What is BSc Finance?
BSc Finance is an undergraduate program, the duration of which is 3 years. This course is ideal for students who wish to pursue their career in the field of Accountancy, Financial Management, Consulting, Investment Banking, Risk Management or any related field in the Finance sector.
Go through the full list of Top BSc Finance Colleges in India.
To be eligible for admission to BSc Finance course, candidates must have passed 10+2 or equivalent with an aggregate of at least 60% marks from a recognized board or university. The candidates must have studied Mathematics or Statistics as a compulsory subject at the 10+2 level.
Admission to BSc Finance course is generally done based on performance in national or state level entrance examinations such as NPAT or any other university specific exam. Some colleges also offer admission on the basis of marks obtained at the 10+2 level.
As BSc Finance is a new course, only a few colleges offer this program in India. Some of the top institutes offering BSc Finance course along with their Business Today rankings are provided in the table given below:
|Business Today 2019 Ranking||Name of the College/ University||Admission Procedure||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Package|
|9||Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai||Entrance-Based (NPAT 2020)||INR 2,84,000||INR 11,85,000|
|29||Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Bangalore||NPAT 2020||INR 2,86,500||INR 13,54,200|
|NA||SNDP Yogam Arts and Science College Pulpally, Wayanad||Entrance-Based||INR 22,500||INR 6,58,000|
|NA||Anil Surendra Modi School of Commerce, Mumbai||NPAT 2020||INR 2,91,500||INR 9,87,000|
|NA||Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Indore||NPAT 2020||INR 2,68,000||INR 8,78,000|
The average program fee to pursue this course in India is around INR 2,00,000 to INR 3,00,000 per annum, depending on the institute offering the course.
Some of the most common subjects in the BSc Finance course include Business Accounting, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Banking and Insurance, Debt Markets, Investment Analysis, etc.
After completing BSc Finance course, the candidates are generally hired in the position of Bankers, Accountants, Financial Analysts, etc.
The average annual starting salary offered to BSc Finance graduates in India ranges between INR 3,00,000 and 14,00,000, depending on the candidate's expertise in the field and the college offering the program.
What is the Admission Process for BSc Finance Course?
Most of the institutes and universities in India follow an entrance-based admission process for admission to BSc Finance program. Top BSc Finance colleges such as NMIMS Mumbai, Anil Surendra Modi School of Commerce, Mumbai etc. offer admission to this program through NPAT.
The steps of the entrance-based admission process are as follows:
Step 1 : Online Registration: Aspirants are required to register themselves for the entrance test by providing their email address, mobile number and password after which a login id will be generated.
Step 2 : Filling up the application form: After creating the login id, candidates have to fill up the online application form by providing their personal and academic details and enter the details of the course they are opting for.
Step 3 : Uploading of documents: In this step, candidates have to upload the necessary documents such as photograph, signature, id proof, Class 10 and 12 certificates etc.
Step 4 : Application Fee: On uploading the requisite documents, students have to pay the requisite amount of application fee using Credit Card, Debit Card or Net Banking.
Step 5 : Download Application Form: After paying the application fee, candidates have to save and download the form for future references.
Step 6 : Issuing of Admit Card: Based on the record of the details submitted by the students, the admission authority will issue the admit cards to the eligible students.
Step 7 : Entrance Examination: After getting the admit card, exam dates will be released by different conducting bodies. Candidates have to sit for the entrance test and qualify the same to get admission.
Step 8 : Declaration of Result: In the final stage, admission authorities will release the results of the entrance test they have appeared for.
Step 9 : Group Discussion and Personal Interview: The selected candidates have to appear for further admission rounds such as group discussion and personal interview.
Read more on the Admission Process followed by NMIMS.
What is the Eligibility Criteria for Admission to BSc Finance Course?
The minimum eligibility criteria for BSc Finance course are given below:
The candidates must have passed Class 12 or any other equivalent examination from a recognized board with an aggregate of at least 60% marks.
Aspirants must have studied Mathematics or Statistics as a compulsory subject in Class 12.
Candidate’s age must be below 25 years.
Candidates who have completed their Class 12 from Distance Learning are also eligible to apply to this program provided they have studied under an institute recognized by NIOS.
Which are the Top Entrance Exams for Admission to BSc Finance Course in India?
Some of the top colleges and universities which offer this Bachelor’s degree program follow an entrance exam for BSc Finance program.
With the help of entrance examinations, colleges/ universities will be able to check knowledge and ability of the student on the basis of which selection to a particular course takes place.
One of the top BSc Finance entrance examinations is given below.
This is a national level entrance test which is usually conducted in the month of June but has been postponed because of COVID-19. This exam offers admission to students to undergraduate degree programs in the Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies.
|Name of the Examination||Application Deadline||Date of Examination||Mode of Examination|
|NPAT 2020||May 12, 2020||June 26 - 28, 2020||Online|
How to Prepare for the BSc Finance Entrance Exam?
We have listed a few points below to help the aspirants crack the entrance exams.
- Syllabus and question structure: Students must have a proper idea about the syllabus of the exam and the question paper. The duration of NPAT is 120 minutes.
- Section-wise Preparation: Questions are mainly asked from the subjects including Quantitative Aptitude and Numerical Ability, Reasoning and General Intelligence and Proficiency in English Language. Therefore, it is very important for students to have a clear understanding of all these subjects.
- Previous-year Question Papers: The students must study the previous year’s question paper thoroughly. This will help them to understand the type of questions asked in the entrance examination.
- Time Management: This is the most important aspect of one’s preparation, so students are recommended to make a proper time table and follow the same strictly and they should not forget to practice time-based papers on a regular basis.
Read about NPAT Question Pattern and Marking Scheme in detail.
How to Get Admission to a Good BSc Finance College?
- You can get admission in a good BSc Finance College if you have a sound academic record in your Class 12 and also on the basis of your performance in various national or state level entrance tests.
- It is also pretty important to be mentally and physically prepared for further admission rounds i.e. Group Discussion and Personal Interview.
- Keep a track of all the important events related to admission so that you will never miss any deadline. Also, keep a track of eligibility criteria, course cut-off, application procedure, application fee and all the updates in newspapers, official websites etc.
- You should start your preparation for NPAT as early as possible so you have enough time for your preparation for the exam.
- Practice as many papers and questions as you can in order to enhance your time management skills, which seems pretty useful for your preparation.
BSc Finance: What is it About?
Some of the important points which help students to know what BSc Finance is all about are as follows:-
- BSc Finance course is basically designed for those students who are enthusiastic about the field of Finance. This course provides students with a degree of knowledge of concepts such as Financial Markets, Corporate Finance and Financial Management.
- The syllabus of BSc Finance program is well designed to make students valuable professionals for the industry and the market.
- On completion of this course, you can easily become a great Financial Advisor or an Accountant.
- While pursuing this program, students are not only provided with theoretical knowledge of Finance related subjects but they also get to know the application of these subjects in the Corporate World.
- The syllabus of BSc Finance includes subjects of Business Accounting, Quantitative Techniques, Management Accounting, Corporate Finance, Debt Markets, Banking, Insurance, Financial Modelling etc.
- This course is basically a foundation course that will enable students to enhance their basic knowledge in their field of study.
BSc Finance Course Highlights
Some of the major highlights of the BSc Finance course are provided in the table given below:
|Duration of the Course||3 years|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||Passed 10+2 with an aggregate of 60% marks from a recognized board withMathematics/ Statistics as compulsory subjects|
|Admission Process||Entrance Based Admission|
|Average Course Fee||INR 2,00,000 to INR 3,00,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 3,00,000 to INR 14,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Organizations||HDFC Bank, ICICI Lombard, Kotak Securities, KPMG India, PepsiCo etc.|
|Top Job Positions||Investment Banker, Financial Analyst, Accountant, Actuary, Credit Analyst etc.|
Why Should You Study BSc Finance?
There are many benefits of pursuing a BSc Finance degree course. Some of the prominent ones are as follows:
- There are ample jobs for BSc Finance candidates. On completion of the BSc Finance course, students easily get jobs as an Investment Banker, Financial Analyst, Accountant, Credit Analyst etc. in numerous private or govt. banks or financial organizations.
- If you have an interest in Banking and Finance then you should definitely look forward to pursuing this course and move ahead in your career.
- With this program, students are turned into efficient finance professionals with the involvement of a large number of subjects.
- Jobs for BSc Finance candidates are available in numerous sectors such as Banking sector, Government or Private Financial Institutions, etc.
- Students with this degree in good skills can easily get a job with an average salary package ranging between INR 3,00,000 - INR 14,00,000 per annum.
BSc Finance vs BBA Finance
Both BBA Finance and BSc Finance are undergraduate courses and are pretty popular among students, owing to a great career scope. The basic points of difference between these two courses are provided in the table below.
|Parameters||BBA Finance||BSc Finance|
|Qualification||Bachelor of Business Administration||Bachelor of Science in Finance|
|Course Overview||This course is a broad one which comprises subjects including Finance, Accounts, Management, Business Law etc.||This course has much focused coursework on Finance. It includes all the relevant topics including Accounting, Investment, Insurance, etc.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 2,00,000 to INR 3,00,000||INR 2,00,000 to INR 3,00,000|
|Duration||3 years||3 years|
|Eligibility Criteria||Passed Class 12 or equivalent from a recognized board||Passed Class 12 or equivalent from a recognized board with Mathematics/ Statistics as a compulsory subject.|
|Admission Process||Entrance-Based followed by Counselling||Entrance-Based followed by Group Discussion and Interview|
|Top Colleges||Delhi University, Chandigarh University, Amity University etc.||NMIMS, Mumbai, SNDP Yogam Arts and Science College Pulpally, Wayanad etc.|
|Average Salary||INR 3,00,000 - INR 15,00,000||INR 3,00,000 to INR 14,00,000|
|Top Job Areas||Marketing firms, MNCs, Financial Institutions etc.||Banking and Financial Organizations|
|Top Job Positions||Marketing Manager, Business Consultant, Human Resource Manager etc.||Financial Advisor, Actuary, Investment Banker, Accountant etc.|
Also, go through the full list of top BBA Finance Colleges in India.
Source : College Websites
Which are the Top Colleges for Studying BSc Finance in India?
Some of the top colleges for BSc Finance program are provided in the table given below:
|Collegedunia Rating||Name of the College/ University||Location||Average Semester Fees||Average Placement Package|
|8.7/10||Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies||Indore||INR 2,68,000||INR 8,78,000|
|7.8/10||Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies||Mumbai||INR 2,84,000||INR 11,85,000|
|7.8/10||Anil Surendra Modi School of Commerce||Mumbai||INR 2,91,500||INR 9,87,000|
|7.6/10||Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies||Bangalore||INR 2,86,500||INR 13,54,200|
|4/10||SNDP Yogam Arts and Science College Pulpally||Wayanad||INR 22,500||INR 6,58,000|
|NA||School of Commerce, NMIMS University||Bangalore||INR 2,86,500||INR 11,50,000|
Source : College Websites
College Comparison for BSc Finance
The basic difference between the top colleges offering BSc Finance courses for the convenience of students is provided in the table given below.
|Name of the College||Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai||Anil Surendra Modi School of Commerce, Mumbai|
|Overview||NMIMS is a deemed university which is located in Mumbai and is among the top-ranked management institutes across India. This institute offers a large number of management programs at the UG and PG level.||The Anil Surendra Modi School of Commerce is a deemed business school located in Mumbai. The aim of this institute is to impart quality undergraduate and postgraduate management education.|
|Location||Mumbai, Maharashtra||Mumbai, Maharashtra|
|Ranking||Business Today 2019 - 9||NA|
|Eligibility Criteria||Passed Class 12 from a recognized board with an aggregate of at least 60% marks with Mathematics/ Statistics as a compulsory subject.||Passed Class 12 from a recognized board with an aggregate of at least 60% marks with Mathematics/ Statistics as a compulsory subject.|
|Admission Process||NPAT 2020||NPAT 2020|
|Average Semester Fees||INR 2,84,000||INR 2,91,500|
|Average Salary Package||INR 11,85,000||INR 9,87,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||HDFC Bank, ICICI Lombard, Kotak Securities, KPMG India, PepsiCo etc.||ICICI Bank, KPMG India etc.|
Source: College Websites
What are the Subjects Taught During BSc Finance Course?
The detailed semester-wise syllabus and subjects for BSc Finance program is provided in the table given below:
|Business Accounting and Analysis||Management Accounting|
|Financial Markets and Institutions||Principles of Marketing|
|Principles of Management||IT Applications|
|Quantitative Techniques - I||Quantitative Aptitude - II|
|Corporate Communications||Corporate Finance - I|
|Debt Markets||Business Policy and Strategic Management|
|Financial Statement Analysis and Business Valuation||Alternate Investment Markets|
|Corporate Finance - II||Financial Modelling|
|Operations Research||Business Analytics|
|Banking and Insurance||Human Behaviour at Workplace|
|Corporate and Business Law||Financial Reporting Status and Analytics|
|Research Methodology||Global Investment Performance Standards (GIPS) and Financial Reporting|
|Investment Analysis and Portfolio Management||Forex Markets and Financial Risk Management|
|Derivatives||Direct and Indirect Tax|
|Environmental Management and Corporate Governance||Financial Planning and Wealth Management|
|Project I||Project - II|
What are the Job Profiles and Career Options Available After Completing BSc Finance Course?
- With the help of a BSc Finance degree, students will be able to work as Finance Professionals in top organizations.
- This program holds a large number of opportunities both in terms of jobs and higher education.
- On completion of the BSc Finance course, students will be able to work as a Financial Analyst, Associate and Retail Banker, Tax Advisor etc.
- After getting a BSc Finance degree, students can easily become a successful banker and work in a large number of banking organizations.
- BSc Finance graduates will be able to find jobs in numerous sectors including government and private Banks, MNCs etc.
Some of the top professional jobs available to BSc Finance graduates along with the corresponding salaries are provided in the table given below:
|Job Position||Job Profile||Average Annual Salary|
|Investment Banker||The job profile of an Investment Banker is to help clients in raising money from Capital Markets and also to assist clients in prospective mergers and acquisitions. Investment Bankers also help clients in choosing the best investment opportunities.||INR 8,74,000|
|Financial Analyst||Financial Analysts are known for determining cost of operations, identifying the financial status of a firm and recommending financial actions.||INR 6,87,000|
|Accountant||An Accountant is responsible for maintaining accounts and financial data of a particular firm.||INR 4,28,000|
|Investor Relations Associate||An Investor Relations Associate is known for managing relations of Banking or Financial corporations with their respective investors.||INR 3,58,000|
|Actuary||The job of an Actuary is to forecast the probability of occurring of certain events along with calculating their financial aspects by using the knowledge of Statistics and Finance.||INR 7,24,000|
Source : Payscale
What is the Future Scope and Further Studies Option Available After BSc Finance Course?
On completion of the BSc Finance course, there are a large number of job opportunities and career options. Students can choose any of the careers in accordance to their skills and interests. Some of the topmost career choices that students can opt for after completion of BSc Finance program are provided below:
- MBA Finance: After pursuing BSc Finance, most of the students opt for a Master's degree in Finance. You can pursue MBA Finance from any of the colleges offering this program. It is always recommended to go for higher studies after completing this course otherwise, it will not be that much beneficial.
- Chartered Accountancy: On completion of BSc Finance, candidates can opt for this course as the job opportunities in this sector are pretty high and you can also get highest paid positions.
So, BSc in Finance program offers a large number of promising career options and you can choose according to your skills and areas of interest. You can pursue higher studies or you can also look for a decent job after completing this program. It all depends on you whether you want to do the job after completing this course or you wish to study further.
BSc Finance FAQs
Ques. What is the full form of BSc Finance?
Ans. The full form of BSc Finance is Bachelor of Science in Finance.
Ques. What are the career options after BSc Finance program?
Ans. After pursuing BSc Finance program, you can opt for jobs as an Accountant, Actuary, Financial Advisor or you can also go for further studies such as MBA in Finance or professional courses such as CA or CS.
Ques. What are the admission criteria for admission to BSc Finance course in Indian colleges/ universities?
Ans. Almost each and every college conducts its own entrance examination for admission to BSc Finance program.
Ques. Where can I pursue a BSc Finance program in India?
Ans. Some of the top universities and institutes offering BSc Financeprogram in India are provided in the table below:
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies NMIMS, Mumbai
- Anil Surendra Modi School of Commerce, Mumbai
- School of Commerce, NMIMS University, Bangalore
Ques. Is BSc Finance a good career option?
Ans. Definitely Yes. BSc Finance is a good career option and promises students a sound career in this field. One can become an Accountant, Actuary, Financial Advisor etc. after completing this course.
Ques. Is Mathematics or Statistics required for admission to BSc Finance course?
Ans. Candidates must have studied Mathematics/ Statistics as compulsory subjects in Class 12.
Ques. I have had Biology as a compulsory subject instead of Mathematics in Class 12. Am I still eligible to apply to BSc Finance courses in Indian colleges/ universities?
Ans. No; you cannot apply to BSc Finance program in Indian colleges/ universities.
Ques. How tough is the BSc Finance course?
Ans. BSc Finance course is not at all tough. If you have interest in Banking, Accounting and Finance then it seems easy to you. Basically, it totally depends on your interest.
Ques. Which is better between BBA and BSc Finance?
Ans. Bachelor of Business Administration i.e. BBA is broader which includes subjects of Finance, Accounting, Management, Business Law etc. whereas BSc Finance restricts itself to just Finance related subjects.
Ques. What is a BSc degree in Finance?
Ans. In a BSc Finance degree, students are taught to analyse the valuation of securities and find ways to study the influence of the monetary and banking system on economic activities.