pursue the desired course through regular learning, in such a case distance learning comes to rescue. Students can pursue a B.P.Ed through distance education mode. Students must check for the validity of the course and the college in distance or correspondence mode.
- In order to be eligible for this course through correspondence mode students need to pass their 10+2 examinations from a recognized board. For students who have a bachelor’s degree, the eligibility criteria require them to have passed their degree examinations with an aggregate of minimum 50%.
- The minimum duration required to complete this course from distance mode is 2 years and the maximum duration of the same is 5 years.
- Admission to the B.P.Ed course through correspondence mode is offered on the basis of scores obtained in the qualifying examinations.
- The average fee for the course ranges from INR 10,000 to INR 50,000 annually.
Given below are some colleges which offer this course in distance mode.
What after the B.P.Ed course?
B.P.Ed course comes with various job and career opportunities. Fresh graduates of the course can easily expect compensation of INR 2.5 Lakhs to INR 3.68 Lakhs per year. The compensation offered is proportional to the experience earned in the field. The salary offered increases with an increase of inexperience in the field.
Some of the major job profiles available to B.P.Ed graduates are mentioned below:
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary Offered|
|Physical Education Teacher||A physical education teacher is responsible for organizing and dealing with all kinds of physical activities happening in the school like physical training, games, sports. They organize various sports meets and tournaments as a part of extracurricular activities. They also deliver lectures regarding physical training and fitness.||INR 4 lakhs|
|Sports trainer||A sports trainer is a person who possesses all the required knowledge about any particular sport. He provides others with guidelines and rules for playing various sports. They are responsible for maintaining discipline and sportsmanship among their trainees.||INR 5 lakhs|
|Gym trainer||A gym trainer instructs and acts as a guide to various physical activities taking place in the gym. As per the recent trend, more and more people are opting for this profile. But know that, for becoming a gym trainer one needs to be physically fit and well aware of all the physical exercises and gym equipment.||INR 6 lakhs|
|Fitness in-charge||A fitness in charge is responsible for making proper diet plans and daily workout schedules as per the requirements of their clients. A fitness in charge can also work with a big company or firm to train people there for a physical workout.||INR 8 lakhs|
|Coach||A coach is someone who specializes in a particular form of a sport like a cricket, basketball, football, etc. He instructs and guides the players about how to play a particular sport. The person is usually paid by the board of the sports organization. In order to become a coach, one needs a lot of experience and deep knowledge about the game.||INR 7 lakhs|
|Yoga trainer||Yoga is a traditional Indian form of physical, mental, and spiritual exercise. A yoga trainer is a person who specializes in all forms of yogic activities. He demonstrates the right way of performing yoga in front of people. At present times, these professionals are highly in demand.||INR 9 lakhs|
Apart from seeking employment, graduates of the course can also choose to pursue further studies. One can choose for any such course as per one's desire. This ensures them with better job opportunities and a better career. There are lots of various postgraduate courses in the domain of physical education. Few of those courses are discussed below:
- M.P.Ed: Master’s in Physical Education (M.P.Ed) is a 2-year post-graduation degree program that enables you to expand your knowledge in the field of Physical Education. This course is offered in a number of colleges and universities on the basis of entrance exam scores. You need to secure a minimum of 50%-60% marks in the B.P.Ed course too, to secure admission in this course. The average fee of this course ranges from INR 10,000 to INR 2 Lakhs per annum.
- M.Phil (Physical Education): Master of Philosophy in Physical Education discipline is a 1-2 year course. To pursue an M.Phil (Physical Education) course you need to possess a master’s degree in physical education from a recognized board or university. After completing this course you can expect an average salary of around INR 3-5 Lakhs per annum.
View More B.P.Ed Job Prospects and Career Scope
What is the Difference: B.P.Ed vs B.A. Physical Education?
Both B.P.Ed and B.A. Physical Education has a bright future in the field of research with several aspects. There are many colleges in India who prefer both of the courses in their academic structure. Both the courses are almost the same in the course structure. Check the table below for more comparative details:
|Parameters||B.P.Ed||B.A. Physical Education|
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Physical Education||Bachelor of Arts in Physical Education|
|Course overview||B.P.Ed is a professional course offered in a time span of one to four years. The course prepares one for the real-life career experiences in sports. It imparts an in-depth knowledge about any particular sport as per the interest of the student.||B.A. in Physical Education is a 3-year full-time undergraduate course. The program focuses on the study of all the areas of science relating to physical knowledge and skills, and the application of such skills. It basically imparts knowledge about physical fitness and well being to the students.|
|Objective||Students are taught about professionalism in the sports field. They extensively learn about a particular sport of their choice.||Students are taught about physical education. The course focuses on the theory part of the subject.|
|Admission process||Merit-based or based on an entrance exam||Merit-based or based on an entrance exam|
|Average annual course fee||INR 6,500 to INR 51,000||INR 2,000 to 5 Lacs|
|Average salary offered||INR 3.68 Lakhs per annum||INR 4 to 10 lacs per annum|
|Available job profiles||A physical education teacher, sports trainer, personal trainer, gym trainer, soft skill trainer, yoga trainer, coach commentator, sports journalist, fitness in charge, etc.||Physical Education Teacher, Athletic Trainer, Sports Coach, Nutrition Specialist, Personal Trainer, Recreation Centre Director, Rehabilitation Specialist, Physical Therapist, School Gym Teacher, among others.|
|Top recruiting companies||Narayana, Pathways School, Delhi Public School, Revolution Sports Pvt.Ltd, Sports Focus Investments||National Institute of Sports, Patiala Indira Gandhi Institute of Physical Education and Sports Sciences, New Delhi, Lakshmibai National Institute of Physical Education, Gwalior|
|Colleges||Lovely Professional University, Jalandhar, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, Punjab University, Chandigarh, Amity University, Noida, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, Chandigarh University, etc.||Jadavpur University, Kolkata, Scottish Church College, Kolkata, Mount Carmel College, DAV College, Chandigarh, Dwijendralal college, Nadia, etc|
Source: Official College’s Surveys
Ques. What are the eligibility criteria one must fulfill in order to pursue a B.P.Ed course?
Ans. Students who wish to pursue a B.P.Ed must have either passed their 10+2 examinations from a recognized board or must possess a bachelor’s degree from a recognized college or university.
Ques. How much does it cost to pursue a B.P.Ed degree program?
Ans. The average tuition fee charged by colleges or universities for this course in India lies anywhere in between INR 6,500 to INR 51,000 per annum. The fee is different for private and government institutes.
Ques. Which are some of the most popular colleges offering B.P.Ed?
Ans. Some of the most popular colleges offering B.P.Ed are Lovely Professional University, Jalandhar, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, Punjab University, Chandigarh, Amity University, Noida, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, Chandigarh University, etc.
Ques. What are the various job positions available to a fresh B.P.Ed?
Ans. A B.P.Ed course graduate can work as a physical education teacher, sports trainer, personal trainer, gym trainer, soft skill trainer, yoga trainer, coach commentator, sports journalist, fitness in charge, etc.
Ques. Can I pursue the B.P.Ed degree program through distance learning mode?
Ans. Yes, B.P.Ed is offered through correspondence mode as well. Some of the colleges offering this course through distance mode are Annamalai University, Alagappa University, Madurai Kamaraj university
Ques. What are some of the universities which conduct entrance tests in order to shortlist candidates for admission into the B.P.Ed degree program?
Ans. Banaras Hindu University, Lovely Professional University, Aligarh Muslim University are some of the universities which conduct their own entrance examination in order to shortlist students for admission into B.P.Ed degree program.
Ques. Are the entrance exams for the B.P.Ed course being postponed due to COVID19?
Ans. Yes, most of the entrance exams have been postponed due to the ongoing pandemic. The new dates and other updates of the exams can be found by visiting their respective official websites.
Ques. What salary can a fresh B.P.Ed graduate expect?
Ans. Fresh graduates of this course can easily expect compensation of INR 2.5 to INR 3.68 Lakhs per year.
Ques. Is a physical screening test mandatory for admission into a B.P.Ed degree program?
Ans. No, while there are some colleges that do consider the score of a physical screening test, there do exist colleges that do not bother about any such test.
Ques. Is IGNOU offering a B.P.Ed degree program?
Ans. No, the B.P.Ed course cannot be pursued from IGNOU.
Ques. Is Delhi University offering a B.P.Ed Program?
Ans. No, Delhi University is not offering any such program.