What is BTech Bioinformatics?
BTech Bioinformatics is an undergraduate level course that is completed over a duration of 4 years. It is about the study of the role of information technology and computer science in understanding biological data.
The subjects taught as a part of the course curriculum include basic sciences, applied sciences, biological sciences and computational research methods. The course is concerned with the implementation of analytic and programming techniques in biological fields.
Check: BTech Colleges in India
Students who passed 10+2 with the science stream are eligible to apply for the course. The admissions to the course are mainly based on the engineering entrance tests like JEE Mains, KLUEE and VITEEE.
The average fee charged in the top institutes in India for BTech in Bioinformatics ranges from 1.5 to 4 LPA.
Get complete information about all the BTech Course.
After completing the course, students can look for career options in pharmaceutical companies, with private organizations that work on the development of biological databases and bioinformatics softwares, the education sector, or in government funded research projects.
The job profiles include Scientific Research, Database Developer, Software Developer, Bioinformatics Programmer, Computational Biologist and Bioinformatics Analyst. The average salary offered to candidates after the completion of the courses ranges from 2 to 7 lakhs.
Check: MTech Colleges in India
BTech Bioinformatics Highlights
Here are some of the most popular highlights of the BTech Bioinformatics degree program that have been tabulated below:
|Full form||Bachelor of Technology in Bioinformatics|
|Eligibility||10 + 2 from science stream|
|Admission process||Entrance Test|
|Course Fee||1.5 to 3.7 LPA|
|Average Salary||INR 2 TO 7 Lakhs|
|Top Recruiters||Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers, Cipla, Biocon, IBM, Novartis, TCS, Reliance, Ranbaxy and Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd|
|Job Positions||Research Scientist, Lab Assistant, Bioinformatician, Database Developer, Teaching Assistant|
Top BTech Bioinformatics Colleges
Some of the top BTech Bioinformatics colleges in India are mentioned below:
|NIRF Ranking (Engineering) 2020||Institute||Admission Process||Average Annual Fee (INR)||Average Placement Package (INR)|
|15||VIT Vellore||Entrance Test (VITEEE) followed by counselling||1.98 LPA||6.05 LPA|
|32||Amity University, Noida||Entrance Test (Amity JEE)||3.11 LPA||3.7 LPA|
|58||KL (Deemed to be) University, Guntur||Entrance Test (KLUEE/JEE/EAMCET)||2.5 LPA||5 LPA|
|87||Lovely Professional University||Entrance Test (LPUNEST/JEE)||1.37 LPA||3.6 LPA|
|96||Jaypee Institute of Information Technology University, Noida||Entrance Test (JEE)||2.28 LPA||4 LPA|
What is the BTech Bioinformatics Admission Process?
The admission process for the course takes place based on the entrance tests. Some private institutes might admit students based on their merit in their academic examinations.
Typically, students need to appear in the entrance test which may be of the national level like JEE Mains, state-level or conducted by the institute itself.
- After the results of the entrance tests are declared, the students need to participate in the counselling process through which the seats are allotted.
- Some institutes may also require students to appear in group discussions and personal interviews.
- The selected students are notified and they need to complete the admission process by paying the admission fee.
Do I Qualify the BTech Bioinformatics Eligibility Criteria?
Some of the eligibility criteria to be fulfilled by the candidates to pursue the BTech Bioinformatics course are stated below:
- Students interested in applying for the course must have secured overall 50% aggregate in 10+2 with the subjects Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
- Some institutes also accept students with Mathematics or Biotechnology in place of Biology, with Physics and Chemistry.
What are the Entrance Exams for BTech Bioinformatics ?
Students need to appear in the entrance tests accepted at the institutes. Most institutes accept the national-level and respective state-level exams. There are some institutes that conduct their own entrance tests.
Some of the entrance exams that the students can appear in, to get entry into the course have been mentioned below:
- JEE Mains: The Joint Entrance Examination is conducted nationwide by the NTA for students seeking admissions to undergraduate engineering and architecture courses in Indian institutes.
- VITEEE: The Vellore Institute of Technology conducts the engineering entrance exam for students seeking admissions to undergraduate engineering courses at the participating institutes.
- Amity JEE: Amity JEE is a computer-based entrance test conducted by the Amity University for admissions to iits BTech courses.
- KLUEEE: The Koneru Lakshmaiah Education Foundation conducts the KLUEEE (or now KLEE) for admissions to undergraduate engineering and architecture programmes.
- VSAT: the Vignan Scholastics Aptitude Test is a computer-based test conducted at the university-level for admissions to the B. Tech. course.
- LPUNEST: The Lovely Professional University conducts LPUNEST twice a year for students seeking admissions to engineering, law and entrance exams. Students are also granted scholarships based on their merit in the entrance tests.
|Entrance Exam||Conducted by||Application Date||Exam Date|
|JEE Main||National Testing Agency||December 16, 2020 to January 16, 2021||February 23-26, March 15-18, April 27-30 & May 24-28, 2021|
|VITEEE||VIT, Vellore||27 September 2019 - 31 July 2020||Cancelled due to Covid-19|
|Amity JEE||Amity University, Noida||Until 15 August 2020||Cancelled due to Covid-19|
|KLUEEE||Koneru Lakshmaiah Education Foundation||9 September 2019 - 25 April 2020||27 April - 29 April, 2020|
|VSAT||Vigan’s University||Until 5 April 2020||27 April - 05 May, 2020|
|LPUNEST||Lovely Professional University||Until 20 September 2020||01 September - 20 September, 2020|
Read More: BTech Entrance Exams
How to Prepare for BTech Bioinformatics Entrance Exams?
Students must plan beforehand how they are going to prepare for the entrance exams. They must keep up with the updates that are released regarding the entrance exams that they desire to appear in.
- First and foremost, decide your learning strategy. If you plan to indulge in self-study or take up coaching classes for the preparation, you must plan beforehand.
- Take help and guidance from as many learning sources as are available, books and the internet.
- Look up previous year question papers and stay up-to-date with the changes in the exam syllabus or paper pattern.
- Appear in mock tests and attempt sample papers. It will help in understanding the areas that may require improvement.
- Study the subjects (Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics/Biology/Biotechnology), thoroughly.
- Prepare while keeping in mind that there will be different sections in the exam that would test different kinds of abilities and skills in the candidate.
- Be consistent in your preparation. Dedicate a certain amount of time everyday leading up to the exam to study for it.
- Learn to manage time while attempting the question papers.
How to Get Admission into a BTech Bioinformatics Good College?
Securing admission in a renowned college can give a student the right kind exposure and help them realise their potential. Candidates need to keep some guidelines in mind and focus on working hard to get into a top institute of their choice.
- Get as much information as you can about the colleges you are interested in like student-centric facilities, placements, teaching methods, course curriculum and more that the colleges have to offer.
- Prepare well for entrance exams well in advance. Strategise your study-plan and get working. Dedicate enough time to cover the crucial topics.
- Appear in mock tests and attempt sample papers and previous year question papers. Know your level of preparation at every stage so you can keep improving.
- Some of the institutes require students to participate in group discussions and personal interviews. Learn to feel assured in your abilities and skills so that you appear confident.
- Apply for admissions to as many top ranked colleges as possible, in order to increase your chances of being admitted to a good one.
- Stay updated with the latest changes and new introductions in admission processes or the syllabus of entrance exams, and adapt accordingly.
What BTech Bioinformatics is all about?
The course is concerned with the study of a combination of subjects like molecular biology, computer science, medicine and information technology.
- BTech Bioinformatics aims to utilise the latest technological developments, computational power and softwares to solve pressing biologics issues.
- It can open up various prospects for candidates who complete the course like working as designers of drug molecules in pharmaceutical companies, algorithm developers in the software industry or further research and development in the field of Bioinformatics.
- Students learn how to apply the principles of database programming to biological science. They become capable of conducting investigations of unresolved biological problems and attempt to look for solutions.
- Students are taught through classroom learning and practical teaching in subject-specific laboratories.
Read More: BTech Courses
Why study BTech Bioinformatics?
The course can prove to have great outcomes for students with a zeal for the biosciences and technology. Here are some of the reasons why students should consider pursuing BTech Bioinformatics:
- Students with a keen interest in information technology, molecular biology and a knack for scientific exploration will be suitable for this course.
- Students will expand their knowledge regarding the role of experimental research and data processing in biology.
- Students will be required to work on research projects which will enhance their analytical and data interpretation skills.
- Completing this course will open up prospects for jobs like biological database developer, bioinformatics software engineer and in other related industries as well. The average salary ranges from 2 to 7 lakhs.
- Students who wish to continue in the field can pursue MTech in Bioinformatics and solidify their knowledge. This will furthermore widen their horizons.
BTech Bioinformatics Vs BSc Bioinformatics
After completing their 12th standard with Physics, Chemistry and Biology, students with an interest in bioinformatics may consider to choose between BTech Bioinformatics and B. Sc. Bioinformatics. The approach of the courses may vary in that the former course would be more practical.
|Course||BTech Bioinformatics||B.Sc Bioinformatics|
|Overview||BTech Bioinformatics is concerned with the study of use of information technology in the field of molecular biology.||B. Sc. Bioinformatics is an interdisciplinary study of biology and computational disciplines.|
|Eligibility||10+2 with Physics, Chemistry and Biology/Mathematics/Biotechnology||10+2 with Physics, Chemistry and Biology|
|Duration||4 years||3 years|
|Admission Process||Entrance-based||Merit and Entrance-based|
|Average Course Fee||INR 1.3 to 3.7 Lakhs||INR 5k to 5 Lakhs|
|Average Salary||INR 2 to 7 Lakhs||INR 2 Lakhs to 25 Lakhs|
|Top Recruiters||Wipro, IBM, Accenture, OPTUM, Ranbaxy and Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.||Accelrys, IBM Life Sciences Pubgene, Reliance, Satyam and Silicon Genetics|
Top BTech Bioinformatics Colleges
Some of the top BTech Bioinformatics colleges in India have been mentioned below along with their rankings and average fee charged:
|NIRF Ranking 2020 (Engineering)||College||Location||Average Fee (INR)||Average Placement Package (INR)|
|15||VIT Vellore||Vellore, Tamil Nadu||1.98 LPA||6.05 LPA|
|25||SASTRA University||Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu||1.31 LPA||9.3 LPA|
|32||Amity University, Noida||Noida, Uttar Pradesh||3.11 LPA||3.7 LPA|
|58||KL (Deemed to be) University||Guntur, Andhra Pradesh||2.5 LPA||5 LPA|
|87||Lovely Professional University||Phagwara, Punjab||1.37 LPA||3.6 LPA|
|96||Jaypee Institute of Information Technology University, Noida||Noida, Uttar Pradesh||2.28 LPA||4 LPA|
|115||Jaypee University of Information Technology, Solan||Solan, Himachal Pradesh||2.2 LPA||3.6 LPA|
|118||Vignan University, Guntur||Guntur Andhra Pradesh||2.3 LPA||3.48 LPA|
|149||Saveetha University||Chennai, Tamil Nadu||1.3 LPA||4.3 LPA|
|196||Dr DY Patil Vidyapeeth, Pune||Pune, Maharashtra||1.7 LPA||3 LPA|
BTech Bioinformatics: College Comparison
Following table shows the comparison between some of the top BTech Bioinformatics colleges in India on the basis of a few parameters like NIRF rankings, fees, salary, and more.
|Parameters||VIT, Vellore||Amity University, Noida||KL (Deemed to be) University|
|Overview||VIT is a leading institute that offers quality education in Science and Technology.||Amity University, Noida, is among the top ranked institutes in the country. It is known for imparting industry oriented education.||KL (Deemed to be) University was founded as a college of Engineering and today, it has become an institution that offers excellent education across various disciplines.|
|NIRF Rank 2020 (Engineering)||15 out of 200||32 out of 200||58 out of 200|
|Average Annual Fee (INR)||1.98 LPA||3.11 LPA||2.5 LPA|
|Average Placement Package (INR)||6.05 LPA||3.7 LPA||5 LPA|
|Top Recruiters||Wipro, Accenture, Infosys, Cognizant and TCS||Tata Chemicals Ltd., Siemens, Birla Sunlife and Dabur India Ltd.||Wipro, Infosys, IBM, OPTUM and Accenture|
BTech Bioinformatics Syllabus
The BTech Bioinformatics syllabus includes the study of biosciences, genetics, cell biology, biochemistry and biostatistics combined with information technology and programming.
Although some of the topics may vary, the basic BTech Bioinformatics syllabus is tabulated below:
|Semester 1||Semester 2||Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Basic Electrical Engineering||Database Management Systems||Python for Biologist||Machine Learning and Data Mining|
|Introduction to Computers and Programming||Applied Chemistry||Basic Bioinformatics||Biostatistics|
|Basic Physics-I for Bio Sciences||Basic Physics-II for Bio Sciences||Biochemistry||Biochemistry|
|General Chemistry||Environmental Studies||Material Science||Java Programming|
|Mathematics For Life Sciences-I||Mathematics For Life Sciences-II||Cell Biology||Microbiology|
|Technical Communication – I||Technical Communication – II||-||Genetics|
|Semester 5||Semester 6||Semester 7||Semester 8|
|Clinical Trials and Data Management||Biotechnology and Entrepreneurship||Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning in Life Sciences||Approaches in Integrative Bioinformatics|
|Stem Cells and Tissue Engineering||Clinical Trials and Data Management||Big Data for Life Science||Clinical Data Management and SAS|
|Advanced Java for Biotechnology||Basics of Systems Biology||Clinical Data Management and SAS||Fundamentals & Applications of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology|
|Computational Genomics and Genome Analysis||Computational Genomics and Genome Analysis||Genome Engineering||Immunoinformatics|
|Computational Proteomics and Proteome Analysis||Computational Proteomics and Proteome Analysis||Perl for Biologist||Web Technologies|
|Molecular Biology||Fundamentals of Molecular Modelling and Drug Design||MATLAB Basics for Biologist|
BTech Bioinformatics Books
Some of the prominent books relevant to the course have been mentioned in the table below:
|Name of the Book||Author|
|Statistical Methods in Bioinformatics: An Introduction||Gregory R. Grant and Warren Ewens (2001)|
|Practical Bioinformatics||Michael Agostino (2012)|
|Systems Bioinformatics: An Engineering Case-based Approach||Gil Alterovitz and Marco F. Ramoni (2007)|
|Bioinformatics Computing||Bryan Bergeron (2002)|
|Statistical Modelling and Machine Learning Principles for Bioinformatics Techniques, Tools, and Applications||K. G. Srinivasa, G. M. Siddesh, S. R. Manisekar (2020)|
Biological Database Modeling
|Jake Chen, Amandeep S. Sidhu (2008)|
|Jin Xiong (2006)|
|Introduction to Computational Molecular Biology||Joao Carlos Setubal and Joao Meidanis (1997)|
Read More: BTech Bioinformatics Syllabus
What after BTech Bioinformatics ?
BTech Bioinformatics qualifies students for jobs in pharmaceutical companies, companies that develop databases and softwares for biological data, academic laboratories and the bioinformatics industry.
- Candidates can work on government funded research projects.
- Private companies also hire graduates from the course, to work on the development of their databases, maintaining those databases and resolving any issues that may arise.
- Candidates can work as teaching assistants to professors and lecturers in public as well as private institutes.
The following table consists of some top professional BTech Bioinformatics jobs available along with the corresponding salary packages:
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary (INR)|
|Research Scientist||Research Scientists generally conduct experiments, investigate formed hypotheses, maintain records and analyse results.||6.85 Lakhs|
|Bioinformatics Software Developer||Bioinformatics software developers design, code and maintain the database of specific biological data, such as the genetic make-up of humans.||4.93 Lakhs|
|Bioinformatician||Bioinformaticians develop data framework and databases. They maintain databases, analyse and interpret them and are responsible for keeping them secure.||5.4 Lakhs|
|Laboratory Assistant||Laboratory Assistants maintain records of experiments, equipment, databases of results and help the laboratory director in the overall management of the laboratory.||2.07 Lakhs|
|Teaching Assistant||Teaching Assistants in schools, colleges and universities help out the professors and lecturers. They follow instructions in conducting meetings with students, grading assignments and assist in creating course plans.||2.5 Lakhs|
What is the Future BTech Bioinformatics Scope?
After completing the BTech Bioinformatics course, students can pursue further studies, join research teams or apply for jobs. Most institutes invite recruiters on their campuses during placements.
- Higher Studies: Students can pursue MTech Bioinformatics and later PhD Bioinformatics to strengthen their capability in the discipline. Students can also go for MBA Bioinformatics, if they may be interested in management.
- Short-term Courses: Students can pursue postgraduate diploma courses like Post Graduate Diploma in Management or certification courses such as Certificate Course in Computer Application. This will increase their chances of being employed in relevant industries.
- Academic or Scientific Researcher: Students can work on research projects funded by the government or private organisations. Some institutes also offer the opportunity to be a part of research teams.
- Job prospects: Candidates can find a job through campus placements. There are various options such as becoming a database developer, science technician, bioinformatics software developer or a computational biologist.
BTech Bioinformatics: FAQs
Ques: Which institutes in Tamil Nadu offer BTech Bioinformatics?
Ques: Can the students appear in the JEE Mains exam after a gap year?
Ques: Can students with 10+2 from the non-medical stream also be eligible for the BTech Bioinformatics course?
Ques: What are the options in higher studies after BTech in Bioinformatics?
Ques: Which institutes in Maharashtra offer BTech Bioinformatics?
Ques: What is the difference between BTech and BE courses?
Ques: Would students be required to pursue internships during the course?
Ques: Does the course curriculum involve practical knowledge?
Ques: How many years does it take to complete BTech Bioinformatics?
Ques: Is there an age limit for appearing in the JEE Mains exam?
Ques: What are the additional subjects that the students will have to study as a part of the course?
Ques: Have the entrance exams been postponed due to Covid-19?