What is BSc Food Science and Nutrition?
Bachelor of Science in Food Science and Nutrition is a full time, undergraduate Food Technology program of three years.
It mainly focuses on the interface between Human Nutrition and Food Science as well as an integration of the two disciplines. The core subjects present in the curriculum are epidemiology, food microbiology, food science, public health, physiology practical etc.
The minimum qualification required for B.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition degree program is a candidate who should have passed 10+2 or equivalent qualification from a recognized school board.
Some colleges and universities are also known to carry out direct and merit based admission processes. The average B.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition fee in India is INR 2,000 to 18,000 per month.
Some of the top universities and colleges offering B.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition course in India are:
|College||Fee Structure||Admission Process||Average Salary Package|
|Barrack pore Rastraguru Surendranath College||INR 9,875||Merit Based||INR 2,00,000|
|Hiralal Mazumdar Memorial College for Women||INR 7,410||Merit Based||INR 2,00,000|
|Dr. BMN College of Home Science||INR 12,000||Merit Based||INR 3,00,000|
|Andhra University||INR 99,614||Merit Based||INR 5,50,000|
|Martin Luther Christian University||INR 1,01,000||Merit Based||INR 3,00,000|
The B.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition course graduates can work as a Fitness Trainer & Aerobics Instructor, Food Research Analyst, Food Services Manager, Food Technologist, Nutrition & Dietician, Teacher & Lecturer etc.
The average annual salary offered to BSc Food Science and Nutrition professionals ranges between INR 2,00,000 to 4,00,000.
What is the BSc Food Science and Nutrition Admission Process?
Admission process is very simple for BSc Food Science and Nutrition. All the colleges which offer this course grant admission on the basis of merit. The following are the major pathways through which admissions in Bachelor of Literature course takes place:
- Log in to the official website of the college/university and register yourself.
- After logging into your admission account, fill the application form with personal and education details, course preference, etc.
- Upload all the documents that are needed as per the college requirement.
- A merit list of the top candidates will be released by the college.
What are the BSc Food Science and Nutrition Eligibility Criteria?
Candidates seeking admission need to fulfil the following B.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition eligibility criteria:
- Cleared 10+2 or any other equivalent qualification from a recognized school board.
- A minimum score of at least 45% in the qualifying examinations
- 5% relaxation is considered for reserved category students.
How to Get Admission in a Good BSc Food Science and Nutrition College?
Check the mentioned below points to get help in getting admission to a good B.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition college:
- Since most of the B.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition admission are done on the basis of the candidate's performance in the qualifying examination, so it is important to get a good score in the Class 12th exam.
- It is equally important to be mentally and physically prepared for the subsequent rounds of admission process i.e. counselling and personal interview round.
- Look out for the eligibility criteria, cut-offs selection criteria, admission process, application procedure, and other updates to benefit you for better preparation.
- Stay updated on all the important dates of the admission process, application dates so that you will never miss any deadline.
BSc Food Science and Nutrition: What is it about?
BSc Food Science & Nutrition concerns the field of Science and emphasis is given on food, nutrition, diet and their production, management, preservation, etc. Some of the important points in regards to the course:
- Food science primarily deals with the food processing, production, preservation, quality control, storage and transportation etc. and the nutrition technology deals with the aspects such as nutritional value of food, food intake, diet etc.
- The B.Sc. in Food Science and Nutrition degree program mainly focuses on the interface between Human Nutrition and Food Science as well as on the integration of the two disciplines.
- This program concentrates on the aspects of nutrition, the techniques of preservation and its importance to health.
- B.Sc. in Food Science and Nutrition course provide students with the ability to perform an individual study on the subject and it also takes up higher studies of Masters and Research program in the field.
- This curriculum is divided between theory and practical study and the project work and research help the students gain a deeper insight into the subject.
- This degree program aims to skill the students with knowledge of the field to gain profitable scopes in matters of career.
BSc Food Science and Nutrition: Course Highlights
Some of the major highlights of the B.Sc. Food Science and Nutritionist course are given below:
|Course||B.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition|
|Full form||Bachelor of Science in Food Science and Nutrition|
|Average tuition fee||INR 2,000 to INR 18,000 per month|
|Job Positions||Fitness Trainer & Aerobics Instructor, Food Research Analyst, Food Services Manager, Food Technologist, Nutrition & Dietician, Teacher & Lecturer, Marketing Food & Nutrition Manager etc.|
|Top recruiting areas||Agriculture Sector (research), Colleges & Universities, Food & Nutrition Consultancy, Food Processing Companies, Hospitals, Marketing (Branding) Food & Nutrition Companies etc.|
|Average salary||INR 2,00,000 to 4,00,000|
Why Study BSc Food Science and Nutrition?
You should consider studying B.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition course because of the following advantages:
- After passing the B.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition course candidates have a lot of career scopes in the food service field, health care field and research & development as well.
- The requirement for skilled professionals who can watch out for solid and healthy food production is additionally expanding these days, so a mass-scale sound and eco-friendly production of food can be affected.
- Due to the rapid urbanization and lifestyle changes happening worldwide, the branch of food science, a relatively new discipline is growing exponentially.
Course Comparison: BSc Food Science and Nutrition vs BSc Nutrition and Dietetics
B.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition and B.Sc. Nutrition and Dietetics are almost similar courses. Below in the given table are the key differences between these two courses in terms of orientation, course structure, fees, career opportunities, and alike:
|Course||B.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition||B.Sc. Nutrition and Dietetics|
|Full form||Bachelor of Science in Food Science and Nutrition||Bachelor of Science in Nutrition and Dietetics|
|Duration||3 years||3 years|
|Overview||It mainly focuses on the interface between Human Nutrition and Food Science as well as on the integration of the two disciplines.||It focuses on nutrition and dietetics and it does not involve the study of other food management aspects.|
|Average tuition fee||INR 2,000 to INR 18,000||INR 50,000 - INR 2,50,000|
|Job Positions||Fitness Trainer & Aerobics Instructor, Food Research Analyst, Food Services Manager, Food Technologist, Nutrition & Dietician, Teacher & Lecturer, Marketing Food & Nutrition Manager etc.||Nutritionists, Dieticians, Food Quality Manager, Clinical Dieticians, Nutrition Specialist, Food Processing Manager, and alike.|
|Top recruiting areas||Agriculture Sector (research), Colleges & Universities, Food & Nutrition Consultancy, Food Processing Companies, Hospitals, Marketing (Branding) Food & Nutrition Companies etc.||Nursing Home Facilities, Catering Departments, Hospitals, Health Department, Restaurants, and many more.|
|Average salary||INR 2,00,000 to 4,00,000||INR 2,00,000 - 7,00,000|
What are the Top BSc Food Science and Nutrition Colleges?
There are a number of reputed colleges and universities offering B.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition course. Some of those colleges and universities are enlisted below for your reference:
|College||Fee Structure||Average Salary Package|
|Barrack pore Rastraguru Surendranath College||INR 9,875||INR 2,00,000|
|Hiralal Mazumdar Memorial College for Women||INR 7,410||INR 2,00,000|
|Dr. BMN College of Home Science||INR 12,000||INR 3,00,000|
|Andhra University||INR 99,614||INR 5,50,000|
|Martin Luther Christian University||INR 1,01,000||INR 3,00,000|
|Dr. M.G.R. Educational and Research Institute||INR 60,000||INR 2,00,000|
|Assam Down Town University||INR 1,00,000||INR 3,50,000|
|Mohammad Ali Jauhar University||INR 26,200||INR 5,50,000|
|Sun International Institute for Tourism & Management||INR 1,30,000||INR 3,00,000|
|Budge Budge College||INR 8,930||INR 3,40,000|
BSc Food Science and Nutrition: College Comparison
The table below shows differentiates between the top universities/ colleges B.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition in India in terms of NIRF 2020 ranking, course structure, fees, job opportunities, and facilities available:
|Parameter||Andhra University||Dr. M.G.R. Educational and Research Institute|
|Overview||It was established in 1926 by Mr. C R Reddy. It has an exemplary record of catering to the educational needs and solving the sociological problems of the region.||It is deemed to be a university in the year 2003 as per UGC and MHRD, New Delhi. It is accredited with the ‘A’ Grade by NAAC and it was approved by the NBA.|
|NIRF 2020 ranking||36||151|
|Admission process||Merit based||Merit based|
|Average annual fees||INR 99,614||INR 60,000|
|Average annual package||INR 5,50,000||INR 2,00,000|
|Top recruiters||Infosys, Wipro, Accenture, Capgemini, Icon trading, Hexagon Core companies like L&T, Tata, Aqua green, Bosch, Ramco group etc.||Lens kart, Mahindra and Mahindra, Royal Enfield, HCL, DELL, etc.|
What is the BSc Food Science and Nutrition Syllabus?
B.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition course comprises 6 semesters in total. The semester wise syllabus of the subject is listed below:
|SEMESTER I||SEMESTER II|
|Human Nutrition (A)||Human Nutrition (B)|
|Food Science (A)||Food Science (B)|
|Physiology (A)||Physiology (B)|
|Public Health||Food Microbiology|
|Physiology Practical||Fundamentals of Food Preparation Practical|
|SEMESTER III||SEMESTER IV|
|Food Commodities (A)||Nutritional Biochemistry (A)|
|Food Commodities (B)||Nutritional Biochemistry (B)|
|Sanitation and Hygiene||Diet Therapy (A1)|
|Project Formulation||Diet Therapy (A2)|
|Practical: Community Nutrition||Diet Therapy (B1)|
|Practical: Food Science||Diet Therapy (B2)|
|SEMESTER V||SEMESTER VI|
|Practical: Nutritional Biochemistry||Diet Therapy (A) Practical|
|Food Preservation Practical||Project Formulation|
|Practical: Detection of Food Adulteration||Diet Therapy (B) Practical|
What are the Books for BSc Food Science and Nutrition?
In the Bachelor of Science in Food Science and Nutrition course, books carry crucial and comprehensive knowledge about every aspect of food. Some popular books Food Science and Nutrition on are:
|Name of the Book||Author|
|Dictionary of Food and Nutrition||Sharma/Caralli|
|Food Science and Nutrition||Sunetra Roday|
|Question Bank on Food and Nutrition||M R Prajapati|
|Food Science, Nutrition and Safety||Suri/Malhotra|
|Fundamentals of Foods, Nutrition and Diet Therapy||Sumati R Mudambi|
What are BSc Food Science and Nutrition Specialization?
Some of the popular course specializations for B.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition are discussed below:
|Food Science||Food Science is a multidisciplinary field which generally involves subjects like chemistry, biochemistry, nutrition, microbiology and engineering to give students scientific knowledge to solve the real problems associated with the many facets of the food systems.|
|Food Microbiology||Food Microbiology is a field which publishes original research articles, short research communications and the review papers which deals with all the aspects of microbiology of foods.|
|Food Preservation and Safety||Food Preservation and Safety is the modern biological approach to improving consumer health that explores the most recent and investigated hot topics in food safety, microbial contamination, food-borne diseases and advanced preservation methods.|
What are the BSc Food Science and Nutrition Job Profiles?
Some of the popular job profiles that candidates can pursue after completing their B.Sc. in Food Science and Nutrition course are listed below:
|Job Position||Description||Average Salary|
|Dietician||The responsibility of a dietician is to assess the client’s needs and advise them proper diet plans which can help them meet the nutrition needs as well as maintain good health.||INR 3,00,000|
|Nutritionist||Nutritionists are responsible for creating nutritional charts and guiding people to follow stipulated nutrition schedules for enhancing their health and helping them maintain a good lifestyle.||INR 4,00,000|
|Food Research Analyst||The food research analysts test the quality of food, collect data about the physical and chemical composition of food and drink products, analyze the quality and formulate charts, graphs, and reports.||INR 5,00,000|
|Food Services Manager||Food Services Managers duties are to hiring, interviewing and training employees, supervising the process of food production, and managing inventories.||INR 5,50,000|
|Food Technologist||A food technologist supervises the development and manufacturing aspects of food production, modify the recipes and manage production on a large scale.||INR 3,50,000|
What is the BSc Food Science and Nutrition Future Scope?
On completion of B.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition course, candidates can opt for a wide range of professions.
- Graduates can also go for the research and development degree programs within the industry.
- Applicants having social welfare bent of mind can for public/social welfare by joining NGOs and the like organizations.
- After passing the course candidates have a lot of career options in the field of food service, health care field and research & development as well.
- After pursuing B.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition, you can also go for further studies such as M.Sc. (Food Science and Nutrition), Ph.D. (Food Science and Nutrition).
BSc Food Science and Nutrition: FAQs
Ques. What are the eligibility criteria to pursue B.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition program?
Ques. Is there any entrance exam for the admission to B.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition program in Indian universities and colleges?
Ques. Where can I pursue B.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition program in India?
Ques. What is the placement scenario for B.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition graduates?
Ques. What is the fee structure of B.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition course in India?
Ques. What is the salary of B.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition graduate?
Ques. What are the subjects in B.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition?
Ques. Which is better, food science with nutrition or dietetics with nutrition?
Ques. What are the benefits of pursuing B.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition course?