Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) Applied Nutrition is a 3-year long specialization undergraduate program focused on preparing the students and constructing a strong basic foundation in concepts of nutrition and diet plan.
B.Sc Applied Nutrition program crafts and develops the skilful nutritional experts for addressing the health challenges faced by people today. Admission to B.Sc Applied Nutrition is based on merit and entrance exams conducted by some reputed colleges.
A student should have secured a minimum of 60% marks in 10+2 with PCB (Physics, Chemistry and Biology or Biotechnology) and English subjects to be eligible to apply for this course.
See more: BSc Colleges in India
Some of the subjects of B.Sc Applied Nutrition include fundamentals of food and nutrition, fitness and sports, Community Nutrition, Clinical Dietetics to provide an in depth knowledge of the healthy lifestyle people can lead with food science.
B.Sc Applied Nutrition: Course Highlights
|Course Level||Undergraduate Degree|
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Science, Applied Nutrition|
|Examination type||Online and Offline Entrance Test|
|Eligibility||Aggregate of 60% marks in 10+2 PCB (Physics, Chemistry and Biology or Biotechnology) and English Subjects|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exams and Merit|
|Course Fee||INR 1,532-2,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 3 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Nestle India, Mondelez India, Unilever, GSK, Eli Lilly, Novartis|
B.Sc Applied Nutrition: Admission Process
The admission process of B.Sc Applied Nutrition is based on merit and some reputed colleges conduct entrance exams for admission. The candidates who want to apply for B.Sc Applied Nutrition need to follow the below mentioned steps:
- Most of the colleges admit students on the basis of Merit and some colleges like Sharda University, Lovely Professional University conduct entrance exams for students and select them based on their performance on the same.
- The students who meet the eligibility criteria can apply through both online and offline modes to the respective colleges.
- Online mode: In online mode the students need to register themselves online and fill the application form of the college. To complete the registration the students need to pay the registration fee online. Post registration the students need to upload required documents online like 10+2-mark sheets, Migration Certificates and other documents.
- Offline Mode: In offline mode, students need to physically take the admission form from the college office and pay the registration fee for the same. Fill up the form with the required details and attach self-attested documents with the admission form and submit it to the college office.
- Based on the result of the entrance exam conducted by colleges or based on merit, the list of students who have been selected is released by the colleges post which the students need to deposit the first instalment of the fees to college for admission in B.Sc Applied Nutrition.
B.Sc Applied Nutrition: Eligibility Criteria
The basic eligibility criteria for pursuing B.Sc. in Applied Nutrition are listed here:
- A Higher Secondary qualification/ 10+2 or equivalent qualification in the science stream including subjects Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Biotechnology and English from a recognized educational Board of the country.
- A minimum of 60% marks in aggregate is required and in some colleges the required aggregate marks is 70% to be eligible to apply for B.Sc Applied Nutrition.
- Some reputed institutes and universities conduct their own entrance examinations for admission to B.Sc Applied Nutrition and the selection in such cases is based on the candidate’s performance in both 10+2 and the entrance examination.
B.Sc Applied Nutrition: Entrance Exams
The details of entrance exams conducted by different institutes are mentioned in the following table.
|Exam Name||Conducting Body||Exam Dates||Exam Mode|
|LPUNEST||Lovely Professional University||March 20 – April 5, 2021||Online|
|SUAT||Sharda University||Cancelled due to Covid Pandemic||-|
B.Sc Applied Nutrition: How to Prepare for the Entrance Exams?
The entrance exams conducted by a few colleges have the basic syllabus of 10+2 subjects Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Biotechnology and English that the students need to prepare.
- The students can go through the syllabus and guidelines online provided by the colleges for their reference.
- The students can prepare by going through NCERT books as the level of the exam would be 10+2 subjects.
- The students can also seek help from reference books that are dedicated for entrance exams and solve sample papers from the same to manage the time so that they are prepared to complete the exam in time.
B.Sc Applied Nutrition: How to Get Admission in a Good College?
- The admission is based on merit in most colleges so the students can work on getting good marks in 10+2 board exams which will also make them eligible for scholarship in some colleges as well.
- For colleges that conduct walk-in interviews for students as part of the admission process the students can pre-prepare answers to basic questions like the reason for selecting this course, the career path that the student wants to take.
- The students can prepare well for the colleges that have entrance exams for selection and secure good marks and ranking to be selected.
B.Sc Applied Nutrition: What is it About?
B.Sc Applied Nutrition is a course which is suited for candidates with a keen interest in the science of Nutritional Biology and involves a subject of specialization specific to nutrition and diet. The course focuses on the promotion of the knowledge of health through healthy food.
- Knowledge Enhancement through the curriculum as it offers prime focus on fundamental and applied aspects of preparation and management of nutrition and diet plan for various age groups.
- Professional Enhancement in addition to core curricula, course offers subjects like communication, analytical and soft skills to enhance personality and employability of the students post completion of the course.
- Interactive Sessions of the course helps the students with regular interactive sessions with academicians and chief dieticians to update knowledge on latest technologies and emerging trends is an important aspect of the curriculum.
- B.Sc Applied Nutrition is focused on teaching the students how to educate patients about healthy eating for good health.
Why Study BSc Applied Nutrition?
- B.Sc Applied Nutrition is beneficial to those who want a career as health professionals, providing consultative services in areas relating to nutrition and food product development relating to nutritional issues.
- B.Sc Applied Nutrition is a course which helps in further studies such as M.Sc., M.Phil. and Ph.D.
- The career opportunities are in immense post completion of the course as the students can work in the industries like Food service field, Institutional Catering, Health Care field, Research & Development and Social Welfare.
- After B.Sc Applied Nutrition a student can also be part of a hospital as a nutritionist for the resident patients and prepare the food charts based on their health and diet requirements.
B.Sc Applied Nutrition: Course Comparison
B.Sc Applied Nutrition and B.Tech Food technology are both in the similar field but the differences are listed below:
|Parameter||B.Sc Applied Nutrition||B.Tech Food Technology|
|Full Form||Bachelor of Science||Bachelor of Technology|
|Domain||Applied Nutrition||Food Technology|
|Overview||This course focuses on the science of Nutritional Biology and involves a specialization subject which is specific to nutrition and diet. It deals with the nutritional biology of the food.||This course deals with the techniques involved in production, processing, preservation, packaging, labelling, quality management, and distribution of food products.|
|Duration||3 Years||4 Years|
|Eligibility||Aggregate of 60% marks in 10+2 PCB (Physics, Chemistry and Biology or Biotechnology) and English Subjects||Aggregate of 50% marks in 10+2 PCB (Physics, Chemistry and Biology or Biotechnology) and English Subjects|
|Average Annual Fee||INR 1,532 to 2,00,000||INR 60,000-7,00,000|
|Average Salary Offered||INR 1.20-5.60 LPA||INR 2-6 LPA|
B.Sc Applied Nutrition: Top Colleges
|College Name||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Offer|
|Mount Carmel College, Bengaluru||INR 42,000||INR 3 LPA|
|St. Francis College for Women, Hyderabad||INR 10,000||INR 3.40 LPA|
|Amity University, Gurugram||INR 56,000||INR 2.04 LPA|
|Lovely Professional University, Phagwara||INR 1.60 LPA||INR 2.90 LPA|
|Queen Mary’s College, Chennai||INR 1,532||INR 1.60 LPA|
|Madina Degree and PG College, Hyderabad||INR 12,000||INR 1.20 LPA|
|Sharda University, Udaipur||INR 1.29 LPA||INR 3 LPA|
B.Sc Applied Nutrition: College Comparison
|Parameter||Mount Carmel College||St. Francis College for Women||Amity University|
|Overview||Mount Carmel College (MCC) is a women’s college which is affiliated to Bangalore University and re-accredited with an A+ Grade(4th Cycle) by NAAC.||St Francis College for Women is a Catholic minority institution with the aim of educating women. It has been accredited with 5 stars by the NAAC.||One of the top Private institutes to offer higher education in India is Amity University with its institutes spread across Pan India.|
|India Today’s Rank||22||30||75|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 42,000||INR 10,000||INR 56,000|
|Average Package Offered||INR 3 LPA||INR 3.4 LPA||INR 2.04 LPA|
|Placement Companies||Hindustan Unilever Limited, Herbalist Association, Sheraton Grand,||Dabur, Pepsico, Nestle, Fortis, Tata Group of Companies||Medanta, Artemis, Fortis, Hindustan wellness, Zyla Healthcare,|
B.Sc Applied Nutrition: Syllabus
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Environmental Studies||Gender Sensitization|
|Second Language||Second Language|
|Nutritional Biochemistry-I||Nutritional Biochemistry-II|
|Optional II||Optional II|
|Optional III||Optional III|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Food Service Management||Quantity Food Production|
|Second Language||Second Language|
|Food Science||Family & Community Nutrition|
|Optional- II||Optional- II|
|Optional- III||Optional- III|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Hospital Administration Skills||Patient Counselling Techniques & Skills|
|Fundamentals of Food & Nutrition||Perspectives of Food Safety in India|
|Clinical Dietetics||Public Health|
|Optional- II||Optional- II|
|Optional- III||Optional- III|
B.Sc Applied Nutrition: Important Books
|Name of the book||Author|
|Modern Nutrition In Health And Disease||Maurice E. Shils|
|Clinical Dietetics and Nutrition||F.P. Antia & Philip Abraham|
|Textbook of Nutrition and Dietetics||Sharda Gupta, Santosh Jain Passi, Rama Seth, Ranjana Mahna, Seema Puri, Kumud Khanna|
|Fundamentals of Foods, Nutrition and Diet Therapy||Sumati R Mudambi and M V Rajagopal|
|Nutrition - A Lifecycle Approach||Ravinder Chadha and Pulkit Mathur|
|Public Health Nutrition (Second Edition)||Judith L. Buttriss (Editor), Ailsa A. Welch (Editor), John M. Kearney (Editor), Dr. Susan A. Lanham-New (Editor)|
|Practical Observations Upon the Chemistry of Food and Dietetics||King John Blair Smith 1885|
B.Sc Applied Nutrition: Job Profiles
The job prospects and opportunities after completing graduation in B.Sc Applied Nutrition are immense. The students can become Dieticians and Nutritionists and work in the food Industry. Catering is another field where Nutrition and dietetics professionals are needed to plan, supervise and prepare nutritious and well-balanced meals for schools, colleges, factories or office cafeterias etc.
|Job Profile||Description||Average Salary|
|Dietitian & Nutritionist||Counsel patients on nutrition issues and healthy eating habits.||INR 3 LPA|
|Research Assistant||Participate in the design, administration and monitoring of clinical trials with regards to food and nutrition.||INR 4 LPA|
|Clinical Nutritionist||Take detailed dietary recalls of users, understand their problems and pitch them the right plan||INR 2.30 LPA|
B.Sc Applied Nutrition: Future Scope
- After pursuing B.Sc Applied Nutrition the students can opt for further studies in MSc Nutrition or MBA which will help them in their further career.
- The students can also get placed in companies like Nestle, Dabur and other companies in the food industry.
- The Students can also join hospitals and work with the food and nutrition care of Patients by planning meals depending on the dietary requirements of the patients.
B.Sc Applied Nutrition: FAQs
Ques. Which industry hires the students of B.Sc Applied Nutrition?
Ques. What are the Global opportunities after pursuing B.Sc Applied Nutrition?
Ques. What will be the types of jobs I will get after B.Sc Applied Nutrition?
Ques. I have three years of experience in my private business. Am I eligible for the B.Sc Applied Nutrition program?
Ques. When applying for B.Sc Applied Nutrition do colleges require a test to prove proficiency in English?
Ques. Can students with science subjects without biology apply for the course?
Ques. Is B.Sc in Applied Nutrition a good course?
Ques. What is the difference between Applied nutrition and Clinical Nutrition?
Ques. Can I start my own nutritional practice after completion of B.Sc Applied Nutrition?
Ques Is the course fees of B.Sc Applied Nutrition very high?