Bachelor of Technology or BTech Computer Science is an undergraduate course of 4-years. This course is ideal for students who wish to pursue their career in the field of Computer Science as a Software Engineer or Developer in top MNCs or IT firms.
Check the top BTech Computer Science Colleges in India.
BTech Computer Science involves the study of Calculus, Algorithms, Computer Architecture, Database learning, etc, and provides a basic knowledge related to Computer Science.
Get complete information about all the BTech Course.
To be considered eligible for admission to BTech Computer Science course, candidates must have passed Class 12 or equivalent with an aggregate of at least 45% marks from a recognized board with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as compulsory subjects.
Admission to this course will be done based on a candidate’s performance in national or state level entrance examinations such as JEE Main, JEE Advanced, TANCET, etc.
There are many universities/ colleges in India that offer BTech Computer Science programs. Some of the top institutes offering BTech Computer Science, based on NIRF rankings 2020 are mentioned in the table given below:
|NIRF Ranking 2020||Name of the College/ University||Admission Process||Average Fee||Average Placement Package|
|1||IIT Madras, Chennai||JEE-Advanced||INR 75,116||INR 16,10,00|
|2||IIT Delhi, New Delhi||JEE-Advanced||INR 2,24,900||INR 16,00,000|
|3||IIT Bombay, Mumbai||JEE-Advanced||INR 2,11,400||INR 20,34,000|
|4||IIT Kanpur, Kanpur||JEE-Advanced||INR 2,15,600||INR 11,02,000|
|5||IIT Kharagpur, Kharagpur||JEE-Advanced||INR 82,070||INR 15,00,000|
There are various government and private institutes which offer this course. The average course fee in India ranges between INR 80,000 to INR 1,20,000 per semester, depending on the institute offering the course.
After completion of the course, the graduates can work as a Software Engineer, Testing Engineer, System Analyst and Technical Support Manager, etc.
The average starting salary offered to BTech Computer Science graduates in India range between INR 3 - 12 Lacs depending on the candidate’s expertise in the field and the college offering the program.
The graduates can also pursue higher studies after completion of the course. The most popular courses opted by the graduates are M.Tech in Computer science and MBA.
BTech Computer Science Admission Process
Most of the institutes and universities in India follow an entrance-based admission process for admission to BTech Computer Science program. Top BTech colleges such as IIT, Jain University, LPU, etc. offer admission through entrances like JEE Main, LPU NEST, JET, etc.
The steps of the entrance-based admission are provided below:
- Online Registration: Students are required to register for the entrance test by providing their email address, mobile number, and password after which a login id will be generated.
- Filling up of application form: After the creation of a login id, candidates have to fill up the online application form by providing their personal and academic details.
- Uploading of documents: In this step, candidates have to upload the necessary documents such as a photograph, signature, id proof, Class 10 and 12 certificates, etc.
- Application Fee: On uploading the requisite documents, students will have tp pay the requisite amount of application fee using Credit Card, Debit Card, or Net Banking.
- Download Application Form: After paying the application fee, candidates have to save and download the form for future references.
- Issuing of Admit Card: Based on the record of the details submitted by the students, the admission authority will issue the admit cards to the eligible students.
- Entrance Examination: After getting the admit card, exam dates will be released by different conducting bodies. Candidates have to sit for the entrance test and qualify the same to get admission.
- Declaration of Result: In the final stage, admission authorities will release the results of the entrance test they have appeared for.
- Counselling: The selected candidates have to appear for counseling to choose their branch of study in engineering.
BTech Computer Science Eligibility
Students who aspire to seek admission in BTech Computer Science course, should fulfill the minimum eligibility criteria given below:
- Must have passed Class 12 or any other equivalent examination from a recognized board with an aggregate of at least 45% marks.
- Aspirants must have studied Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as compulsory subjects in Class 12.
- The candidates who have appeared for Class 12 exams and are awaiting results can also apply for BTech Computer Science entrance examinations.
BTech Computer Science Entrance Exams
Some of the top colleges and universities which offer this Bachelor’s degree program conduct an entrance test for admission to this program. With entrance examinations, colleges/ universities will be able to check the knowledge and ability of the student on the basis of which selection to a particular course takes place.
Some of the top BTech Computer Science entrance examinations are:-
IPU CET: This is a national level entrance test which is usually conducted in the month of May. This exam offers admission to students to engineering courses in the IP University.
- LPU NEST: LPU NEST is an entrance examination conducted for admission into various courses offered by the Lovely Professional University.
- SRMJEEE: It is an entrance exam conducted for SRM University for admission into various B.Tech courses offered by the institute.
- JEE Main: JEE Main is the national-level examination for admission into engineering courses offered by various public and private engineering institutes in India. The exam is conducted by NTA and conducted twice a year.
|Name of the Examination||Application Deadline||Date of Examination||Mode of Examination|
|IPU CET 2020||March 3 – July 20, 2020||Postponed||Online|
|LPU NEST 2020||Upto July 15, 2020||July 31, 2020||Online|
|SRMJEEE 2020||Up to July 15, 2020||July 30 2020 - August 4, 2020||Online|
|JEE Main 2020||February 7 – May 24,||September 1, 2020 - September 6, 2020||Online|
How to prepare for these entrance exams?
We have listed a few points below to help the aspirants cracking the entrance exams.
- Syllabus and question structure: Students must have a proper idea about the syllabus of the exam and the question paper. Most of the engineering entrance tests have a duration of 3 hours and the questions given are of objective types.
- Section-wise Preparation: Questions are mainly asked from the subjects including Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics. Therefore, it is very important for students to have a clear understanding of all these subjects.
- Previous-year Question Papers: The students should study the previous year’s question paper thoroughly. This will help them to understand the type of questions asked in the examination.
- Time Management: This is the most important aspect of one’s preparation, so students are recommended to make a proper time table and follow the same strict schedule and they should practice time-based papers.
How to get admission to a good BTech Computer Science College?
- A candidate can get their seat confirmed in a good college if they had a sound academic record in your Class 12 and also on the basis of your performance in various national or state level entrance tests. The greater the score, the better will be the chances of getting admission in the top engineering colleges across India.
- It is also necessary to be mentally and physically prepared for further admission rounds i.e. counseling and seat allotment.
- Keep a track of all the important events related to admission so that you will never miss any deadline. Also, keep a track of eligibility criteria, course cut-off, application procedure, application fee, and all the updates in newspapers, official websites, etc.
- You should start your preparation for BTech entrance exams as early as possible so you have enough time for your preparation for the exam.
- Practice as many papers and questions as you can in order to enhance your time management skills.
BTech Computer Science: What is it about?
Read the points given below to know what BTech Computer Science is all about:-
- This course is basically a platform to learn basic concepts and advanced programming of computers. It also paves ways to learn a large number of computer languages such as Java, Linux, etc.
- On completion of this course, you will be able to become a well-known programmer.
- The syllabus of BTech Computer Science offers students a vast knowledge of Calculus, Algorithms, Computer Architecture, Database Learning, etc.
- This course is basically a foundation course that will enable students to enhance their basic knowledge in their field of study.
BTech Computer Science: Course Highlights
BTech Computer Science is one of the most chosen branches among the engineering students. Students who prefer to do jobs in MNC, usually prefer this branch. The important points about the course is mentioned in the table below:
|Duration of the Course||4 years|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||10+2 in any stream from a recognized board with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as compulsory subjects|
|Admission Process||Entrance-Based admission followed by Counselling|
|Average Course Fee||INR 80,000 to 1.5 lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 3,00,000 to INR 20,00,000|
|Top Job Areas||TCS, HCL, Infosys, Accenture, etc.|
|Top Job Positions||Software Engineer, Testing Engineer, System Analyst and Technical Support Manager, etc.|
Why study BTech Computer Science?
There are many benefits to pursuing a BTech Computer Science degree program. Some of them are:
- On completion of this course, students easily get jobs as a Software Engineer, Testing Engineer, Technical Support in various IT firms.
- If you have an interest in grasping all the aspects of Computer Technology then you should definitely look forward to pursuing this course.
- The students will learn skills like software development, programming languages, building websites, etc.
- Students can opt for jobs in numerous sectors such as MNCs, Software Firms, Banking sector, etc.
- Handsome salary packages are offered to BTech Computer Science graduates with an average salary of INR 3-20 Lakhs Per Annum.
BTech Computer Science vs BTech Information Technology
Both BTech Computer Science and BTech Information Technology are technical courses and are pretty popular among students owing to huge career scope. The key points of difference between the above two courses are provided in the table below:
Check out the top BTech Information Technology Colleges in India.
|Parameters||BTech Computer Science||BTech Information Technology|
|Qualification||Bachelor of Technology in Computer Science||Bachelor of Technology in Information Technology|
|Course Overview||This course gives emphasis to the development of software by using various programming tools and also lays emphasis on the hardware aspect.||This course is basically an application of Computer Science and basically focuses on the software aspect of a computer.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 80,000 to 1.5 Lacs||INR 80,000 to 1.2 Lacs|
|Duration||4 years||4 years|
|Eligibility Criteria||Passed Class 12 or equivalent from a recognized board with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as compulsory subjects.||Passed Class 12 or equivalent from a recognized board with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as compulsory sCase
|Admission Process||Entrance-Based followed by Counselling||Entrance-Based followed by Counselling|
|Top Colleges||Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, Lovely Professional University, Amity University, etc.||Jain University, IIT, Delhi, LPU, etc.|
|Average Salary||INR 3-20 LPA||INR 4-16 LPA|
|Top Job Areas||TCS, HCL, Infosys, Accenture, etc.||HCL, Infosys, Capgemini etc.|
|Top Job Positions||Software Engineer, Testing Engineer, System Analyst, and Technical Support Manager, etc.||Software Engineer, Testing Engineer, System Analyst, and IT Manager, etc.|
BTech Computer Science Top Colleges
Some of the top colleges offering BTech Computer Science program is provided in the table given below:
|NIRF Ranking||Name of the College/ University||City||Average Semester Fees||Average Placement Package|
|1||IIT Madras||Chennai||INR 75,116||INR 16,10,00|
|2||IIT Delhi||New Delhi||INR 2,24,900||INR 16,00,000|
|3||IIT Bombay||Mumbai||INR 2,11,400||INR 20,34,000|
|4||IIT Kanpur||Kanpur||INR 2,15,600||INR 11,02,000|
|5||IIT Kharagpur||Kharagpur||INR 82,070||INR 15,00,000|
|6||IIT Roorkee||Roorkee||INR 2,21,700||INR 10,00,000|
|7||IIT Guwahati||Guwahati||INR 219,350||INR 11,00,000|
|8||IIT Hyderabad||Hyderabad||INR 2,22,995||INR 14,00,000|
|9||NIT Trichy||Tiruchirappalli||INR 1,61,250||INR 9,00,000|
|10||IIT Indore||Indore||INR 2,33,900||INR 16,06,000|
BTech Computer Science College Comparison
A comparison has been done among the two top universities/ institutes offering BTech in Computer Science course for the convenience of students in the table given below:
|Top Institutes||IIT Madras||IIT Delhi||IIT Bombay|
|Overview||It is ranked as the best engineering college in India. They also offer courses other than engineering like MBA, MSc, Phd etc. The admissions into all the courses are conducted through national level entrance exams like JEE-Advanced, IIT-JAM, CAT, etc.||It is known to be the 2nd best college after IIT Madras. It is also a college of national importance that offers in the field of science, engineering and management. The admissions are quite competitive.||The college is ranked as the 3rd best engineering college in india. It is known for its placement and it seems to be the highest among the other IITs. They also offer various UG, PG and doctorate courses.|
|NIRF Ranking 2020||1||2||3|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 75,116||INR 224,900||INR 211,400|
|Average Salary||INR 16,10,000||INR 16,00,000||INR 20,34,000|
|Top Recruiters||Microsoft, GE, Citibank, EXL Analytics, Flipkart, Intel, Mahindra & Mahindra Limited, American Express, HCL technologies, etc||Samsung, Tata Motors, eBay, Facebook, Infosys, Nvidia, IBM, Infosys, Indian Oil, Samsung, Accenture, etc.||Google, Microsoft, Apple, IBM, Uber, Rubrik are the top recruiters for computer science|
BTech Computer Science Syllabus
The detailed semester-wise syllabus of BTech in Computer Science program is provided in the table given below:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Organic and Inorganic Chemistry||Biology|
|Physical Chemistry||Abstractions and Paradigms in Programming|
|Computer Programming and Utilization||Linear Algebra and Ordinary Differential Equations I|
|Engineering Graphics and Drawing||Electricity and Magnetism|
|Quantum Physics and its applications||__|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Discrete Structures||Digital Logic Design|
|Data Structures and Algorithms||Design and Analysis of Algorithms|
|Data Analysis and Interpretation||The logic for Computer Science|
|Introduction to Electrical and Electronic Circuits||Computer Networks|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Computer Architecture||Automata Theory|
|Database and Information Systems||Implementation of Programming Languages|
|Operating Systems||Artificial Intelligence|
|Semester VII and VIII|
|Natural Language Programming|
|Cryptography and Network Security|
|Digital Signal Processing|
|Computer-Aided Geometric Design|
BTech Computer Science Career Prospects
- With a BTech Computer Science degree, students will be able to get jobs in numerous IT firms and companies and provide them a platform to nurture their talent.
- They will be able to work as software analysts or engineers in various IT firms.
- They can find jobs in numerous sectors including government and private IT departments, IT firms, Travel and Tourism industry, and many more.
Some of the popular professional jobs available to BTech Computer Science graduates along with the corresponding salaries are provided in the table given below:
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Software Developer||The job of a software developer is to make software for a company he/she works for.||INR 6,58,000|
|Testing Engineer||The job role of a Testing Engineer is to test the software created by a Developer and test whether it is working properly or not.||INR 8,95,000|
|System Analyst||The main job of a System Analyst is to analyze, design, and implement information systems.||INR 6,75,000|
|Technical Support Engineer||Technical Support Engineer is indeed a computer expert who troubleshoots the software and hardware issues and also reviews other computer-related issues.||INR 9,78,000|
|IT Technical Content Developer||As the name suggests, a Technical Content Developer develops technical content such as creating graphics, recording audios, etc.||INR 5,58,000|
BTech Computer Science Salary Trends
Students who have completed BTech Computer Science programs are offered with a large number of job opportunities. The salary trends of some of the top posts that BTech Computer Science graduates can opt for are given below:
BTech Computer Science Future Scopes
On completion of the BTech Computer Science program, candidates can opt for a wide range of professions.There are several areas both in the private as well as in the public sector where a BTech Computer Science graduate may start working. They will be able to make their careers in the field of Computer Science as a Software Engineer, Technical Support Manager, Software Analyst, etc.
They can go for higher studies and can also choose to specialize in a particular area. Some of the course options are:
M.Tech. Computer Science: After pursuing BTech Computer Science, most of the students opt for M.Tech. in Computer Science. You can pursue M.Tech. with a specialization of your choice. It is always recommended to go for higher studies after completing this course otherwise, it will not be that beneficial.
Check out the top M.Tech in Computer Science Colleges in india.
M.Tech. in Information Technology: On completion of BTech in Computer Science, candidates can opt for this course as the job opportunities in this sector are pretty high.
Check out the top M.Tech in Information Technology in India.
MBA: If the graduates want to change their field and go for managerial jobs then they can choose to do MBA. MBA is a highly preferred course among engineering graduates.
Check out the top MBA Colleges in India.
So, BTech Computer Science offers numerous lucrative career options and you can choose according to your skills and areas of interest. You can go for higher studies or you can also opt for a decent job. It all depends on you whether you want to do the job after completing this course or you wish to study further.
BTech Computer Science: FAQs
Some of the most frequently asked questions pertaining to BTech Computer Science course is given below:
Ques. What is the full form of BTech Computer Science?
Ques. Do I need to know programming before opting for a BTech Computer Science course?
Ques. What after BTech Computer Science?
Ques. What are the admission criteria for admission to the BTech Computer Science course in Indian colleges/ universities?
Ques. Where can I pursue a BTech Computer Science program in India?
Ques. Is BTech in Computer Science a good career option?
Ques. Is Maths required for the BTech Computer Science course?
Ques. Can a Biology student do a BTech Computer Science course?
Ques. How tough is the BTech Computer Science course?