BSc Interior Design is a 3 year undergraduate course where students learn to design comfortable spaces and deal with the planning and designing of the interiors of commercial or personal buildings, apartments or houses. Students learn to visualise and display interior designing ideas and plans which are effective and more career oriented and an extensive knowledge of basic and advanced interior designing ideas to create the best places suited for their clients.
Know More About Interior Design Courses
- Candidates must have passed their 10+2 examination from a recognised board.
- Candidates must score at least 50% marks in their 10+2 examination.
Check: BSc Interior Design Colleges
BSc Interior Design fees ranges from INR 3 to 15 LPA depending upon the colleges/universities a candidate chooses. After successful completion of the course, a candidate can easily earn an average starting salary of INR 3 to 4 LPA.
BSc Interior Design: Course Highlights
|Examination type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||10+2 with 50% marks|
|Admission Process||Merit and/or Entrance Based|
|Course Fee||INR 3-15 LPA|
|Average Salary||INR 3- 10 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Sleek, Hafele, Greenply. Natuzzi, Skets , Studio, Arcop|
|Job Positions||Interior Designer, Furniture Designer, Visual Merchandiser, Exhibition Designer|
BSc Interior Design: Admission Process
BSc Interior Design Admission can take place in two ways. A candidate applying for the BSc Interior Design Course can either qualify for admission on the basis of merit i.e, marks obtained in Class 12th examination or through a national level entrance examination.
- Candidates should apply on the college’s official website.
- Candidates must login with their credentials and fill the admission form.
- The candidate can either wait for the merit list (in case of a merit based admission) or prepare for the entrance exam.
- A merit list is released and qualified candidates must secure their admission after paying the admission fee.
BSc Interior Design: Eligibility
Candidates who want to take admission to the BSc Interior Design Course must fulfil the following minimum eligibility criteria:
- Candidates should have passed their 10+2 examinations.
- Candidates must secure a minimum of 50% marks in the Class 12th or equivalent examination from a recognised board.
- In case of a merit based admission candidates must aim to secure more than 85% marks.
- Candidates must be more than 16 years of age.
- In case of admission through AIEED, candidates who are studying in Class 10+1 can also apply for the AIEED. If the candidates qualify, they will be eligible for direct admission in the subsequent academic session
BSc Interior Design: Entrance Exams
Most colleges offer admission to the BSc Interior Design Course based on the marks obtained in Class 12th Examination. However, some offer it through the following national level entrance exams.
|Exam Name||Conducting Body||Registration Dates||Exam Date|
|All India Entrance Examination for Design (AIEED)||ARCH Academy of Design||November 2020- February 2021||March 11- 15, 2021|
|NID DAT||National Institute of Design||January 9, 2021 - February 17, 2021||March 14, 2021|
|CEED||IIT Bombay||September 09 - October 10, 2020||January 17, 2021|
|NATA||Council of Architecture (CoA)||March 5 - March 28, 2021||April 10, 2021|
BSc Interior Design: How to Prepare for the Entrance Exam?
- Know your syllabus: Candidates must be thorough with the preparation so that they can perform well in the entrance exam.
- Practice Every Topic: Practice each and every possible subject, drawing and other topics rigorously.
- Practice according to the paper pattern: Study as per the paper pattern and be well aware of the marking scheme, types of questions asked, and the answering strategy.
- Solve Practice and Mock Tests: Keep solving as many mock tests as possible to deal with the real-time exam pressure and be sure of your solving speed.
BSc Interior Design: How to Get Admission in a Good College?
- Research about the institute’s admission process and eligibility criteria.
- Prepare for the necessary entrance exam conducted or score well in Class 12th examinations.
- Research about the college’s reviews, current students, alumni, facilities etc.
BSc Interior Design: What is it About?
The BSc Interior Design course offers a specialization under the Bachelor of Science domain.
- The program is designed to instill a creative blent in its aspiring students.
- The course deals with designing, creating, renovating and planning a space for people.
- The course provides an extensive knowledge in the range of basic and advanced interior design to create comfortable spaces from the scratch.
- Students also go through a training session for various computer-related courses and expertise in CAD, 3-D designing and space management.
- The course also teaches students some basic fundamentals of graphic design and other display and design software.
Why Study BSc Interior Design
The BSc Interior Design course is equipped with an advanced understanding and knowledge of the science behind designing interiors for a personal or professional space.
- The course is designed to widen the knowledge and understanding of candidates scientifically.
- Candidates learn about various softwares that can be useful in designing spaces.
- Candidates also learn fundamentals of graphic designing and 2D and 3D softwares.
BSc Interior Design Course Comparison
Many students often take BSc Interior Design and BDes in Interior Design to be almost similar courses. Hence the following table enumerates the key differences between them.
|Parameters||BSc Interior Design||BDes in Interior Design|
|Overview||A specialisation in the Bachelor of Science field that helps students to learn the basics and fundamentals of interior designing along with the use of new technology and computer softwares||BDes in Interior Design deals with the art and science of understanding people’s behavior to create functional spaces within a building. It is a specific design course.|
|Duration||3 Years||4 Years|
|Admission Process||10+2: Merit and Entrance Exam||10+2: Merit and Entrance Exam|
|Eligibility Criteria||Minimum 50% marks in 10+2 exams||Minimum 60% marks in 10+2 exams|
|Average Fees||INR 3-15 LPA||INR 10,000- 5LPA|
|Average Salary Package||INR 3-10 LPA||INR 5-12 LPA|
BSc Interior Design: Top Colleges
BSc Interior Design: Syllabus
The course teaches students the principles of design and design elements using various new technologies and new softwares.Some of the subjects included in the course are as follows:
|Introduction to Design||Communication Skills||Planning|
|Concepts of Geometry||Design Drawing and Graphics||Designing|
|Color Wheels||Introduction to Interior Design||Applying Interior Design|
BSc Interior Design: Jobs
After successfully pursuing this course, candidates have a wide range of job opportunities available. Candidates can choose the job profiles that best fit their interests, skills and knowledge. Some of the most popular job positions and their average salary are mentioned below.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary|
|Interior Designer||Interior Designers are planners who study about a certain space and plan a particular design as per the needs of their clients.||INR 2-4 LPA|
|Towns Planner||A town planner is someone who is responsible for planning towns, urban areas and develops cities and towns.||INR 1 - 3 LPA|
|Draughtsman||A draughtsman is a drafter, an artist who creates and plans for things like machinery, buildings, electronics, infrastructure, sections, etc||INR 2 - 5 LPA|
|Landscape Designer||Landscape designers are people who are responsible for planning and developing landscapes or something that deals with Nature. Landscape Designers develop parks, college campuses etc.||INR 2-5 LPA|
|3D Artist||A 3D artist creates 3D models, animations, and visual effects to be used in various creative projects such as films, video games, or digital advertising campaigns. This involves creating special effects to match specific briefs using a combination of hand-drawing techniques and computer software.||INR 2 -4 LPA|
Know More: BSc Interior Design Jobs & Career Options
Bsc Interior Design: Future Scope
BSc Interior design is a trending course, and hence has a lot of market value. Students with a BSc in Interior Design degree can choose from a lot of options for future prospects and career options. Some of them are:-
- Masters in Interior Design: One can easily pursue an MA in Interior Design after successfully completing the BSc Interior Design.It is a two year postgraduate program and helps candidates to increase their knowledge and gain a better understanding of interior design.
- MBA in Interior Design: MBA is an extremely popular course these days. Gaining an MBA Specialization in the field of Interior Design will help candidates have an understanding that is involved in designing and manipulating interiors of residential and commercial spaces. Pursuing an MBA in Interior Design will be beneficial for students as it is a course that specializes in the fields of architecture, infrastructure management and real estate management.
- MSc In Interior Design: MSc Interior Design is a perfect fit for candidates who wish to pursue a career as a Interior Designer using the latest scientific applications such as 3D, 2D techniques.
BSc Interior Design: FAQs
Ques. What can I do after BSc Interior Design?
Ans. After completing your graduation in BSc Interior Design, one can either look for jobs or study further.
Ques. Is BSc Interior Design tough?
Ans. If a candidate is hard working and interested in pursuing BSc Interior Design, they might not find it extremely difficult but interesting.
Ques. What is the average fee for BSc Interior Design?
Ans. The average fee depends upon the institute a candidate is admitted to. However , the average fee can start from INR 20,000 and go up to INR 2 LPA or even more.
Ques. Is Interior design a good career?
Ans. After completing BSc Interior Design can work and design studios, firms, etc. A candidate can also work in private design studios, PWDs, Government sector jobs, Town Planning Departments etc. Since there are wide options available to choose from, Interior Designing is definitely a good career option.
Ques. Is getting into BSc Interior Design difficult?
Ans. The admission process is quite simple. A candidate can get into the course on the basis of merit or by scoring well in an entrance exam. A candidate must be well prepared for the entrance exam to get admission in a good college.
Ques. In which sectors can a person with BSc Interior Design work?
Ans. After successfully completing BSc Interior Design, a candidate can work in various private and government sectors like Municipal corporations, hotels, architectural firms, etc.
Ques.What can I do after BSc Interior Design?