BSc Aviation is an undergraduate degree course in aviation of 3-years duration. The course mainly deals with flying airplanes, helicopters, etc. The total duration for a full-time course is three years which is divided into 6 semesters. In order to be eligible for the course, the students must pass their 10+2 examination with a minimum 50% score. They should also have Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as their main subjects in 10+2.
Know More About Aviation Course
The course is meant to prepare the students for the aviation industry and various aerospace firms. Some of the subjects which are taught to the students are Air Navigation, Air Regulation,Meteorology and Aircraft & Engines.
In most colleges, the students are admitted directly on the basis of their 10+2 scores. Some colleges also conduct a personal interview round based on which admissions are done. This course is often confused with BSc. (Hons) in Aviation Management, but these two are two different courses.
Here we have listed some of the top colleges in India from where you will be able to study BSc Aviation.
|College/University Name||Admission Process||Average Total Fee||Average Salary|
|NIMS University||Merit-based||INR 1.05 Lakhs||INR 3 Lakhs|
|VELS Institute of Science, Technology and Advanced Studies||Merit-based||INR 2.3 Lakhs||INR 2.7 Lakhs|
|Garware Institute of Career Education and Development||Merit-based||INR 2.37 Lakhs||INR 3 Lakhs|
|Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Uran Academy||Merit-based||INR 38 Lakhs||INR 3 Lakhs|
|Indira Institute of Aircraft Engineering||Merit-based||INR 4.3 Lakhs||INR 3.5 Lakhs|
Quick Look in top BSc Aviation Colleges
The average total fee of the course is INR 3 Lakhs. The fee may vary according to the institution. The course has a very high demand. After completion of the course, the students may acquire the job of an aircraft maintenance engineer, software testing engineer, pilot, production, and maintenance manager.
The average salary will depend on the job profile of the candidate. For a fresher, it can be anything between INR 3.5-5.5 Lakhs per annum. The salary will increase as the candidate gains experience.
BSc Aviation Admission Process
The admission process is mostly based on the merit of the students. The admission forms are mostly released in the month of May/June. The application forms are available from the official website of the university. Application forms are available offline as well. The colleges prepare the merit list based on the marks acquired by the students in their 10+2 examination.
The cut-off may vary from college to college. A college determines its cut-off based on the availability of seats and the number of applicants. Certain universities also ask the students to submit their 10th, 12th mark sheets along with various other certificates prior to admission. In some colleges, an additional round of interviews is also held.
- The first step towards admission is filling up the admission form. The students need to fill up the application form and submit it before the last date. In some cases, you may also need to upload some documents along with the application form.
- The second step is optional as there are only a few colleges and universities which conduct an interview. If the college you are applying for has this round, then you should prepare well for the interview.
- The students will be shortlisted based on the marks acquired by them and also their performance in the interview. The list of shortlisted candidates will be released on the official website of the college/ university. The students must also fulfill all other eligibility criteria in order to be eligible for admission.
B.Sc. in Aviation Eligibility
- In order to be eligible for the BSc Aviation course, the students must have a minimum of 50% score in their 10th examination in all the subjects.
- The candidates must pass their 10+2 examination from a recognized board having a minimum 50% score in subjects like English, Physics, and Mathematics.
- Students who have studied three years of Engineering, Technology, or Diploma course with Mathematics and Physics as their main subject after the completion of their 10th examination can apply for the course too.
- The students who have studied a diploma in Information Technology, Computer Science, Electrical, Electronics, Mechanics, or any other related field can also apply for the course.
- Candidates need to have a Class II Medical Certificate from the Director-General of Civil Aviation approved Medical doctor for their flying hours.
- The commercial pilot license holder should also have a current CPL with a Class II Medical Certificate from the Director General of Civil Aviation medical centers.
BSc Aviation Entrance Exams
There is no entrance examination for admission to BSc Aviation course. However, some state and central universities offer this course by conducting their own state/central level entrance exams. Most of the colleges also accept admission to the course directly on the basis of merit. They prepare a merit list on the basis of 10+2 performance of the candidates.
How to get admission in a good BSc Aviation college?
- In order to get admitted to a very good college, the students must fulfill all the eligibility criteria. They need to have a minimum of 50% in 10th and 12th examination.
- In case there is an interview, the students must prepare for the interview well. They should properly revise the topics taught in 10+2. This will help them to crack the interview.
- The students must also carefully fill up the admission form of the college well before the deadline. Also, before taking admission to a college, before sure to have a proper idea about the course curriculum and the placement opportunities offered by the college.
BSc Aviation: What is it about?
Aviation is a branch of science that focuses on the study and design of aircraft. It also deals with aircraft maintenance, airline management, and air traffic control. Aviation science includes all the arrangements which are required to keep the airlines running safely and efficiently. Here, aircraft refer to all sorts of commercial aircraft like airplanes, helicopters, gliders, and also military jets.
- In the entire duration of the course, the students will learn about the production and management of aircraft.
- There are various job opportunities for students after they complete their courses. They may take up roles such as Pilot, Aviation Line Technician, Flight Attendant, Cargo Manager, etc. They may also teach at an educational institution.
- You will also learn about piloting an aircraft.
- Covers a wide area of topics such as design, production, and management, and others.
BSc Aviation: Course Highlights
|Full-form||Bachelor of Science in Aviation.|
|Eligibility||Minimum 50% in 10+2 examination with English, Physics and Mathematics as the main subjects.|
|Admission Process||Direct Admission.|
|Course Fee||Up to INR 1 Lakh per annum|
|Average Salary||INR 4.5 Lakhs per annum|
|Job Positions||Pilot, Aviation Line Technician, Flight Attendant, Cargo Manager, Service maintenance engineer, Pilot, Flight test engineer|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Hindustan Aeronautics, Spice Jet, Jet Airways, Indigo, Cambata Aviation|
Why Study BSc Aviation?
Here we have listed some of the reasons as to why you should take up a BSc course in Aviation:
- BSc Aviation is an extremely sought-after course and is always in demand.
- The course deals with flying helicopters, airplanes, gliders, etc. It also imparts the student's knowledge about the various parts of an aircraft, its functions, and the various precautions which will have to be undertaken while flying an aircraft.
- BSc in Aviation provides excellent career options for the students. Some of the most common job profiles include aircraft maintenance engineer, pilot, production, and maintenance manager, software testing engineer, etc.
- The students will initially earn a package of 4.5 Lakhs per annum. The salary will depend on the company and the organization. The package will increase as the candidate gains experience.
- After completion of a BSc, the students may go on to pursue an M.Sc.in Aviation or Aviation Management. He/She may also apply for an MBA in Aviation.
- The students can also go for various certificate courses like Aeronautical Engineering, Pilot Training, and many more.
B.Sc Aviation Vs BBA Aviation
BSc Aviation and BBA Aviation are almost similar courses but differ due to the stream change in the educational background required to pursue these courses. Below given are the key differences between these 2 courses in terms of orientation and impact.
|Parameters||B.Sc Aviation||BBA Aviation|
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Science in Aviation||Bachelor of Business Administration in Aviation|
|Course Overview||Bachelor of Science Aviation is an undergraduate course that deals with the flying of aircraft. It also provides knowledge to the students on the internal mechanics of the aircraft, its parts, and various other important details related to it.||Bachelor of Business Administration in Aviation is an undergraduate course that has a duration of 3 years. It deals with various fundamentals of management in aviation. The students are taught about managerial skills in various sectors of aviation management.|
|Average Annual Fee||INR 1 Lakh||INR 18,000-INR 2.6 Lakhs|
|Average Salary||INR 4.25 Lakhs per annum||2- 6 Lakhs per annum|
|Colleges||Banasthali Vidyapith, NIMS University, VELS Institute of Science, Technology and Advanced Studies, Garware Institute of Career Education and Development
||University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, GD Goenka University, Osmania University, Sun International Institute for Technology and Management, Galgotias University, School of Logistics and Aviation Management.|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Jet Airways, Indigo, Cambata Aviation||Aviation Industry, Airline Insurance, Recovery and Credit, Sales Operation, Airline Contracting|
Source: Colleges and Universities Surveys
BSc Aviation Colleges
There are around 17 colleges in India which provide a B.Sc. course in Aviation. Out of those colleges, we have mentioned some of the top institutes of the country along with their average tuition fee and average salary:
|College Name||City||Average Total Fee||Average Salary|
|NIMS University||Jaipur||INR 1.05 Lakhs||INR 3 Lakhs|
|VELS Institute of Science, Technology and Advanced Studies||Chennai||INR 2.3 Lakhs||INR 2.7 Lakhs|
|Garware Institute of Career Education and Development||Mumbai||INR 2.37 Lakhs||INR 3 Lakhs|
|Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Uran Academy||Rae Bareli||INR 38 Lakhs||INR 3 Lakhs|
|Indira Institute of Aircraft Engineering||Pune||INR 4.3 Lakhs||INR 3.5 Lakhs|
|Pune Institute of Aviation Engineering||Pune||INR 4.25 Lakhs||INR 3 Lakhs|
|Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science||Chennai||INR 2.59 Lakhs||INR 5 Lakhs|
|Sir Sitaram and Lady Shantabai Patkar College of Arts and Science||Mumbai||INR 1.99 Lakhs||INR 5.5 Lakhs|
|Thakur College of Science and Commerce||Maharashtra||INR 58,410||INR 4 Lakhs|
|St. Mary’s College of Health Science||Tamil Nadu||INR 1.7 Lakhs||INR 6 Lakhs|
Given below is the comparison between various colleges and universities offering a BSc Aviation course. The difference given below is in terms of overview, courses offered in the college, average fee, and other parameters.
|College Name||NIMS University, Rajasthan||VELS Institute of Science, Technology and Advanced Studies, Chennai||Indira Institute of Aircraft Engineering, Pune|
|Overview||NIMS University is one of the best universities of 2018 by ASSOCHAM in Jaipur. The institute offers various popular courses to the students up to the Ph.D. level. Some of the popular courses include B.Sc, BCA, B.Tech, etc.||This university offers all types of UG, PG, and doctoral degrees in almost 14 different fields. The campus is spread over 30 acres of land. It is one of the top 10 private engineering colleges in Tamil Nadu.||IIAE is a private institute that is highly popular for its aircraft engineering course. It offers two courses to the students which are Aircraft Maintenance Engineering and B.Sc. in Aviation.|
|Average Fees||INR 1.05 Lakhs||INR 2.3 Lakhs||INR 4.3 Lakhs|
|Average CTC||INR 5 LPA||INR 6 LPA||INR 6.5 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Company||IBM, HCL Technologies, Ericsson India Pvt Ltd.||Hindustan Aeronautics, Spice Jet, Cambata Aviation||Airports, Aviation Industry, Airline Insurance, Hindustan Aeronautics, Jet Airways.|
Source: College and Universities Website
BSc Aviation Subjects
The BSc Aviation course has 6 semesters. During the duration of the course, the students master various important topics related to aviation and aviation science. At the end of 6 semesters, the students appear for final assessment which also includes practicals and project work. Here, we have listed some of the important topics which are covered in the course:
|YEAR 1||YEAR 2||YEAR 3|
|Aviation Mathematics||Aviation Physics-II||Aviation Physics-III|
|Aviation Physics-I||Aviation Science-II||Aviation Science-III|
|Aviation Science-I||English-II||Aviation Physics-IV|
|English-I||Second Language Paper-II||Aviation Science-IV|
|Second Language Paper-I||Environmental Science||Air Navigation and Regulation|
|Indian Heritage and Culture||Computer Applications in the Aviation Industry||Aircraft Ground Handling and Safety Practicals|
|English Language and Communication Skills Practical||Computer Labs||Science and Civilization|
|Aircraft Awareness and Simulator Practicals||Aviation English Computer Practicals||Aircraft Inspection Procedures|
View More Detailed BSc Aviation Subjects
BSc Aviation Job Prospects and Career Options
BSc Aviation has numerous career prospects. Even a fresher will be able to earn a handsome salary in various organizations, Here, we have listed a few of the work areas where BSc Aviation students can acquire a job:
- Aviation firms
- Aeronautics Industries
- Aerospace Firms
BSc Aviation students earn a reasonably good salary after the completion of their course. The table below lists show of the most popular job profiles of BSc Aviation candidates along with their average annual salary and job description:
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Service maintenance engineer||A service maintenance engineer looks after the various equipment which is required to enhance the services of an aircraft. Maintenance engineers need to communicate effectively with other individuals and teams to achieve goals in a timely manner.||INR 4 Lakhs per annum|
|Pilot||A pilot is someone who is responsible for operating an aircraft. The type of pilots and their salary will vary from company to company. The salary mainly depends on flying hours and the flying experience.||INR 10 Lakhs per annum|
|Flight test engineer||The main responsibility of a Flight test engineer is flight testing of aircraft systems and aircraft prototypes.||INR 5 Lakhs per annum|
|Aircraft maintenance engineer||An Aircraft maintenance engineer installs and repairs the various parts of an aircraft. He/ She is also responsible for maintaining the various parts of an aircraft.||INR 7.33 Lakhs per annum|
|Operations Manager||Operations managers check their organization’s production of goods and/or services. They check various departments, such as purchasing, warehousing, and manufacturing. They make sure that their company’s operations run smoothly and effectively.||INR 7.79 Lakhs per annum|
BSc Aviation Future Scope
BSc Aviation has a very prosperous future scope. They may seek jobs in the aviation industry and build a prosperous career for themselves. They may acquire jobs in reputed companies like SpiceJet, Indigo, etc.
- The students may pursue an M.Sc. Aviation. There are a number of reputed colleges in India that offer an M.Sc. Aviation course. An average fee charged to pursue is up to INR 2 Lakhs for the whole course. MSc Aviation course develops an understanding among the students to understand the aspects related to aviation like manufacturing, working, management, and repair.
- MBA in Aviation Management is another prosperous course. This is a course that equips students with skills of being managers in the aviation industry. An aviation administrator studies aviation management courses to work on high-level positions. The average salary of an MBA in Aviation Management is up to INR 6.96 Lakh.
Look into More Careers in BSc Aviation
BSc Aviation: FAQs
Ques. Do I have to appear for an entrance test in order to get admission to a BSc Aviation college?
Ans. No, you need not have to appear for an entrance test in order to study BSc Aviation. Most admissions are done directly, based on the marks acquired in 10+2. However, you may have to appear for an additional round of interviews.
Ques. What are the best career opportunities after BSc Aviation?
Ans. There are multiple career options after BSc Aviation. You may go on to pursue M.Sc. in Aviation from one of the top colleges of the country. Another option is the MBA in Aviation Management.
Ques. What type of jobs do I get after BSc Aviation?
Ans. Some of the popular job profiles include Pilot, Aviation Line Technician, Flight Attendant, Cargo Manager, Service maintenance engineer.
Ques. Which course is better: BSc Aviation or BBA in Aviation?
Ans. BSc in Aviation and BBA in Aviation both are equally prosperous. BSc in Aviation teaches you about the maintenance and operation of aircraft while BBA in Aviation teaches about the managerial aspects of the aviation industry.
Ques. Does BSc Aviation have any scope in India?
Ans. Yes, there is plenty of scopes available for you. After completing your course, you may get a job at a reputed company. You can also pursue higher studies.
Ques. What is the salary of the candidates after completion of a BSc Aviation?
Ans. The average salary of BSc Aviation graduates is 4.25 Lakhs per annum.
Ques. What marks do I require in the 10+2 examination to get admitted to the B.Sc Aviation course?
Ans. You must have a minimum mark of 50% in each of the subjects including Physics, Chemistry, and English.
Ques. Which is the best college in India for B.Sc Aviation?
Ans. Some of the top colleges include Banasthali Vidyapith, NIMS University, VELS Institute of Science, Technology and Advanced Studies.
Ques. What is the average tuition fee for B.Sc Aviation?
Ans. The average tuition fee ranges up to INR 1 Lakhs per annum.
Ques. When do I apply for B.Sc Aviation?
Ans. The application forms are released in May/ June. Keep a look at the official websites of the Universities for more details.