Bachelor of Science or in Environmental Science is an undergraduate course that aims to impart knowledge to the eligible candidates on sustainable development, ecological sustainability, environmental health, and many more.
This course is specially meant for the students who wish to have a clear understanding of various environmental issues and the measures which can be undertaken in order to protect the environment.
Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science has a total duration of 3 years. It consists of 6 semesters with a duration of 6 months each. For distance learning programs, the minimum duration is 3 years while the maximum duration is around 6 years.
|Top BSc Environmental Science Colleges in Maharashtra||Top BSc Environmental Science College in West Bengal|
|Top BSc Environmental Science college in UP||Top BSc Environmental Science College in Tamil Nadu|
Some of the important subjects in the course include Biology, Environmental Science, Ecology, Geography, Social Science, and Technology. During the entire course, the students are trained to develop a scientific understanding of the environment and investigate various global environmental issues.
To be eligible for the B.Sc. in Environmental Science course, the students must pass 10+2 from a recognized board. The admission procedure is mostly direct. However, some colleges/ universities may conduct entrance tests.
Some of the best colleges for Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science in India are:
|Collegedunia Ranking||College Name||Admission Process||Average Total fee||Average Salary|
|1||Fergusson College, Pune||Merit-based||INR 33,000||INR 2.5 LPA|
|2||Mount Carmel College, Bangalore||Merit-based||INR 1,26,000||INR 2.95 LPA|
|3||Amity University, Noida||Merit-based||INR 3,06,000||INR 3 L|
|4||St. Xaviers College, Ahmedabad||Merit-based||INR 30,000||INR 3.6 LPA|
|5||NIMS University, Jaipur||Merit-based||INR 90,000||INR 4.7 LPA|
The average total fee of the course is between INR 20,000 to INR 3,00,000, depending on the college offering the course. A private college charges more fees as compared to a government college.
The course also has bright career prospects. The students may acquire the job of an environmentalist in various reputed organizations. He/ She may also pursue an M.Sc. in Environmental Science.
Various other career paths are also open to them. Some of the popular job areas include Research and Development, Conversation Bodies, Public Sectors, and so on. The average CTC is around INR 3 LPA - INR 5 LPA.
BSc Environmental Science Admission Process
The admission to B.Sc in Environmental Science is a direct process. The students are selected based on the marks acquired by them in their 10+2 or any other equivalent examination. The admission forms are released shortly after the declaration of the 10+2 results i.e. in the month of May or June.
To apply to any of the institute, the candidate will have to go through the following processes:
- Filling up the application form: The candidate will have to provide information about themselves and their scores in the previous examinations.
- Uploading the documents: Documents like marksheets, results of any common entrance test, residencial & caste certificates are required.
- Release of Merit-list: The candidates will be evaluated based on their marks scored in class XII examination, and a merit list of shortlisted students will be released.
- Counseling/ Interview: Some institutes call for an interview, some may call for counseling, where the candidate has to choose the course, get their documents verified, and pay the initial amount.
- Enrollment: Once you pay the amount, you are now enrolled.
BSc Environmental Science Eligibility
In order to be eligible for B.Sc in Environmental Science, the students are required to fulfill the following eligibility criteria:
- He/ She must pass their 10+2 examination in science subjects from a recognized board.
- The student must also have a minimum of 50% marks in both the 10th and 12th examinations. Certain relaxation of marks will be given to the SC/ ST/ OBC/ PwD candidates.
BSc Environmental Science Entrance Exams
Many of the colleges and universities organize entrance examinations for admission to the BSc in Environmental Science course. Here, we have listed some of the major entrance tests:
- CUCET 2021: CUCET (Central University Common Entrance Test) is a national level entrance examination, conducted by Rajasthan Central University. This exam is conducted for admission into UG, PG, and doctorate courses in various central and state universities. The test consists of 100 MCQs that need to be solved within 2 hours.
- LPUNEST 2021: LPUNEST is the common entrance test for Lovely Professional University. It is an online exam of 2.5 hours and is held twice a year.
- NIMSEE 2021: NIMSEE 2021 is conducted every year for admission into various courses under NIMS University, Jaipur. It is a national level examination and is conducted in offline mode. The medium of examination is English and the total number of questions asked is 200.
- NMIMS NPAT 2021: Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies conducts an entrance test every year for admission to the various undergraduate courses offered by the university. The examination is held in the month of May.
- KCET 2021: KCET is the common entrance test for admission into various government and private institutes of Karnataka. The application forms are released in February and the examination is held in May.
|Entrance Exam||Mode of Examination||Exam Duration||Date of Application||Date of examination|
|CUCET 2021||Online||2 hours||March 2021||May 2021|
|LPUNEST 2020||Online||2 hours 30 minutes||January 2021||May 2021|
|NIMSEE 2021||Online||2 hours||April 2021||May 2021|
|NMIMS NPAT 2020||Online||2 hours||February 2021||May 2021|
|KCET 2020||Online||2 hours||February 2021||May 2021|
First and foremost, you need to know the syllabus properly. How to prepare for the BSc in Environmental Science entrance test?
Divide the syllabus into smaller sub-parts. Read all the chapters in detail. Also, you need to have a very good grip on your 10+2 syllabus.
Never go for last-minute preparation. Always try to start preparing with sufficient time in hand. Also, keep some time for revision.
How to get admission in a good college?
- In order to get admitted to one of the best BSc Environmental Science colleges in India, the students must perform well in the 10+2 examination. Since admissions into most colleges are based on merit, scoring good marks in 10+2 will help to clear the cut-off and to get admission in the college of one’s choice.
- Some colleges conduct admissions through entrance tests. So, perform well in the examination, if applying for such colleges. Some may also conduct a personal interview prior to admission. In that case, you will also have to give your best performance at the interview.
- You should keep a track of all the important dates which are associated with the admission process. It is always recommended that you note down all the dates. This will ensure that you do not miss any important events related to the admission process.
- Some of these important dates include the date of submission of the application form, date of the entrance examination, date of admission, etc.
BSc Environmental Science: What is it about?
BSc Environmental Science is a specialized course that is meant to train the students in various fields related to the environment like Natural Resources Conversation, Ecology, Environment Impact Assessment, Pollution Management Techniques, and Environmental Protection Laws. The course mainly helps to:
- Understand the various phenomena of nature and how human beings are related to such environmental phenomena.
- Explore the various problems we face related to nature and find out a concrete solution to those problems.
- Develop a scientific approach and creative thinking ability.
- Expose the students to various projects and fieldwork for a better understanding of the environment.
- To understand what impact our environment can have on human lives in general.
Some of the important subjects which are taught to the students include The Ecological System, Natural Resource Management, Environmental Management, Pollution, and its Control, Environmental economics, and so on.
BSc Environmental Science: Course Highlights
|Full Form||Bachelors of Science in Environmental Science|
|Eligibility||Passed 10+2 from a recognized board with minimum marks of 50%. Some colleges may also conduct an entrance test.|
|Admission Process||Merit-Based or Direct|
|Course fee||INR 20,000 - INR 300,000|
|Average salary||INR 3 LPA - INR 5 LPA|
|Job positions||Environmentalist, Waste Management Officer, Pollution Control Officer, Environment Consultant.|
|Top recruiting areas||Research and Development, Conversation Bodies, Environmental Management, Public Sectors, Environmental Consultancies|
Why Study a Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science?
BSc Environmental Science is one such course that is not only prosperous for the students but will also help to improve nature and conserve the various natural resources. Environmental science is one of the mandatory courses in India.
Some of the main objectives of the course are:
- The students will be able to investigate the various complexities of the environment and find out a solution to various environmental issues.
- The graduates will become eligible to conduct various research activities for a better understanding of nature. This will allow them to handle different global environmental issues.
- The subject is extremely important in every sector of society. This is because keeping the environment clean is a major requirement of every sector.
- The students will get excellent placement opportunities. They can acquire a job as an environmentalist in various government sectors. They can work in NGOs and work on solving and educating people about various environmental issues.
- They can also work for private companies to find solutions for proper disposal of their waste material to reduce the amount of damage to the environment. With all these job options they will be able to earn an average salary of around 3 LPA-5 LPA as a fresher.
BSc Environmental Science vs BTech Environmental Engineering
The following table compares some of the key infos about BTech Environmental Engineering and BSc Environmental Science.
|Parameters||BSc Environmental Science||BTech Environmental Engineering|
|Full Form||Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science||Bachelor of Technology in Environmental Engineering|
|Course Overview||Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science is mostly concerned with the scientific aspects of the environment. It is an undergraduate course and the total duration is 3 years.||B. Tech in Environmental Engineering is a 4-year undergraduate course that teaches the students how to use new technologies for the betterment of the environment.|
|Eligibility||Passed 10+2 from a recognized board||Passed 10+2 from a recognized board and cleared the entrance test.|
|Admission Process||Merit-based||Entrance Test|
|Average Fee||INR 20,000- INR 3,00,000||INR 3,00,000- INR 5,00,000|
|Average Salary||3 LPA- 5 LPA||5 LPA- 6 LPA|
|Colleges||Fergusson College Pune, Mount Carmel College Bangalore, Amity University Noida, Chandigarh University, St. Xavier’s College Ahmedabad||IIT Kharagpur, Ch BP Government Engineering College New Delhi, Sri Jayachamarajendra College of Engineering Mysore, Hindustan College of Science and Technology Mathura|
|Top Job Profiles||Environmentalist, Environment Officer, Pollution Control Officer, Waste Management Officer.||Environmental Engineers, Waste Officers, Teacher|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Research and Development, Conversation Bodies, Environmental Management, Public Sectors, Environmental Consultancies||Chemical, Petroleum, Mining and Biological disciplines|
Source: Top Institute Websites
BSc Environmental Science Top Colleges
There are numerous colleges that offer this course, both government and private. Some of the top colleges offering BSc in Environmental Science in India are mentioned below:
|Collegedunia Rank||College Name||City||Average Total Fee||Average Salary|
|1||Fergusson College||Pune||INR 33,000||INR 2.5 LPA|
|2||Mount Carmel College||Bangalore||INR 1,26,000||INR 2.95 LPA|
|3||Amity University||Noida||INR 3,06,000||INR 3 LPA|
|4||St. Xaviers College||Ahmedabad||INR 30,000||INR 3.6 LPA|
|5||NIMS University||Jaipur||INR 90,000||INR 4.7 LPA|
|6||Lovely Professional University||Jalandhar||INR 1,59,000||INR 3 LPA|
|7||CSJM Kanpur University||Kanpur||INR 54,000||INR 3.3 LPA|
|8||Deogiri College||Aurangabad||INR 14,000||INR 3 LPA|
|9||Integral University||Lucknow||INR 80,000||INR 3.5 LPA|
|10||Chandigarh University||Chandigarh||INR 1,98,000||INR 3.2 LPA|
Here is a proper comparison between the top colleges that offer BSc Environmental Science. The comparisons are based on ranking, eligibility, admission process, annual fees, average salary offered, and top recruiting companies.
|College Name||Fergusson College, Pune||Mount Carmel College, Bangalore||St. Xaviers College, Ahmedabad|
|Overview||Fergusson College is a very popular college affiliated to Savitribai Phule Pune University. It offers various undergraduate and graduate courses to its students.||Mount Carmel College is a women’s college in Bangalore. It is affiliated under Bangalore University and is one of the top three colleges of Karnataka. It offers good placement opportunities.||St. Xavier’s College is an autonomous institute. It is one of the most prestigious colleges in the country and provides excellent academic facilities to the students. A few of the popular courses include BA, B.Sc, M.Sc.|
|The Week Ranking||8||13||20|
|Eligibility||Passed 10+2 from a recognized board||Passed 10+2 from a recognized board||Passed 10+2 from a recognized board|
|Average Fees||INR 33,000||INR 1,26,000||INR 30,000|
|Average CTC||INR 2.5 LPA||INR 2.95 LPA||INR 3.6 PA|
|Top Recruiting Company||IBM, Cognizant, Amazon, Accenture, Infosys.||Cisco, Amazon, Goldman Sachs, SAP Labs, IDEA Cellular, HSBC Bank, Teach For India||TCS, Genpact, IBM, Wipro, Infosys, Accenture|
BSc Environmental Science Syllabus
BSc Environmental Science is a 3-year course with 6 semesters. The syllabus may slightly differ from university to university, but the topics that are usually included in the course are mentioned below:
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|The Ecological System||The Ecological System|
|Natural Resources Management||Natural Resources Management|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Environmental economics||Environment and Development|
|Sustainable Development||Environmental Education|
|Resource Economics||Environmental Protection Strategies|
|Environmental Policies||Environmental Planning for the Future|
|Semester 5||Semester 6|
|Man and Environment||Ecological Resources Conservation|
|Air Pollution Control||Disaster Management|
|Water Pollution Control||Research Methodology|
|Diverse Pollution Control||Bachelor's Thesis|
BSc Environmental Science Job Prospects and Career Options
BSc Environmental Science is a good course to start a professional career because global organizations usually hire environmental science graduates for the role of an environmentalist.
The graduates can also engage themselves in research activities in various private and public sectors. They can also acquire jobs in the media sector as an environment journalist.
Here, we have listed some of the common job profiles of the BSc Environmental Science candidates along with their respective job descriptions and salaries:
|Job Profiles||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Environment Journalists||Environment Journalists are basically reporters who accumulate various information related to the environment and present them before the world. They help to create environmental awareness among the people.||INR 3 LPA - INR 4 LPA|
|Environment Photographers||Environment Photographers mostly work in dangerous locations and collect vital images related to the environment. These images are then published in journals, newspapers, and magazines.||INR 3 LPA - INR 4 LPA|
|Conservation HydrologistConservation Hydrologist||A conservation hydrologist is mainly responsible for taking care of water bodies. They collect water samples from various water bodies and test them to check the pollution level, pH, etc.||INR 4 LPA- INR 6 LPA|
|Director of Waste Management||Waste Management Officers take care of management and disposal of waste. They are responsible for recycling functions and waste treatment.||INR 5 LPA- INR 6 LPA|
|Catastrophe Modeler||A catastrophe modeler combines the different elements of science and technology and generates statistical data to realize the impact of manmade activities on nature.||INR 5 LPA- INR 6 LPA|
Here, we have graphically represented the minimum and the maximum salaries of the Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science students:
BSc Environmental Science Future Scope
After completion of BSc Environmental Science, the graduates can go for jobs or can opt to do higher studies. Some of the further scope after BSc Environmental Science are:
- Master’s degree: The graduates can choose to do a master’s degree program in various courses like MSc Environmental Science, Masters in sustainable forest resource management,Masters in Disaster Management, masters in renewable energy, Masters in Remote Sensing, etc.
- Management course: They can go for an MBA, which is eligible for graduates from any field. MBA can help the candidates get a higher pay scale within an organization.
- Prepare for government exams: The graduates can prepare for government exams and can get jobs as an environmentalist in the Pollution control board, forest reserves, etc.
- They can apply for jobs in private sectors. Most of the industries hire such graduates to properly manage their waste disposal.
- Join NGOs and work for the global cause or educate people about environmental issues.
- Work as an entrepreneur by starting a business that works on waste material.
BSc Environmental Science FAQs
Ques. What is the scope of a B.Sc in Environmental Science in India?
Ques. What should I do after I complete my B.Sc in Environmental Science?
Ques. What job opportunities do I have if I do a BSc in environmental science?
Ques. What subjects are taught in the B.Sc in Environmental Science course?
Ques. What entrance exams do I have to appear for in order to get admitted to the B.Sc. in Environmental Science course?
Ques. What should be my expected salary after completion of B.Sc in Environmental Science course?
Ques. Where can I study M.Sc in Environmental Science in India?
Ques. Which is the best university in India for B.Sc Environmental Science?
Ques. What is the average tuition fee for B.Sc in Environmental Science?
Ques. How is B.Sc in Environmental Science course different from the B.Tech in Environmental Engineering course?
Ques. What should I study in India after a BSc. in environmental science?
- Masters in Environmental Science
- Masters Degree in specialized Interdisciplinary Courses
- MBA Degree Courses
- MS Programs in Foreign Universities
Ques. Can someone opt for a BSc in environmental science after opting for PCM in class 12th?
Ques. When will the entrance tests be held for the current academic year