BTech Applied Mechanics is a 4 year UG course that studies the three major areas that are solid mechanics, fluid mechanics, and material science. It deals with the basics of mechanics providing theoretical as well as practical knowledge.
|Note: Students who wish to pursue their education in Management field or get a career boost, can check the MBA course.|
Candidates seeking admission in this course must have completed Intermediate from a Maths stream. Admission is based on Entrance basis for BTech Applied Mechanics Courses, However few colleges take students on the basis of merit basis. Below given is a list if few colleges offering the course:
BTech Applied Mechanics Admission Process
The Stepwise Procedure of the Admission in BTech Applied Mechanics by top institutes are given below:
- The aspirants are expected to check the notification and the availability of the application form.
- After filling up the application wait for the release of admit card and appear in the exam which is almost 3 hours.
- After a few weeks the marks will be released on the official websites/portal of the college or university.
- Soon the top institutes for BTech in Applied Mechanics will release their cut off.
- The aspirants will be evaluated on the basis of the score obtained in the entrance exam as well as the marks of the last qualifying examination.
- The institutes will release a provisional merit list followed by merit list.
- Aspirants who managed to secure a place in the merit list will be called for the personal interview.
- After going through the personal interview round candidates will be evaluated and selected candidates will get a call from the given institutions.
Checkout: Top Ranked BTech Colleges in India
BTech Applied Mechanics: Eligibility Criteria
Below given is the eligibility criteria that a student must have to be eligible for BTech Applied Mechanics:
Candidates must meet the minimum criteria of having a science stream in Intermediate with Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry as the subjects .
BTech Applied Mechanics: Entrance Examinations
Below given are the most common entrance exams that a candidate has to clear in order to get admission into BTech Applied MEchanics Course:
|Exam Name||Application Period||Exam Date|
|JEE||January 27,2021||February 23 – 26, 2021 March 15 – 18, 2021 April 27 – 30, 2021 May 24 – 28, 2021|
|SRMJEEE||March 31,2021||April 17|
BTech Applied Mechanics: Entrance Exam Preparation Tips
- Aspirants need to set their mind, prepare well in order to clear the cut off of the examination.
- They must clear up the basics as the basics will form the base for the more advanced chapters later on. A strong understanding of the basics will be useful for the exam.
- Knowing the JEE Exam Pattern helps to prepare in a more strategic way.
- The general syllabus is quite similar to JEE pattern candidates should practice more aptitude and reasoning problems.
- Candidates must allocate time separately for the more difficult topics and If needed, approach a teacher or a tutor to help go over the topics again.
- Habit of following the trend in the industry can be beneficial during personal interviews conducted by some colleges.
BTech Applied Mechanics: Tips to get Best Colleges
- A proper strategy development is must as most of the top institutes consider the National based Entrance Exam or privately conducted exam.
- Students must be aware of the types of questions and the difficulty level of the questions asked in different entrance exams.
- Since questions are asked from the syllabus of the Intermediate level of schooling, going over the material and notes would be sufficient.
- Candidates must do a revision of all basic concepts to score good marks and get the best college.
- Some entrance exams have an English section and an Aptitude section. Preparation for such sections can be by practicing past papers.
- A scheduled timetable and an effective strategy while studying can help secure the admission.
- Solving previous year question papers can be a good option to get an idea of the type of question a candidate can expect while giving the entrance examination.
BTech Applied Mechanics: What is it all about?
- BTech Applied Mechanics is one of the unique fields of engineering that forms the principles of Engineering, Physics and Materials Science for the design, analysis, manufacturing and maintenance of mechanical systems.
- This course makes the students more innovative so that they can come up with such ideas to complex problems that are faced regularly in an industry.
- The objective of the BTech Applied Mechanics is to conduct research and provide contemporary education for creating sustainable efficient designs.
- Graduates of this course design everything from batteries, equipment to medical devices and from personal computers, air conditioners, automobile engines to electric power plants.
- The curriculum of this course includes Design, Production, Operation of machinery with core areas including Mechanics, Kinematics, Thermodynamics, Material Science, Structural Analysis, Electricity etc.
BTech Applied Mechanics: Course Highlights
The basic information about the course is mentioned in the chart below
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Technology in Applied Mechanics|
|Eligibility||Valid score in BITSAT/JEE Advance|
|Admission Process||Class XII optional subjects and on the basis of the set cut off by the colleges.|
|Course Fee||6Lac approx|
|Average Salary||7.08 Lac (varies country wise)|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Hidesign, Ernst & Young, Faurecia, The PAC Group, LumiLor India, Signify .|
|Job Positions||Engineering Technologist, Applied Mechanics Technician, Safety Specialist, Technology Manager, Operation Manager Project Manager, Industrial Production Managers|
BTech Applied Mechanics: Course Advantages
- BTech Applied Mechanics graduates can learn to create, visualize and trial their products. From automobile to designing sets, candidates gather a tonne of skills throughout the course.
- It helps the students to understand the market scenario way earlier than other undergraduate students by researching and learning about the consumer base ,the designers get the opportunity to design products which are more user friendly.
- Through this course students will learn about various social, financial,environmental and functional aspects of the industry.
- The annual salary of a BTech in Applied Mechanics graduate can be around 5 to 7LPA.
- The recruiting companies associated with various institutes in their placement are DLF,L&T,Hindustan Construction Company.
Read more: BTech Admission Process 2021
BTech Applied Mechanics Course Comparison
Below given is a course comparison between BTech Industrial Design and BTech Applied Mechanics on the basis few parameters:
|Parameters||B.Tech (Industrial Design)||B.Tech (Applied Mechanics)|
|Full Form||Bachelor of Technology Industrial Design||Bachelor of Technology Applied Mechanics|
|Overview||BTech in Industrial Design is a programme designed to know about the engineering mechanics,kinematics with a lot of specialisation options.||BTech in Applied Mechanics is a 4 year long programme with no such specialisation offered although it also a technical course which mainly focuses on Material Science,Process Modelling and Fluid Mechanics|
|Admission Procedure||Entrance Based/ Merit Based||Entrance Based/ Merit Based|
|Course Fee||INR 80,000 – 6,00,000||INR 80,000- 6,50,000|
|Eligibility||Intermediate with Science stream from a recognised board.||Intermediate with Science stream from a recognised board.|
|Job Profile||Industrial Designer, Industrial Researcher, Interior Designer, Set Designer, Automotive Designer, Package Designer||Engineering Technologist, Applied Mechanics Technician, Safety Specialist, Technology Manager, Operation Manager, Project Manager, Industrial Production Manager|
|Top Recruiters||Google, Microsoft, Canon, IDEO, NVIDIA.||Hindustan Construction Company, L&T, DLF, Unitech, Tata Projects , Gammon India.|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 7,00,000 per annum||INR 6,00,000 per annum|
Check the list of Top BTech Colleges in India.
BTech Applied Mechanics:Top Colleges
BTech Applied Mechanics is taught in some of the premium institutes in India. Given Below are some of the best colleges with location, fee and placement .
|College Name||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Package|
|IIT Bombay||1.15Lac||10 Lac|
|MNNIT Prayagraj||INR 80,000||6 Lac|
|Cusrow Wadia Institute of Technology, Pune||INR 1,24,200||5.8 Lac|
|MNNIT Prayagraj||INR 80,000||4.7 Lac|
|MS Ramaiah School of Advanced Studies||2.5Lac||7 Lac|
|IIT Madras||1.09Lac||12 Lac|
|Department of Industrial Design, School of Planning and Architecture||1.20Lac||7Lac|
BTech Applied Mechanics: Syllabus
The course syllabus is nicely designed within 8 semesters with almost 4 to 5 papers as mentioned
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Physics||Environment & Safety Engineering|
|Basic Electronics Engineering||Basic Electrical Engineering|
|Basic Programming||Engineering Drawing|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Vehicle Dynamics and Design of Automotives||Microprocessor and Interfacing|
|Mechanics of Solids||Design Thinking|
|Elements and Principle of Design||Elementary Machine Design|
|Kinematics of Machine||Materials & Processes of Design|
|Semester 5||Semester 6|
|Creative Engineering Design||Sustainable Design|
|Introduction to Ergonomics||Product Design|
|Geometric and Solid Modelling||Thermofluids|
|Manufacturing Processes||Simulation Laboratory|
|Semester 7||Semester 8|
|Business Research Methodology||Research Project Elective|
|Design Workshop||Seminar and Technical Writing II|
|Seminar and Technical Writing I||Short Term Industrial/Research Experience|
BTech Applied Mechanics: Recommended Books
Some of the academic books with the name of the author are mentioned which are followed by these top institutes are
|Applied Mechanics Statics & Strength of Materials||U.C Jindal|
|Applied Fluid Mechanics||Dr. R. P Rethaliya|
|A Textbook of Applied Mechanics||Khurmi R.S and Khurmi N|
|Applied Mechanics and Strength of Materials||R.S Khurmi|
BTech Applied Mechanics Job Prospects and Career Options:
Below given is a job profile for the BTech APplied Mechanics graduates along with the Average Annual Salary:
|Job Position||Average Annual Salary|
|Design Engineer||6 LPA|
|Applied Mechanic||4.7 LPA|
|Industrial Engineers||6.2 LPA|
|Engineering Technologist||5.4 LPA|
|Technology Manager||6.2 LPA|
BTech Applied Mechanics Future Scope
Below given is the future scope option for the BTech Applied Mechanics graduates:
- MTech: If the candidate wishes to continue in the same field of education, the first program of choice is a MTech program. MTech is a two-year course and the eligibility criteria include having a BE or BTech in Mechanical Engineering.
- MBA: A large number of BTech graduates choose to go for the management route by choosing to pursue a PGDM or MBA program. Admissions are offered through a national level entrance exam. Having a BTech Applied Mechanics degree together with an MBA in a specialization of choice is highly advantageous and many organizations actively search for such candidates.
- Competitive examinations: Another road that graduates can opt to go for is to prepare for competitive exams. These Examinations that are meant for job opportunities in Government sector organizations are most popular.
BTech Applied Mechanics: FAQs
Ques. What is the difference between normal designers and applied mechanics ?
Ques. What makes BTech Applied Mechanics so popular ?
Ques. Is BTech Applied Mechanics worth studying ?
Ques. What is the duration of the BTech Applied Mechanics course ?
Ques. Name some entrance tests for Masters in Applied Mechanics .
Ques. What is the common job profile ?
Ques. Who are the popular recruiters in this field ?
Ques. What is the starting salary of an applied mechanic in an entry level job ?
Ques. What is the expected skill from a graduate Applied Mechanic ?
Ques. Do BTech and BDes have the same value ?
Ques. What are the academic options after BTech in Applied Mechanics ?